Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Bogart posted:

I'm sorry. Scorpions, as in, the bug? She grinds up bugs in her hot sauce?

Scorpion peppers.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trinidad_Scorpion_Butch_T_pepper

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Bogart posted:

I'm sorry. Scorpions, as in, the bug? She grinds up bugs in her hot sauce?

Yes. All this time, we've been eating bug sauce.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

She's making the batch. This is a sauce that isn't meant for normal use; it's just a test of strength thing for us idiots in the lab. No one has passed so far. I fully expect pain both the day of and the day after.

That being said, I hear her normal uses sauces are also definitely up there in heat. The images I've had described to me are Matrix arsenal levels numbers of jars and ingredients in the pantry.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Missing Name posted:

She's making the batch. This is a sauce that isn't meant for normal use; it's just a test of strength thing for us idiots in the lab. No one has passed so far. I fully expect pain both the day of and the day after.

That being said, I hear her normal uses sauces are also definitely up there in heat. The images I've had described to me are Matrix arsenal levels numbers of jars and ingredients in the pantry.

It's been nice knowing you :patriot:

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
Hell yeah boys, got 2 of these ordered before they instantly sold out

https://heatonist.com/hot-ones-the-last-dab/

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I'm not as hardcore as most of you but I bought a bottle of Tropical Pepper Co Ghost Pepper sauce and it is cooking my rear end in a good way. I put about a tablespoon on my hamburger and that was probably too much, had to wash it down with a glass of milk and my forehead was beading up but it was fun and exciting. Spicy but with a nice fruity peppery flavor.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

That stuff is the poo poo but I cannot find it anymore. Local chain that carried it stopped and the chain 2 hrs away that always had it closed down :(

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
For spicy mustard aficionados-- Woeber or Beaver? They make all the same times of specialty mustard. Anyone ever compare the two?

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

Megasabin posted:

For spicy mustard aficionados-- Woeber or Beaver? They make all the same times of specialty mustard. Anyone ever compare the two?

Do you get Vilux where you live? I picked up a bottle of Vilux Hot English Mustard the other day and it's absolutely incredible. Way hotter than I thought it was going to be, and really nice flavor.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Snorri posted:

Fuego Box

Well I didn't know this existed and now that I do I wish I had $30 to try it.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Suspect Bucket posted:

Yes. All this time, we've been eating bug sauce.

I wonder if some tough bastard back in the day chugged his half-liter of habanaro death drink, survived, and his captors were like... "Welp, guess we have to let him go."

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now

Jmcrofts posted:

Hell yeah boys, got 2 of these ordered before they instantly sold out

https://heatonist.com/hot-ones-the-last-dab/

How is it?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Megasabin posted:

Woeber's Hot Mister Mustard is my absolute favorite mustard of all time. I can put that stuff on anything. Seriously, give it a try. Small round jar with a red cap. It's the best.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Shipment gets in today :pray:

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

The Midniter posted:

Woeber's Hot Mister Mustard is my absolute favorite mustard of all time. I can put that stuff on anything. Seriously, give it a try. Small round jar with a red cap. It's the best.

I agree, great stuff!

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I guess the sauce killed Jmcrofts. Would love to hear how it is!

Folks, what are some good foods to put hot sauce on for people who don't eat meat? I know about eggs, and burritos of course, but I feel like there's gotta be something to get the same je ne sais quoi as a hot-sauce-laden wing.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

COOL CORN posted:

Folks, what are some good foods to put hot sauce on for people who don't eat meat? I know about eggs, and burritos of course, but I feel like there's gotta be something to get the same je ne sais quoi as a hot-sauce-laden wing.

I love hot sauces with tomato-cucumber salads, or just salads generally. And tossed over stirfrys or roasted vegetables.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

COOL CORN posted:

there's gotta be something to get the same je ne sais quoi as a hot-sauce-laden wing.
Nope. You can simulate a burger but there is no substitute for a hot wing.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

wormil posted:

Nope. You can simulate a burger but there is no substitute for a hot wing.

I dunno, fried squash and zucchini spears are pretty rad covered in buttery spicy buffalo sauce. Just make sure to eat with your fingers and get hot sauce into any small cuts you make have on your hands.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

COOL CORN posted:

Sorry guys, it didn't kill me I just forgot to post.

It's fantastic, I would highly recommend it to anyone that likes really hot sauce. It's very hot and very delicious, the ginger and yellow mustard flavors make it a perfect accompaniment to chicken in particular.

THAT BEING SAID, they recently revealed that a lab they sent it to rated it at 2.4 million scovilles which is honestly a joke. That is hotter than a carolina reaper pepper, there's no way this sauce is anywhere near that in reality. I've had 200k scoville hot sauces that tasted much hotter than The Last Dab.

So I still think it's a great sauce but if you go in expecting it to be the hottest sauce you've ever tasted and blow your face off you may be disappointed.

Jmcrofts fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Sep 25, 2017

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
It's kinda funny, in this season of Hot Ones, everyone seems to freak out when they get to Mega Death Sauce, but then after that when they do The Last Dab they're just like "yeah ok this is hot I guess" I expected it to be more ridiculous than that.

Anyone here make their own hot sauce? I might look into that weird world.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004

COOL CORN posted:

Cut cauliflower florets deep fried until crispy are great; there are a bunch of Indian/Chinese recipes for them with varying sauces but I don't see why you couldn't do a butter-and-Frank's (or your preferred hotter sauce) wing-style preparation.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer

COOL CORN posted:

It's kinda funny, in this season of Hot Ones, everyone seems to freak out when they get to Mega Death Sauce, but then after that when they do The Last Dab they're just like "yeah ok this is hot I guess" I expected it to be more ridiculous than that.

Anyone here make their own hot sauce? I might look into that weird world.

My friend, I have made so many hot sauces. So so many. I can even send you some if you want. I make a strawberry hab one that disappeared so quickly I had to make another batch just for myself. My blueberry hot sauce flew off the shelves equally as fast. Peach and pear were amazing. I have made traditional hot sauces , but I am having fun getting weird with hot sauces at the moment.

My ghost pepper and trinidad scorpion plants went nuts this year, I have 40 giant peppers from each to play around with. I still have my carolina reapers last year as well.

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010
First time growing some really strong peppers (7-Pot Browns). Any tips on encouraging your peppers to ripen? They are all staying green and I’m worried the cooling temps and shortening sun are going to win the race.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer

Pioneer42 posted:

First time growing some really strong peppers (7-Pot Browns). Any tips on encouraging your peppers to ripen? They are all staying green and I’m worried the cooling temps and shortening sun are going to win the race.

I just asked this in the gardening thread as well. As long as there is no frost leave them on the plants as long as possible. If you get a frost alert pick them and put them in a brown paper bag with a banana and a tomato.

Shame Boner posted:

Yes, you can ripen them off the plant, but in my experience you sacrifice depth of flavor this way. As long as isn't frosting during these cold nights, I'd personally leave them on the plant (it's also the best way to keep them fresh!). I leave all my unused peppers on the plant until we get a [likely] frost alert, then I'll pick them and any green peppers get the paper bag and tomato/banana treatment.

What zone/state/country are you in?

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010
OK, USA. I have a lot of time invested in these plants, but it sounds like I shouldn’t be too worried as frost is still a ways off. Thanks for the reassurance. My tabascos had been very prolific and turning red on their own all summer, but then suddenly stopped and have been setting green for a long while, too. The shift in sun inclination into Fall has started to partially shade them and I am wondering if that is the culprit.

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now

Jmcrofts posted:

Sorry guys, it didn't kill me I just forgot to post.

It's fantastic, I would highly recommend it to anyone that likes really hot sauce. It's very hot and very delicious, the ginger and yellow mustard flavors make it a perfect accompaniment to chicken in particular.

THAT BEING SAID, they recently revealed that a lab they sent it to rated it at 2.4 million scovilles which is honestly a joke. That is hotter than a carolina reaper pepper, there's no way this sauce is anywhere near that in reality. I've had 200k scoville hot sauces that tasted much hotter than The Last Dab.

So I still think it's a great sauce but if you go in expecting it to be the hottest sauce you've ever tasted and blow your face off you may be disappointed.

Good good. I ended up ordering two bottles, one for myself and one for a gift. I made a decent buffalo honey mustard wing sauce on the weekend but only had some Blair's Mega Death on hand to use, and Last Dab sounds ideal for it.

Disco Godfather
May 31, 2011

lol @ the gbs hot sauce thread

Everyone arguing about the best flavor of Tabasco

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Best flavor of Tabasco is habanero.

But I only really put it on Taco Bell so take it as you will.

In reality, I have that, a bottle of Dave's garlic pepper, and a bottle of ghost pepper sauce for "Firebombing" whatever sauce (or mac and cheese) I'm using that's not naturally spicy.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Speaking of grocery store hot sauces, I just picked up some El Yuc Black Label and its really good.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Pioneer42 posted:

OK, USA. I have a lot of time invested in these plants, but it sounds like I shouldn’t be too worried as frost is still a ways off. Thanks for the reassurance. My tabascos had been very prolific and turning red on their own all summer, but then suddenly stopped and have been setting green for a long while, too. The shift in sun inclination into Fall has started to partially shade them and I am wondering if that is the culprit.

The USA has 26 different planting zones. You're going to have to be a lot more specific.

http://planthardiness.ars.usda.gov/PHZMWeb/

Pick the zone you live in and let us know, that'll give us a better idea of what advice to give. Also check out the gardening thread.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Suspect Bucket posted:

The USA has 26 different planting zones. You're going to have to be a lot more specific.

Are you familiar with the state of Oklahoma and its postal abbreviation OK?

The zones are 6a, 6b, or 7a depending on location but those are likely to heavily overlap specific plants.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
Oklahomo

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010
Looks like 7a fits about right.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

iospace posted:

Best flavor of Tabasco is habanero.

But I only really put it on Taco Bell so take it as you will.

In reality, I have that, a bottle of Dave's garlic pepper, and a bottle of ghost pepper sauce for "Firebombing" whatever sauce (or mac and cheese) I'm using that's not naturally spicy.

The best flavor of Tabasco is definitely chipotle. It's one of the best chipotle sauces out there I feel.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Pioneer42 posted:

Looks like 7a fits about right.

Good zone, not too cold too soon. Are these peppers potted? What daily and over night temps are you seeing right now? Have you taste-tested the peppers? Does it still have flowers?

If it is a potted plant (or you can put it in one), I'd advise moving the plant inside once daily max temps drop below 60ish, near a sunny south window, or at least a east facing one, with decent air flow and a temperature between 70-80. Can we get a picture of the plant and it's leaves and fruit?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Starting to get back into fermented pepper mash/hot sauce making after ignoring it for a few months. I have some red long hot peppers that have been fermenting for a week now and am about to start a mixed ferment of red jalapeños with some habaneros thrown in for taste. Also got a couple pounds of green jalapeños for cheap and am going to try roasting some and doing a mash from those.

Any idea what I can do with several Mason jars worth of fermented peppers in a little bit of brine? I'm not sure that I through hot sauce quickly enough to use all of that mash for sauce. I'll mix a little bit of it into my cooking every so often but other more creative uses are appreciated.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

I did the hot sauce thing. I don't have a video of the original tasting but I have a jar so whatevs

Less of a sauce, more a chutney. This batch didn't get ground to a paste. I could see no fewer than 4 garlic cloves mashed on the side of the jar.

It is indeed painful to eat a spoonful of. Hell, it was still fiery on a mound of pulled pork. However, it's deliciously tangy and garlicky and peppery so gently caress my entrails, I'm using it to make a big pot of fried rice tonight.

As a bonus I got some cilantro chutney of some sort. Not as spicy, but delicious salty and earthy on my omlette this morning

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

angor posted:

The best flavor of Tabasco is definitely chipotle. It's one of the best chipotle sauces out there I feel.

I agree, but I do really like the habanero one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
Chipotle Tabasco is alright, but I'll take chipotle Cholula over it any day. That's my most-used sauce. Not very hot at all, but the flavor is amazing.