Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer
Cant you just leave the adapter on the headphones and negate the problem? As long as you're not charging at the same time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

yes but that never stops the same people from making GBS threads their pants every time the topic comes up

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer
I mean I have a nice pair of overhead headphones but I hate carrying them around so I just use the supplied earbuds and tbh they are OK, theyre mostly convenient.

I also have my adapter stuck onto my pair of sennheisers hd 280 so my usecase is 100% the same as before, but I can't have headphones when I'm charging but that never happens to me. If the phone is charging I'm probably sleeping

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

The Management posted:

also sd card slots, removable batteries, and flash.

sd cards for sure

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

sony v6 or v7506 are probably the "good" headphone you should try first before inevitably falling down the internet rabbit hole and ending up at $1500 chinese electrostatics that need a special amp

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.
AKG K271 for me. Many others failed because of poo poo build quality and/or my primate-level motor skills.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

i stopped having issues with my earbuds when i started keeping them in a coin puch, the kind with a n opening held shut by the same metal as those wrist-slap bracelet thingies

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Fiedler posted:

AKG K271 for me. Many others failed because of poo poo build quality and/or my primate-level motor skills.
these are good but kinda weak on the bass and require a dank amp

audeze lcd-2 tho.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

qirex posted:

sony v6 or v7506 are probably the "good" headphone you should try first before inevitably falling down the internet rabbit hole and ending up at $1500 chinese electrostatics that need a special amp

i still have my sony mdr-v6 headphones i bought in 1986

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

LastInLine posted:

:worship:

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

duTrieux. posted:

i stopped having issues with my earbuds when i started keeping them in a coin puch, the kind with a n opening held shut by the same metal as those wrist-slap bracelet thingies

nice, good strat. my number one cable purchase doesn't directly protect the items but it probably helps reduce some cases of stress. the product is velcro one-wrap cable ties. they are little cable ties that have hook on one side and ladder on the other:

they give prominent advertising to the ripoff packs that have 5 ties and cost $5 US, but go to any real retailer who sells em and you can buy them in rolls. about 2.5 years ago i bought a pack of rolls that had 100 ties and cost me $6. i still have it. it looks like amazon prices have gone up a bit since then but i seriously recommend it for all ur cable needs. (also, hot tip: the length of each tie is decently long, so for cables (like headphones) that have skinny wires you can just cut the excess of the tie off with some scissors)

hifi posted:

i use camelcamelcamel because every online store lies about discounts

my joke was that i found the item i wanted to buy, found that amazon was the cheapest to order from, and then went thru the color options to find the cheapest color. i ended up with orange b/c i guess that's the least popular? idk

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
my solution to losing headphones or breaking them is not use expensive ones. i have this $50 BT set of headphones at the moment and they're actually really horrible even though they sound good. has a microphone but cant support non-landline quality audio when using the mic, for some reason. so i cant replace my PC headphones with it. also, you cant charge them and use them, which isnt a big deal either, but means they're worthless PC headphones. so the only use case is when im in public i guess? but thats what my car stereo and looking like a chainsmoking vagrant in the parking lot is for

so pretty much i never use them

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

qirex posted:

their earpads suck rear end

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

Larry Parrish posted:

my solution to losing headphones or breaking them is not use expensive ones. i have this $50 BT set of headphones at the moment and they're actually really horrible even though they sound good. has a microphone but cant support non-landline quality audio when using the mic, for some reason. so i cant replace my PC headphones with it. also, you cant charge them and use them, which isnt a big deal either, but means they're worthless PC headphones. so the only use case is when im in public i guess? but thats what my car stereo and looking like a chainsmoking vagrant in the parking lot is for

so pretty much i never use them

If you spent 50 why didn't you buy the meeaudio matrix2? Aptx, wired and wireless mode, good mic, good build quality and like... 20ish hours of continuous battery life

coke
Jul 12, 2009

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

lol the note 8 is literally just an s8+ with a stylus no one uses for hundreds of dollars more

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

all pictures to scale

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

love it when companies copy even apple's bad decisions

quote:

The Pixelbook will reportedly come in only one color, silver, and have three different storage tiers: 128GB, 256GB, and 512GB. Those will sell for $1,199, $1,399, and $1,749 — at which point you could have easily bought five cheaper Chromebooks instead. One particular oddity: despite the high price, the Pixelbook apparently won’t ship with its stylus, called the Pixelbook Pen, which is supposed to sell for an additional $99.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
the $99 stylus thing started with the surface

or do you mean making a massively overpriced netbook that no one has any use for at that pricepoint?

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

qirex posted:

love it when companies copy even apple's bad decisions

What would you do with that much storage on a chrome book?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

my 2017 telephone was finally updated to the 2016 os!

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

My 2017 Galaxy A5 just got Nougat, some observations:

1) Don't know if it has anything to do with Nougat, but the fingerprint reader is useful again. I've only had it for a month but the past 2 weeks it was brutal, I re-registered fingerprints but it was still taking 4-5 tries. Now it's been flawless the past 2 days.
2) New format for notifications is clearer, fits a little more detail.
3) All-caps headers. Ugh.

Other than not as expected not much change, but one regression has been scrolling - it's noticeably choppier now, in aspects like scrolling the app list and in apps like Twitter. Anyone else with an A5 on Nougat and notice this?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

qirex posted:

LastInLine posted:

yeah i bought a used mdr-v6 set off a goon back in 2003 and it's been a champ. i replaced the cushions ages ago, and had to resolder* the leads in both cans (not at the same time) and they're still extremely needs-suiting. i think that was possibly the best ~$80 i've ever spent.

*okay had to ask a friend to resolder them because i'm a shameful cj

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Endless Mike posted:

my 2017 telephone was finally updated to the 2016 os!

lmao how is android still struggling to get scrolling smooth. that's poo poo an iphone 4 can do. pathetic.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

scrolling has been fine since version 4-something if you have a device that isn't garbo

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
anroid: multiple major OS revisions to get functional scrolling

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.
It still doesn't scroll as well as iOS or even Windows Mobile.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Lutha Mahtin posted:

scrolling has been fine since version 4-something if you have a device that isn't garbo

nope, there's still lag no matter how many hacks they pile on the ui

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

Last Chance posted:

nope, there's still lag no matter how many hacks they pile on the ui

lol

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
there's so many things you could rag on anroid for but everyone just keeps dogpiling on a problem that hasn't existed since 2012

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

~project butter~

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

yeah and timb introduced the ios equivalent with the iphone x....project butterface :haw:

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
the Google Nexus 4 was introduced in 2012 and mine scrolls crisco-smooth

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Lutha Mahtin posted:

the latter problem being prevalent in the world of anroid

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

as long as you can predict which device of the generation will not turn out to have huge quality issues, not be abandoned without security updates within six months, and wont spontaneously catch fire, android indeed seems a lot better

despite a lot of selection bias making people think that is easy it seems to remain a crapshoot though

"just get a device that isn't garbo" etc.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
when he said don’t buy a garbage device, he was saying not to buy an android

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

as long as you can predict which device of the generation will not turn out to have huge quality issues, not be abandoned without security updates within six months, and wont spontaneously catch fire, android indeed seems a lot better

despite a lot of selection bias making people think that is easy it seems to remain a crapshoot though

"just get a device that isn't garbo" etc.

it turns out designing processors is hard and qualcomm isnt v. good at it

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dodoman posted:

If you spent 50 why didn't you buy the meeaudio matrix2? Aptx, wired and wireless mode, good mic, good build quality and like... 20ish hours of continuous battery life

I live in a place where even UPS tends to get lost and if I'm going to drive 30 miles to the closest UPS store I might as well just buy the headset at Best Buy or something

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

LastInLine posted:

it turns out designing processors is hard and qualcomm isnt v. good at it

hey now, they have just now designed a core that's slightly better than apple's from two years ago. wrap it up iphailures

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

hey now, they have just now designed a core that's slightly better than apple's from two years ago. wrap it up iphailures

honestly to me the amazing part isnt that apple is killing it on making their soc its that samsung has literally entire stack under their chaebol and have for almost a decade and still cant do better than qualcomm

not that samsung is a trustworthy partner to google but still given their resources how are they this bad?

i wish we had a poster like the management but for samsung because as bad as the internal dynamics at microsoft are they must be a trillion times funnier at samsung

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
Samsung doesn't do their own chip design and qualcom has no incentive to create better chips so it wont change until one of those two things change.