Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Trebuchet King posted:

culinarily speaking, a tomato is a vegetable. squash is a vegetable. bananas are a fruit. idk if there's a botany thread, but ...you wouldn't put tomatoes in a fruit salad, and dollars to donuts they're one of first things to toss into a vegetable soup
and? none of what you said addresses how 'fruit' is defined. tomatoes, squash and bananas all have seeds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

We all understand that tomato is actually a fruit. We all understand that by the definition of a fruit a tomato is a fruit.

In the context of cooking people use tomatoes as vegetables. This isn't hard to understand.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Elizabethan Error posted:

and? none of what you said addresses how 'fruit' is defined. tomatoes, squash and bananas all have seeds.

The point is that you're mixing definitions. Botanically, yes, a tomato is a fruit, and so is a squash. Culinarily, both are vegetables.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Think of it as the different between spectral color and pigment color.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
Obviously, it's analogous to an airplane on a treadmill

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

yeah, i mean, i explicitly said "botanically speaking" twice now, so you're really doing nothing but being a tremendous grognard for grognardism's sake. this is a food thread, most of us probably don't give half a poo poo about botanical classifications. if you wanna open up a place where all your dishes are based on botanical distinctions go ahead but like 90% of your clientele is gonna ask your servers what the gently caress tomatoes are doing in their fruit salad.

Loutre
Jan 14, 2004

✓COMFY
✓CLASSY
✓HORNY
✓PEPSI
Every year I put up a couple of cherry tomato plants, and every year as soon as it ripens I make all these plans to make sauce or do something with it. Instead I just stand there like a fat retard and eat every god damned ripe fruit with a big fat smile on my face, then get sad when they're gone.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Loutre posted:

Every year I put up a couple of cherry tomato plants, and every year as soon as it ripens I make all these plans to make sauce or do something with it. Instead I just stand there like a fat retard and eat every god damned ripe fruit with a big fat smile on my face, then get sad when they're gone.

A good use of tomato.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Hell yeah found Ottolengi's Plenty More for free in my apartment's lobby :bubblewoop:

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

theres a will theres moe posted:

Obviously, it's analogous to an airplane on a treadmill
0.9999... airplane on 1.0 treadmill

therattle posted:

Wtf is a ground cherry?
Delicious.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

[quote="“Loutre”" post="“476599707”"]
Every year I put up a couple of cherry tomato plants, and every year as soon as it ripens I make all these plans to make sauce or do something with it. Instead I just stand there like a fat retard and eat every god damned ripe fruit with a big fat smile on my face, then get sad when they’re gone.
[/quote]

That’s all anyone does with good cherry tomatoes.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
Is an airplane on a treadmill a sandwich?

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Jyrraeth posted:

Hell yeah found Ottolengi's Plenty More for free in my apartment's lobby :bubblewoop:

I thought it being sealed in my moving box was enough signal that it wasn't free t:mad:

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Loutre posted:

The way this usually goes is there isn't enough tomatoes for sauce. So I should eat them now. Then more tomatoes ripen, but not enough for sauce...

And so on. :q:

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Is an airplane on a treadmill a sandwich?

Only if it has beans.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

But is Skyline Chili chili?

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.

Wisdom is shutting the gently caress up about it because no-one cares.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
You guys wanna argue about circumcision too?

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Pollyanna posted:

gently caress did I ever do to you? I don't like the taste, don't attack me for it.

if "restating your original post" is "attacking you" I don't really know what to say, pollyanna, I just don't really know.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
Watermelons are just berries you haven't met yet

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Fo3 posted:

Ideas, tips, recipe or links appreciated. I don't think anything else I've got to play with could be prepped by tomorrow and I've got to stretch this meal plan/ budget out anyway.
I've made it many times before so I think I have most ingredients already.

I looked at a few recipes and took bits from each as to method. Some use fresh tomatoes; I just had canned and they worked very well.

Finely dice an onion.
Heat oil and fry about 1tsp cumin seeds until they pop.
Turn heat to medium-low and fry onions until soft and translucent
Add 1/2 tsp turmeric, 1 tsp ground coriander, and if using chili powder instead of fresh chilies, that. Stir.
Mince about 6 cloves of garlic and a decent lump of ginger (by hand, in mini food processor, or mortar and pestle), and add to pan shortly after adding spices.
Cook for a couple of minutes, without burning garlic and ginger (maybe turn heat down)
Add tinned chopped tomatoes and can of drained rinsed chickpeas, and if needed a bit of water to thin it.
Cook for around 20 minutes until it has thickened again.
Add salt, pepper, 1 tsp (or more to taste) of garam masala, a tiny bit of sugar if desired, and a good squeeze of lemon juice.
Cook for a minute or two then serve. Garnish with fresh coriander if that filthy muck is your bag.

Some recipes add garam masala with other spices at the beginning, others at the end.

I served it with brown rice and dino's carrot stir-fry adapted to cabbage (because we had cabbage). It's an amazing recipe that also works well with kale. Not just fantastically delicious but an excellent effort: reward ratio.

Scientastic posted:

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.

Wisdom is shutting the gently caress up about it because no-one cares.

:golfclap:

Loutre posted:

Why not try to think of a different expression to "fat retard"?

Loutre
Jan 14, 2004

✓COMFY
✓CLASSY
✓HORNY
✓PEPSI

therattle posted:

Why not try to think of a different expression to "fat retard"?

Because nothing else succinctly describes what it looks like when I stand in front of my mater bush. There are a dozen ways I could describe it, but I chose the most accurate one.

Edit: Sorry, that was rude. Don't want to start a poo poo-fest; I'll try and stop using the word in the future.

Loutre fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Sep 21, 2017

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Thanks. I've seen what you mentioned with early or late additions before, especially with ginger. It just depends if you want it to be at the forefront or as a background note. I have pretty low quality old garam masala so I would use it early. I sometimes like fresh ginger or some spices or sauces added near the end.

I ended up doing a sweet potato and cauli curry last night.
Roasted the cauli with curry power, roasted the sweet potato with garum masala. (toasted coriander and feungreek seeds while the oven was on and then ground). Fried some mustard and cumin seeds then onion, garlic, ginger and capsicum. Added the coriander, fenugreek and some chillli. Then fried some tamarind concentrate until "dissolved", then coconut milk and chickpeas. Reduced and added the roasted cauli and sweet potato. I'm pretty sure that's a mongrel of a recipe that isn't out there in the real world.

Sometimes I use canned tomato and add lemon or fish sauce to that recipe (omitting the coconut milk and tamarind) Also I usually use butternut squash/pumpkin, but my kid hates that so I switched to sweet potato this time. But what you did is something I can do if I have no veg so it's helpful. I could even add frozen spinach to it or something.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Sep 21, 2017

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Loutre posted:

This never would have happened if the tomatoes had a gun.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

iospace posted:

But is Skyline Chili chili?

I don't know. Is chili that you've passed chili?

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Do we have a mustard thread? I've been goddamned addicted to Pommerry meaux mustard with cognac in. But I hate the stupid cork lid. There has to be a better product without that loving lid.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

BrianBoitano posted:

I thought it being sealed in my moving box was enough signal that it wasn't free t:mad:

Sorry dude, it mine now

Didn't take the Lego kits, though, you can make your own book from scratch

I'm exited though, especially since I live somewhere with a higher middle Eastern population, I can get labneh without having to spend 90mins on a bus

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

therattle posted:

Wtf is a ground cherry?

Any of multiple species in genus Physalis, yet another edible member of the Nightshade family. The Cape gooseberry is probably the most widely available Physalis commercially - it looks like a quarter-scale tomatillo (including protective husk), is yellow when ripe, and is fairly acidic but sweet, similar to pineapple or strawberry. Other varieties are typically smaller but with similar flavor. In the Midwest we made jam out of them and it was the most delicious thing.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

dino. posted:

Do we have a mustard thread? I've been goddamned addicted to Pommerry meaux mustard with cognac in. But I hate the stupid cork lid. There has to be a better product without that loving lid.

People sometimes post about mustard in the hot sauce thread

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3639148

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
did someone really just get retard-wordchoice woke social-moray slurshamed on an internet comedy forum about cooking, because I'm sorry, that's loving retarded (accurate/best wordchoice selected)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
the post that healed a nation : the one where xXcumlord55555manbabyXx paused and thought for a second before he posted his thoughts on ragu sauces : "hey, maybe I should use 'developmentally-challenged' in this context rather than the 'R' word"

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Boy you're so edgy. :smugjones:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Good gravy!

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Gravy sounds like a much better topic. Let's go with that.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Should I only use san marzano tomatoes as the base for my sauces, or would that be too much ragu signaling?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

bartolimu posted:

Any of multiple species in genus Physalis, yet another edible member of the Nightshade family. The Cape gooseberry is probably the most widely available Physalis commercially - it looks like a quarter-scale tomatillo (including protective husk), is yellow when ripe, and is fairly acidic but sweet, similar to pineapple or strawberry. Other varieties are typically smaller but with similar flavor. In the Midwest we made jam out of them and it was the most delicious thing.

Thanks! I grew up in South Africa where a Cape gooseberry was just a gooseberry. I love them; they're so good.

mindphlux posted:

did someone really just get retard-wordchoice woke social-moray slurshamed on an internet comedy forum about cooking, because I'm sorry, that's loving retarded (accurate/best wordchoice selected)

Maybe it's because my son has Down's Syndrome that I really don't like that word, which is why I politely asked that poster not to use it. Because they realised that they'd made a mistake and they're not an absolute oval office who has to be ever-so-edgy, they politely agreed. You're just an rear end in a top hat. Go and gently caress yourself.

Liquid Communism posted:

Gravy sounds like a much better topic. Let's go with that.

I once made a bath full of gravy as a joke. This was at my prospective in-laws holiday cottage. The joke was on me, as the bath stained brown. After scrubbing it about five times I eventually got it clean with bleach. It's still one of things I'm proudest of. (The gravy bath, that is, not managing to get it clean).

therattle fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Sep 21, 2017

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Do you mean you made the gravy in the bath somehow, or that you made a bath's worth of gravy and poured it into the bath?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Do you mean you made the gravy in the bath somehow, or that you made a bath's worth of gravy and poured it into the bath?

I filled the tub about halfway through and poured an entire jar of gravy granules into it. The friends staying with us were meant to go into their bathroom at some point, at which I'd have said "oh! Someone must have run you a nice hot gravy bath!" (Inspired by Victorian mustard baths), but they never bloody did.

PS I have photographs.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Next time pour in a bunch of instant mashed potatoes. Those won't stain anything!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Next time pour in a bunch of instant mashed potatoes. Those won't stain anything!

That's an excellent idea! Mmm...bath of mashed potatoes...

PROBLEM: they won't go down the drain easily without blocking it.