Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Same, I could watch that show forever.

I have never seen LotGH though, so I am excited to get the chance without having to marathon the old series. Is this retelling the same story? I'd never heard of this before the trailer was posted.

You should watch the old series. It ain't in the top 10 on MAL for no reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
no amount of pretty men will get me to try to watch LOGH again

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Moltrey posted:

I've seen other people say it's supposed to be a straight second adaptation of the books, but I can't find a source of that? I have no idea how many episode numbers there are either, so I assuming it's doing like the old OVA and doing 26 24m episodes to cover the first season/first two books, but this is total speculation.

The old anime is still 100000% watchable today for anyone who's interested, I watched it when I was 15 - 16, like getting ready to get my learner's permit in 10 minutes watching it on my phone, so like, anyone can do it, even tho the episode count is daunting.

24 eps/ 12 ep season 1, 3 movies containing 4 eps each for season 2

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

I thought you said we should watch the old series

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

the reason being it's a meme anime for normies, so ymmv on that being a good enough one

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

MAL? More like mal, a word-forming element meaning "bad, badly, ill, poorly, wrong, wrongly,"

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i will never not minimize logh's status but fwiw i'm sure it's worth seeing if you're into that kind of thing

and it's probably fine to start with the new series and go back

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
LoGH being a Normie Anime is a super weird thing, but going by the Reccomendation Thread thread title i get it i guess

Davincie posted:

24 eps/ 12 ep season 1, 3 movies containing 4 eps each for season 2
Oh weird, ty

Everything Burrito posted:

no amount of pretty men will get me to try to watch LOGH again
the boys are pretty and it's very gay if that sweetens the pot for anyone

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

GorfZaplen posted:

MAL? More like mal, a word-forming element meaning "bad, badly, ill, poorly, wrong, wrongly,"
MAL should never be a main indicator of what to watch for those of patrician taste.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Moltrey posted:

LoGH being a Normie Anime is a super weird thing, but going by the Reccomendation Thread thread title i get it i guess

For the most part it's not an issue anymore but 'round here it used to be a go-to blanket rec even if what they were looking for had little or nothing to do with the series. Kinda like what Game of Thrones was for book recs quite some time ago.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Grouchio posted:

MAL should never be a main indicator of what to watch for those of patrician taste.

it's fine if you like to sift through the low rated stuff for things that are good but unappreciated

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

don't be dumb and write off some hugely popular series as unimportant cause you don't like it

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

GorfZaplen posted:

MAL? More like mal, a word-forming element meaning "bad, badly, ill, poorly, wrong, wrongly, my posting"

You forgot one.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

dogsicle posted:

it's fine if you like to sift through the low rated stuff for things that are good but unappreciated
Fair point. And yes Punpun absolutely deserves that #5 ranking.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I loved Punpun as a late teen but now I wonder how much of it has aged into Cliche Sad Boy Just Wants To Cum Meaningfully, i need to buy more of the english volumes

otoh, Berserk and JoJo are on the top manga list so it nailed that

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

AnoHito posted:

You forgot one.

What the, that's not what my post said!?

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

MAL is how I found Flying Phantom Ship, Noiseman Sound Insect and Ring ni Kakero so it's actually fairly win in my estimation

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Moltrey posted:

I don't think even sensuous buttfucking could make me interested in space war and I'm p sure it's not that gay

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

I don't think even sensuous buttfucking could make me interested in space war and I'm p sure it's not that gay
It's not like Utena or Oniisama e... levels and they don't kiss on screen but holy moley is there queer "sub" text

Here's gifs from like five episodes really early on

The book goes into a lot more detail of the blond playing with the red's hair idly when alone and their time teasing and complimenting each other as teens

there are three other heavily gay coded relationships between five central characters too

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Sep 21, 2017

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Moltrey posted:

It really isn't gay at all. Don't lie.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
If you want tragic space gays, you could always just watch Toward the Terra.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Subtext just isn't going to cut it. I need text.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
During most of my adult life, I've tried to maintain serious romantic relationships. I have lived with at least 5 different women at one point or another. Most of those relationships were nowhere near as intimate as Reinhard x Kircheis. Even if they're not gay, those dudes were totally meant for each other.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i once saw a guy recommend legend of the galactic heroes to someone based on them liking kyousougiga and then attempt to further justify it and i'm pretty sure that's the exact moment reccing lotgh became a joke

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

so a few months before symphogear repeated joke history

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
man it was like half a year. happened when seafood was mod iirc

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
:(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1-ajwJFPXs

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

if the new series is an independent adaption from the books i'm still excited for it but i'm also saddened that we won't get to see dusty again

rest in peace old friend

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

The Colonel posted:

i once saw a guy recommend legend of the galactic heroes to someone based on them liking kyousougiga and then attempt to further justify it and i'm pretty sure that's the exact moment reccing lotgh became a joke
oh my god this sucks yeah i totally why some have just no respect for it now

but hey if you're at all interested, it's real good imo!

lmao at saying it's not that gay tho when i know two queer people who have started an episode analysis blog and are re-watching it with a queer lens

VostokProgram posted:

if the new series is an independent adaption from the books i'm still excited for it but i'm also saddened that we won't get to see dusty again

rest in peace old friend
christ i forgot dusty was an anime original character

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
to clarify I was saying it wasn't "the dudes literally have sex on screen" levels of gay not that it had no subtext at all and also I watched whatever movie it is that covers the first two episodes and was bored to death so it's really not a show for everyone and it gets kind of old when people try to sell it super hard (i.e. the meme is a meme for a reason)

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
if gundam wing can get a screaming fujoshi fandom then why not logh

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

ACCA's got some good subtext.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

to clarify I was saying it wasn't "the dudes literally have sex on screen" levels of gay not that it had no subtext at all and also I watched whatever movie it is that covers the first two episodes and was bored to death so it's really not a show for everyone and it gets kind of old when people try to sell it super hard (i.e. the meme is a meme for a reason)
in hindsight, i realize I totally read "and im pretty sure it's not that gay" as a separate thought and you were saying its not that gay as just as a general statement, that was totally my bad im sorry

yeah no i totally get why people just say it's boring. It's entirely people talking with repeated footage of realistic space battles set to classical music and that just does not click with people

im sure people are annoying and lovely about it, im definitely being that, but there's also the other side where I feel there's a reason people sell it super hard. it's it's own thing tho and there's no reason to bring it up after someone says they liked aria or whatever

LoGH Is The Wire Of Anime with every negative thing that also implies

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Sep 21, 2017

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwFpAyEuph8
Wait...is Country of Jewels(Houseki no Kuni) getting an actual anime adaptation!?

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Postal Parcel posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwFpAyEuph8
Wait...is Country of Jewels(Houseki no Kuni) getting an actual anime adaptation!?

Yes. Its official localized title is Land of the Lustrous, so easy to miss if you're used to its other names.

I do kinda wish it was more like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HBVq6wpLLw, but the CG probably is effective for other things too.

Allarion fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Sep 21, 2017

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

Allarion posted:

Yes. Its official localized title is Land of the Lustrous, so easy to miss if you're used to its other names.

I do kinda wish it was more like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HBVq6wpLLw, but the CG probably is effective for other things too.

Thanks for the title correction!

And though I too wish it was more like the original trailer, the CG looks quite good. The trailer movements seem more fluid than most and the expressions look quite nice. I guess CG will make Cinnabar's liquid attacks easier to animate(among other things)?
Still, can't wait to see this show get a proper animation! I stopped reading a while ago, around the time "winter" arrived

Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

Napping Princess was pretty fun, and also had a giant lava monster eating cars, which gives it a few bonus points in my book

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
poo poo! I meant to go see that last night...

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

poo poo! I meant to go see that last night...

Rename yourself No_Cantaloupe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
You do you.

• Locked thread