Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Taerkar posted:

Okay? And if that keeps this horrible travesty of a bill from passing it's a bad thing because?

I never said it wasn't bad. In fact, it'd be just swell if McCain killed it forever with his dying breath.

He's still a fuckwad but that's irrelevant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

It's always amusing to see the living embodiment of "The perfect is the enemy of the good" in this thread.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Boon posted:

Are you literally 12 years old?

I just realized about eight months back that trying to be reasonable with you people was useless as you live too far up your own rear end for anything but negativity to break you.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Ze Pollack posted:

see, for example, the democrats' recent brainwave re: "let's signal we no longer are firmly pro-choice"

Look at this tactician who wants to win elections by running up the score in urban areas while not bothering to run anyone with half a chance in half the country. Maybe if we go all out in 2020 we can win 60% of the vote while we lose the White House and Congress.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Mustached Demon posted:

I never said it wasn't bad. In fact, it'd be just swell if McCain killed it forever with his dying breath.

He's still a fuckwad but that's irrelevant.

Agreed.

I really hope that noone in this thread considers McCain to be anything close to decent. That he's done decent things before? Sure, but the balance is still heavily skewed against that.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Paracaidas posted:

But sure. While the GOP is again aiming to trade the lives of Americans for small tax cuts, save your rancor for the Dems who dared to discuss ways to reinforce our system. It's not telling in the slightest.

didn't really address this in your post before, but i save my rancor for dems cause i believe they can be better, while i know republicans are heartless monsters who are beyond redemption. is there really a problem with that?

for example, i wish mccain's glioblastoma was killing him faster and more painfully than it is considering how willing he is to doom the less fortunate to worse fates. do i really need to add that kind of stuff as a footnote to every post?

Condiv fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Sep 20, 2017

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
they can't be better, they're a party of and for the rich and both democrats and republicans deserve nothing but gunshots on the congress floor.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

PerniciousKnid posted:

Look at this tactician who wants to win elections by running up the score in urban areas while not bothering to run anyone with half a chance in half the country. Maybe if we go all out in 2020 we can win 60% of the vote while we lose the White House and Congress.

who do you think you are going to pick up by going soft on reproductive choice, friend

the theory "suburban republicans will vote for democrats if we just lean rightward enough" has been tried. it was not successful. why double down.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Your Parents posted:

they can't be better, they're a party of and for the rich and both democrats and republicans deserve nothing but gunshots on the congress floor.

So you basically get your takes from South Park and dress them up with some keyboard warrior rhetoric, then

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Condiv posted:

why do we need to compromise at all? republicans either have enough votes to shoot themselves in the foot and ruin healthcare for everyone, proving once and for all how monstrous they are, or they don't have enough votes to do it and a compromise only nets us losses like you surmise.

as i said before, i do not see at all how bipartisanly loving up healthcare helps dems at all. we're offering single payer and we're claiming to do everything we can to protect healthcare for americans. bargaining it away weakens us!

Because the status quo, as you are fond of referencing any time healthcare comes up, is not good.

The changes Dems are believed to be asking for would improve and secure coverage and care for some Americans. The changes the (nonTortillaCoast) GOP is seeking would degrade coverage and care for some Americans. It is entirely possible that there is a sweetspot where working on this compromise (not AHCA or GCHJ, which nobody has recommended) will be a benefit to Americans.

Putting zero effort into an alternate solution (and coming after those who are) while allowing Trump and/or Congressional Rs to fuckup the healthcare of millions of Americans in order to prove a partisan point is some ghoulish, callous poo poo. Even if it's in support of some nebulous future "better" plan.

Condiv posted:

do i really need to add that kind of stuff as a footnote to every post?
If you're genuinely asking my input on your posting, I'd be content if you stopped leaping to loving Outraged on crumbs of info/topics you're unfamiliar with and then spinning out gobs of white noise over it for pages at a time. But I understand that's your brand and difficult to change such things. I'll always be tedious, mcmagic will always have an unearned confidence in his political assessments and LeJackal will always have :stonk: views about guns and consent.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
bipartisanship in its dictionary form does not exist among the public writ large, it's a stand in for "I want the other side to capitulate unconditionally to the program I support".

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Crowsbeak posted:

you people

NO, YOU PEOPLE!

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Crowsbeak posted:

I just realized about eight months back that trying to be reasonable with you people was useless as you live too far up your own rear end for anything but negativity to break you.

So is that a confirm.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

apparently dems have been pushing copper plans before, so I don't know why people who are more politically in the know and smarter than me were pretending it's political theater or something schumer didn't actually want: https://www.vox.com/2014/10/28/7083343/obamacare-copper-plans-explained

quote:

Copper plans cover 50 percent of expected health costs (or, as the health wonks put it, they have an "actuarial value" of 50 percent). That means premiums are cheaper than the platinum, gold, bronze or silver plans — the consulting group Avalere Health estimates that copper plan premiums would be 18 percent lower than bronze plan premiums.

But if you get sick, the deductibles and co-pays are much higher. Larry Levitt, a vice president at the Kaiser Family Foundation, says that the deductibles would have to be in the range of $9,000 — which would make them higher than the $6,350 out-of-pocket maximum that the law currently allows.

the $9,000 deductible for copper plans back in 2014 is higher than the current catastrophic plan maximum deductibles for 2017 of $7,150. that's really bad, and schumer should not be supporting it

Condiv fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Sep 20, 2017

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Raskolnikov38 posted:

bipartisanship in its dictionary form does not exist among the public writ large, it's a stand in for "I want the other side to capitulate unconditionally to the program I support".

See also, "I am willing to ignore the demands of some portion of my constituents."

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Quorum posted:

So you basically get your takes from South Park and dress them up with some keyboard warrior rhetoric, then

I didn't know south park promoted armed protest and murder of oligarchs but if so i guess south park is pretty cool now

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Paracaidas posted:

Because the status quo, as you are fond of referencing any time healthcare comes up, is not good.

The changes Dems are believed to be asking for would improve and secure coverage and care for some Americans. The changes the (nonTortillaCoast) GOP is seeking would degrade coverage and care for some Americans. It is entirely possible that there is a sweetspot where working on this compromise (not AHCA or GCHJ, which nobody has recommended) will be a benefit to Americans.

Putting zero effort into an alternate solution (and coming after those who are) while allowing Trump and/or Congressional Rs to fuckup the healthcare of millions of Americans in order to prove a partisan point is some ghoulish, callous poo poo. Even if it's in support of some nebulous future "better" plan.

copper plans are not that sweet spot

more ppaca waivers aren't either

quote:

If you're genuinely asking my input on your posting, I'd be content if you stopped leaping to loving Outraged on crumbs of info/topics you're unfamiliar with and then spinning out gobs of white noise over it for pages at a time. But I understand that's your brand and difficult to change such things. I'll always be tedious, mcmagic will always have an unearned confidence in his political assessments and LeJackal will always have :stonk: views about guns and consent.

i'm asking why you're pretending i love republicans, much like taerkar was earlier

it doesn't make a bit of sense at all

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Paracaidas posted:

you mean the alternate solution that keeps getting proposed that involves single payer that gets repeatedly shot down by fascists and fascist sympathizers for being too government or too taxpayer unfriendly and expensive

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
even though a majority of american citizens and majority of each of these worms' constituents support it

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

so i looked a bit more into what expanding waivers could entail and this is what i found:

medicaid waivers posted:

1. Individual Mandate: States can modify or eliminate the tax penalties imposed on individuals without coverage
2. Employer Mandate: States can modify or eliminate penalties for large employers not offering full-time employees affordable coverage
3. Benefits and Subsidies: States can modify what benefit packages, subsidies, and premium tax credits must be provided
4. Marketplaces and Qualified Health Plans (QHP): States can modify or eliminate these as a source to determine eligibility and enrollment

2 and 3 are already p bad, and I'd hate to see what repubs would like added to that list. but to be eligible for these waivers, certain conditions have to be met and expanded waivers could entail weakening those conditions. so lets look at what they are:

quote:

Comprehensive Coverage: Must be as comprehensive as Marketplace Coverage
Affordability: Must provide protections against excessive out of pocket spending and be as affordable as the Marketplace
Scope of Coverage: Must provide coverage to at least as many people as PPACA does without the waiver
Federal Deficit: Must not increase the federal deficit

yeah, nothing there we want the republicans getting their lovely hands on either. so expanding waivers to appease republicans is almost certainly a bad idea

Condiv fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Sep 20, 2017

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

willa rogers gave me some nice links, including this article that is almost certainly discussing the compromise bill schumer was boosting. here's the deets:

quote:

1.Committing to pay cost-sharing reduction subsidies to insurance companies for at least a year
2.Letting older people on the marketplace buy catastrophic plans, which are cheap premium plans with high out-of-pocket costs.
3.Changes to state innovation waivers

so, number 1 is something that's needed, that's what dems are compromising for. but the problem is that it's a very very short term bandaid and we'd be back at ppaca repeal in a year (after republicans get time freed up for their tax overhaul). this is a bad idea and a non-solution

number 2 is the aforementioned copper plans. unheard of before deductibles and copays at lower premiums. with people barely able to use the mandated health insurance they can currently barely afford, this is also a bad idea

number 3 is real bad though:

quote:

The last big thing to watch for next week is changes made to state innovation waivers. Depending on how the language is changed to the existing waiver, consumer protections could take a hit at the expense of state flexibility.

again, not something the dems should be associating themselves with. these are bad compromises to be making in lieu of standing firm and acting as the last defense of people's healthcare against monstrous republicans who want them to die en masse. and the compromises only buy us a year, which i assume dems hope republicans won't try to repeal ppaca after. despite the fact the aforementioned copper plans and weakening of consumer protections would almost certainly be used in a way to weaken public support for ppaca! remember, one of republicans' favorite tactics for privatization is sabotaging federal programs to prove the US government can't do anything right™!

Condiv fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Sep 21, 2017

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Raskolnikov38 posted:

So this. My cousins idiot husband was saying the dems should be bipartisan with Trump, and when I asked him what he meant, he said. "They should let Trump have a bunch of his bills passed.Bipartisianship is a word used by those who practice team politics and think that the other side should just give up.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

That is trash. If it was fund CSR in perpetuity then it'd still be a bad deal but like, at least I'd understand it a little bit. I cant imagine any Democrat really wants any of that to be law.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Once upon a time I rather liked bipartisanship as a brake on excessively enthusiastic ill thought though ideas to force them to be more incrementalist, but have since concluded that at the best of times the Democratic Party does more than enough watering down and slowing down on its own. :v:

The reason I support some effort for bipartisan work on obvious goods right now is that, uh, otherwise the job of the Dems consists entirely of screaming into the void and establishing messaging. If they judge they can crowbar something good through the only very evil establishment GOP because the establishment isn't in the mood for working with the howling death cultists that week, I'm open to seeing what they come up with (and whether they are willing to walk away if the final form of a deal is unacceptable).

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Once upon a time I rather liked bipartisanship as a brake on excessively enthusiastic ill thought though ideas to force them to be more incrementalist, but have since concluded that at the best of times the Democratic Party does more than enough watering down and slowing down on its own. :v:

The reason I support some effort for bipartisan work on obvious goods right now is that, uh, otherwise the job of the Dems consists entirely of screaming into the void and establishing messaging. If they judge they can crowbar something good through the only very evil establishment GOP because the establishment isn't in the mood for working with the howling death cultists that week, I'm open to seeing what they come up with (and whether they are willing to walk away if the final form of a deal is unacceptable).

THe only thing saving America right now is that we have a senile man who is obsessed with twitter feuds as president.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Not THAT many years ago there were some things that both parties agreed on. That kind of bipartisanship is over because the GOP can't even decide it wants to fix dangerously out of date roads and bridges anymore.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Yeah, (edit: re Condiv's summary) that's basically what I'd seen. I only dislike copper plans because they encourage what amounts to cost discrimination and that's bad.

State waivers could range from acceptable to horrific, and the longer the funding the better. I'd totally be fine with four years, you know? One year is hopefully more about making this a midterm issue while preserving the ACA until then.

Tldr: as discussion points I'm okay with the concept, and if the final version was bad on cost benefit it'd be time to walk away.

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat

The Kingfish posted:

We need to brainstorm a scarier and more accurate name for what is currently called "Right to Work" and a better name for whatever the alternative is because I don't even know it.

Fired without Cause State

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

The Kingfish posted:

We need to brainstorm a scarier and more accurate name for what is currently called "Right to Work" and a better name for whatever the alternative is because I don't even know it.

Oooh, I know!

The "You're Fired Econo..."

...wait, wait, no, we tried that already.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Majorian posted:

Oooh, I know!

The "You're Fired Econo..."

...wait, wait, no, we tried that already.

Why don't we just call our thing "Right to Work" also? It's not like words have any meaning anymore.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

The Kingfish posted:

right to die in the gutter

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Hellblazer187 posted:

Not THAT many years ago there were some things that both parties agreed on. That kind of bipartisanship is over because the GOP can't even decide it wants to fix dangerously out of date roads and bridges anymore.

You're describing the symptoms more than the causes. The RWM bubble lasting decades is a big part of it, where we're getting a higher proportion of total lunatics who aren't just parroting proto Tea Party rationales to justify giving more money to the rich, but who actually believe em.

Thirty years ago we were in the Age of Reagan, sure, but we had more Murkowskis and fewer Mike Lees.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Sexual Aluminum posted:

Fired without Cause State

That's not what right to work means

I like Freedom to Freeload myself, puts the moral defectiveness on the scabs

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

GreyjoyBastard posted:

You're describing the symptoms more than the causes. The RWM bubble lasting decades is a big part of it, where we're getting a higher proportion of total lunatics who aren't just parroting proto Tea Party rationales to justify giving more money to the rich, but who actually believe em.

Thirty years ago we were in the Age of Reagan, sure, but we had more Murkowskis and fewer Mike Lees.

It wasn't just the rwm media bubble. It was the liberal media bubble. The liberal media bubble told people that they no longer needed to have beliefs in any great cause, that people going to elite schools dominating government was good thing, because obviously that meant they were the most qualified. That instead of treating politics as a conflict of ideologies it was instead nothing more then a game between people far smarter then themselves and it could work itself all out. That we were living in a time of post racial politics and we had no reason to worry about people being gunned down unjustly by the police or all the open racism we were hearing. RWM and Liberal media went hand in hand.

Crowsbeak fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Sep 21, 2017

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

GreyjoyBastard posted:

That's not what right to work means

I like Freedom to Freeload myself, puts the moral defectiveness on the scabs

you're too focused on being exact

is the estate tax really a death tax? did ppaca have death panels? nah

right to work and at will employment are frequently advanced together, so blurring the lines on them is ok, and makes the republicans waste their time fighting back and saying "no right to work just means scabs can scab all they want!" instead of pushing their own bullshit

the more in depth republicans go on their lovely plans, the less people like them. so force them to detail their lovely plans instead of being able to repeat nice soundbites like patriot act, right to work, etc.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I'm just saying that there was once a bipartisanship that wasn't just "dems giving up" because there were things that both sides thought were OK. So some oldy who wants "bipartisanship" is probably thinking about those days and not realize they are part of the problem when they call Obama a socialist for pushing the the Heritage Foundation's healthcare plan.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Hellblazer187 posted:

I'm just saying that there was once a bipartisanship that wasn't just "dems giving up" because there were things that both sides thought were OK. So some oldy who wants "bipartisanship" is probably thinking about those days and not realize they are part of the problem when they call Obama a socialist for pushing the the Heritage Foundation's healthcare plan.

It existed because there was enough of an activist left that the moneyed interest had to compromise.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Condiv posted:

you're too focused on being exact

is the estate tax really a death tax? did ppaca have death panels? nah

right to work and at will employment are frequently advanced together, so blurring the lines on them is ok, and makes the republicans waste their time fighting back and saying "no right to work just means scabs can scab all they want!" instead of pushing their own bullshit

the more in depth republicans go on their lovely plans, the less people like them. so force them to detail their lovely plans instead of being able to repeat nice soundbites like patriot act, right to work, etc.

You know what, I hate to say this, but good point Condiv. :saddowns: Nuance makes for good policy but loses to moronic simplification in messaging.

Haven't heard a good catchy rename for at will yet though.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Condiv posted:

willa rogers gave me some nice links
Willa and Condiv, two people best known for their understanding of what Dems are actually doing :jerkbag: That sure is a terrifying ThinkProgressTM piece. It'd be comically inept for Schumer and the Dems to be giving all of that up for essentially nothing. I'd be right there on the ramparts with you, if it's actually happening or there was any meaningful indication it's what the Dems actually were offering to give away. Of course, there isn't (because it's not). But we go back to the theme of hyperventilation over your own hyperbole.

Condiv posted:

copper plans are not that sweet spot

more ppaca waivers aren't either
The copper plans your Vox link describes from 3 years ago certainly aren't. With the right limitations and restrictions, they could be. Similarly, your nightmare scenario ACA waivers would be a disaster. So awful that I can't imagine why any Dem, much less the 8+ that they need, would be willing to give them to the GOP. It must because the Dems are literally unimaginably bad, and not that your worst cases aren't what's actually occurring.

Condiv posted:

i'm asking why you're pretending i love republicans, much like taerkar was earlier

it doesn't make a bit of sense at all
In which you prove the point of the post you quote. In your haste to get red, mad, and nude, you seem to have missed that neither Taerkar have claimed you love Republicans. I can see why such a charge wouldn't make sense to you, given that nobody made it.

Your Parents posted:

you mean the alternate solution that keeps getting proposed that involves single payer that gets repeatedly shot down by fascists and fascist sympathizers for being too government or too taxpayer unfriendly and expensive
The solution you reference wouldn't be able to help Americans until 2021 at the absolute earliest. It would also need to undergo substantial revision to be a functional alternative, not least of which is committing to the slate of tax increases needed to fund itself. In a perfect world, it would also avoid granting exclusive power over coverage and budget to Secretary of HHS because, as we're seeing with the CSR, turns out that's a dumb loving way to administer your program.

A nonbatshit compromise for funding the CSRs, expanding waivers (some version of which desired by leadership and unions in both D and R states), and weakening coverage requirements could begin helping people the moment it's signed. As you may recall, our healthcare system is terrible, so I would think that this is a priority.

To be explicit (because evidently this is required): Recognizing the potential for noninsane compromises does not mean I support eliminating the mandate, flooding the market with tragically substandard plans, and/or allowing states to drastically reduce the level/quantity/quality of coverage provided

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Paracaidas posted:

Willa and Condiv, two people best known for their understanding of what Dems are actually doing :jerkbag: That sure is a terrifying ThinkProgressTM piece. It'd be comically inept for Schumer and the Dems to be giving all of that up for essentially nothing. I'd be right there on the ramparts with you, if it's actually happening or there was any meaningful indication it's what the Dems actually were offering to give away. Of course, there isn't (because it's not). But we go back to the theme of hyperventilation over your own hyperbole.

mccaskill was boosting the copper plans just last month.

dunno why you're still trying to play it off paracaidas. especially by claiming that the thinkprogress source is flawed and incorrect somehow without actuall stating any factual objection

quote:

The copper plans your Vox link describes from 3 years ago certainly aren't. With the right limitations and restrictions, they could be. Similarly, your nightmare scenario ACA waivers would be a disaster. So awful that I can't imagine why any Dem, much less the 8+ that they need, would be willing to give them to the GOP. It must because the Dems are literally unimaginably bad, and not that your worst cases aren't what's actually occurring.

machin, tim kaine, and 5 other dems were pushing the copper plan in the vox link in 2014, so i dunno why you think this one in 2017 that has the exact same name would be any better? at the very least, it's an extension of catastrophic plans to the entire population instead of under 30s. most likely it's exactly what dems were pushing in 2014. at worst it's worse than even that. none of those are good. neither are changes to waivers

quote:

In which you prove the point of the post you quote. In your haste to get red, mad, and nude, you seem to have missed that neither Taerkar have claimed you love Republicans. I can see why such a charge wouldn't make sense to you, given that nobody made it.

:rolleyes: oh please

it was fairly obvious you two were implying that i think dems are worse than republicans

Condiv fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Sep 21, 2017

• Locked thread