Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
I know there's clive barker poo poo and Inquisitor, but has there ever been like a witch hunting/Heresy Hunting game where you're part of an investigative order, outright called inquisitor or otherwise, where you go around most of the time harmless peasants, merchants or nobles/kings and actual murder mysterious or other conspiracies to figure out if Satan's involved? The more frequent meta of the game is balancing reputation within your and other orders in the church hoping for more heretics to punish/angry you're making them look bad with said number of heretics found, reputation of which noble lines or countries you piss off; and occasionally how much power you may actually have to survive the occasional dip into real occult horror, to defend yourself against psychopaths that merely think they're some sort of wendigo or whatever and/or the assassination attempts. You may also get calls to discern if a miracle actually occurred and you can logically debunk them (or figure out they actually are the real deal, pocket it them to use against the forces of hell and just report back they were a sham). You can always just turn a blind eye for profit.

The church just cares about a maintained status quo more than if you actually take or an honest to god demon or 10, however, there may be some consequences for going up against or mingling the forces of evil so much that to the rest of the world you are no longer just some young priest. They just might pray for you to save the world from Armageddon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Skyscraper posted:

Oh, hey, that's out on Audible now apparently. I'd better pick that up.

Not to turn this into a Book Barn thread, but the whoooole middle of the book is this weird flashback to the 20s and I didn't dig it at all... And then it gets great and then I freakin' loved it.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

FirstAidKite posted:

It starts off as Gothic, yeah, and then by the end of the game you're dealing with madness and Old Ones and brain eyes that let you "understand" the world just a little better.

Oh man, Eldritch. That game is so good and way scarier than it has any right to be given what it looks like. You wouldn't think something that looks like this

would end up being scary but then it just ramps up with the types of enemies and the sound design is just really good and I always ended up feeling on edge while wandering around, fearing running into the shoggoth or into one of those mummies you mentioned.

eldritch is definitely a cool experience for really cheap whenever it goes on sale for like a dollar or whatever

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Crabtree posted:

I know there's clive barker poo poo and Inquisitor, but has there ever been like a witch hunting/Heresy Hunting game where you're part of an investigative order, outright called inquisitor or otherwise, where you go around most of the time harmless peasants, merchants or nobles/kings and actual murder mysterious or other conspiracies to figure out if Satan's involved? The more frequent meta of the game is balancing reputation within your and other orders in the church hoping for more heretics to punish/angry you're making them look bad with said number of heretics found, reputation of which noble lines or countries you piss off; and occasionally how much power you may actually have to survive the occasional dip into real occult horror, to defend yourself against psychopaths that merely think they're some sort of wendigo or whatever and/or the assassination attempts. You may also get calls to discern if a miracle actually occurred and you can logically debunk them (or figure out they actually are the real deal, pocket it them to use against the forces of hell and just report back they were a sham). You can always just turn a blind eye for profit.

The church just cares about a maintained status quo more than if you actually take or an honest to god demon or 10, however, there may be some consequences for going up against or mingling the forces of evil so much that to the rest of the world you are no longer just some young priest. They just might pray for you to save the world from Armageddon.

Are you an aspiring game developer or something? I always notice you making posts along the lines of "has there ever been a horror game where *extremely specific set of circumstances happens*?"

to answer your question though there's an anime about that and it's insane as gently caress

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

DeathChicken posted:

He admitted a long time ago that he had to come to terms with the fact he found sex in general to be icky and had no interest
he's a hypocrite. he's had a girlfriend for a number of years

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Relin posted:

he's a hypocrite. he's had a girlfriend for a number of years
Doesn't mean he has to be having sex with her. Asexual couples exist.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
that's true horror imho

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Drunken Baker posted:

Not to turn this into a Book Barn thread, but the whoooole middle of the book is this weird flashback to the 20s and I didn't dig it at all... And then it gets great and then I freakin' loved it.
Cool, I'll keep it in mind!

Relin posted:

that's true horror imho
:agreed:

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

H.P. Lovecraft's Call of the Untouched Vagina

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Making fun of people's sexual preferences isn't cool IMO, even if its asexuality.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

CharlestonJew posted:

to answer your question though there's an anime about that and it's insane as gently caress

The type you recommend to watch or steer away from?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I really wish Inquisitor didn't have such grognardy bullshit combat mechanics and 'old-school' grinding because the portions of that RPG where you're just going around town trying to figure out who to trust and solving mysteries loving rule, and everything to do with the dungeons and combat sucks.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Mindblast posted:

The type you recommend to watch or steer away from?

I'd recommend it but the thread is here if you want to check it out: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3827827

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

DeathChicken posted:

He admitted a long time ago that he had to come to terms with the fact he found sex in general to be icky and had no interest

All Yahzee wants to do is go to space.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

exploded mummy posted:

All Yahzee wants to do is go to spaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaace.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Raxivace posted:

Making fun of people's sexual preferences isn't cool IMO, even if its asexuality.

:rolleyes:

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Is there a problem?

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Raxivace posted:

Is there a problem?

Not one worth derailing a good thread over, calm your virtue

Simiain
Dec 13, 2005

"BAM! The ole fork in the eye!!"

A. Beaverhausen posted:

:rolleyes:

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

It's p. lame my dude.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Stop being lovely and talk about horror.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

CharlestonJew posted:

Are you an aspiring game developer or something? I always notice you making posts along the lines of "has there ever been a horror game where *extremely specific set of circumstances happens*?"

God no, I'm just bored and I'm waiting for horror games to come out. All I know that's coming out this year is Evil Within 2 and I'm hoping someone knows anything out there that could interest me.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

A. Beaverhausen posted:

gently caress off shithead

Anyway, horror. I started playing Secret world because it rebooted and I hate myself and have a crippling F2P MMO addiction but that game actually has some surprisingly spooky bits in it, which got me thinking about how hard it must be to do horror in an MMORPG.

Which then got me thinking about Resident Evil Outbreak and man what a weird janky amazing game that nobody could ever have played in the proper conditions for it to actually be good.

brand name canned soup
Aug 20, 2009

So no one told you life was gonna be this way
(clap clap clap clap)
Your job's a joke, you're broke, your love life's D.O.A.
(clap clap clap clap)
man i was holding onto a lot of misplaced hope that capcom would maybe port the outbreak games to pc with online play when RE7/REmakeHD came out so i could actually play them. wonder if they hold up as well as the other classic games

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Blockhouse posted:

Anyway, horror. I started playing Secret world because it rebooted and I hate myself and have a crippling F2P MMO addiction but that game actually has some surprisingly spooky bits in it, which got me thinking about how hard it must be to do horror in an MMORPG.

Which then got me thinking about Resident Evil Outbreak and man what a weird janky amazing game that nobody could ever have played in the proper conditions for it to actually be good.

How far along are you? There's some good ones in Tokyo

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

exploded mummy posted:

All Yahzee wants to do is go to space.

God, 7 Days a Skeptic was just

bluh

I remember a couple plotholes in it like at one point the villain had possessed someone and you saw them run off or something like that even though you'd just found their corpse elsewhere. Here you had this weird body-swapping monster and yet he couldn't keep it consistent if it was a possession thing or a ghost thing. Then that ending. No foreshadowing (or at least I don't think there was any foreshadowing) and just out of nowhere, existing solely for the purpose of giving the game a downer ending even though there had to have been some way for them to find out what was going on.

Instead, it's just....spaaaaaaaaaaaace

e: Here's a fun question. What's your least favorite horror game ending and why? Specifically endings that are intended to be a final ending. I don't mean things like how in Clock Tower SNES you can leave the car right away and get the worst ending (though that ending is actually pretty good). I don't just mean that the last area is bad either, like how people don't like the RE7 mines or the chase at the end of Parasite Eve. I mean those horror game endings that just undo any goodwill the game had up until that point or, worse, make you question why you even bothered with the game.

For me, I've mentioned it before but the ending to the rpgmaker horror game Witch's House is just super lovely. It has its normal ending where you escape and everything is okay and your dad shows up and shoots the witch to death and you're saved, yay but then the true ending is the exact same as the regular ending except it includes the reveal that the witch had swapped bodies with the main character and so when the dad shows up, he's protecting to witch in his daughter's body and the witch that he blows apart with his gun is actually his daughter. It just put a big downer on the entire thing.

I had the same problem with Mad Father where the ending is that throughout the whole game, your character is struggling to deal with the fact that her father is a horrible person, a murderer, a torturer, that he is just absolutely the epitome of evil, and then in the ending she grows up to do the exact same thing as her dad despite all of the disgust she had towards him and what he had done. It was annoying that your ending to the game is just "oh also she grew up to become a serial killer who did the same things her dad did."

FirstAidKite fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Sep 21, 2017

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

the best thing about 7 days a skeptic was how every single aspect of space physics was wrong

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Len posted:

How far along are you? There's some good ones in Tokyo

Just hit Savage Coast. Found a loving free-standing door in a burnt-out motel room and stopped there.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

GulagDolls posted:

the best thing about 7 days a skeptic was how every single aspect of space physics was wrong
Yeah, that's not bad writing, that's the cosmic horror of The Terrible Secret of Space.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

GulagDolls posted:

okay neil degrasse tyson

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

That game would have been so much better if John Defoe was trying to protect you by pushing you down the stairs

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Blockhouse posted:

I remember trying a f2p "horror mmo" that was featured on a frontpage MMO Roulette and man was it bad. I don't know what could drive someone to try to make multiplayer spook 'em ups but god bless them everyone.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Blockhouse posted:

Just hit Savage Coast. Found a loving free-standing door in a burnt-out motel room and stopped there.

Ignore all the horrible f2p poo poo and go through the story because there's some REALLY good poo poo coming up also you should join us in the SWL thread and post about your newbie experiences

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3821957

Len fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Sep 21, 2017

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

GulagDolls posted:

Are you thinking about the radio spikes or something else?

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Just play the original Secret World, the reboot is total garbage and unfinished anyway.
In short, gently caress Funcom.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Dreadwroth posted:

Just play the original Secret World, the reboot is total garbage and unfinished anyway.
In short, gently caress Funcom.

Not only do I not know how one would do this, I don't want to. I hate basically everything about vanilla Secret World's combat and progression.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
Tab targeting and the old combat system in TSW were trash-garbage.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Also unfinished or not wouldn't playing vanilla Secret World without access to any of the issues at all (since even if you could load that game up I sure loving doubt there's any way to buy content that no longer exists) just be even more unfinished?

Yeah no thanks

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Blockhouse posted:

Also unfinished or not wouldn't playing vanilla Secret World without access to any of the issues at all (since even if you could load that game up I sure loving doubt there's any way to buy content that no longer exists) just be even more unfinished?

Yeah no thanks

You can still buy the content in the old game but why? It won't get anything new ever. Funcom is the worst but so far they've been on point with everything and almost all the content of the old game is in again which since you're new, only in Savage Coast, and hadn't done any of the stuff doesn't matter a single bit.

Also Tokyo in the old game is 100% trash and the fact anyone would say play that over the new version shows they have no idea what they're talking about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Secret World had a cool story but I never got out of the first area of the old version because it ran like poo poo on the computer I had.

I've since upgraded. It still runs like poo poo though. System Requirement Labs says I'd need more RAM and a better CPU unfortunately :|