Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

I think there's a good case to be made for having monster attacks just do flat damage (maybe even player attacks - rolling to hit already adds plenty of variance). it would cut down on the number of dice rolls a lot!
13th Age's monster design is so good. Everything does flat damage, and any special riders on attacks were based off the initial d20 roll in various ways. So you'd have stuff like "Poisoned blade: +7 vs AC, if attack also beats PD then the target takes 5 ongoing poison damage" or "Heavy Blow: +x vs AC, on a natural even hit the target is dazed". Nice and simple, makes combat zip right along.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Ominous Jazz posted:

Alignment continues to be dumb

I have played D&D since I was ten and I still don't know what the gently caress Chaotic Good actually entails

also how is a Lawful Evil character good for Ravenloft isn't corruption of good characters like a key part of that setting

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

some FUCKING LIAR
Sep 19, 2002

Fallen Rib

Blockhouse posted:

I have played D&D since I was ten and I still don't know what the gently caress Chaotic Good actually entails

also how is a Lawful Evil character good for Ravenloft isn't corruption of good characters like a key part of that setting

Ironically the one use of the D&D Alignment Chart meme that is explicitly about D&D displays the least awareness of D&D.

"Chaotic good" I think is supposed to mean "doesn't mind breaking the law to aid the downtrodden." In practice it means "a good guy and the player supports marijuana legalization."

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
superimpose the alignment chart onto the political axis chart and it'll all make sense

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I've always used the shorthand that Chaotic Good is someone like Jack Sparrow, who works outside the law but for the greater good.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

"Chaotic Good" is basically the alignment that supports pretty much anything you do that isn't overtly evil.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

superimpose the alignment chart onto the political axis chart and it'll all make sense

that would make chaotic good... authoritharian right?!

Serf
May 5, 2011

Alignment wouldn't be so bad if it weren't so broadly applied. Like when the Monster Manual is writing off entire species as "Always Chaotic Evil", you hosed up.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
But isn't all that stuff basically Neutral Good too?

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

chaotic generally maps into being actively anti-authoritarian, which works great until you think about all the Chaotic Evil races that regularly practice inherently authoritarian acts like slavery

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Splicer posted:

As usual, 4e supremacy where a basic crit just maximises your damage. WFRP3 will always be my gold standard for hits 'n crits though.

Well, maximized damage is another mitigating fix rather than a hard fix. It's not quite as problematic, but it still presents smaller issues.

ProfessorCirno posted:

I know I bring up this game nonstop already, but Fragged Empire's crit system is kinda weird, where essentially you can't be taken out unless you're crit.

Well, what crits represent is also much different in Fragged Empire, and also occur far more often - about half the time on a successful hit, unless the target is well-armored. Crits have interesting effects because of how attributes work and feel more like some crippling or weakening injury. While there is a bit of a death spiral, the fact that they impact your ability to act is softened by the fact that you can take different actions keyed off of different skills or attributes. In any case, it's all absolutely intended by the designer and more interesting than sudden death.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Another way to look at it would be how games like WoW and Diablo 3 really let you go nuts with the crits - there are stats to increase critical hit chance, and stats to increase critical hit multipliers, and they're one of the cornerstones to maximizing damage.

But that requires a large "cushion" of HP, which is generally more than what trad games are willing to go into because of all the arithmetic and administrative overhead.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

gradenko_2000 posted:

So paladins are tankies?

Serf
May 5, 2011

Jimbozig posted:

So paladins are tankies?

That would actually make a lot of sense.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Jimbozig posted:

So paladins are tankies?

yes, in every sense of the word

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Honestly the only D&D alignment I like is the original Law vs. Chaos where they don't map to any individual morality and are mostly just different color jerseys.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

whydirt posted:

Honestly the only D&D alignment I like is the original Law vs. Chaos where they don't map to any individual morality and are mostly just different color jerseys.

Someone needs to make a heartbreaker where alignment is which bloodbowl team you support.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Law vs. Chaos is Clean-Cut And By-The-Book vs. A Maverick Who Plays By Their Own Rules.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
The Murtaugh vs Riggs axis.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The only alignment that matters is the sub vs dub axis.

E: The other axis is legal vs piracy.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Sep 21, 2017

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The "Thieves' Guild? More like Thieves' Union" idea I have in my head is now further fleshed out: it will use the Fish-hook Theory axis.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

whydirt posted:

I liked it when alignment was just nine languages D&D people spoke and they didn't know why they spoke them, and they couldn't teach the languages to people that spoke one of the other languages, and it was rude to speak the languages in public.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

LongDarkNight posted:

The Murtaugh vs Riggs axis.

My alignment is Neutral Riggs! Cop Killers!

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Two comments:

1. Where's BBG?

2. Missed opportunity to use your av as the background with some transparency so it isn't completely obvious.

whydirt posted:

Make it like the Shin Megami Tensei alignment system: Law supports God and his angels, but also absolute order with the complete absence of freedom. Chaos supports Satan and his devils/fallen angels, but with its absolute freedom it also promotes a dog-eat-dog world of Might Makes Right.

Have Neutral in the middle whose only objective is to gently caress over whichever side is in the lead at the moment. They follow no God or demons, but are actually more of an unconscious expression of humanity to counterbalance the dominant force and as such can't really be put down through doing things like killing God/Satan (otherwise, the clear imperative would be for Law/Chaos to team up and massacre Neutral, and then fight it out between themselves).

If you really want to give them a God/leader - make it King Arthur.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I think my favourite "Neutral" in RPGs is the Balance in the Elric RPGs. Where gaining Balance requires you to do things that aren't about gaining power to establish a system or destroy it.

But yes, the best alignment in D&D is Law/Chaos where it's just about which monsters will or won't attack you, plus some cool baroque oddities that come out of that like the Avenger class.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

Ratoslov posted:

Law vs. Chaos is Clean-Cut And By-The-Book vs. A Maverick Who Plays By Their Own Rules.

my alignment is "guy that's 2 weeks away from retirement"

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
New Guy/Vet close to retirement is the other axis of the Maverick/By the Book alignment grid.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

LuiCypher posted:

Have Neutral in the middle whose only objective is to gently caress over whichever side is in the lead at the moment. They follow no God or demons, but are actually more of an unconscious expression of humanity to counterbalance the dominant force and as such can't really be put down through doing things like killing God/Satan (otherwise, the clear imperative would be for Law/Chaos to team up and massacre Neutral, and then fight it out between themselves).

If you really want to give them a God/leader - make it King Arthur.

this creates the true neutral "problem" where a dude switches sides mid fight cause the other side is losing

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Recent posts just make me wonder why we have potential instant death crits on PCs at all,

DnD's gotten increasingly better at death rules, but even 4e and 5e still have a damage threshold you can take that instakills you. In 5e it's if you hit 0 and if the remaining damage exceeds your max hp. That's by far the most generous one the game's had so far (even 4e made it your bloodied value, which is to say half your max hp), but you're right that it probably shouldn't be possible at all. Coup de Grace at least requires some DM intent.

Blockhouse posted:

Antifa.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

LuiCypher posted:

Two comments:

1. Where's BBG?

2. Missed opportunity to use your av as the background with some transparency so it isn't completely obvious.

It was for people on a pyf forum posts thread and the guy who made it put himself as CN which made everyone made fun of his rear end forever

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Elfgames posted:

this creates the true neutral "problem" where a dude switches sides mid fight cause the other side is losing

This is meant to be more of a macro-scale thing (especially since Law and Chaos in my example are portrayed as two diametrically opposing points locked into a struggle), rather than a psychotic mid-process switch. The outcome is generally meant to restore the balance, which also means once the fight's over you're not immediately turning on the other side, unless the outcomes make it so that one side is much more powerful on the broad scale (think end of Act 1 in Shin MegaTen 1 where you kill Gotou (Chaos) first, but then afterwards you go to kill Thorman (Law) to stay on the path of Neutrality and maintain balance).

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Plutonis posted:

It was for people on a pyf forum posts thread and the guy who made it put himself as CN which made everyone made fun of his rear end forever

I can see why #2 is a bad idea then.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Recent posts just make me wonder why we have potential instant death crits on PCs at all...

Most systems that have them don't have a way to mitigate them, or give express directions on how the GM should use criticals against players.

The 40K RPGs are by no means the best RPGs written, but they do state that only major enemies/villains should have the ability to crit PCs, and even then Fate Points serve as 'ablative armor' against instant-kill crits. Further systems (Black Crusade onwards) removed the ability for crits to outright kill anything in one hit - instead they go straight to the first five entries on the criticals chart for the hit location if they manage to deal damage after reductions for Toughness/Armor. Finally, the rulebook justifies that only major enemies should be able to crit rather than all enemies because enemies will always roll more dice than players - a critical hit system is inherently anti-PC because they'll get more chances to crit and consequently more crits overall.

Of course, the major problem with just about all of the 40K RPGs is that they were written with WHFRPG 2e as a base, which means the power levels of weapons/items inevitably increased without the underlying system really adapting for it.

In other words, it's a game of rocket tag where it doesn't matter if a hit crits or not when it can just kill you outright based on raw damage, even after accounting for Toughness/Armor. Even though they have all these cool rules for how to adjudicate the use of crits, in the end it winds up not mattering unless players are really big on using cover (they should).

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Blockhouse posted:

Robin Hood.

Like, alignment is stupid but that one's not hard.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Robin Hood.

Like, alignment is stupid but that one's not hard.

Except it isn't, not quite. Robin Hood is a criminal himself, true, but he does not seek to spread criminality or undermine the rule of law. He might ace the Sheriff of Nottingham given the chance, but he isn't going to hand the poor of Sherwood all bows and declare a Purge. So he isn't _advocating_ Chaos and arguably that means he's Neutral Good.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

hyphz posted:

Except it isn't, not quite. Robin Hood is a criminal himself, true, but he does not seek to spread criminality or undermine the rule of law. He might ace the Sheriff of Nottingham given the chance, but he isn't going to hand the poor of Sherwood all bows and declare a Purge. So he isn't _advocating_ Chaos and arguably that means he's Neutral Good.

The hell are you talking about.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Robin Hood is literally the justification in AD&D 1E for allowing thieves to be Neutral Good.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Lurdiak posted:

But wait, Robin Hood is also known for his honor and chivalry, so he's clearly Lawful Good.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

Lurdiak posted:

Being chaotic, by the old definitions in the book, means you don't believe in _laws_. Not the particular current law, but laws as a whole.

Robin Hood breaks the law because he feels it's unjust, but it's not clear he feels laws _as a whole_ are unjust. He would not, for example, encourage peasants to steal from each other.

The problem with making him CG is that if he were crowned King, so he could make the laws, he would make things fairer for the poor.. so would he suddenly become LG? Seems a bit weak. No, if a CG was crowned king they would cry "do as you will!" while genuinely believing this was a good thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED
Ceterum censeo Alignment Debates delenda est

• Locked thread