Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Well I didn't care and also nobody's talked about the players involved, I suppose because they're an afterthought

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.

Dejan Bimble posted:

Markieff Morris got a sports hernia carting the huge wheelbarrow full of gold coins he and his brother are paying the two guys that are taking the fall for beating that guy

How many years do those guys stand to serve you think? What would be your rate in such a situation? 150k/year? 200k? I feel like I could do like 3 years/450k

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Million per year. Up to 5 years

Anything past 5 years and we talking 8 figures

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

zelah posted:

How many years do those guys stand to serve you think? What would be your rate in such a situation? 150k/year? 200k? I feel like I could do like 3 years/450k

I think it depends on your career field. If it's going to damage your future employment prospects you have to consider that. If you can create a corporations and work as a contractor then it's not as bad. But if you're going to lose say 30% of future earnings, you need to make up for that.

So assuming I'm me, I'll go with Dexo and say 1m/yr. But for the average person whose lifetime earnings are worth 2m, your rates are more than fair, plus the innocence tax, I would agree to them if I was a Morris who was paying out.

de curry GOAT
Oct 23, 2005

well good, this

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Dejan Bimble posted:

I think it depends on your career field. If it's going to damage your future employment prospects you have to consider that. If you can create a corporations and work as a contractor then it's not as bad. But if you're going to lose say 30% of future earnings, you need to make up for that.

So assuming I'm me, I'll go with Dexo and say 1m/yr. But for the average person whose lifetime earnings are worth 2m, your rates are more than fair, plus the innocence tax, I would agree to them if I was a Morris who was paying out.

Gonna have to pay me more than $17.10 an hour to cover for you in jail man. Of course the Morris's would agree to that cheap rear end price.

That opportunity cost lost, if I do a bid for someone I'm getting set for life when I'm out.

Quizzlefish
Jan 26, 2005

Am I not merciful?

AggressivelyStupid posted:

Phone posting but it looks like he doesn't touch the rim, ergo not a dunk

I thought a dunk was when you were throwing the ball downwards from above the rim? I.e. no touching needed.

Hence all those Blake Griffin dunks where he doesn't touch it.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I miss Blake Griffin from when he didn't care about his knees and hated rims..

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

Quizzlefish posted:

I thought a dunk was when you were throwing the ball downwards from above the rim? I.e. no touching needed.

Hence all those Blake Griffin dunks where he doesn't touch it.

It is. Otherwise Dwight's Superman dunk during the slam dunk contest should have been disqualified.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Go Pistons

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

:hfive:

Maybe SVG & Pals can use various dark majicks to trick someone into taking Reggie off our hands at some point during the season.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Spacebump posted:

I miss Blake Griffin from when he didn't care about his knees and hated rims..

Russ would never forgive what the rims did to him and the people he cares about.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/910860957575819266

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Lots of QOs this year god drat.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
https://twitter.com/bleacherreport/status/910869541135245313

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

What's an egg avatar

Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

No, you're dark-side intergalactic encyclopedia salesmen. Unfortunately, the home office hasn't been quite upfront with you.

Zogo posted:

Kyrie is in shock now that he realizes he had the opportunity to continue playing with possibly the GOAT and walked away.

If you are very much woke, there is no shook

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Chairchucker posted:

What's an egg avatar

The default twitter avatar if you don't upload a picture. Commonly used by idiots who make accounts just to argue with people.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's bird-related you see. But the egg avatars are gone so Stephen Jackson needs to check his facts.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

RCarr posted:

Russ would never forgive what the rims did to him and the people he cares about.

OKC have programmed a hologram of KD's bald spot dome floating in the home side rim.

This.....changes everything!

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

I might be the only person who thinks this way but I find Stephen Jackson annoying, can you believe it. Uncle Rico type

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Derrick Rose Is Back

quote:

Dave McMenamin: "I've heard that for the first couple of days, Derrick Rose has been 'killing it' (at the Cavs' pre-training camp workouts at UC-Santa Barbara). I've also heard that LeBron is invested in Derrick Rose's career so that he can get that next contract."

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

the concept of Kevin Durant being a Twitter egg is hilarious to me

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Cool Buff Man posted:

I might be the only person who thinks this way but I find Stephen Jackson annoying, can you believe it. Uncle Rico type

You're not the only person.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Cool Buff Man posted:

Uncle Rico owns

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Tio Rico, the rich duck?

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

WhyteRyce posted:

Derrick Rose Is Back

1) Why the hell are the Cavs at UCSB
2) Are they gonna get the real authentic original Freebirds burrito

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Spoeank posted:

1) Why the hell are the Cavs at UCSB
2) Are they gonna get the real authentic original Freebirds burrito

Every NBA player who's American is in SoCal June-September.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Shams

https://twitter.com/shamscharania/status/910900691404754945

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
What is the upside for Minnesota there

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006

MalarkeyToboggan posted:

It is. Otherwise Dwight's Superman dunk during the slam dunk contest should have been disqualified.

And otherwise that thing that short people and Lisa Leslie do where they do a layup and then grab the rim would count as dunks, which they aren't.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

xbilkis posted:

What is the upside for Minnesota there

5 years is better than 3+1 I guess .

It might be a 4+1 tho.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
So the realistic worst case scenario without an extension is that he:

-signs a max deal as an RFA with a player option after the third year
-is good enough that the Timberwolves want to retain him at market value when that contract is up
-but he leaves for another team anyway, despite the Timberwolves being able to offer him the most money

The downside to signing him right now is that Andrew Wiggins still might not be very good and you are guaranteeing him 30 million a year for five years

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

xbilkis posted:

So the realistic worst case scenario without an extension is that he:

-signs a max deal as an RFA with a player option after the third year
-is good enough that the Timberwolves want to retain him at market value when that contract is up
-but he leaves for another team anyway, despite the Timberwolves being able to offer him the most money

The downside to signing him right now is that Andrew Wiggins still might not be very good and you are guaranteeing him 30 million a year for five years

Edit: never mind, I agree with you.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Worst case scenario is Otto Porter's deal.

Edit

There should be enough teams with space next year to offer Wiggins a totally heinous Porter-esque offer sheet

Edit edit

Minnesota could prevent the truly heinous 2+1 deal by offering Wiggins a mAx qualifying offer next summer (if they don't sign him ) which I believe forces rfa sheets to be at least 3+1.

euphronius fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Sep 21, 2017

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

please stop :smith:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Real question, do people actually change their value just because the cap is higher? If the cap was the same 5 years ago, would people here still freak out as much about Wiggins getting 16 million annual (the max back then)?

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Tae posted:

Real question, do people actually change their value just because the cap is higher? If the cap was the same 5 years ago, would people here still freak out as much about Wiggins getting 16 million annual (the max back then)?

While sticker shock is definitely at play here somewhat, I think the bigger issue is that most people dont see him as a max player.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Tae posted:

I think they still would to an extent, since most of the max contracts for vets were still near that range, weren't they?

I think it's mostly that a lot of people don't think he's worth the max.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Paul Zuvella posted:

While sticker shock is definitely at play here somewhat, I think the bigger issue is that most people dont see him as a max player.

Not only a max but a designated rookie max.

I guess Kat will be their other one .

• Locked thread