Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

shrike82 posted:

We don’t know how to write good software period.

Software like Slack and Spotify being Chrome instances (Atom) is a good example of that - how the gently caress does a music player and glorified chat app consume over a GB of ram???

Lazy programming because lol just buy 32gb ram you loving nerd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

The government going to Silicon Valley to create a “digital taskforce” to salvage the initial launch of the healthcare.gov was pretty funny tho.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

shrike82 posted:

The government going to Silicon Valley to create a “digital taskforce” to salvage the initial launch of the healthcare.gov was pretty funny tho.

The government should learn that feature creep is bad and wrong. See: every major procurement program within the last three administrations.

loving appoint some head honcho who can put his foot down and point out the thing is designed for future extensions so if your special snowflake feature is that important hire someone to implement it after the main system is delivered.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

fishmech posted:

Trillions of dollars and manhours have been spent to prove good business software is impossible.
I have to use scientific software. I have wet dreams over the quality of business software.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

blowfish posted:

The government should learn that feature creep is bad and wrong. See: every major procurement program within the last three administrations.

loving appoint some head honcho who can put his foot down and point out the thing is designed for future extensions so if your special snowflake feature is that important hire someone to implement it after the main system is delivered.

Sounds like a good way to kill yourself politically, if you're the head honcho.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

baquerd posted:

Sounds like a good way to kill yourself politically, if you're the head honcho.

Well just make it an appointed civil service position with good pay and retirement benefits.

Better to overpay one person than every contractor ever.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/WilliamTurton/status/910353206210961408

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Sundae posted:

Imagine that you're going into the office on Monday and pitching this new piece of software to your existing enterprise-scale organization. It'll be so much better than what you're currently doing; all you have to do is manage the transition of your systems from SAP to the new software. The company likes the idea, and then they tell you that it'll be your task to lead the transition project.

You get to figure out a way to move your business away from three decades of SAP without loving up everything. Breaking into a cold sweat yet? :v:

I've had nightmares like this.
Years ago my smart and capable friend lost his job in a very scaled down version of this (outdated outlook vesrion->google at a law firm, how about we skip the spergy discussion that invites). He didn't even screw anything technical up, but the bulk of the older lawyers and paralegals etc. transitioned from grumbling mode to stuck-pig mode and the partners caved. He still talks about it almost every time he gets drunk.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
A big part of the challenges with business software are the endless special requirements and customizations everyone insists on to support their insane business processes. Cloud solutions aren't completely immune to this but the transition from on-prem should definitely help there.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

blowfish posted:

Well just make it an appointed civil service position with good pay and retirement benefits.

Better to overpay one person than every contractor ever.

That is exceedingly unAmerican.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

blowfish posted:

Lazy programming because lol just buy 32gb ram you loving nerd.

It's very hard to justify the investment to write 3 separate native apps for Windows, MacOS, and Linux. You wouldn't believe how many millions of dollars of work it takes to make those crappy Electron apps that have been mentioned, and then imagine tripling that to write native clients.

Electron is a lifesaver.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Water is just really diluted juice

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
If you drink enough water and don't die from your heart stopping, you can also give yourself permanent paralysis.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
It's getting slightly better because of Microsoft. Back when companies were connecting their internal networks to the Web for the first time, they built their internal web portals with early versions of IE in mind, IE6 in particular. Companies would hire consultants to build internal apps that worked exclusively with IE6, have the consultants leave when they were done, and refuse to upgrade when new versions of IE broke the apps. It was a major headache as Microsoft had to drag these huge companies kicking and screaming to upgrade when they finally cut support. A few years later, they noticed the same companies were doing the same thing with Windows 7 and IE9, using them as a standard long after most consumers have moved on. Microsoft basically put their foot down and said they would only support the latest version of IE that a particular OS would run, cutting years off of the IE9 support timeline for everything more modern than Windows Vista. Since then, companies have been forced to maintain their legacy web applications if they wanted security patches, which has made them slightly better as the people building the software know they will have to maintain it.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Twerk from Home posted:

It's very hard to justify the investment to write 3 separate native apps for Windows, MacOS, and Linux. You wouldn't believe how many millions of dollars of work it takes to make those crappy Electron apps that have been mentioned, and then imagine tripling that to write native clients.

Electron is a lifesaver.

That's still no justification for using Electron/Atom/webkit instead of any other rendering engine in a wrapper. The slack browser based app already runs in Firefox's Gecko, IE's Trident, Edge's whatever that engine is called, even Safari's more traditional variant of webkit.

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

mobby_6kl posted:

A big part of the challenges with business software are the endless special requirements and customizations everyone insists on to support their insane business processes. Cloud solutions aren't completely immune to this but the transition from on-prem should definitely help there.

I was at a company (fortune 500) that was bike shedding the poo poo out of a move to off prem workday. Hr and other people had all these special snowflake things that workday said they wouldn't do and that the software covered their concerns already.

Eventually the CIO (backed by hr head) just told everyone that we're moving to workday, they won't implement your super special one off and to just figure out how to use the new system. There was lots of gnashing of teeth but the moved over and the company is fine two years later.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

uh a "five day water cleanse" is just a fast

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Twerk from Home posted:

Electron is a lifesaver.

Why make one good app, when you can have three lousy ones!

It's a particularly egregious thing because so many of these lovely electron apps are not particularly complicated. Slack is a glorified IRC client. All the clever stuff is on their servers in the cloud. Or a text editor that takes gigs of memory (whatever) but more importantly has perceptible delays in UI or event responsiveness. A text editor! It's replicating the features of software from the 1980s, but worse!

Trying out Atom was what finally convinced me to send the Sublime Text guy $70, despite ST being very nice about working forever in trail mode and only popping up a nag like 1 in 5 sessions.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

boner confessor posted:

uh a "five day water cleanse" is just a fast
What the gently caress is Raw Spring Water? Jesus christ almighty.

Konstantin posted:

It's getting slightly better because of Microsoft.
Them killing XP support was what finally motivated the Los Angeles school district to do away with their 1980s student information service run off of DOS.

They were literally shipping Win 7 machines with an XP Virtualizer so that people could use the danged information and book records system. Rather than push a gradual move, they launched an underbaked system that was so broken it probably resulted in a lawsuit or two.

I can only imagine what it's like at the federal level. Or in banking.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Been getting promoted Facebook and Twitter posts for this website:

:allears:

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Twerk from Home posted:

You need native clients anyway for platforms like iOS, just support iOS and macOS and don't worry about the rest.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Whooping Crabs posted:

Water is just really diluted juice

Homeopathic juice!

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

FilthyImp posted:

What the gently caress is Raw Spring Water? Jesus christ almighty.
Untreated spring water. The bay area website indicates the water comes from Oregon, that transport/fuel use is super good for the environment.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

eschaton posted:

Homeopathic juice!

My purity of essence ~~~

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Twerk from Home posted:

Electron is a lifesaver.

should just use a jvm language instead of packaging a chrome instance with your app

works p well for me and doesn't gobble up as much ram as electron

plus you're not forced to write in a dynamically typed garbage language like javascript :whitewater:

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

Condiv posted:

should just use a jvm language instead of packaging a chrome instance with your app

plus you're not forced to write in a dynamically typed garbage language like javascript :whitewater:

Lots of people love JavaScript and only want to write in it (maybe Python too). That goes for iOS and Android via React Native UIs.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Analytic Engine posted:

Lots of people love JavaScript and only want to write in it (maybe Python too). That goes for iOS and Android via React Native UIs.

yeah, sick people with diseased brains

javascript is a nightmare, but if you wanted to bad enough you could still write javascript targeting the jvm thanks to the jvm having a js engine built in. iirc, said engine should be capable of allowing javascript to call java code if you allow it to, allowing you to do all the ui and network and disk based stuff you want to do right from javascript

i just dunno why you would when you have superior scripting languages on the jvm like groovy, superior dynamically typed languages like clojure, and awesome languages like scala that all target the jvm

Condiv fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Sep 21, 2017

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Condiv posted:

Still garbage. Write once in C, then just compile for each platform.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

mobby_6kl posted:

Still garbage. Write once in C, then just compile for each platform.

isn't the best option for c for cross platform ui gtk+? :barf:

and why would you use C over rust? rust has a better type system, better language design, etc.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Condiv posted:

i just dunno why you would when you have superior scripting languages on the jvm like groovy, superior dynamically typed languages like clojure, and awesome languages like scala that all target the jvm
Surprised you didn't mention Kotlin, especially with it getting all this hype now from Android.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

Condiv posted:

yeah, sick people with diseased brains

javascript is a nightmare, but if you wanted to bad enough you could still write javascript targeting the jvm thanks to the jvm having a js engine built in. iirc, said engine should be capable of allowing javascript to call java code if you allow it to, allowing you to do all the ui and network and disk based stuff you want to do right from javascript

Have you considered the possibility that you suck at JavaScript?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Analytic Engine posted:

Have you considered the possibility that you suck at JavaScript?

certainly! just like how i suck at php. the fact I suck at them doesn't change the fact they were both poorly designed, and really aren't worth your time if you have better tools at your disposal

i'm sure people could become experts at using the above hammer to drive nails, but that doesn't change the fact it's poorly suited for the task

Condiv fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Sep 21, 2017

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/JamesADamore/status/910547650407055360

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:wtc: what does he even mean by that

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Condiv posted:

certainly! just like how i suck at php. the fact I suck at them doesn't change the fact they were both poorly designed, and really aren't worth your time if you have better tools at your disposal

i'm sure people could become experts at using the above hammer to drive nails, but that doesn't change the fact it's poorly suited for the task

They sure can be worth your time if you are getting paid for it, and there a lot of PHP and javascript jobs out there

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Elias_Maluco posted:

They sure can be worth your time if you are getting paid for it, and there a lot of PHP and javascript jobs out there

that falls under

quote:

aren't worth your time if you have better tools at your disposal

if your boss demands you use tool X to get the job done, tool Y is not really at your disposal is it?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

blowfish posted:

It means he identifies with the KKK

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!

blowfish posted:

He's a radical centrist.

Seriously.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

With all of the scandals that have been happening in the past year, I'm kind of surprised so many of my classmates applied to Uber at my college's job fair.

No, I shouldn't be surprised, should I?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Shugojin posted:

It means he identifies with the KKK

yeah but i didn't realise a key component of kkk membership would be playing d&d/posting in d&d (not sure which)???