Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Siets posted:

How is it that people are able to streamsnipe in this game? With the absurd concurrent players the game is pulling in right now as well as typical Twitch stream delay, wouldn't you have to be incredibly lucky to hit Play at the exact time the streamer does?

I always thought it was more of a situation like the player happens to see Summit or whoever's name in the kill feed early on, opens up their stream, and figures out where they are. But also I'm probably being way too naive about internet nerds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
The hardest part of this game is to be patient as a monk when you're in the top 5 and not give yourself away stupid or go charging at someone.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
And now that you have match making in FPP. You have to be a little competent at the game to even get matched up with the good streamers.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
I'm trying to catch up on the thread, and I'm about 100 pages in but all of this is fairly outdated.

Can someone do recap of the last few changes? I'm installing the game as soon as I get home today and the poo poo I've been reading is from when the pan began to deflect bullets.

I'm not looking for full patch-notes, just some things I should keep in mind.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Cannon_Fodder posted:

I'm trying to catch up on the thread, and I'm about 100 pages in but all of this is fairly outdated.

Can someone do recap of the last few changes? I'm installing the game as soon as I get home today and the poo poo I've been reading is from when the pan began to deflect bullets.

I'm not looking for full patch-notes, just some things I should keep in mind.

I've updated the OP to a more cleaned up and streamlined format. I've also included a FAQ that addresses the more discussed things here.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
The mini-14 (new gun since last patch) is a bit overpowered and imo the best all-purpose gun at the moment
first person only servers were added and it's way better to play compared to 3rd person (except for driving imo)
some map changes (loot tables changed a bit/new town in the top right)

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

Samopsa posted:

The mini-14 (new gun since last patch) is a bit overpowered and imo the best all-purpose gun at the moment
first person only servers were added and it's way better to play compared to 3rd person (except for driving imo)
some map changes (loot tables changed a bit/new town in the top right)

I'm probably going to play FPP exclusively.

VulgarandStupid posted:

I've updated the OP to a more cleaned up and streamlined format. I've also included a FAQ that addresses the more discussed things here.

Thank you for the OP, I read the whole thing and that animated map is going to be super handy.

EDIT: I'm a bullshitter and found the animated map on Reddit:

https://pubgmap.io/

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

This is a pretty sweet clip: https://clips.twitch.tv/BelovedSlipperyToadJonCarnage

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Lladre posted:

And now that you have match making in FPP. You have to be a little competent at the game to even get matched up with the good streamers.

Matchmaking in FPP always existed, they only added a leader board recently.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
I suck at this game, this is my best-ending round yet

Finding a silenced UMP first thing w/ grip was loving great. Love that thing. Got killed by the last dude when he surprised me with a flank while I was chucking nades at his last known position.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

haha god dammit i got second because in the literal final circle neither of us wanted to stand from the tall grass, so I decided to roll a grenade in the direction I thought he might be and the explosion pushed me into the blue and I died :downs:

Nahrix
Mar 17, 2004

Can't afford to eat out

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Matchmaking in FPP always existed, they only added a leader board recently.

Ranked statistics always existed, but I'm not sure that they utilized those hidden stats to implement a matchmaking system for it yet.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

They didn't have MMR until the big patch. They did track data though. It's pretty dumb because that makes this season's FPP rankings worthless.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

2nd is literally brain death for me

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

*stage whisper* It's all worthless.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Pussy Quipped posted:

I always thought it was more of a situation like the player happens to see Summit or whoever's name in the kill feed early on, opens up their stream, and figures out where they are. But also I'm probably being way too naive about internet nerds.

There's this but there are also many snipers who consistently get into streamers' particular games. Shroud has like half a dozen you can see in the kill feed in tons of his games (Wadu, verycoolguy69, ShatteredHorizon, H1Z1survivor aka bananaman, and a few others I can't recall). Often in consecutive games.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

No Safe Word posted:

There's this but there are also many snipers who consistently get into streamers' particular games. Shroud has like half a dozen you can see in the kill feed in tons of his games (Wadu, verycoolguy69, ShatteredHorizon, H1Z1survivor aka bananaman, and a few others I can't recall). Often in consecutive games.

How do they maintain MMR or whatever to keep getting into the games to stream snipe in the first place?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i figure when people post clips/shots and it's 3pp they're doing it ironically.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

didn't you already make that exact post?

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

1pp players are clearly insecure about something

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

hawowanlawow posted:

He makes it about every 6 hours or so. I think it's part of his therapy.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Shima Honnou posted:

How do they maintain MMR or whatever to keep getting into the games to stream snipe in the first place?

Good question but my guess is that instead of prioritizing evenly-matched matches, matchmaking instead prioritizes shortening queue times. So, your MMR doesn't really matter nearly as much in finding a specific game as "queueing at the right time". This solution makes sense from a cost perspective because it's far easier just to batch players 100 at a time per region/game-mode into a server without calculating constraints than carefully partitioning the queue of waiting players into appropriately matched bunches of players. Plus it has the added benefit of the top players not having to wait 20+ minutes for games like the top players do in games like Dota.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

No Safe Word posted:

Good question but my guess is that instead of prioritizing evenly-matched matches, matchmaking instead prioritizes shortening queue times. So, your MMR doesn't really matter nearly as much in finding a specific game as "queueing at the right time". This solution makes sense from a cost perspective because it's far easier just to batch players 100 at a time per region/game-mode into a server without calculating constraints than carefully partitioning the queue of waiting players into appropriately matched bunches of players. Plus it has the added benefit of the top players not having to wait 20+ minutes for games like the top players do in games like Dota.

There's not as many people playing FPP so it's much easier to achieve higher rank in a shorter amount of time, and there are less games so a more generous matchmaking system.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Siets posted:

How is it that people are able to streamsnipe in this game? With the absurd concurrent players the game is pulling in right now as well as typical Twitch stream delay, wouldn't you have to be incredibly lucky to hit Play at the exact time the streamer does?

if you're wanting to do it, make sure you're in the same region and hit play as they load back into the menu. Worked for me pretty regularly to get some honk sniping in.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Doorknob Slobber posted:

if you're wanting to do it, make sure you're in the same region and hit play as they load back into the menu. Worked for me pretty regularly to get some honk sniping in.

It's not that I personally want to do it, I'm just more baffled that it's even possible with the regularity that I keep seeing in "<insert streamer> stream sniping compilation!!" videos. Forsen gets dozens of snipers in almost every single game he plays. It's insane. I don't even know how I would keep playing the game if that were me.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

Siets posted:

It's not that I personally want to do it, I'm just more baffled that it's even possible with the regularity that I keep seeing in "<insert streamer> stream sniping compilation!!" videos. Forsen gets dozens of snipers in almost every single game he plays. It's insane. I don't even know how I would keep playing the game if that were me.

For the dozen that make it into his game there's probably dozens of others that tried and didn't make it in

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

Doorknob Slobber posted:

You are a loser

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Nah, he's a hero. :911:

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Siets posted:

Maybe rank is actually a lie and it's just based on when you click go :tinfoil:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

hawowanlawow posted:

it's more confusing why people keep doing it after that post.

I said come in! posted:

Jesus loving christ I finally broke down and bought this stupid game.

you've made a wise choice.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Sep 21, 2017

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

Goongratulations.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan

I said come in! posted:

You waited until right before Forza comes out? Bad move.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

BCRock posted:

Microsoft is already apparently licensing water technology to Bluehole, I know it's not practically possible to separate that engine from the game but drat do I now really want Forza Horizon driving in PUBG.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

BCRock posted:

Right? Once Ultimate Edition launches I wont be playing anything else. My 3rd match though, I came in 15th place, which seems pretty good? I am just working on surviving for as long as possible. Hiding out in the forests, mountains, and among bushes, spots where i'm not likely to get snuck up on.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

I said come in! posted:

Right? Once Ultimate Edition launches I wont be playing anything else. My 3rd match though, I came in 15th place, which seems pretty good? I am just working on surviving for as long as possible. Hiding out in the forests, mountains, and among bushes, spots where i'm not likely to get snuck up on.

That will help you survive longer but it won't help you get better at shooting dudes. Start dropping school every round and mulching to get a feel for the gun play and doing things quickly.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The Wonder Weapon posted:

That will help you survive longer but it won't help you get better at shooting dudes. Start dropping school every round and mulching to get a feel for the gun play and doing things quickly.

The kills i've gotten so far have all been punching dudes while they panic to shoot me.

Sir Spaniard
Nov 9, 2009

Has anyone else seen 'ghost' players that disappear on the fog map? My friend says she's seen it happen twice (while playing with another friend who has also seen it, in a solo game of his own) where they're seen nearish by, but then disappear suddenly. Not sure if they move or not, haven't seen it myself, and I can't find anything online about it.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Sir Spaniard posted:

Has anyone else seen 'ghost' players that disappear on the fog map? My friend says she's seen it happen twice (while playing with another friend who has also seen it, in a solo game of his own) where they're seen nearish by, but then disappear suddenly. Not sure if they move or not, haven't seen it myself, and I can't find anything online about it.

They failed to shoot real players probably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Back to back solo fog games, lost both in the final 1v1 to some guy having a seizure jigglepeeking, it's super annoying to try to fight

It doesn't seem humanly possible but anything's possible in the realm of video games

I just came here to bitch because the second time around made me totally lose my cool

• Locked thread