Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I finally scored a GB micro so is this the best cart for it?

EXSEK EZFlash IV EZ4 Cartridge flash cart for gameboy advance GBA SP https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01ALF0BKM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_vNhWzbB3TTJ0E

I seem to recall that it was mentioned in the thread before but I just want to make sure before I pull the trigger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

MarcusSA posted:

I finally scored a GB micro so is this the best cart for it?

EXSEK EZFlash IV EZ4 Cartridge flash cart for gameboy advance GBA SP https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01ALF0BKM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_vNhWzbB3TTJ0E

I seem to recall that it was mentioned in the thread before but I just want to make sure before I pull the trigger.

I forgot the discussion on this one, I don't remember if it was a rebadge or a clone, but the EZFlash IV is definitely what you want if you want the cart to be flush. The GBA Everdrive is larger and would stick out.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

8-bit Miniboss posted:

I forgot the discussion on this one, I don't remember if it was a rebadge or a clone, but the EZFlash IV is definitely what you want if you want the cart to be flush. The GBA Everdrive is larger and would stick out.

Functionality should be the same shouldn't it?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

MarcusSA posted:

Functionality should be the same shouldn't it?

You don't need to prepatch games on the Everdrive, it's drag and drop. Also quicker ROM loading times.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

8-bit Miniboss posted:

You don't need to prepatch games on the Everdrive, it's drag and drop. Also quicker ROM loading times.

Oh hmm I'll definitely have to get the Everdrive then.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Keep in mind that it's going to stick out a lot, since it uses the same kind of case as things like Boktai or Warioware Twisted did.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Elliotw2 posted:

Keep in mind that it's going to stick out a lot, since it uses the same kind of case as things like Boktai or Warioware Twisted did.

Yeah I read that.

That's ok though it's worth it not to have to deal with the hassle of the IV.

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

univbee posted:

Your friend needs to Kickstarter this thing.

He's done a few other projects, like this adapter for plugging Famicom peripherals into an NES, but no Kickstarters yet.

https://m.imgur.com/a/DMf0T

Dr. Spitesworth
Dec 31, 2007
Yoink.

Kid Fenris posted:

He's done a few other projects, like this adapter for plugging Famicom peripherals into an NES, but no Kickstarters yet.

This is incredible!

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Kid Fenris posted:

Well that's not where I expect those cables to have to go. Neat!

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

FF IX just came out on PS4, and TGS further announced a 4K remastered Dragon's Crown, as well as PSVR versions of Gungrave and Zone of the Enders. If PS3 doesn't declare itself retro soon it won't have any games left. :v:

UnhandledException
Jun 27, 2016

Not enough memories.

Kid Fenris posted:

Dr. Spitesworth posted:

This is incredible!

I hate to say it but there's already a board for sale called the ENIO EXP. It even has the resistor for Famicom expansion sound if you don't want to solder or permanently mod your NES.

UnhandledException fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Sep 27, 2017

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I thought you all would love this:

http://www.pcgamer.com/zeldas-most-dedicated-fan-game-developers-built-an-engine-anyone-can-use/

Shadow Hog posted:

According to dark10xl from Digital Foundry, CRT-Sharp is based on a Sony PVM, while CRT Soft is based on a Commodore 1084. Whether they're using stock shaders for the effect or not, however, I wouldn't know.

I just wish other emulators would use whatever the hell he specifically used. It's the only time I ever liked a filter over the pixelated version!

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
OSSC orders are being shipped today. :woop:

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

Thats awesome, I like that the engine is standalone so you can still use it with your own assets. Make a clone instead of a fan game so you don't have to take it down later.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

I thought you all would love this:

http://www.pcgamer.com/zeldas-most-dedicated-fan-game-developers-built-an-engine-anyone-can-use/

I just wish other emulators would use whatever the hell he specifically used. It's the only time I ever liked a filter over the pixelated version!

Well yeah, a lot of people just make a "CRT filter" based off vague memories of Grandma's old broken TV, so they look like total poo poo.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Lain Iwakura posted:

OSSC orders are being shipped today. :woop:

Is this the September batch or October? I'm part of the later batch.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Kid Fenris posted:

Did those famicom peripherals use the expansion slot?

I would figure they'd use a controller port and that plugging those wires into the expansion wouldn't necessarily work.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

The famicom didn't have controller ports. It's controllers were wired into the system

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Kelp Plankton posted:

The famicom didn't have controller ports. It's controllers were wired into the system

Ahhhh that's right. Now it all makes sense.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Zaphod42 posted:

Did those famicom peripherals use the expansion slot?

I would figure they'd use a controller port and that plugging those wires into the expansion wouldn't necessarily work.

The original Famicom didn't have controller ports since they were hard-wired controllers, they only had the one expansion port. So if you want to use external controllers, they had to slap on to that.

And the NES's covered expansion port has all the same signal lines plus a few more, so you can adapt the Famicom expansion plug easily to match up to the proper pinouts.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

EDIT Goddammit, I got fishmeched.

There was a weird connector for a third controller, actually, on the front of the Famicom (on the side of Famicom AV)

That's where the Japanese Zapper and 4-player adapters plug into, and there were bunch of third party controllers including ones with Turbo which plugged into there.

Like the 2nd-player Microphone and the extra sound passthrough in the cartridge slot, how this was pathed on the American NES is all hosed, hence why most/all of those require going through the unused expansion port on the bottom.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Hah, thought that was going to be Zelda Classic. Had a lot of fun with that way back when.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Rirse posted:

Is this the September batch or October? I'm part of the later batch.
It's the September batch. I ordered mine in June.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Arc System Works have announced a compilation of the NES Kunio-kun games for Steam, Switch, PS4 and Xbone, coming out next year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qN-nzpFo54g

The collection will include 11 of the Famicom games and, as a bonus, four of the NES-era localizations, with online play support piled on top:

quote:

Downtown Nekketsu Koushinkyoku
Nekketsu Koukou Dodge Ball Bu
Nekketsu Kakutou Densetsu
Nekketsu! Street Basket
Nekketsu Koukou Dodge Ball Bu: Soccer Hen
Bikkuri Nekketsu Shinkiroku: Harukanaru Kin Medal
Kunio-kun no Nekketsu Soccer League
Ike Ike! Nekketsu Hockey Bu
Nekketsu Kouha Kunio-kun
Downtown Nekketsu Monogatari
Kunio-kun no Jidaigeki da yo Zen’in Shuugou!

Renegade
Super Dodge Ball
River City Ransom
Crash ‘n the Boys Street Challenge

This could be pretty cool, depending on how well the netcode works.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

This got lost in the shuffle a little bit ago, asking again so I can either make this work or just dump the whole thing and free up some hard drive space -

I'm having issues with FB Alpha, specifically that, even when it's set to look for roms in the directory I indicate (where all the files are) it still comes back and says "nah, nothing here." The romset I'm using and the release of the emulator match, version-wise. It also takes like five minutes for it to scan, so it's not just skipping town, it's clearly reading SOMETHING and finding it wanting. Has anyone else used this emulator before/seen anything like this?

E: HOLY poo poo NEVER loving MIND

so this thing has a checkbox for "show unavailable" like a lot of emulators do, totally reasonable.

it also has a checkbox for "show available"

which is unchecked by default

gently caress me

hexwren fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Sep 20, 2017

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
just use mame

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I use mame for all the arcade stuff, I grabbed this for TG16 emulation, which I've never gotten to try before. Hell, I've never even been in the same room as one, apart from at retro game shops. It works now, though. What games should I be trying? I basically know nothing about the system other than the two pinball games. and bonk.

but seriously, why would you code in a checkbox for "show available games" and not have it on by default?

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

hexwren posted:

but seriously, why would you code in a checkbox for "show available games" and not have it on by default?

My only guess is that people setting it up for couch or cabinet use might grab full romsets by default (which is what I imagine everyone does), but would rather hand-pick what games appear in the menu so that they don't have to scroll past 18,000 mahjong games (or other games that their control schemes don't support).

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

How do they do it?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

How do they do it?

I honestly couldn't tell you.. :stare: (Avatar-sized)

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I honestly couldn't tell you.. :stare: (Avatar-sized)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8720XS-pquc

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

The Kins posted:

Arc System Works have announced a compilation of the NES Kunio-kun games for Steam, Switch, PS4 and Xbone, coming out next year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qN-nzpFo54g

The collection will include 11 of the Famicom games and, as a bonus, four of the NES-era localizations, with online play support piled on top:

This could be pretty cool, depending on how well the netcode works.

A version of super dodge ball without flicker hopefully??

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Harlock posted:

It's just going to be a rom and a lovely emulator in a wrapper.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Is this not the same collection available on the 3DS in Japan?

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Harlock posted:

There are Super Dodgeball games on PC-Engine and Neo*Geo, try those.

hexwren posted:

I use mame for all the arcade stuff, I grabbed this for TG16 emulation, which I've never gotten to try before. Hell, I've never even been in the same room as one, apart from at retro game shops. It works now, though. What games should I be trying? I basically know nothing about the system other than the two pinball games. and bonk.

I would recommend BizHawk for console/computer emulation. All their cores are pretty accurate and it involves much less hassle to set up than RetroArch or FB Alpha. Its only issue is some input lag, since there's no true fullscreen mode.

As far as PCE/TG16 games go, there are a ton of good ones. Especially if you like shmups. A bunch of good arcade ports: toaplan games, irem games, Raiden, etc. And some neat exclusives like:

Coryoon
Soldier Blade
Sinistron
Gate/Lords of Thunder
Cyber Core
Override
Star Parodia

Nonshmups:

Legendary Axe
Neutopia
Dragon's Curse (best version of Wonderboy 3)
Appare! Gateball (only croquet video game I know of)
Bloody Wolf
Several Bomberman games
China Warrior
Dungeon Explorer
Dracula X, if you've not played it on PSP/VC, wherever else they ported it to.

Tons more. Check out here (and here for CDs) as well as here to browse the library. Ignore PCESB's reviews on games, they are wrong and stupid sometimes. Just read the descriptions and look at the screenshots.

Ofecks fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Sep 20, 2017

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
Shame on you for skipping Alien Crush and Devil's Crush (no I don't care that he called them "the two pinball games" :toot: haha)

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Caitlin posted:

Shame on you for skipping Alien Crush and Devil's Crush (no I don't care that he called them "the two pinball games" :toot: haha)

I would have referred to them by name, but I was half asleep and couldn't remember if they ended in "crush" or "crash"

vkeios
May 7, 2007

Lol if you don't have crushes on aliens and devils.

That's my helpful way to remember.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Or a crush on a guy or a girl named Jackie

• Locked thread