Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

SourKraut posted:

Thunderbolt 3 PCIe cards are available for $50?

Well, $60, but yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

DrDork posted:

Well, $60, but yes.

That requires a thunderbolt header and only works with specific expensive ASUS boards. It's not a general solution.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

As far as I know there's no drop-in You Have Thunderbolt Now card yet.

Grain of salt or six, but if these are true I'm somewhere between disappointed and anxious. Disappointed because I was sort of holding out for "7700K, with another half a die", but anxious because I want to see what happens to the market. I'm hoping to pick up a used 7700K at a decent price, basically.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

That's way lower than the previously leaked benchmarks. Guess we will have to wait and see.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance

I'm taking this with the highest peak of salt imaginable. What the hell happened to Intel's IPC advantage in those benchmarks?

Edit: and if those benchmarks are accurate, all the more reason to hold onto my oc'd 2500K rig until it goes kaput.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

SourKraut posted:

Thunderbolt 3 PCIe cards are available for $50?

I hope these end up true since I'd just go ahead and get a R7 1700 and X370 and call it good. I've wanted to see how Coffee Lake's performance would compare and how it might affect prices on Ryzen.

You cant just plug a thunderbolt card into a motherboard. The MB has to support it.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

I suspect the undelidded throttling problem already on the 7700k is even worse on the 8700k hence the terrible bench

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

BurritoJustice posted:

That requires a thunderbolt header and only works with specific expensive ASUS boards. It's not a general solution.

I do happen to have both a asus tb3 card and an inexpensive motherboard(z170a). The same card is supported on the z270a prime which is the cheapest or so option for their z270 catalog. I expect the upcoming z370a prime to do the same.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Is Z370 going to increase the size of the DMA bus to the chipset, or is it still "24 lanes" all going through a single 3.0x4 link?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Paul MaudDib posted:

Is Z370 going to increase the size of the DMA bus to the chipset, or is it still "24 lanes" all going through a single 3.0x4 link?

Last I was aware, the Z370 is basically a rebranded Z270 with some very minor upgrades, so I don't think anything as substantial as the DMI link is changing.

crazypenguin
Mar 9, 2005
nothing witty here, move along
I very much doubt that we'll ever see more than an x4 link between chipset and CPU. There's very little reason to want it, except for wanting to plug in higher bandwidth devices, which generally just call for CPU lanes.

In my ideal world, Icelake will come out with PCIe 4 (+ DMI 4, improving bandwidth to chipset) and 20 CPU lanes on the consumer boards (GPU + NVMe), and I'll squeal with delight. Who the hell knows what will happen, though, everybody's mum about a time frame for improving this stuff.

I'm not sure if I'm a weirdo for wanting improved IO, or if they're just blind to the demand for it. I guess NVMe has kinda splashed onto the stage pretty quick, but hell, AMD saw the demand for 20 CPU lanes because of it already, right?

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

I want improved Io because then manufacturers will create storage devices to use it.

I know, small files and optane etc.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

With multi-gpu dead and NVME raid still not a thing (not that its in the realm of reason anyway with current prices), I really dunno what i would use more I/O for. As it stands, the only chipset PCIe lanes I'm using or plan to use are 4x for an NVME drive and the integrated USB 3.1 Gen 2 on the motherboard that I think is hanging off a 1x.

In a workstation world, maybe you would want multi gpus for deep learning or higher end NICs (infiband, 40gbe etc) or somethin, but on the consumer side there isn't much use for a bunch of lanes.

Cygni fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Sep 16, 2017

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

VCZ: Intel Z390 to support 8C/16T CPUs in H2 2018

:monocle:

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Considering even an arm soc can have 4k die pads, I don't think intel has much room to add more lanes without increasing the die size, especially considering an x86 processor sucks up magnitudes more power.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

So basically Intel Threadripper?

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

blowfish posted:

So basically Intel Threadripper?

maybe, ifs it going up against the 1900.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

lmao if they paste it or it isn't just a xeon e3

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
They're already pasting the 18 core models, 8 cores is no question for pasting.

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

3200mhz RAM is literally the Devil. Literally.
Lipstick Apathy
God drat i really wish they would stop loving pasteing

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Scarecow posted:

God drat i really wish they would stop loving pasteing

But what about the $0.50/unit cost

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
Think of the indium

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

When's the expected release of all the new boards and desktop Coffee Lake?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Tab8715 posted:

When's the expected release of all the new boards and desktop Coffee Lake?

Oct 5th.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

drat. New PC next month!

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Tab8715 posted:

drat. New PC next month!

Just be aware that a few hundred thousand to a million-plus people are thinking this same thing - you might want to be on the lookout for pre-order bundles of CPU+Motherboard.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Well, I’ll do what I’m able. Any preference on motherboards?

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Tab8715 posted:

Well, I’ll do what I’m able. Any preference on motherboards?
ASUS, ASRock, MSI.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Intel reportedly pushing Cannon Lake to end of 2018

Intel's NUC roadmap leaked, it includes a pair of Skull Canyon refreshes with discrete graphics codenamed "Hades Canyon" and "Hades Canyon VR", the latter with a 4C8T K-series desktop processor at 100W.

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Grafted to machines your builders did not understand.

Paul MaudDib posted:

Intel reportedly pushing Cannon Lake to end of 2018

Intel's NUC roadmap leaked, it includes a pair of Skull Canyon refreshes with discrete graphics codenamed "Hades Canyon" and "Hades Canyon VR", the latter with a 4C8T K-series desktop processor at 100W.

I wonder how much of this is "10nm is hard" and how much is, "Oh poo poo, we actually have to do something about Threadripper."

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

I’d like to see the new Gen5 GPU and at least start to replace the 1080p standard. Modern game titles would also for the first time become playable on laptops without an extra GPU.

Plus, a single digit nanometer processor comes with bragging rights.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Gyrotica posted:

I wonder how much of this is "10nm is hard" and how much is, "Oh poo poo, we actually have to do something about Threadripper."

threadripper? probably not. raven ridge yes. epyc double yes

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

Gyrotica posted:

Give me '10nm is hard'!!!

also: i wonder if that dgpu nuc is the rumored licensing by intel of radeon stuff?

Watermelon Daiquiri fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Sep 21, 2017

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

also: i wonder if that dgpu nuc is the rumored licensing by intel of radeon stuff?

10nm is a rat bastard because you need EUV to get the critical logic layers and parts of the cache down in size and therefore down in cost. The fab manufacturing companies just released a commercially viable litho system for 10nm.

Also keep in mind that a modern chip with the dual or quad multipatterning layers takes between 4 and 6 months from the day the wafers show up to the day the finished chips go in a bin.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

10nm is a rat bastard because you need EUV to get the critical logic layers and parts of the cache down in size and therefore down in cost. The fab manufacturing companies just released a commercially viable litho system for 10nm.

Also keep in mind that a modern chip with the dual or quad multipatterning layers takes between 4 and 6 months from the day the wafers show up to the day the finished chips go in a bin.

quad i wouldn't doubt, but dual patterned stuff like 14nm can be done within 70 days if they scoot their asses lol However for engineering wafers, they frequently do tests of each sub process alone so they don't have to wait months to find out that the mandrell mask has a defect lol

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Black Hat '17: How to Hack a Turned-Off Computer, or Running Unsigned Code in Intel Management Engine

yikes

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

What I want to know is whether this is a legitimate "oops" vulnerability or something Intel put in both officially and intentionally for the NSA and GCHQ to exploit, and it's just a matter of time before such things are found by the public, or it's being revealed piecemeal from sources like Snowden's trove, etc.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Sep 21, 2017

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

That's what she said.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Presumably this is an escalation of the exploit reported earlier this year?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

What I want to know is whether this is a legitimate "oops" vulnerability or something Intel put in both officially and intentionally for the NSA and GCHQ to exploit, and it's just a matter of time before such things are found by the public, or it's being revealed piecemeal from sources like Snowden's trove, etc.
If Intel is cooperating with the NSA/GCHQ like that they wouldn't need this backdoor, they could just sign code.