Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

BadOptics posted:

No problem. Also it was just one other time, but I'm glad it made you smile.

you've posted my shitpost twice as much as me. I don't know whether to thank you or send for psychiatric help

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I picked a wormhole civ, and I'm regretting it. Enemy fleets just move back and forth and it makes it really difficult to catch them. Is there a way for me to change my space travel type?

Also, I've been having difficulties with wars. I got into a war with my neighbour on my NW, and he got his defensive ally involved who was my neighbour on the SW. Because of my wormholes, I couldn't hit all of their cities, it made it really cumbersome. But despite taking the enemy's capital to my NW, as well as 2 other of his cities, I only had a warscore of 33%. War dragged on for so long, I was losing so many resources (lasted about 15 years), so in the end I decided to just take two planets, instead of the original four I wanted.

Any tips or advice on how to do well with warscore? I was destroying their fleets, but I only had one main fleet, which meant I could only ever focus on one opponent, whilst the other went and whacked up all my mining stations etc etc. I have a feeling this is what kept my warscore at 33% instead of letting it jump higher.

I ended up feeling incredibly sad for my defensive ally, he got dragged into this and went from being my equal to being my inferior. I ceded a planet to him as thanks, and wanted to ask him to become my vassal, but it says he'll just refuse. I wanted our people to join and eventually wipe out our enemies. Feels bad knowing I got them involved in some heavy poo poo and lost them all their power.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

The only way to change your FTL type is to unlock psi/regular jump drives through research and/or incursions into the Shroud, sorry.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Really hope 1.9 does something about FTL types or combat as a whole.

e: VVV Until they unfuck the FTL situation, this.

Bloody Pom fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Sep 21, 2017

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Hyperspace only for life. :colbert:

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Might restart my game. Getting into this war really hindered me and I've discovered two new super empires that are all declaring rivalries against me. Wormholes are also pretty awful, will pick hyperlanes next time.

I want to break out of the hemmed in position these two neighbouring empires have put me in, but I don't know how to make it so if I defeat them, I absorb their entire empire.

Guilliman
Apr 5, 2017

Animal went forth into the future and made worlds in his own image. And it was wild.
I'm more excited about finding out people's response to my mod update than I am about actually getting my hands on the DLC lol.

8 hours to go! uuuuuuuugh help me

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
wormholes rule as long as you remember that you can build wormhole stations in unclaimed space

as for fleets running away, they do that no matter what FTL you use anyway.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

I think I've said it before but I feel like wormholes would make more sense as a naturally-occurring thing. Long-distance shortcuts between specific systems that can be accessed by anyone after they research a specific technology.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

which FTL methods do you guys prefer? Hyperlanes or the other one that's slow but lets you fly anywhere

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Game should have a no-FTL mode where you have to slowboat around, it takes 5 years to cross your home system and 50 to get to the nearest start. I know there's mods along those lines but it should be official. In fact, not 'a mode', the only mode.

Then add Newtownian physics.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Q8ee posted:

which FTL methods do you guys prefer? Hyperlanes or the other one that's slow but lets you fly anywhere

Warp drive every time

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Warp cooldown is annoying but it certainly makes life easier.

Hyperspace only is cool because the galaxy suddenly has terrain and you can defend chokepoints. You jump out of system faster than a jump drive too.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

Bloody Pom posted:

I think I've said it before but I feel like wormholes would make more sense as a naturally-occurring thing. Long-distance shortcuts between specific systems that can be accessed by anyone after they research a specific technology.

I liked their implementation in Space Empires. Wormholes occur naturally and connect systems to each other in a variety of topologies, and some lategame tech (or midgame if you make a beeline for it and play super isolationist) lets you destroy or create them, allowing you to reshape your network of stars to pretty arbitrary specifications.

This is also really good for playing a defensive game, as you can control chokepoints with mines, autonomous weapons, starbases, or full-on fleets. Stellar manipulation can bypass this, or allow you to create a surprise jump point to the enemy home systems and detonate their stars before they can muster a response. :black101:

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I got into the late game with a warp drive civ last time I went hard into the game...

It's the ONLY choice, wormholes and hyperlanes blow my rear end. However, the late game 2+ month wind down is 100% loving pointless. The wind down isn't a bad idea for balancing, but it's far and away huge overkill. This is a situation where wormholes and hyperlanes need to be better, warp doesn't need to be this fuckin obnoxious.

The main issue is, late game, my games slow down a lot. My cpu is from 2012, the motherboard is a bottleneck more than the CPU, but the fact is my computer is a mix of new and old parts, and the older parts turn a late game of stellaris into a totally miserable experience. I have yet to even experience the end game crises due to the slowdown that's compounded by those huge wind down times on warp.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Didn't Wiz or someone else from Paradox say they're seriously considering eventually making everything hyperlane only?

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

hobbesmaster posted:

Hyperspace only is cool because the galaxy suddenly has terrain and you can defend chokepoints.

This is why I like hyperlanes. Systems can be strategically valuable beyond 'does it have habitable planets'

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Didn't Wiz or someone else from Paradox say they're seriously considering eventually making everything hyperlane only?

This is a thing I swear people say every 20 pages, but that is inaccurate. They said something about how if they had a chance to do it over again, they would just have hyperlanes and that the three types of basic travel were a mistake, but they're not going to cut out two entire types of travel because it wouldn't be fair to players.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Is it out yet

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

tithin posted:

Is it out yet

Six hours and twenty two minutes away. Midnight here in Kiwiland.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

no point in taking out other travel options when you can already set the game to hyperlane only. kinda wish you could also turn off jump jets though.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Midnight Voyager posted:

This is a thing I swear people say every 20 pages, but that is inaccurate. They said something about how if they had a chance to do it over again, they would just have hyperlanes and that the three types of basic travel were a mistake, but they're not going to cut out two entire types of travel because it wouldn't be fair to players.

Yeah, that makes sense, it did seem like a dumb rumor.

Roobanguy posted:

no point in taking out other travel options when you can already set the game to hyperlane only. kinda wish you could also turn off jump jets though.

Agreed. And there is probably a mod out there that kills jump drives.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Midnight Voyager posted:

Nope.

https://youtu.be/1w7MyDPhuy8

They are genuinely considering it - everyone would start hyperdrive-only, there'd be fixed wormholes and some systems would only be accessible by lategame warp.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Aethernet posted:

Nope.

https://youtu.be/1w7MyDPhuy8

They are genuinely considering it - everyone would start hyperdrive-only, there'd be fixed wormholes and some systems would only be accessible by lategame warp.

so exactly how endless space 2 works

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.

Surprise Giraffe posted:

So after whining about this game in the endless thread Im now pathologically adicted to it. Wheeee

ha ha ha ha :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Cease to Hope posted:

so exactly how endless space 2 works

Pretty much - although there'd be more organic gating of systems through having big enemies in chokepoints you'll need a reasonably high level of tech to get past.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Can someone give me a quick rundown on sectors? I've hit my 4/4 colony cap, but I remember something about being able to colonize planets past that, but just having to turn them into automated sectors that are AI controlled and take care of themselves, or something?

I'm also getting absolutely blasted due to my lack of influence. -20% happiness, despite having 4 rivals. It's my frontier outposts, but I need them to grab all the good resources.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Sep 21, 2017

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

LordMune posted:

ha ha ha ha :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

sickos.jpg

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Q8ee posted:

Can someone give me a quick rundown on sectors? I've hit my 4/4 colony cap, but I remember something about being able to colonize planets past that, but just having to turn them into automated sectors that are AI controlled and take care of themselves, or something?

I'm also getting absolutely blasted due to my lack of influence. -20% happiness, despite having 4 rivals. It's my frontier outposts, but I need them to grab all the good resources.

if you go into the planets menu you can set up sectors. starting a new sector costs some influence, but adding planets to existing sectors does not.

you don't have to make one of your 4 planets into a sector, but can instead colonize a planet and wait for it to finish and make that a new sector. you'll want to dump some resource's into the sector or put some resource heavy systems into them so they will actually make buildings and not cost you money.

if you have habitable planets in your outposts influence zones, you can destroy the outposts after colonizing them.

Roobanguy fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Sep 21, 2017

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Haven't been following the thread. Do we know what the price is going to be on Synthetic Dawn?

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Drone posted:

Haven't been following the thread. Do we know what the price is going to be on Synthetic Dawn?

10$

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Drone posted:

Whatever it says for your region here

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I save sectors for annexing. Raise your core world limit, but save your sectors for when you decide to absorb a vassal.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

People have come up against the sector cap? :psyduck:

Qubee
May 31, 2013

basic hitler posted:

I save sectors for annexing. Raise your core world limit, but save your sectors for when you decide to absorb a vassal.

It's easier mid / late game to just spam colony ships and let them handle themselves in automation. I've got literally 0 influence so I can't even start a sector... oops.

I also realised I was getting my rear end kicked in battle because I wasn't diversifying my fleets enough. I had all my ships just using whichever the strongest weapon was, but instead I should have been making missile ships, close quarter ships, corvette's that are jam-packed with high damage, low range weapons, ensure I've got enough spread between armour penetration and shield damage. Battles went like this: I'd either steamroll my opponents, or all my dudes would die so loving quick.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Mister Adequate posted:

Game should have a no-FTL mode where you have to slowboat around, it takes 5 years to cross your home system and 50 to get to the nearest start. I know there's mods along those lines but it should be official. In fact, not 'a mode', the only mode.

sounds too yhut-y to me

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben

Mister Adequate posted:

The name of the game needs a rework too, thinking maybe "Stellar Commandant"... Maybe "Solar King". Or uh... "Lord of all Space-Borne Free-Floating Hydrogen Fusing Bodies".

What star? I'm sure there never was one.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Q8ee posted:

Hyperlanes for my fleets, jump drives for my builders and scientists.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Anticheese posted:

People have come up against the sector cap? :psyduck:

Yeah this is bizarre as the way I see it there's very little reason to have multiple sectors other than it looks cool. I remember that it does improve performance to have multiple sectors over one huge blob sector, so I usually end up with between 2-5 sectors maximum.

I'd like to see sector government play a bigger role in the internal politics and the idea is that if you have like 5 planets and you have a Governor in charge of your remaining 256 planets, the given or might rightly come to the conclusion that it's actually him in charge and not you and rebel against your rule.

Alternatively having the support of sector governments should make life easier for you in some way.

Finally i think being able to restrict sectors to certain pops would be cool. So you could create space ghettos or reserved areas for certain species. I think this is a cool roleplaying thing but it also means that say you have an industrious species in your empire, you can restrict them to one sector and make that sector focus on minerals. Your thrifty aliens in the energy sector, and so on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

Kitchner posted:

I'd like to see sector government play a bigger role in the internal politics and the idea is that if you have like 5 planets and you have a Governor in charge of your remaining 256 planets, the given or might rightly come to the conclusion that it's actually him in charge and not you and rebel against your rule.

A friend of mine wrote a suggestion about an anarchy government type to go to the left of democracy, and said that factions and sectors could play a stronger role than they do for someone playing a parliamentary democracy. I'd love to see sectors involved more in politics in a useful way, and factions with politics or agendas that go beyond what we've already got.

That kind of shifting of power and dealing with internal conflict is something that makes CK2 great, and rebellions more of an opportunity for interesting play than a failure state.

Anticheese fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Sep 21, 2017

• Locked thread