Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Qubee
May 31, 2013

I really wish there was some sort of history tome, that you could open up and see your rulers over the years. I have a dictatorship regime and it's really sad that when a leader dies, they're just gone, and there's no way for me to look back on the stuff that happened during their reign. Elections are also very confusing and it's hard to keep track of what's what, which is why in my latest run, I decided to go dictator in the hopes that my kid or someone I pick will rule after me.

The Total War-esque type of family tree would be awesome as a bit of fluff on the side, just to make it that much more enjoyable to read into your empire's history.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Sectors should be functioning like CK2 vassals, imo, as opposed to actual vassals who work like EU4 vassals (hope that makes sense). Part of your empire, but they have their own goals and aims, might band into independence factions, change your civics factions, change your edicts factions etc.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

For me I'd really love to see more species centric politics take form. Playing small should be the default because that's what you can administrate, but going wide and having colonies break off in revolts would have the benefit of easy allies when you come under attack from xenos.

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]
i want to be able to take undesirable pops and launch them at planets as suicide soldiers

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae
Does Stellaris have a death star yet? I haven't played it since the massive disappointment of 1.0 and I must know whether I can blow up a planet before I pick it up again.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Q8ee posted:

I also realised I was getting my rear end kicked in battle because I wasn't diversifying my fleets enough. I had all my ships just using whichever the strongest weapon was, but instead I should have been making missile ships, close quarter ships, corvette's that are jam-packed with high damage, low range weapons, ensure I've got enough spread between armour penetration and shield damage. Battles went like this: I'd either steamroll my opponents, or all my dudes would die so loving quick.

Ehh, for 1.6/1.7 you can just go all in on plasma cruisers with 1 flak cannon per. No need for multiple ship types when one type works so well.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

basic hitler posted:

The main issue is, late game, my games slow down a lot. My cpu is from 2012, the motherboard is a bottleneck more than the CPU, but the fact is my computer is a mix of new and old parts, and the older parts turn a late game of stellaris into a totally miserable experience. I have yet to even experience the end game crises due to the slowdown that's compounded by those huge wind down times on warp.
you could try the ticks_per_turn console command. it makes fleet behavior a little wonky, so maybe reset it to 1 when you're gonna observe a fight, but it is good for end-game lag if you don't mind dealing with a slideshow.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Kitchner posted:

I'd like to see sector government play a bigger role in the internal politics and the idea is that if you have like 5 planets and you have a Governor in charge of your remaining 256 planets, the given or might rightly come to the conclusion that it's actually him in charge and not you and rebel against your rule.

Alternatively having the support of sector governments should make life easier for you in some way.

Finally i think being able to restrict sectors to certain pops would be cool. So you could create space ghettos or reserved areas for certain species. I think this is a cool roleplaying thing but it also means that say you have an industrious species in your empire, you can restrict them to one sector and make that sector focus on minerals. Your thrifty aliens in the energy sector, and so on.
Yeah these are all cool. I like the new faction system, but I also liked how the old factions had the breakaway sectors and such. The new unrest mechanics sound like a good feed into that.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Splicer posted:

Yeah these are all cool. I like the new faction system, but I also liked how the old factions had the breakaway sectors and such. The new unrest mechanics sound like a good feed into that.

I can even seen it working just like the faction system. Like the sector will have certain demands, like lower taxes, being given resources, having planets added or removed, being given the freedom to colonise worlds or redevelop buildings, and you balance all those to keep them happy. Then those standard things get mixed in with Governor qualities, so a military Governor may want to have the option to build military stations for example

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

And most importantly, superweapons so that you can make examples out of unruly colonies.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Once I attack an enemy colony with attack troops, is there any way for me to build defender troops (garrison troops) on that planet, or do I need to leave my attack troops behind as a garrison?

Cause that's what I was doing, basically using my attack troopers as glorified housekeepers once they'd conquered a planet. Then the war ended, and I had about 30 attack troopers with nothing to do...

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
So it turns out some people who pre-ordered Synthetic Dawn are receiving two keys despite only being charged for one. They disabled one of the ones I was sent and told me to use the other as they were both valid, redeemable keys from the looks of it.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Q8ee posted:

Once I attack an enemy colony with attack troops, is there any way for me to build defender troops (garrison troops) on that planet, or do I need to leave my attack troops behind as a garrison?

Cause that's what I was doing, basically using my attack troopers as glorified housekeepers once they'd conquered a planet. Then the war ended, and I had about 30 attack troopers with nothing to do...

Depends on the unrest caused by conquering those planets post-war; in a slaver game I always had super pissed off pops so I still had to keep them around for a few years as an occupation force. After that though you can pretty much get rid of them if you want as it's the general that gains xp and not the individual units IIRC.

BadOptics fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Sep 21, 2017

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Q8ee posted:

I do this but I just keep the assault troops in orbit around my home world, their upkeep isn't much and it means I can blitzkrieg planets in future wars

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Q8ee posted:

I picked a wormhole civ, and I'm regretting it. Enemy fleets just move back and forth and it makes it really difficult to catch them. Is there a way for me to change my space travel type?

Any tips or advice on how to do well with warscore? I was destroying their fleets, but I only had one main fleet, which meant I could only ever focus on one opponent, whilst the other went and whacked up all my mining stations etc etc. I have a feeling this is what kept my warscore at 33% instead of letting it jump higher.

Nope, your travel type can't be changed mid-game. Wormhole empires have a heightened chance to get jump drives, though.

You can't really get your warscore too high with just space battles. You really need to invade and occupy planets in order to push it higher. Unlike other station types, wormhole stations can be built outside your own borders, and you can even build them in enemy space when you're at war, so you're not limited by range like you thought.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I never knew that about wormhole stations. All this time I was unable to conquer the entirety of my enemy because 3 of their planets were just out of reach. So annoying, especially since all my saves have saved over each other so now I can't go back to before I accepted the peace treaty.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Aleth posted:

So it turns out some people who pre-ordered Synthetic Dawn are receiving two keys despite only being charged for one. They disabled one of the ones I was sent and told me to use the other as they were both valid, redeemable keys from the looks of it.

I got two as well, I'm not sure which one I should use.

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug

Aleth posted:

Chiming in on this, I put in a ticket to their support desk and they disabled one of the keys.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
So I started a game as a hive mind with wormholes. Hive mind are poo poo. Wormholes are bad for exploration and bad for fleet mobility in war. Of course I get some random event that gives me a permanent +10% evasion, but I was so disappointed with devouring swarm I just started a new game.

Fanatic purifiers is great, actually useful bonuses! I can pop an ethics shift to invalidate the fanatic purifier civic in order to renew the curator insight research bonus. Ceding planets doesn't seem worth it. I had to declare war on 5 empires at once and crush the fleets of 4 of them. Peaced out after a very long war. During the downtime I cleansed 2 worlds of my early neighbor turned tributary because well - tributary or not - he's a xeno. rear end in a top hat shifted from xenophile / fanatic pacifist to fanatic xenophobe / militarist. I can declare war on the 5-empire defense pact and I think I will, gotta start purging. Is it faster to cleanse worlds via diplomacy or just armageddon bombard them until the pops die??? It's very tempting to just take the planet, but I know I'm giving a long, hard war to get the diplo. cleansing. Shelling <5pop worlds to oblivion doesn't cost any warpoints I assume.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

binge crotching posted:

I got two as well, I'm not sure which one I should use.

It's my birthday on the 7th October. That spare key would make a pretty swell birthday present is all I'm gonna say

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Q8ee posted:

It's my birthday on the 7th October. That spare key would make a pretty swell birthday present is all I'm gonna say

Isn't the second key for paradox's own platform? On my receipt it states that I got a steam key and another one for whatever their "steam" is called.

Edit: I also bought my copy from their store and not steam if that means anything.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
I'm fanatic xenophobe / spiritualist with the fanatic purifiers civic. I have the mind over matter ascendant perk, I assume that means I am set on the psionic path and can freely switch from spiritualist to militarist and still be able to do the psionic ascension?? How do I go about switching from fanatic xenophobe/spiritualist to fanatic xenophobe/militarist?

Ethic shifting to militarist makes me xenophobe / spiritualist / militarist. That's fine and dandy as it invalidates the fanatic purifier civic allowing me to get a curator insight bonus again, but how can I get reach fanatic xenophobe / militarist? If I shift to xenophobe again couldn't it be either militarist or spiritualist? What decides which is my lesser ethic?

kaffo
Jun 20, 2017

If it's broken, it's probably my fault
Am I the only one who likes wormholes and find placing the generators a fun strategic mini game?

Since the interesting thing about stations is they can push and pull ships in their radius, so if you do it right, you can get a really smart network setup around the galaxy

As for chasing fleets, I'll admit it's difficult, but it's just about the only downside, even then you've just gotta play smart and micro your fleet. Sure you won't be able to catch them in transit, but sit on a generator within range of their target, charge the drive as they are warping in and you can drop on their head with no cool down on the other side

also super duper excited for 1.8, this is gonna be dope

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

The button was pushed.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
DOWNLOADING...

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

The most highly anticipated 47mb patch of the season.

e: Whoops I hosed up and forgot to opt out of the Bradbury beta somehow??? Glad I noticed that.

Anticheese fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Sep 21, 2017

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug

BadOptics posted:

Isn't the second key for paradox's own platform? On my receipt it states that I got a steam key and another one for whatever their "steam" is called.

Edit: I also bought my copy from their store and not steam if that means anything.

I did the same but both keys they send you are just for 'Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn' and have instructions about redeeming via Steam.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Anticheese posted:

People have come up against the sector cap? :psyduck:

If you play with few habitable planets and don't have a massive border range bonus, it can be a serious problem. Especially early on when you can only support a couple sectors.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

Besides the Avian robots looking incredible, am I alone in thinking that the default Skynet stand-in contains a nod to Harvey Birdman? :ohdear:

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

BadOptics posted:

Pretty sure their "steam" is just direct download, and there are no keys involved.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Aethernet posted:

Nope.

https://youtu.be/1w7MyDPhuy8

They are genuinely considering it - everyone would start hyperdrive-only, there'd be fixed wormholes and some systems would only be accessible by lategame warp.

That's not really removing wormholes and warp though, and while I didn't link it because it was Reddit, I found an actual source for what I said, too.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Stellaris/comments/5zl8cp/wiz_i_do_think_the_3_ftl_types_were_a_mistake_and/

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Eiba posted:

It's been explained that making new ship assets is like the most work intensive thing for Paradox artists.

Modders get away with slapping a 3d model and calling it a day, but Paradox ones need to be modular with all the parts and a bunch of mounts and stuff. Even things like the fallen empire ship models aren't up to snuff to the point where Paradox would release them as things the players could use.

Personally, that being the case, I wish they hadn't bothered with all that modular/mounts crap, 'cause i just want neat different looking ships and don't care about swapping out a tapering vs a blunt prow or whatever.

I absolutely agree. I would happily lose the modular differences and all the mounts in exchange for new models.

Alasyre
Apr 6, 2009
I'm missing something, namely the DLC I just bought. I bought it through Paradox, but didn't get a Steam key. My Steam and Paradox accounts are linked, but Steam doesn't think I own Synthetic Dawn, and Paradox shows it under games, but there's no Steam key. This is the first time I've bought a game through Paradox, so I'm a bit confused.

Edit: Nevermind. The Steam key just popped up.

Alasyre fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Sep 21, 2017

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

Couple of wonky things:

1) Options for non-robot portraits show up when you're making a robot civ, although selecting them reds out all your other options until you make a robot.

2) Non-localised modifiers show up in places - robot leaders benefit from a polytechnic education instead of iterative AI, and the bonuses are different as well.

3) The leaders hotkey, formerly F7, is now unbound and appears to do nothing.

4) Governor skills under the new system do not appear to affect tile blocker cost until they reach old thresholds. My core sector governor with the Bulldozer trait required 100 energy/minerals to clear blockers, until it reached level 5, at which point the cost became 75. I don't recall the unmodified cost.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
I need minerals more minerals gimme all the fukken minerals

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.

Anticheese posted:

Couple of wonky things:

1) Options for non-robot portraits show up when you're making a robot civ, although selecting them reds out all your other options until you make a robot.

2) Non-localised modifiers show up in places - robot leaders benefit from a polytechnic education instead of iterative AI, and the bonuses are different as well.

4) Governor skills under the new system do not appear to affect tile blocker cost until they reach old thresholds. My core sector governor with the Bulldozer trait required 100 energy/minerals to clear blockers, until it reached level 5, at which point the cost became 75. I don't recall the unmodified cost.

F7 was rebound to Factions a patch or so ago. The rest is being investigated by QA!

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

LordMune posted:

F7 was rebound to Factions a patch or so ago. The rest is being investigated by QA!

It's been essentially unbound on hive minds. Speaking of bindings, how much work would it be for you guys to allow custom keybinds?

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Anticheese posted:

Couple of wonky things:

1 is not a bug, we try not to outright hide options in the empire selector.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

500 minerals for a colony ship :aaa: Is that just machine races or across the board?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

Fair enough about #1, and I had forgotten about factions playing as a machine empire. :shobon:

• Locked thread