Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

Absurd Alhazred posted:

If you also count all the Jews that could become citizens but haven't, then they outnumber Palestinians by a wide margin. :shrug:

I actually think it's in incredibly poor taste as well as categorically stupid to juxtapose these as if they were similar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

tentative8e8op posted:

Five million of those people are very effectively disenfranchised right now.

Yes. And that is less than the number of enfranchised people in Israel plus the Occupied Territories.

Disinterested posted:

I actually think it's in incredibly poor taste as well as categorically stupid to juxtapose these as if they were similar.

Inasmuch as they're relevant to a political solution in Israel and the Occupied Territories, they are similar enough. But if the only equitable solution involves all Palestinians and only the Jews you think are worthy of being in historic Palestine being enfranchised (are there any?) with the rest poo poo out of luck, then I think you're going to stay disappointed.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

If you also count all the Jews that could become citizens but haven't, then they outnumber Palestinians by a wide margin. :shrug:

What kind of psycho colonialist considers all Jews everywhere as automatic Israelis that are comparable to the palestianians, what kind of nonsense is this.

hey newsflash:- A WHITE AMERICAN OR BRITISH OR EUROPEAN JEW LIVING IN HIS HOME COUNTRY IS NOT THE SAME SITUATION AS A PALESTINIAN FAMILY WHO HAD TO LEAVE PALESTINE BECAUSE OF YOUR lovely GRANPA KICKED THEM OUT BY FORCE. AN AMERICAN HAS OPTIONS, THE PALESTINIAN DOESN'T.

Dont worry, the right to return for Palestinians is an inalienable right according to human rights charters, whether your loving like it or not.

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Sep 21, 2017

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
I think I see where Alhazred is going here.

Al Saqr (and, you know, everyone else in the thread), how would you feel about e.g. a one state solution with 100% full right of return that also has the current non-resident Jew immigration policies?

This strikes me as a really interesting argument in terms of, uh, talking to Jewish supremacists or slightly less unpalatably those who are worried about a one state solution leading to ethnic cleansing of Jews: turns out, if Alhazred is accurately describing things, that it could feasibly lead to a Jewish minority anyway, disaster avoided :v:

Related question: how important is it that Israel in whatever form be forced to discard its Jew-focused immigration policy?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Al-Saqr posted:

What kind of psycho colonialist considers all Jews everywhere as automatic Israelis that are comparable to the palestianians, what kind of nonsense is this.

hey newsflash:- A WHITE AMERICAN OR BRITISH OR EUROPEAN JEW LIVING IN HIS HOME COUNTRY IS NOT THE SAME SITUATION AS A PALESTINIAN FAMILY WHO HAD TO LEAVE PALESTINE BECAUSE OF YOUR lovely GRANPA KICKED THEM OUT BY FORCE. AN AMERICAN HAS OPTIONS, THE PALESTINIAN DOESN'T.

Dont worry, the right to return for Palestinians is an inalienable right according to human rights charters, whether your loving like it or not.

Any Jew can take advantage of the Law of Return, which Israel, as a sovereign state, has as part of its immigration law, so they can come in, and make themselves relevant. Much like Saudi Arabia is a sovereign state and can decide not to give citizenship to Palestinians in order to "help" them retain their Right of Return, and keep them disenfranchised, and keep blaming Israel for this in perpetuity.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
Half of Israeli Jews are Mizrahim who were largely the victims of Arab ethnic cleansing in the past century, which is why they vote in lockstep for pro-war parties now. A lot of good those charters did the Circassians, Armenians, Greek Cypriots, Bosnians, Punjabis, etc...

No poo poo supporting dictatorships is playing with fire, but that's inevitably what happens when you take diplomacy off the table. E.g., North Korea behaved a lot more sanely during the Clinton years. Engagement with any state produces a more moderate stance. Those dictatorships look entrenched, and really what difference will it make on this topic if somehow more Morsis and Erdogans win power and make a bunch of empty gestures?

VideoGameVet posted:

Which ended up being WORSE for Israel in the long run. Taking out Iran's main rival, who could have seen the consequences?

For someone with supposedly high IQ, this had to be the stupidest prediction ever.

Netanyahu wasn't the PM then though, it was the realist Sharon who opposed the Iraq war. This idea that Israel pushed for war (as opposed to American neoconservatives who mistakenly thought they were doing Israel a favor) is laughable. The Israeli defense establishment would very happily deal with repressive dictators as their neighbors until the end of time.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Kim Jong Il posted:

No poo poo supporting dictatorships is playing with fire, but that's inevitably what happens when you take diplomacy off the table. E.g., North Korea behaved a lot more sanely during the Clinton years. Engagement with any state produces a more moderate stance. Those dictatorships look entrenched, and really what difference will it make on this topic if somehow more Morsis and Erdogans win power and make a bunch of empty gestures?

Realtalk why do you dislike Morsi?

There are some good reasons (maybe not compared to Sisi), I'm just curious which if any you cite. :v:

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I think I see where Alhazred is going here.

Al Saqr (and, you know, everyone else in the thread), how would you feel about e.g. a one state solution with 100% full right of return that also has the current non-resident Jew immigration policies?

This strikes me as a really interesting argument in terms of, uh, talking to Jewish supremacists or slightly less unpalatably those who are worried about a one state solution leading to ethnic cleansing of Jews: turns out, if Alhazred is accurately describing things, that it could feasibly lead to a Jewish minority anyway, disaster avoided :v:

Related question: how important is it that Israel in whatever form be forced to discard its Jew-focused immigration policy?

I think that what you're describing is perfectly valid. the whole struggle of the Palestinians was about the fact that the political ideology and apartheid system of Zionism is racially and religiously supremacist and ethnically cleansed them and is making them live under horrible oppression while wholesale replacing them. That's the main problem.

I think Jewish people like any other group should have immigration rights and to go an live and do whatever they want so long as the Palestinian people have full freedom and live where they want and not be kicked out of their homes and not treated like animals. It's never been simply about foreign Jews moving to Palestine, it was about colonialism and racism and apartheid and wholesale ethnic cleansing.

I think every Arab Jewish Person who were harassed out of their homes in the Arab world deserve a right of return themselves to their countries of origin. Which is why it's vital as part of the struggle for freedom and democracy in the middle east and part of liberating Palestine is to make it so everyone and all minorities have equal human rights to weaken Israels Image.

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Sep 21, 2017

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Yes. And that is less than the number of enfranchised people in Israel plus the Occupied Territories.

Inasmuch as they're relevant to a political solution in Israel and the Occupied Territories, they are similar enough. But if the only equitable solution involves all Palestinians and only the Jews you think are worthy of being in historic Palestine being enfranchised (are there any?) with the rest poo poo out of luck, then I think you're going to stay disappointed.
Congratulations on continuing to make the most tedious of points on a regular basis, absurd

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Yeah ok we can handwave away moral questions because political expediency prevents their resolution.

Oh wait that means we have to close the thread because that applies to every single loving problem related to Israel and Palestine.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

R. Mute posted:

Congratulations on continuing to make the most tedious of points on a regular basis, absurd

What's wrong with tedious? :v:

Al Saqr: :glomp: We are basically on the same page on this when you aren't understandably angryposting, I think. I am basically alright with foreign Jews receiving citizenship and am strongly supportive of whatever Palestinian right of return can be made to happen.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Any Jew can take advantage of the Law of Return, which Israel, as a sovereign state, has as part of its immigration law, so they can come in, and make themselves relevant. Much like Saudi Arabia is a sovereign state and can decide not to give citizenship to Palestinians in order to "help" them retain their Right of Return, and keep them disenfranchised, and keep blaming Israel for this in perpetuity.

You're conflating could with should.

Any Jew could theoretically become a citizen of Israel. Palestinian refugees should be citizens of Israel under a one state solution and would be if not for war crimes committed against them.

Also in terms of the topic under discussion, Jewish people who haven't moved to Israel shouldn't matter because presumably they still wouldn't want to move to Israel and so would not effect the overall population skew.

Kim Jong Il posted:

Netanyahu wasn't the PM then though, it was the realist Sharon who opposed the Iraq war. This idea that Israel pushed for war (as opposed to American neoconservatives who mistakenly thought they were doing Israel a favor) is laughable. The Israeli defense establishment would very happily deal with repressive dictators as their neighbors until the end of time.

You are trying to rewrite history.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/israel-to-us-dont-delay-iraq-attack/

Just one example. Can offer plenty more if you are actually going to try to make this argument.

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Rather than trying to get the buck to stop in Israel, Arab states should instead conquer some land from some other ethnic group X and create a Palestinian state there. Then group X and its allies can go and conquer land from group Y and establish a state for group X. The cycle can finally come to a just end when Germany is conquered and turned into an ethno-centric state for group Z.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

qkkl posted:

Rather than trying to get the buck to stop in Israel, Arab states should instead conquer some land from some other ethnic group X and create a Palestinian state there. Then group X and its allies can go and conquer land from group Y and establish a state for group X. The cycle can finally come to a just end when Germany is conquered and turned into an ethno-centric state for group Z.

More political solutions from the Simpsons should be used for real, IMO

https://youtu.be/P9yruQM1ggc

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Realtalk why do you dislike Morsi?

There are some good reasons (maybe not compared to Sisi), I'm just curious which if any you cite. :v:

I'm mixed on him, but I think you were misreading my point. I was saying that he was a Muslim Brotherhood member, who won in a democratic election. Who, once in office, proceeded to do a lot of empty gestures on Israel while substantially changing not much. He of course had a better relationship with Hamas, but it didn't substantially lead to anything. You could argue that his hands were tied because of the military establishment, but I think it's silly to think that widespread democracy would be a panacea for the Palestinian cause. We're 15 years past everyone thinking that it would be a panacea for Zionism. In reality the two issues have nothing in common.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Kim Jong Il posted:

Half of Israeli Jews are Mizrahim who were largely the victims of Arab ethnic cleansing in the past century, which is why they vote in lockstep for pro-war parties now. A lot of good those charters did the Circassians, Armenians, Greek Cypriots, Bosnians, Punjabis, etc...

So just Netanyahu, testifying to Congress what a great idea the Iraq War was. Nice.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
Who was dead in Israeli politics for a decade. You won't find any disagreement from me that he is a pathetic figure who has done disastrous damage to Israel. However, the actual PM of Israel at the time, Ariel Sharon, while trying to avoid criticizing Bush, counseled against the war.

Kim Jong Il fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Sep 22, 2017

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
ariel played september 11 like a pro, he did everything right securing america and israel's relationship. what a man! unfortunately israel is a monstrous golem of religious extremism and reactionary viciousness against anyone lower than us on the international pecking order but ariel only ever had one aim, which was to protect the jews from extermination over the course of his lifetime

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
oh ariel, poor ariel, who was so great and terrible, and who was given the ultimate punishment and reward that few earn: judgment within his mortal lifespan, conviction and sentencing and a long unimaginably awful sentence all delivered personally to him by the almighty

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
i love you ariel

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
the only true lion of the 21st century, though many have claimed the title and many will claim it yet

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Kim Jong Il posted:

I'm mixed on him, but I think you were misreading my point. I was saying that he was a Muslim Brotherhood member, who won in a democratic election. Who, once in office, proceeded to do a lot of empty gestures on Israel while substantially changing not much. He of course had a better relationship with Hamas, but it didn't substantially lead to anything. You could argue that his hands were tied because of the military establishment, but I think it's silly to think that widespread democracy would be a panacea for the Palestinian cause. We're 15 years past everyone thinking that it would be a panacea for Zionism. In reality the two issues have nothing in common.

Oh, I see. I did misunderstand where you were pointed.

I wonder if this is a useful argument to have in the back pocket in support of Arab / Middle Eastern democratization (when talking to the wildly pro Israel).

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Absurd Alhazred posted:

*kicks you out of your house*
Actually this is everyone else's fault for not letting you stay with them. Toodles!

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!

Absurd Alhazred posted:

The big difference between Palestinian refugees and the entire Jewish diaspora for this issue is that the latter have had the opportunity to go to the region for decades and haven't, and it's unlikely a huge proportion of them would suddenly do so in large numbers if a settlement was reached. The Palestinian refugees on the other hand would be very likely to return if allowed. That's why the size of one population is much more relevant than the other.

Lord_Adonis
Mar 2, 2015

by Smythe
I have a question about the Israeli ''Law of Return''. Specifically, how ''Jewish'' does one have to be to meet the criteria of the law? I am a British Citizen of around thirty years of age. My Paternal Grandfather (now deceased) was a Pole who ended up in Britain after fighting with the Free Polish forces during the Second World War. He, nor his parents were religious Jews (in fact, his Polish birth certificate has ''Protestant'' written on it). However, his surname (and consequently mine) is one that other Ashkenazi Jews share, or at least a version of it with a slightly different spelling.

As such, could he potentially be considered an Ashkenazi Jew in a non-religious and ethnic sense, and could this identity be conferred to myself in the context of the Law of Return? If I was to submit to a genetic test that demonstrated a sufficient Ashkenazi genetic inheritance, would this help my case? Finally, would having a desired profession, trade or set of qualifications help? I am a fully qualified Electrician with NVQ2 and 3 and Technical Certificate in Electrical Installation, with City & Guilds 2394, 2395 and (from next month) 2396 vocational qualifications. I am also currently pursuing an AutoCAD qualification specifically related to the design of building utilities, and should receive an ''Accredited AutoCAD User'' certificate in two months. Finally, I also possess a BTEC and Higher National Diploma in Electrical Engineering, which is the equivalent of two years of a BSc.

Lord_Adonis fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Sep 22, 2017

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Lord_Adonis posted:

I have a question about the Israeli ''Law of Return''. Specifically, how ''Jewish'' does one have to be to meet the criteria of the law? I am a British Citizen of around thirty years of age. My Paternal Grandfather (now deceased) was a Pole who ended up in Britain after fighting with the Free Polish forces during the Second World War. He, nor his parents were religious Jews (in fact, his Polish birth certificate has ''Protestant'' written on it). However, his surname (and consequently mine) is one that other Ashkenazi Jews share, or at least a version of it with a slightly different spelling.

As such, could he potentially be considered an Ashkenazi Jew in a non-religious and ethnic sense, and could this identity be conferred to myself in the context of the Law of Return? If I was to submit to a genetic test that demonstrated a sufficient Ashkenazi genetic inheritance, would this help my case? Finally, would having a desired profession, trade or set of qualifications help? I am a fully qualified Electrician with NVQ2 and 3 and Technical Certificate in Electrical Installation, with City & Guilds 2394, 2395 and (from next month) 2396 vocational qualifications. I am also currently pursuing an AutoCAD qualification specifically related to the design of building utilities, and should receive an ''Accredited AutoCAD User'' certificate in two months. Finally, I also possess a BTEC and Higher National Diploma in Electrical Engineering, which is the equivalent of two years of a BSc.

Someone else will have to back me up on this, but I think you have to be Jewish through your mother's side to be considered Jewish in a religious sense. That being said, having useful skills might make up for that.

Svartvit
Jun 18, 2005

al-Qabila samaa Bahth
An aquaintance of mine had no Jewish heritage whatsoever but "discovered" religion and obtained Israeli citizenship quite easily.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
It's one grandparent, although those with partial Jewish ancestry but not maternal ancestry will be wildly discriminated against due to the efforts of the Haredim.

Genetic tests wouldn't be evidence, they'd have to have things like a marriage certificate or family tree.

Oddly enough, the consensus is that Ariel Sharon's mother was a Russian convert, although Haredi obsession with Jewish ethnic purity wasn't as much of a thing until recently.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Ytlaya posted:

Someone else will have to back me up on this, but I think you have to be Jewish through your mother's side to be considered Jewish in a religious sense. That being said, having useful skills might make up for that.
Being the grandson of a Jew, on either side, is enough to qualify for Right of Return, but it would have to be a bit more solid than "Ashkenazi name, but no documents".

Travelling to Israel as an expert worker and seeing what happens next might be more viable.

Lord_Adonis posted:

I have a question about the Israeli ''Law of Return''.
If you're actually serious about all of the above, contact me. Username at gmail.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Xander77 posted:

Being the grandson of a Jew, on either side, is enough to qualify for Right of Return, but it would have to be a bit more solid than "Ashkenazi name, but no documents".

Travelling to Israel as an expert worker and seeing what happens next might be more viable.
If you're actually serious about all of the above, contact me. Username at gmail.

I asked a friend of mine with Israeli citizenship, and he said he thinks you would need a letter from a rabbi stating your Jewish heritage and read about a situation in an article with a soccer player whose dad was Jewish and did this.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Ytlaya posted:

I asked a friend of mine with Israeli citizenship, and he said he thinks you would need a letter from a rabbi stating your Jewish heritage and read about a situation in an article with a soccer player whose dad was Jewish and did this.
I also have an Israeli citizenship. And I'm familiar with the subject of immigration to Israel. :shrug:

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Kim Jong Il posted:

Who was dead in Israeli politics for a decade. You won't find any disagreement from me that he is a pathetic figure who has done disastrous damage to Israel. However, the actual PM of Israel at the time, Ariel Sharon, while trying to avoid criticizing Bush, counseled against the war.

That's a claim that isn't even supported by your own link. If you read it you'll see he counselled against occupation not war. 'Sharon acknowledged that Saddam Hussein was an “acute threat” to the Middle East and that he believed Saddam possessed weapons of mass destruction'. Although it also claims that Sharon said he would not push one way or another for or against the war, we know that ended up being a lie because he did push for it.

Not only that but the link offers a simplistic assessment based on a single meeting. Basically in early 2002 Israel had no real issues with war with Iraq but wanted the focus on Iran if they could arrange it. Later in the year they were giving it full-throated support to war with iraq e.g. "Sharon urges America to bring down Saddam". Later on in 2002 and by early 2003 they were still fully behind war with Iraq but toned down the public rhetoric because there were people increasingly identifying Israel as a key impetus behind the war and Israel didn't want that association.

Other ministers including Peres, who was Foreign Minister at the time, also pushed for war with Iraq. That's not to mention the [url=https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/politics/2003/12/05/israel-shares-blame-on-iraq-intelligence-report-says/fa34cc5e-8a18-4faa-9615-19a899f99fda/?utm_term=.322ca5f640a9]false intelligence that was provided by Israel and helped prompt the war or it's long-term association and lobbying of the neoconservatives who pushed for this war.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Lord_Adonis posted:

Just contact the jewish agency, if your ancestors have any documentation proving that they were jews (such as being listed in some synagogue a hundred years ago) they can probably find it and will look for it on your behest.

If your ancestors converted to christianity it might be an issue though, who knows.

As others said, you can always convert to Judaism if coming here is that important to you, otherwise contact the ministry of immigration I guess.

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Lord_Adonis posted:

I am a fully qualified Electrician with NVQ2 and 3 and Technical Certificate in Electrical Installation, with City & Guilds 2394, 2395 and (from next month) 2396 vocational qualifications. I am also currently pursuing an AutoCAD qualification specifically related to the design of building utilities, and should receive an ''Accredited AutoCAD User'' certificate in two months. Finally, I also possess a BTEC and Higher National Diploma in Electrical Engineering, which is the equivalent of two years of a BSc.
you're hired, just show up to israel on monday and i'll make sure you get a shirt and your own key

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I'm kind of surprised that to be "officially" Jewish your mom needs to be Jewish, considering that genetic tests have shown that the initial Ashkenazi population mostly grew from Jewish men marrying non-Jewish women.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

qkkl posted:

I'm kind of surprised that to be "officially" Jewish your mom needs to be Jewish, considering that genetic tests have shown that the initial Ashkenazi population mostly grew from Jewish men marrying non-Jewish women.
You could listen to a person familiar with the subject (me) or google The Law of Return. For the "official" purposes discussed here, the child or grandchild of a Jew of either gender qualifies for the Right of Return.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Just contact the jewish agency, if your ancestors have any documentation proving that they were jews (such as being listed in some synagogue a hundred years ago) they can probably find it and will look for it on your behest.

If your ancestors converted to christianity it might be an issue though, who knows.
Kinda.

quote:

As others said, you can always convert to Judaism if coming here is that important to you, otherwise contact the ministry of immigration I guess.
Not really. I mean, more so for white people in Western-Europe / US, but still, not really.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Sep 23, 2017

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
If my only Jewish descendant is one grandparent, and I have a child with a non-Jew, will that child be considered Jewish? If so, this idea of "Jewishness" seems pointless since it would essentially be the one-drop rule where you could be 1/1024th Jewish, but still be "officially" Jewish because one of your past descendants was Jewish.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

qkkl posted:

If my only Jewish descendant is one grandparent, and I have a child with a non-Jew, will that child be considered Jewish? If so, this idea of "Jewishness" seems pointless since it would essentially be the one-drop rule where you could be 1/1024th Jewish, but still be "officially" Jewish because one of your past descendants was Jewish.
There's the traditional religious definition of a Jew (someone whose mother was Jewish, which I suppose could conceivably lead to generations of female descendants marrying non-Jews to the point that the latest generation is somehow indeed 1/whatever Jewish)

Conversely, there's the State of Israel's definition of a person eligible for the Right of Return - someone who had at least one Jewish ancestor (up to and limited to grandparents) and that someone's immediate family / dependents (so you can immigrate with your children, and you can join your parents who had immigrated to Israel, but you're not entitled to immigrate as the grand-grandchild of a Jew).

PS - Descendants - children.

Ancestors - parents.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Xander77 posted:

I also have an Israeli citizenship. And I'm familiar with the subject of immigration to Israel. :shrug:

Yeah, I didn't mean that as a counter against what you said, but just a "here is an example I heard of a situation where someone with Jew ancestry but no documentation was able to have their "Jewishness" established for the purposes of emigrating to Israel."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

qkkl posted:

fwiw telling a bunch of jews their halakhic laws are inscrutable will achieve nothing

it's like, we know. that's the point.