Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Grandpas were out there risking their lives to kill nazis and that's as cool as it gets.

Hmm. Time is making it the Great Grandpas at this point....

Grandpas invented Cool Jazz.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Grandpas like hard candies and fishing both of which are boring and both I can imagine Sheev doing!

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

*Sheev digs around a bag of jolly ranchers and pulls out green apple.*

Hello, my little green friend.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Sheev is literally Space Satan. Of course he's cool.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Should have been Brad Bird :negative:

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Detective No. 27 posted:

Grandpas were out there risking their lives to kill nazis and that's as cool as it gets.

Hmm. Time is making it the Great Grandpas at this point.

Was just about to post: My (great) grandpa had bullet wound scars from fighting nazis at the battle of the bulge and he helped build the fastest and coolest jets ever built (SR-71s) plus he's the one who took me to the drive-in to see ESB for the first time back in '81.

Some o y'all may have busted rear end low rent grandpas, but you can straight miss me with that sentiment.

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now
*in very Palpatine voice*
Is this the Home Shopping Channel?
I would like to order the HomeSuite 400TC Cotton Floral Jacquard Reversible Duvet Cover.
Yes, for my apprentice. He's--
Queen.
He'll love it. Green, yes. It's his color. He hasn't been--
No, AmEx. He hasn'--
Oh yes, then Visa.
Yes. It's on file.
Yes.
You had the most lovely little crystal figurine--
No.
216, but my eyes aren't what they used to--
It does look comfortable, and may--
Yes. That's the mailing address.
No, I will save my points.
Oh yes, he'll have to visit when I tell him there's a package for him.
Thank you.
And your na--?
Thank you, Linda. You're very swee--
You have a nice da--

Oh, she hung up.

Oh well.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Grendels Dad posted:

Vader may have been her father. But he was never her daddy.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

rian johnson seems ok, but id oubt there will be anything half as cool as the podrace in star wars 8. thats my hot take thanks bye

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
To this day I'm still conflicted on the podrace. The race itself goes on so long (especially the current cut of it) and it kinda kills the pacing of the story; especially since it's only intercut with spectators and not a B plot.

But dammit, it's so cool and has some of the coolest visual designs and sound design of the saga.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

More movies should have chariot races.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Schwarzwald posted:

I can't believe Lucas wrote a love story between an uplifted slave and a Queen of paradise and their interactions were accidentally awkward.

George Lucas posted:

This one does have a love story which is quite a bit different. It's, you know, a necessary part of the plot that's being told, in Anakin's journey. That was challenging in its own way because Star Wars films have a tendency to be very action-oriented, and to be able to slow down a little bit and tell a love story in the middle of it, uhh... was uhh... a challenge to be able to make that happen. But I think we pulled it off pretty well.

Intentionality isn't a big deal if you think those scenes land anyway, but it's pretty silly to suggest that Lucas couldn't have messed something up when even he admits that what he was trying to do with Episode 2 was different and more challenging.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

jivjov posted:

But dammit, it's so cool and has some of the coolest visual designs and sound design of the saga.

Seems like an excellent thing to put in a movie imho.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Detective No. 27 posted:

Not empty quoting

Was episode 1 the last great cinematic chariot race? I didn't see the new Ben-Hur, I'd assumed they did some speed-ramping on some horses biting the dust but that's it

Barudak
May 7, 2007

jivjov posted:

To this day I'm still conflicted on the podrace. The race itself goes on so long (especially the current cut of it) and it kinda kills the pacing of the story; especially since it's only intercut with spectators and not a B plot.

I think thats really the Prequels in a nutshell. Everything they do in their scope and span is fantastic, but the actual nitty gritty pacing and interconnection leaves a lot of people cold.

Pod Race rules and its especially staggering when you think about how much "new" stuff Episode 1 adds versus Episode 7

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

jivjov posted:

One of the things I love about Star Wars is that sometimes, this is all the reason a sequence needs to exist. Lucas likes fast cars and old movies, so let's have a big old sci-fi car/chariot race, because sometimes you just gotta get some cool poo poo on the big screen. If it allows for some character moments and furthers the plot, even better, but that's not the priority.

See also: the TIE fighter attack in ANH, the asteroid chase in ESB, the speeder bike chase in ROTJ, the Coruscant chase in AOTC, and the Grievous chase in ROTS, to name a few.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It is also Greg Proops greatest film role which counts for something .

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Sheev would be cool if he was a podracer, but only then.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Penpal posted:

Not empty quoting

Was episode 1 the last great cinematic chariot race? I didn't see the new Ben-Hur, I'd assumed they did some speed-ramping on some horses biting the dust but that's it

The new Ben-Hur movie constructed an actual replica hippodrome and had stuntmen race actual horse chariots.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

The MSJ posted:

The new Ben-Hur movie constructed an actual replica hippodrome and had stuntmen race actual horse chariots.

How many died?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

sassassin posted:

How many died?

Out of the 22 stuntmen, only Ben Hurt

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Snooze Cruise posted:

Out of the 22 stuntmen, only Ben Hurt

Jfc

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

JC was still in the movie, but does not F.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

The MSJ posted:

JC was still in the movie, but does not F.

Now in Ben Girth...

Mr President
Nov 13, 2016

by Lowtax

Milky Moor posted:

There's a lot of stupidity in this thread but thinking Sheev "The Senate" Palpatine isn't a cool dude might just take the cake.

you know at first I wanted all new villains for this trilogy but after seeing the garbage characters they created in TFA I would absolutely love if they somehow brought Palpatine back. Either as a force ghost, as Snokes true identity, or as someone who has been in the background pulling the strings the whole time. It would be so satisfying.

Super Fan
Jul 16, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

euphronius posted:

It is also Greg Proops greatest film role which counts for something .

Incidentally, he did not like TPM

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Super Fan posted:

Incidentally, he did not like TPM

It's ok I love his podcast anyway

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

https://twitter.com/RealRonHoward/status/910629203665702912

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Is that the Kessel that Han runs through?

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Mr President posted:

you know at first I wanted all new villains for this trilogy but after seeing the garbage characters they created in TFA I would absolutely love if they somehow brought Palpatine back. Either as a force ghost, as Snokes true identity, or as someone who has been in the background pulling the strings the whole time. It would be so satisfying.

Ghost Palpatine played by Ian McDiarmid would unironically be awesome. He began as a figurative phantom menace, then literally becomes one.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Yeah I don't know that I want Palpatine for plot reasons, but goddamn if I wouldn't be psyched to see a giant hologram McDiarmid chewing the scenery one more time.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Sci-fi original set quality right there.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I've not seen too much of it here on SA, but elsewhere on the Internet. I've seen complaints that TLJ marketing has been "slower" than TFA. Someone took the time to map the two against each other:

https://twitter.com/nafroberts/status/910660351208943617

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

jivjov posted:

Someone took the time to map the two against each other:

why

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
[quote="“well why not”" post="“476610550”"]
why
[/quote]

To prove the naysayers wrong, I guess? I dunno, I didn't make it, just thought I'd share it.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

But the marketing for The Last Jedi started the night The Force Awakens premired.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Detective No. 27 posted:

Agreed. I get confused when people criticize the pod race so harshly. I think it's mostly from being a bit long, and people get wrapped up in bashing the movie as a whole so much that they attack everything in it, because nothing in the movie could possibly be good. "And then that pod race..." *makes hand jerk off motion* "...am I right?"

On rewatches, it's probably my favorite sequence of the movie, more so than the lightsaber fight at the end, which I've grown a bit more cold on. The race is so well shot, making what's going on pretty clear, when it could have been confusing. Lot's of interesting aliens all over the place, great design on the pods themselves, and god drat did Ben Burtt bring his A game with the sound design. I could do without the cuts to the audience so much, and Jabba being there for pure fan service (along with Warwick Davis watching with Watto) was entirely unnecessary, but other than that, I love it.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Sep 21, 2017

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

How are you using "pure fan service" there . I don't know what you mean .

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

euphronius posted:

How are you using "pure fan service" there . I don't know what you mean .

Having Jabba and Warwick Davis make cameos here doesn't really add anything to the scene other than, "Oh hey, I know them!" The scene wouldn't be any lesser if Jabba was cut out of it. He's there so they could include Jabba in the trailers, which they did.

Mainly I'm talking about Jabba. Warwick Davis is there as a side character cameo, which is fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

He was the stand in for the Roman magistrate or emperor in a chariot or gladiator scene. Who else could it have been . Another Hutt I guess.

Traditionally a high level magistrate or the emperor would start chariot races and so did Jabba.

• Locked thread