Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waterslide Industry Lobbyist
Jun 18, 2003

ANYONE WANT SOME BARBECUE?

Lipstick Apathy

OSU_Matthew posted:

Today I bought several PawPaw trees! One is a graft of a Susquehanna, and the other is a wild luck of the draw. Going to transplant them in my side yard, and if all goes well, I should have fruit bearing trees here in a few years.

I also bought a bunch of different PawPaw beers, from Jackie O's, North High Brewing, Thirsty Dog, Little Fish Brewing, Devil's Kettle, Maple Lawn, and Sixth Sense.

Also bought some PawPaw waffles, PawPaw Ice Cream, PawPaw brisket, PawPaw latte, PawPaw Scones, PawPaw chicken kabobs, PawPaw cheesecake, PawPaw curry puff, PawPaw Tamales, PawPaw fudge, PawPaw buckeyes, PawPaw peanut butter brownies...

Oh, and several pounds of PawPaws!

So are these like White People™ cherimoyas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

e.e.coli posted:

2016 Nissan Sentra, to replace my worn-out Toyota. Very happy with the change.

My rental is a Sentra this week... In sport mode it drives like complete poo poo...

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Waterslide Industry Lobbyist posted:

Maybe? Never met a hillbilly from the Andes to swap fruit with.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
To continue my 'time traveler from the 80s' streak, I wanted a cool hoodie, so I got one one eBay.

I also got some incense :2bong:

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Mr. F! posted:

Jeeps are pieces of poo poo hth

Well, normally I'm of the same opinion for anything under the umbrella of ChryCo, but it's actually pretty nice--I'm definitely enjoying having a new(ish) car. Maybe once I get some Sierra club stickers and stuff on there, I won't feel so bad for driving something with such jingoistic overtones.

Waterslide Industry Lobbyist posted:

These things sound pretty great--I'm going to have to track one down to try it! Pawpaws were definitely more popular with the indigenous peoples in the region, white people have largely forgotten about them altogether.

fangsanalsatan
Mar 9, 2009
Bike stuff:

Renthal 1XR 38t chainring

KMC K710-SL 1/2"x1/8" chain

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

poop dood posted:

Are you guys gonna be growing weed or loving children in there?

We're not zoned for either.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Decided to browse Casio's classic collection this morning and...

Casio MQ24-9B, for when I don't want to wear a digital.

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

I just booked some hotels, hostels, and airbnb's in Chile for a wine tasiting and hiking tour my wife and I will be doing. Super stoked!

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

OSU_Matthew posted:

These things sound pretty great--I'm going to have to track one down to try it! Pawpaws were definitely more popular with the indigenous peoples in the region, white people have largely forgotten about them altogether.

Apparently pawpaws need UV protection to flourish, so they will not bounce back from clearcutting like a lot of trees will. So in most of the mid atlantic range, they are only "recently" making a comeback as most everywhere here (at least where most people live) was clearcut for farmland at some point back in the day. They were only really a thing in the mountains where old growth forests survived.

Also the texture is wildly off putting at first, they really do feel like they are spoiled when at the peak of ripeness.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

OSU_Matthew posted:

It's a relative to the Papaya, and tastes like a cross between a banana and a mango, but with a very creamy, custard-ey texture. Somewhat like eating banana pudding out of a fruit, it's pretty freaking great, especially chilled. It's a tree indigenous to Appalachia, and can grow in a large swath of the rest of the country. However, it only fruits for a few weeks in September, and the fruits don't transport especially well, so it's very difficult to find commercially.

Some places do ship them, but shipping is pretty pricey:

https://integrationacres.com/products/fresh-pawpaw-fruit-p-53.html?osCsid=00ce4a204ca3eee4cee8683e106e5c82

Right now is pretty much the only time of the year you can even get them.

Alternatively, if you live near a state/national Park or Forest around Appalachia or the Midwest, they can be found in abundance at the bottom of hills near streams if the raccoons haven't devoured them first.

Thanks, I ordered some pawpaw.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

SgtScruffy posted:

I just booked some hotels, hostels, and airbnb's in Chile for a wine tasiting and hiking tour my wife and I will be doing. Super stoked!

That's a long tour if you need hotels, hostels and airbnbs.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I bought something I haven't bought since 1995: A copy of Windows.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

prom candy posted:

I bought something I haven't bought since 1995: A copy of Windows.

Same, and a new PC to go with it:

Intel - Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz Quad-Core Processor
CRYORIG - H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler
Asus - MAXIMUS IX HERO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
EVGA - SuperSC 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory
Samsung - 850 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
EVGA - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB SC Black Edition Video Card
Corsair - 300R ATX Mid Tower Case
EVGA - SuperNOVA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

As you can tell I hate money

A MINIATURE LLAMA
Jul 30, 2009

IT'S SO TINY

fyallm posted:

My rental is a Sentra this week... In sport mode it drives like complete poo poo...

Yeah I'm overall not too impressed with "Sport" mode. However I'm using this car in Atlanta traffic so the "Eco" mode has been relatively friendly to my gas mileage.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

big mean giraffe posted:

Same, and a new PC to go with it:

Intel - Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz Quad-Core Processor
CRYORIG - H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler
Asus - MAXIMUS IX HERO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
EVGA - SuperSC 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory
Samsung - 850 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
EVGA - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB SC Black Edition Video Card
Corsair - 300R ATX Mid Tower Case
EVGA - SuperNOVA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

As you can tell I hate money

That's a pretty sweet rig! My goon-friend shipped me a 6600k so I did a motherboard/ram/cooler upgrade to go with it and along with my GTX 970 I can now play PUBG. i5 2500k served me well for 6 years but this is a nice upgrade.

I Am Not Spor
Dec 13, 2006
all the better to glomp you with

Cables

Front Derailleur

Rear derailuer

11-27 cassette

Bar tape

I really need a new bike, but I don't have $x,xxx so new parts will have to do for now.

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

gmq posted:

That's a long tour if you need hotels, hostels and airbnbs.

Hotel in Santiago (thanks to a whole bunch of marriott points from my previous job) and an Airbnb in Valparaiso (because we'll only be there a day) for the regular city/wine tours,, and the rest are for hostels/refugios in one of their national parks while we do the hiking part :woop:

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

prom candy posted:

That's a pretty sweet rig! My goon-friend shipped me a 6600k so I did a motherboard/ram/cooler upgrade to go with it and along with my GTX 970 I can now play PUBG. i5 2500k served me well for 6 years but this is a nice upgrade.

2500k is what I'm moving from. That thing was a beast for it's time.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I just got gas. All I bought was gas. One tank of gas.

The receipt is literally 14.5" long. That's completely unnecessary.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

PCOS Bill posted:

I just got gas. All I bought was gas. One tank of gas.

The receipt is literally 14.5" long. That's completely unnecessary.
CVS sells gas now?

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Josh Lyman posted:

CVS sells gas now?

lol

Sunoco, the CVS of gas stations

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007

"Maybe some dolphins have sex for pleasure."
Did they force you to take a receipt or did you just want one? I don't remember the last time a gas station forced a receipt on me but I've been grateful that when I've had to save receipts they've been pretty short. Now it's the grocery store that's getting out of hand these days.

For slightly-related content, I bought GIANT BRAND ELECTROLYTE ENHANCED WATER WITH ADDED MINERALS. It's pretty solid for playing roller hockey and helping me not die. And I don't generally want a gatorade-like drink because they're all too sugary, even the light ones.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Phthisis posted:

Did they force you to take a receipt or did you just want one? I don't remember the last time a gas station forced a receipt on me but I've been grateful that when I've had to save receipts they've been pretty short. Now it's the grocery store that's getting out of hand these days.

For slightly-related content, I bought GIANT BRAND ELECTROLYTE ENHANCED WATER WITH ADDED MINERALS. It's pretty solid for playing roller hockey and helping me not die. And I don't generally want a gatorade-like drink because they're all too sugary, even the light ones.

I take the receipt and write my tank mileage on it to track it when I get home later. I'm kind of spergy about it and yell at my wife when she doesn't properly fill the tank and mark mileage for me too.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

What do you do with that data?

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Very little. I just like to keep an eye on my fuel economy, see if I'm driving economically or not.

Then again if I'm not on my motorcycle I'm in a Jeep Cherokee (XJ, not the modern one) that gets like 16MPG so there isn't a whole lot of economy to be had.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I keep all my gas receipts just in case some negligent station lets water into their tanks and it subsequently ends up in my car I can have some evidence to slap down blame.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

PCOS Bill posted:

I take the receipt and write my tank mileage on it to track it when I get home later. I'm kind of spergy about it and yell at my wife when she doesn't properly fill the tank and mark mileage for me too.

I do this too, but it's because my work pays for my fuel and a car allowance and they have us write the mileage on the receipts we scan in. It actually ends up making my tax deductions a lot easier more than it's data I track.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

couldcareless posted:

I keep all my gas receipts just in case some negligent station lets water into their tanks and it subsequently ends up in my car I can have some evidence to slap down blame.

That is the dumbest thing I have ever heard.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

PCOS Bill posted:

Then again if I'm not on my motorcycle I'm in a Jeep Cherokee (XJ, not the modern one) that gets like 16MPG so there isn't a whole lot of economy to be had.

Wait, weren't you just ragging on me, not even a page ago, for purchasing a Jeep?

I mean, I get it, they're not especially great vehicles, but drat, that's an astonishing lack of self awareness.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

A dude got put under house arrest in 1790 so he wrote a travel journal about his room.

I bought a copy of the translation (with sequel).

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?

OSU_Matthew posted:

Wait, weren't you just ragging on me, not even a page ago, for purchasing a Jeep?

I mean, I get it, they're not especially great vehicles, but drat, that's an astonishing lack of self awareness.

Older jeeps are cool and good. New jeeps are piles of garbage.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

You know, there are lots of phone apps that can let you see your fuel economy right there. I use Fuelio, which works for me. Averaging 30mpg, mixed highway / city driving, 2012 VW GLI. Not too shabby.

Oh, for thread content, I'm a SAXX boxer brief convert. So. Freaking. Comfortable. And if you buy some of the more garish colors off of Amazon, it's "only" about $20 per pair.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

OSU_Matthew posted:

Responding to a post by known troll PCOS "do as I say, not as I do" Bill.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Just lol if your car doesn't automatically calculate fuel economy for you

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Josh Lyman posted:

Just lol if your car doesn't automatically calculate fuel economy for you

Mine does, but it's either "life of car" economy or "single trip" economy. Occasionally, you might want to know "per tank fill" economy.

EDIT: Also bought the second expansion for Zombie Dice: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00K6N50VK

The game is simple enough that my niece and nephew can understand it, but also enjoyable for adults. When you combine it with the first expansion (https://smile.amazon.com/Zombie-Dice-2-Double-Feature/dp/B007JPS3YY) and the core game, naturally, you've got a fairly fast-paced game that's lots of fun for family get-togethers.

null_pointer has a new favorite as of 15:28 on Sep 21, 2017

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

null_pointer posted:

Mine does, but it's either "life of car" economy or "single trip" economy. Occasionally, you might want to know "per tank fill" economy.
I mean, I manually reset the calculation each time I fill the tank on my Prius and just keep a mental note of the trendline.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
What does the mpg info do for you? Like, if my car gets 8mpg or 80mpg, Im still gonna drive where I want to go.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

To me it indicates if my driving habits are changing, so I can be more mindful of them. It also might indicate a mechanical issue. So, it's less "whoa, my MPG is down -- not goin' to tha strip club, tonight!" and more "hey, maybe I need to ease off the hammer and not use 'Sport' mode as much"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

bongwizzard posted:

What does the mpg info do for you? Like, if my car gets 8mpg or 80mpg, Im still gonna drive where I want to go.

If your mileage drops a bunch from normal, something is wrong with your car and you should get it serviced. Or so my dad told me, I ignored him and don't track my mileage.