Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Man, I miss having a washer/dryer in unit. Amazon sells small washing machines you can hook to a sink for $150~ that I've thought about buying. But then I forget about it until I have two weeks of clothes bagged up to drag down to the laundry room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

psydude posted:

Move out to Centreville or Manassas. Just make sure you plaster Gadsden Serpent and I SERVED stickers all over your RAM 3500 and maybe gain about 60 pounds so you fit in.

My Aunt and Uncle live in Centreville and my mom lives in Manassas. I'm not buying a house in either of those places; Centreville because it's a suburban hellscape and Manassas because it's the truck stop of NoVA and it makes me uncomfortable walking around.

Or maybe I'll just rent forever.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

MA-Horus posted:

I'm goddamn lucky to be with a stonkingly rich girl, else I'd never be able to afford my own drat house.

:same:

LITERALLY SHAKING posted:

Man, I miss having a washer/dryer in unit. Amazon sells small washing machines you can hook to a sink for $150~ that I've thought about buying. But then I forget about it until I have two weeks of clothes bagged up to drag down to the laundry room.

I had one of these 15 or so years ago. Pain the in rear end but it was worth having.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I pay a little more rent than necessary but I lucked into having awesome neighbors, landlords that leave me alone but are quick to fix any issues, and a w/d. Plus pet friendly.

I consider the extra I pay to be an acceptable tax for all that stuff since in the past all of that stuff has been so hit and miss. You might get some of those things but it's rare that you get all of those things.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

ded posted:

Mobile homes are big bucks if you are selling them. You can get one of the best they make for like 80k and sell it for 350+ if it is in the right area.

Imagine a trailer park in Pacific Palisades overlooking the ocean where the lots go for a cool mil. Source: my daughter who consistently makes bad life decisions.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Invest in storage units outside of military bases and rake cash when the next forever war pops off.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Storage units are something I've thought about too, but the area here is saturated with them. The RV/tiny house park is probably the way I'm going to go if I ever get off my rear end, incorporate something, and apply for veterans SBLs and grants. Buy 10 acres, put a cabin on one side to live in, make 5 acres into parking spots. Live on it a few years and sell it off when I get really tired of dealing with it. 50 lots of hookups is gonna be expensive as gently caress though.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I wouldn't live on the same lot as a trailer park even as the landlord without an electric fence or something. Junkies man.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Vasudus posted:

I wouldn't live on the same lot as a trailer park even as the landlord without an electric fence or something. Junkies man.

Gentrify it. Instead of a keyfob for the gate, make it run a credit score check.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

As someone said earlier, make it a lot for tiny houses. Install a solar array and charge them for it so they can say they're living off the grid.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
That was me, and putting up solar probably isn't a bad idea.

And gently caress yes, credit checks.

Tiny house people seem to at least have their poo poo together enough to pay their bills. I would never want a lot of singlewides.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I moved into one of the only buildings in the complex that doesn't allow dogs. I wish they'd changr it so I could share custody of my older dog with my mom.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-GaXa8tSBE

article since changed to "first female black lead"

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Levar Burton wasn't a lead though, was he? I never watched a lot of star trek, but I assumed him to be a supporting role.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Levar Burton wasn't a lead though, was he? I never watched a lot of star trek, but I assumed him to be a supporting role.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

https://media.giphy.com/media/G5gfyy5gQeYNy/giphy.mp4

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

the best qtiyd

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Well clearly I didn't watch enough star trek. Too late to care now though.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

I pay a little more rent than necessary but I lucked into having awesome neighbors, landlords that leave me alone but are quick to fix any issues, and a w/d. Plus pet friendly.

I consider the extra I pay to be an acceptable tax for all that stuff since in the past all of that stuff has been so hit and miss. You might get some of those things but it's rare that you get all of those things.

Same. This is all purely anecdotal and subjective. It seems like getting to know your neighbors is a foreign concept these days. I go out of my way to introduce myself to my neighbors. Granted, a lot of it probably has to do with suburbia and people not being in such close proximity anymore.

But even then the neighborhood where I grew up is a ghost town now. There's no kids playing outside and it's just sad. Seemingly everyone was already old but now literally everyone is just old. A kid playing on the block would probably get the cops called.

Anyways neighbors make or break you and I have awesome neighbors and going out of your way to have a healthy relationship with them is great. I bring us all fish tacos every Tuesday 🐠

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Well clearly I didn't watch enough star trek. Too late to care now though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGcAbI-4_io

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Same. This is all purely anecdotal and subjective. It seems like getting to know your neighbors is a foreign concept these days. I go out of my way to introduce myself to my neighbors. Granted, a lot of it probably has to do with suburbia and people not being in such close proximity anymore.

But even then the neighborhood where I grew up is a ghost town now. There's no kids playing outside and it's just sad. Seemingly everyone was already old but now literally everyone is just old. A kid playing on the block would probably get the cops called.

Anyways neighbors make or break you and I have awesome neighbors and going out of your way to have a healthy relationship with them is great. I bring us all fish tacos every Tuesday 🐠

I live in a complex where people routinely steal each other's mail, one neighbor gets high and leaves cigarette butts in empty tall boy cans on the shared landing, and another has a "White Pride World Wide" tattoo & ferrets. I'm OK just saying "hello" in passing.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

yeah but that sounds like one of those cookie cutter complexes with balloons and gaudy signs you see outside of Military bases

they probably have some hobo hustling the street corner with a sign too

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Dude commits straight up war crimes in pursuit of a guy.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

orange juche posted:

Dude commits straight up war crimes in pursuit of a guy.

And is responsible for the deaths of countless Romulans.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
None of my neighbors really speak English so it's hard for me to communicate with them, even if I wanted to.

My hallways alternate between delicious smelling food to 'maybe I should call the police for a suspected body' but everyone is quiet and respectful to each other.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
My neighbors are a wonderful gay couple who have a bird that my cat wants to murder.

They're super cool and are very respectful of noise.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Nobodybon my floor talks to each other so far as I can tell. They're not poo poo bags so far as I can tell so that's all I care about. Somebody did yell something along the lines of "gently caress you ho!" and slammed a door one night.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I've said nothing more than hello to one neighbor. The other one is a racist house flipping redneck.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

Mr. Nice! posted:

The other one is a racist house flipping redneck.

are all three of them bad things or just one or two or what?

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
I'd go with all three, but redneck is probably the least bad

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

vains posted:

are all three of them bad things or just one or two or what?

Redneck is a default state of most natives to the area and house flipping isn't necessarily bad but I wouldn't say he's great at it. I was just describing him.

I call him racist because I was asking about how much he's going to rent it for some friends and his first response was "are they black?" and then told me that his property managers are going to make sure they don't rent to black people for him.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

My neighbors are an ancient elderly lady who never remembers my name, a dressage instructor, an astrologer, and an Eastern European immigrant couple who never seem to leave the house

I feel pretty lucky

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
My neighbours like to gently caress loudly at 12 in the morning on work nights. I've never met them.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Kazinsal posted:

My neighbours like to gently caress loudly at 12 in the morning on work nights. I've never met them.

If you cant beat em join them imo

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
My neighbors are surprisingly quiet, except for some demon child with 3am cries that cause twitches in the bones of the nearest cemetary. I'm surprised how well insulated this shithole is.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
My old neighbors were a retired 90 year old and his daughter, a couple in their 50s that had golden retrievers, a family of bible thumpers, a plumber, a young kid who would bang his current girlfriend of the week between 1 and 3.

Oh and the Gypsies

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Got my inlaws on one side, quiet retired officers still working at the shipyards on the other two sides. Very quiet cul-de-sac but I just declared war on the local squirrels so gently caress those chittering methheads. GET OFF MY LAWN (AND OUT OF MY WALLS).

Put out some traps and bought an air rifle.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Said gently caress it and got a new WD 1TB SSD. I'm not one to have terabytes upon terabyes of data. SSD has gone down in price a lot, definitely, but wish it went down a bit more. 1 TB is $300-400 depending on if you want USB 3.1 i think?

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

LingcodKilla posted:

Got my inlaws on one side, quiet retired officers still working at the shipyards on the other two sides. Very quiet cul-de-sac but I just declared war on the local squirrels so gently caress those chittering methheads. GET OFF MY LAWN (AND OUT OF MY WALLS).

Put out some traps and bought an air rifle.

Squirrels are awesome, you are a monster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Relevant

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njuV0d5lI9E

• Locked thread