Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Fire on the Water posted:

Two zombies try to block your passage but you cleave them in half with one sweep of the Sommerswerd. You are at the foot of the tower and you can now see a hunchbacked man in crimson robes above you. He wears a tall, curved tokmor, a magician’s head-dress. It bears the emblem of a serpent. In his right hand is a black staff.

The climb is very difficult, for you have only one free hand—the other holds the glowing hilt of the Sommerswerd.

You eventually reach the rim of the tower and quickly hook a leg over the narrow ledge. You are about to jump into the tower and attack when a thin voice makes you freeze.

‘How I shall delight in the irony of your death, Lone Wolf.’

The sorcerer is standing in the far corner of the tower, his left hand pointing at your head. ‘Your quest has failed, Lone Wolf. Now you must die!’

A blinding flash of orange flame shoots from his hand towards your face.

In a fraction of a second, the searing burst of flame changes direction in mid-air and is drawn towards the blade of the Sommerswerd. The bolt of energy disappears into the golden blade like water into a drain. (You remember that the Sommerswerd has the power to absorb magic. This power has saved you from certain death.)

The sorcerer curses you, pulls a jewel from his ornate tokmor, and throws it at your feet. There is a flash of flame and a cloud of choking green gas billows up in your face, filling your nostrils with its acidic smell. You are forced to jump to the deck below to avoid the poisonous gas, and you just catch a glimpse of the sorcerer as he frantically paddles a small boat away from the death-hulk flagship.
Should we swim after him or fight our way back to a Durenese ship?

Bonus update: A full walkthrough of the first book that I made for the ongoing let's play contest. Contains some minor spoilers for our current situation, but nothing we won't learn eventually anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Ooooooh, when I get my hands on you there'll be hell to pay! :argh:

(Chase after him.)

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Boat it. It would be terribly embarrassing if you lost that shiny new sword in the goddamn ocean.

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

Follow that wizard!

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Head for an allied ship. We've done enough swimming.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
get hosed, wizzart

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Yeah, the Sommerswerd just augmenting your capability does seem in line with how Dever reimagined Lone Wolf, which in my opinion only makes the Sommerswerd even more stupidly overpowered.

Chase that wizard!

Bozikek
Jul 22, 2007
No more swimming. That wizard is driven from the tower, that's good enough. Let's get back to where we can do the most good. Head to a friendly ship

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

achtungnight posted:

Head for an allied ship. We've done enough swimming.
It's OK, we couldn't actually have caught him anyway.

As you race along the corpse-littered deck, two Drakkarim warriors emerge from a doorway and attack you by surprise. You must fight them one at a time.

Drakkar 1: COMBAT SKILL 17 ENDURANCE 25

Drakkar 2: COMBAT SKILL 16 ENDURANCE 26
This is one of those fights we have the opportunity of running away from, but our Combat Skill is 29 so, uh, we're just going to slaughter these dudes.

Lone Wolf: COMBAT SKILL 29 ENDURANCE 28
Drakkar 1: COMBAT SKILL 17 ENDURANCE 25
Combat Ratio: 11+

We roll: 8
Drakkar 1: COMBAT SKILL 17 ENDURANCE 0

Drakkar 2: COMBAT SKILL 16 ENDURANCE 26
Combat Ratio: 11+

We roll: 4
Lone Wolf: COMBAT SKILL 29 ENDURANCE 26
Drakkar 2: COMBAT SKILL 16 ENDURANCE 14

We roll: 8
Lone Wolf: COMBAT SKILL 29 ENDURANCE 26
Drakkar 2: COMBAT SKILL 16 ENDURANCE 0

You kill them both in combat and jump to the deck of a nearby Durenese ship.

Luck is with you, for you land safely on the deck of the Kalkarm, a Durenese warship. The soldiers here have been involved in a desperate battle but have fought off the enemy and are cutting the grappling ropes that hold the ship to a death-hulk. From out of the smoke strides Lord Axim, his face bloodied and his shield badly scarred.

‘Thank the gods you are alive, Lone Wolf. The fight has been bitter and our losses are high, but I am heartened indeed to see you standing before me now,’ he says and leads you to the ship’s rail. ‘Look yonder, their flagship is ablaze.’

Through the fog of war you can see that the huge death-hulk is slowly sinking beneath a plume of dense black smoke. The Kalkarm is eventually freed and slowly it manoeuvres out of the tangle of wreckage. A wind begins to stir, filling its tattered sails and carrying away the smoke of battle. Lord Axim orders the Royal Arms of Durenor to be hoist aloft so that other ships can rally to the Kalkarm. For the first time since the battle began, you can now see the other Durenese ships. It is an amazing sight for as the enemy flagship sinks beneath the waves, so every death-hulk on the horizon returns to its watery grave.

‘Their sorcery is broken. We have won this battle,’ says Lord Axim. And within a few minutes, not one of the death-hulks remains afloat.

Healing: +1 EP (27/28)

Seventy Durenese warships left Port Bax, but only fifty now enter the Holmgulf. The battle has claimed many brave men including Admiral Calfen, who died aboard the flagship Durenor, the first ship to be sunk. But despite the heavy loss, a great victory has been won, a victory which inspires the Durenese soldiers with new strength so that the past ordeal of both the voyage and the battle are now forgotten. As their optimism and determination return, all are eager to reach Holmgard and raise the siege.

It is dusk on the thirty-seventh day of your quest when you sight the spires of Holmgard on the horizon. The city still stands defiantly against the army of Darklords, although constantly under siege. Flickering in the darkness you can see the small fires which burn throughout the capital. A confident Lord Axim joins you at the prow.

‘The moonless sky will aid us this night. We shall enter the harbour unseen. Come the dawn, my men will scatter the wretched foe like dead leaves upon the wind of a storm.’

As you enter Holmgard harbour at the head of the Durenese fleet, you unsheathe the Sommerswerd and prepare to fulfil your destiny.

Healing: +1 EP (28/28)

Holmgard has suffered much since your departure. Many of the shops and houses you remember passing on your way to the quay, are little more now than heaps of ashes. The Darklords’ army with their evil engines of war surround the walls, and the flaming arcs of fireballs shooting through the air continually light the night sky as they rain down on the streets below. The people fight the fire as best they can, but they are hungry and exhausted and close to surrender. At first, as it enters the harbour, the fleet is mistaken for the enemy and cries of despair can be heard all along the quay. But as the first of the soldiers set foot in the city and unfurl the royal arms of Durenor, the news of your return spreads quickly. The cries of despair have changed to a chorus of cheers: ‘The Kai Lord has returned.’

You are standing at the top of the great watchtower, high above the main gate of the city, when the first light of dawn creeps slowly over the horizon. Thousand upon thousand of the black-clad enemy are massed around the city wall, huddled like beetles in the trenches that cover the plain. In the midst of this horde, a great red tent has been erected bearing the symbol of a broken skull. It is the mark of Zagarna, Lord of Kaag, a Darklord of Helgedad. His great ambition is the destruction of Holmgard; his fiercest desire to lead his army to victory over the House of Ulnar and claim Sommerlund for his own.

But victory is not to be his this day. Raising the Sommerswerd high above your head, a shaft of dawn sunlight catches upon the tip of the golden sword and a brilliant flash of blinding white flame runs the entire length of the blade. The power of the Sommerswerd electrifies you. Your senses reel and now your body reacts instinctively. You lower the Sommerswerd and point the blade towards the tent of Lord Zagarna. There is a mighty roar as the power of the sun-sword is unleashed in a searing white beam. The tent explodes and a brilliant fireball of white flame mushrooms skyward. A long and terrible cry rends the air. It is Lord Zagarna. The leader of the evil army is no more.

Gripped with fear and panic, the vast black army rise up and run in chaos from the city wall. The impossible has happened, their invincible master is slain. Again the Sommerswerd has returned to defeat them. The army and the allies of Durenor ride out of the city gates in pursuit of the panic-stricken enemy as they run blindly towards the Durncrag Mountains. The victory is yours. Holmgard is saved and the murder of the Kai has finally been avenged.

But for you, Lone Wolf, a life of high adventure has only just begun. A new challenge awaits you and the Sommerswerd in Book Three of the Lone Wolf series:

The Caverns of Kalte

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Final stats for book two:

Action Chart
    Combat Skill: 29 (17)
    Endurance Points: 28/28 (26)

Kai Disciplines
  1. Animal Kinship
  2. Healing (Regain 1 EP per section)
  3. Camouflage
  4. Mindblast (+2 CS)
  5. Hunting
  6. Sixth Sense

Weapons:
  1. The Sommerswerd (+8 CS)
    Backpack:
  1. Meal
  2. Meal of laumspur (+3 EP)
  3. Meal
  4. Meal
  5. Laumspur potion (+5 EP)

Gold Crowns (money): 0

Special Items:
  • Map of Sommerlund
  • Helmet (+2 EP)
  • Shield (+2 CS)
  • Ticket to Port Bax
  • White Pass
  • Red Pass

Notable Achievements:
  • Survived two assassination attempts.
  • Met some well-dressed rodents.
  • Retrieved the Sommerswerd (the Sword of the Sun).
  • Saved Sommerlund from invasion.

Missed Opportunities:
  • Failed to pick up a magic spear.

Kills:
  • Three thugs.
  • Parsion, an assassin posing as a priest.
  • Four zombies.
  • A helghast.
  • Two Drakkarim
  • Zagarna, Lord of Kaag, Darklord of Helgedad

And amazingly, no deaths, so our total for the series remains 1.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

I don't think it'll come as a surprise to anyone when I say that this is my least favourite book of the series. As well as the reasons mentioned throughout, it's also really linear, which means that each playthrough is very similar to the last. The first book is one of the best in terms of giving you meaningful choices that actually change how the story progresses, and this is one of the worst. When you add up all the unavoidable sections and the bits determined solely by dice roll there's very little you can actually do to change any outcomes in this book.

In terms of things we missed, there's the magic spear of course, and a couple of helghast fights that result from having it, but the only major thing we missed was right near the end. By choosing to chase the evil wizard we missed out on seeing our old friend, the captain of the Green Sceptre. He's not doing so good.

Anyway, on to book three!

Tiggum fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Sep 21, 2017

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
drat, that's a nasty looking zombie captain...

I agree about Book 2, even though it is usually fun for me when I replay it. My least favorite is yet to come, but it is also a book of a prime number. My favorite is the same as a very significant number that matches the purpose of man's existence according to the play Fools. :)

Looking forward to Book 3. I need reminder as to which Kai disciplines are on the table before voting which is next.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

The Caverns of Kalte posted:

The Story So Far … 

In the northern land of Sommerlund, it had been the custom for many centuries to send the children of the Warrior Lords to the monastery of Kai. There they were taught the skills and disciplines of their noble fathers.

You are Lone Wolf, and you are now the last of the Warrior Lords of Sommerlund. One year ago, the ancient enemy of your people—the Darklords of Helgedad—suddenly invaded Sommerlund and completely devastated the Kai Monastery. All of the Kai warriors were in attendance for the feast of Fehmarn, and all except you were massacred.

You fought your way to Holmgard, the capital of your country, where the King sent you upon a desperate quest for help. Your mission was fraught with great danger, for Sommerlund had been betrayed by one of its own magicians—Vonotar the Traitor. His agents sought to kill you at every opportunity, but your skill and strength defeated their evil aims. You returned to Holmgard at the head of a great fleet—the allies of Durenor—and destroyed the Darklord army that besieged your capital.

Much of Sommerlund was ruined by the war. The rich farmlands were laid waste and many towns were razed to the ground. But the Sommlending are a tough people and were undaunted by the enormous task that lay ahead. They set about the rebuilding of war-torn Sommerlund with such determination that now, one year later, few of the scars of war remain visible.

For the crucial part that you played in the victory, the King has bestowed upon you the rank and title of ‘Fryearl of Sommerlund’, a rare honour for one so young. The ruins of the Kai Monastery and much of the surrounding lands are now ‘Fryelund’ under your protection.

Work to rebuild the monastery was about to commence when disturbing news from the north prompted the King to summon you to the capital. Many merchants, returning from the summer trading expeditions to Kalte, told of the fall of the Brumalmarc—the leader of the Ice Barbarians. The description of the hunchbacked magician who has succeeded the fierce Brumalmarc fits only one man—Vonotar the Traitor.

After the defeat of the Darklords, Vonotar escaped to the frozen wastes of Kalte. He made his way to the ice fortress of Ikaya where, through deception, he tricked the cruel Brumalmarc into adopting him as his magician. It was a mistake that was to cost the barbarian leader his fortress and his life.

The news that Vonotar still lives spreads like wildfire throughout Sommerlund. Thousands of Sommlending surround the capital and demand that Vonotar be made to pay for his treachery. So great is the outcry that the King is obliged to promise that the evil traitor will be brought back to Holmgard, and made to stand trial for his crimes.

For you, Lone Wolf, the King’s promise is the start of a quest that will pit you against a hated foe, deep within the hostile Caverns of Kalte.

So, that's the wizard we just fought. We could have learned about him in book one, but we missed that bit. We could just as easily have missed the little bit we learned about him in book two as well, in which case this would be the first we'd heard of him. So he kind of comes out of nowhere to be the main antagonist of this book, and in a way, of the previous two as well.

But before we can get on with hunting him down we've got some decisions to make. First, a new Kai Discipline: Tracking, Weaponskill, Mind Over Matter or Mindshield.

We also need some new equipment. We're kitted out in winter gear and given a new map and 10 Gold Crowns. We're also given the choice of any two of the following items:
  • Sword
  • Short sword
  • Padded leather waistcoat (+2 EP)
  • Spear
  • Mace
  • Warhammer
  • Axe
  • Potion of laumspur (restores 4 EP)
  • Quarterstaff
  • Meal
  • Broadsword

We can also choose to leave anything we don't want to carry with us behind (or throw things out if we just don't want them at all). An expired coach ticket to Port Bax, for example, is unlikely to help us in Kalte. If you want to leave the Sommerswerd behind, this would be the opportunity to do so - not that I'm saying we should, it's just an option same as any other.

Oh, and you'll have at least 24 hours to vote on this one, because I'm going to be busy this evening and won't have time to post an update.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I vote for picking up Tracking, Padded Leather Waistcoat, and Laumspur. Drop the Ticket, White Pass, and Red Pass.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Grab Mindshield, the Waistcoat, and a potion of laumspur. Dump the passes.

e: that picture of Zagarna just getting his day completely ruined is one of my favorites in the series.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Mindshield, waistcoat (hope we get to keep it this time!), potion. And this:

achtungnight posted:

Drop the Ticket, White Pass, and Red Pass[/b].

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

achtungnight posted:

I vote for picking up Tracking, Padded Leather Waistcoat, and Laumspur. Drop the Ticket, White Pass, and Red Pass.

Seconding this.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

quote:

You lower the Sommerswerd and point the blade towards the tent of Lord Zagarna. There is a mighty roar as the power of the sun-sword is unleashed in a searing white beam. The tent explodes and a brilliant fireball of white flame mushrooms skyward. A long and terrible cry rends the air. It is Lord Zagarna. The leader of the evil army is no more.

Hmm, I think I've seen this anime before...

Leraika posted:

Grab Mindshield, the Waistcoat, and a potion of laumspur. Dump the passes.

Also voting this. No need to let LW's brain get more scrambled than it has to be!

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Materant posted:

But no, we haven't hit peak overpowered until we can get ourselves a bow.
Yo!

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

It's been a drat long time since the last Lone Wolf run, hasn't it?

Mindshield, the leather waistcoat, and the Laumspur. Dump the ticket, but stash the passes. I mean, what if we ever come back to Port Bax? I don't want to end up in bureaucrat hell, do you?

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
Let's learn Mindshield and take the padded leather waistcoat and Laumspur potions with us.

As for what we're leaving behind, I think we can safely toss that boat ticket. Maybe both passes too.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

The crossbow, much like the halberd, is not canon.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
Mindshield sounds like the sort of skill that could save our life.

Pick up waistcoat and the potion.

Drop Red Pass, White Pass, Ticket to Port Bax

Leave in our stash the 3 normal Meals

Kangra
May 7, 2012

I may as well vote for Mind Over Matter just because nobody likes it.

Take the waistcoat and meal. Drop the ticket, put the passes in our locker.

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense
Aaaah, "The caverns of Kalte," my very first introduction to the world of Lone Wolf (so I had to face the first series WITHOUT the Sommerswerd).

So, as for the equipment: Drop the Ticket and the Passes and pick up the Waistcoat and the Potion.

As for the new ability, I'd go with Mindshield.

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

Guy Fawkes posted:

Aaaah, "The caverns of Kalte," my very first introduction to the world of Lone Wolf (so I had to face the first series WITHOUT the Sommerswerd).

This was my first book too but whenever it asked if I had something called the "Sommerswerd" I just said absolutely I do.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

UnwiseTrout posted:

This was my first book too but whenever it asked if I had something called the "Sommerswerd" I just said absolutely I do.

but that's cheating! :ohdear:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Guy Fawkes posted:

Pick up the Waistcoat

Leraika posted:

Grab a potion of laumspur.

Kangra posted:

Drop the ticket, put the passes in our locker.
OK, with that sorted it's time to begin!

Even before you accepted the task of bringing Vonotar to justice, preparations were being made for your voyage to Kalte. The captain of the Sommlending warship Cardonal, having returned from a long Kaltersee patrol, was ordered to await your arrival at Anskaven. During the night, food, ice equipment, and Kanu-dog teams were taken on board. The mission was highly secret—only senior members of the crew were told the true nature of the voyage that lay ahead.

The plan is to set you ashore at Halle Bluff, drop anchor, and await your return. An élite team of trusted guides will lead you from the bluff to Ikaya. Once inside the ice fortress, you are to hunt down and capture Vonotar, and then return with your guides to the ship. Your mission must be accomplished within thirty days at most, for winter is closing in and no ship can withstand the grip of the Kalte pack-ice. If you do not return in time, the captain will be forced to set sail without you.

For six days, the Cardonal sails across the stormy Kaltersee without running into a storm; but every day the temperature steadily drops until a layer of ice covers the decks. On the morning of the seventh day, the snow-capped island of Tola is sighted on the horizon. Soon after, a light wind rises from the east.

At first, there appears to be little danger, but within half an hour a furious blizzard is blowing, and all sight of land quickly vanishes in the scudding drift. All day the furious gale rages. Tremendous winds slice the tops of the huge grey waves and water crashes over the decks, masts, and rigging of the ship, freezing almost immediately into solid ice. The sides of the ship become several feet thick with seawater. It is not until early evening that the weather clears, and although the wind still blows strongly, the force of the gale is spent.

You are soon to discover that the gale has blown the ship nearly thirty miles off course, along the lip of the Ljuk ice shelf. You know that to return to Halle Bluff would waste a precious day, so you decide to land on the ice shelf and start your mission from there.

As the last of the Kanu-dogs are carried ashore, your guides tell you of the two possible routes to Ikaya from here. The first route involves a hundred and thirty mile trek to Cloudmaker Mountain and then, following the difficult terrain of the Viad Glacier, a further hundred miles must be covered before you arrive at the ice fortress. The alternative route involves a longer journey of nearly one hundred and eighty miles into the Hrod Basin, followed by a trek of a hundred miles through Storm Giant Pass to Ikaya. Even if the weather and your luck hold good, either route will involve ten days of hard trekking before you reach your goal. You should consult the map of Kalte before making your decision.
Which way do we go? Viad Glacier, or Hrod Basin?

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
The Glacier. It's shorter and Storm Giant Pass doesn't sound like somewhere we want to go.

Neurophage
Oct 11, 2012
Hrod Basin

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

Hrod Basin. Better than sliding about on a bloody glacier.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
The Glacier. It's shorter and Storm Giant Pass doesn't sound like somewhere we could fight yet

Though I don't think you ever do meet a giant in ANY book? Not sure.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Hrod basin sounds more fun than some glacier.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Avalerion posted:

Hrod basin sounds more fun than some glacier.
The long way it is.

You are to travel to Ikaya by sledge. Two sledges have been loaded with enough food, and equipment for the mission, each drawn by a team of six Kanu-dogs. This sturdy breed is native to Kalte, and they make ideal sledge dogs. Their thick tawny coats and powerful chests, as well as their renowned vigour and enthusiasm make them well suited to the harsh work ahead.

Your three guides, Irian, Fenor, and Dyce, are all experienced trappers. They are skilled at survival in this icy desert and have experienced its many unseen dangers. Once the dogs are in harness, you and Irian climb aboard your sledge and signal to the others to lead the way.

Staring across the frozen expanse of the Ljuk ice shelf, you see the white glare of the Hrod Basin edge. ‘ “Ice-Blink” they call it,’ says Irian, his eyes glinting from deep inside the hood of his fur jacket. ‘It’s the reflection of the ice shelf. It looks no more than four miles away at most, but it’s nearer forty than four. The air of Kalte can be very deceptive.’

The weather is bright and windless and you make excellent progress on the first day. As darkness sets in, you decide to set up camp for the night. The sledges are drawn together, and the tent is erected in the salient away from the wind.

You get an uneasy feeling that someone or something is watching you. You leave the tent and peer into the night for some sign of life, but the snow and the darkness hide everything. Reluctantly, you return to the tent and go to sleep with one hand by your weapon in case of a surprise attack.

When you awake, you sense that something has changed. It takes nearly a minute to realize that the incessant howling of the night winds has ceased. ‘It’s a beautiful morning,’ says Irian cheerfully, his head appearing through the tent flap. You quickly climb out of your sleeping furs and stare out over the icy landscape. The Kalte air is fresh and clear. You see a strong mirage in the distance that seems to throw the land up much higher than it could possibly be.

‘We should make it to “The Rock” by nightfall,’ says Fenor, as he busily pulls a reluctant Kanu-dog into its harness. ‘Best to make camp there tonight. The shelter is good; this far from the sea, a blizzard can whip across the shelf from nowhere in a few minutes. I’ve known trappers to be blown for miles if they’re careless or unlucky enough to be caught out on the shelf with no cover.’

That day, the Kanu-dogs pull strong and true, for the going is smooth across the ice shelf. By nightfall, you have reached ‘The Rock’, a splinter of granite that has thrust through the ice shelf. Its curious shape reminds you of the King’s citadel in Holmgard. You make camp to the leeward side of ‘The Rock’, to avoid the worst of the night winds.

The following day, a strong wind rises from the north. Hour upon hour, it blows relentlessly into your face. The Ljuk ice shelf becomes a mass of twisted slabs of ice, jutting upwards at every angle. Progress is slow and difficult. By midday, you are shivering with cold; your lips are cracked and bleeding and the icy blasts have covered you with a thin film of snow.

You steer your sledge through a narrow passage at the edge of the ice shelf where it meets the Hrod Basin. Here you are sheltered from the wind, and for the first time today you can see ahead quite clearly.

Suddenly, shrieks from above warn you that you are not the only creatures seeking shelter here. Within seconds, three large Baknar jump from the ice wall and land with a crash on the sledges. Your fellow driver, Irian, is thrown against the ice and collapses unconscious. You are prevented from going to his aid by a hungry carnivorous Baknar. There is no hope of evading it; you must fight it to the death.

Baknar: COMBAT SKILL 19 ENDURANCE 30
This could be a pretty tough fight for someone who didn't own a ridiculously overpowered magic sword.

Lone Wolf: COMBAT SKILL 29 ENDURANCE 30
Baknar: COMBAT SKILL 19 ENDURANCE 30
Combat Ratio: 10

We roll: 6
Lone Wolf: COMBAT SKILL 29 ENDURANCE 29
Baknar: COMBAT SKILL 19 ENDURANCE 14

We roll: 7
Lone Wolf: COMBAT SKILL 29 ENDURANCE 29
Baknar: COMBAT SKILL 19 ENDURANCE 0

The heavy beast rolls off the sledge and lies motionless on the ice. Fenor has managed to light a torch and is thrusting the flaming brand at the other two Baknar. They are terrified by the fire and quickly turn and flee. You cheer as they disappear and turn to congratulate your brave guides, but are stunned to see that they have already started to skin the dead Baknar. You watch with disgust as Dyce opens the beast from throat to belly with his sharp hunting knife. He quickly pulls back the white fur and scoops out handfuls of thick oil from under the skin. The smell of this oil is horrible, so horrible in fact that even the Kanu-dogs bury their noses into the snow to avoid it. You cannot believe your eyes when the two guides start to rub this vile oil all over their faces and inside their clothes.

‘Baknar oil,’ shouts Fenor enthusiastically. ‘Nothing like it for keeping warm and dry.’ He pulls his hand from the dead beast and offers you a fistful of the putrid jelly.

Healing: +1EP (30/30).
So should we cover ourselves in the stinking, oily, viscous jelly scooped from the inside of a dead monster? Yes or no?

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

They're the local experts and guides for a reason. Make like Hakan and Oil up.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
There is one giant I can think of Lone Wolf encountering, but it'd be spoilers to say more right now. DUN DUN DUN..........................

Current Decision-

Do as the natives do and cover ourselves in this oil.

And I thought they smelled bad on the outside!

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
So Irian is knocked out on the ice and we don't even care to check if he's alright?

Oil from dead creatures counts as looting so yes, of course we want to cover ourselves in oil.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Oil our muscles.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

anakha posted:

They're the local experts and guides for a reason. Make like Hakan and Oil up.

Not an empty quote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

Grease me up, Fenor!