Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best In The South
This poll is closed.
Atlanta Falcons 33 16.92%
Carolina Panthers 42 21.54%
New Orleans Saints 42 21.54%
Tampa Bay Buccaneers 17 8.72%
You All Suck 61 31.28%
Total: 195 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

the only fanbase in the universe to get incredibly angry at being told their quarterback is, in fact, Good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

FizFashizzle posted:

Julio is one of the 10 or so best player in the league regardless of position.

Which is precisely why I'm fine with Dimitroff giving those picks away in hindsight. Double hindsight, if he hadn't traded them for Julio, he'd have drafted busts with them anyway. :colbert:

FizFashizzle posted:

That said, that trade, plus the disaster in 2012, had repercussions for the Falcons and contributed to the dark dark times. Remember them not trading Tony Gonzalez because they didn't have enough lineman who could block? Or them sending poor steven jackson into the hole to die for 2 yards a carry to keep matt ryan alive 30 times a game? Getting one player in two drafts will do that.

The two things can both be true.

"The Disaster in 2012" being our banged up veteran heavy defense finally broke down in the post-season? I think you can argue that 2013/14 were due to having fewer younger guys, but 2011/2012, those 3rd/4th's might have all still be special teams contributors. It's wicked cool and fun to look at who was available in retrospect, but we're talking about diamond in the rough for 1st/2nd year talent from the 3rd round and beyond. The 1st he gave up in 2012 might have contributed, but probably not better than Julio.

Roddy had already begun his decline at this point. Tony got hosed over because the birds hadn't yet been mathematically eliminated by the trade deadline, but... the team had kind of already done Tony enough loving favors. I wish they'd have traded him, but doing so would have signaled the team was giving up. Steven Jackson's decline was already written on the wall. He joined the team just as our offensive line fell apart, which severely limited his production... I wish we'd done his deal in 2012 before he got too old and we still have the ability to block runs. This was also about the time that our best linebacker (Weatherspoon) started his ligament injury tour. Weatherspoon was an injury bust. He had all the talent and on-field production you'd expect for his draft position.

All that fuckin' said... we drafted the right position players to fill these rolls in 2011/12/13, but the players busted, because dimitroff sucks. It was about this time we realized all of his depth guys were busts too. We'd been coasting on players drafted before Dimitroff or signed in free agency/traded for that didn't bust like Gonz and Turner.

Almost no one on the team but the 1st round picks is left from Dimitroff draft era.

in summation, the Julio trade was worth it, because it was a grand slam pick and dimitroff would have stranded all those men on 3rd if he hadn't given them to Cleveland... who wound up doing just that with them anyway. THEY WERE CURSED PICKS, FIZ.

Chilichimp fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Sep 21, 2017

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

im just saying julio being worth it and the results being bad in the short term are not mutually exclusive

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

FizFashizzle posted:

im just saying julio being worth it and the results being bad in the short term are not mutually exclusive

I see where you're coming from, but I'm not convinced the team would have been better if Dimitroff had 4 more picks to gently caress up.

You can't have the negative opinion of Dimitroff's drafting that we do and also think "if he just hadn't traded those 4 picks to Cleveland for Julio, the team wouldn't have descended into poo poo in 2013". No, arguably the only effect would have been us not making it to the post season without Julios production. drat near every Atlanta W in 2012 was a "you paid for the full seat, but you'll ONLY NEED THE EDGE" shitshow.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Chilichimp posted:

You can't have the negative opinion of Dimitroff's drafting that we do and also think "if he just hadn't traded those 4 picks to Cleveland for Julio, the team wouldn't have descended into poo poo in 2013".

eh, at some point you just need bodies. even if they were just average players, the 2 1st and a 3rd (iirc) would feasibly have contributed to a team. it also doesn't help that the second best player from those two drafts was a punter, depending on how you feel about jacquizz

i mean obviously no one is bitching about that trade now, but we're a better football forum than most. we should remember history and put things in context.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

FizFashizzle posted:

eh, at some point you just need bodies. even if they were just average players, the 2 1st and a 3rd (iirc) would feasibly have contributed to a team. it also doesn't help that the second best player from those two drafts was a punter, depending on how you feel about jacquizz

i mean obviously no one is bitching about that trade now, but we're a better football forum than most. we should remember history and put things in context.

For a swap of 2011 firsts, dimitoff sent a 2011 2nd, 3rd, and a 2012 first and fourth, or something similar.

Quizz owns, but i'm obviously not missing him. Also Matt Boscher loving owns.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

2011 and 2012. The years we got Cam and Luke :)

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

BlindSite posted:

That just reminded me of the amazing double dip of Terrell McClain and Sione Fua :barf:

At least it worked out better when Gettleman did it with Star and Kawann

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

ozymandius1024 posted:

That just reminded me of the amazing double dip of Terrell McClain and Sione Fua :barf:

At least it worked out better when Gettleman did it with Star and Kawann

normally i have flashbacks when names are mentioned like this but

i literally do not remember a single thing about Terrell McClain or Sione Fua

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

Alaois posted:

normally i have flashbacks when names are mentioned like this but

i literally do not remember a single thing about Terrell McClain or Sione Fua

They were two DTs taken in the third round in 2011 (since Carolina didn't have the 33rd overall pick that year because of a 2010 Hurney Special). The only reason I remember them is because I was pumped that the rush defense was probably goingto get better that season (lol, it didn't).

Fua flamed out pretty fast, but I think McClain is still in the league (Dallas?)

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

BlindSite posted:

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

:ughh:

That, along with the two missed throws to a wide open Ed Dickson, give me great concern for when we play actual teams.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

ozymandius1024 posted:

:ughh:

That, along with the two missed throws to a wide open Ed Dickson, give me great concern for when we play actual teams.

Well, at least you don't have to worry about that this week.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

That your new running back?

big money big clit posted:

Well, at least you don't have to worry about that this week.

Carolina Defense is the stone cold lock of the week.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

if CMC was in new england he'd be an all pro this year and I'm not exaggerating.

like imagine brady hitting him right out of that break :fh:

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

FizFashizzle posted:

if CMC was in new england he'd be an all pro this year and I'm not exaggerating.

like imagine brady hitting him right out of that break :fh:

He's obviously going to play for New England at some point.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

Chilichimp posted:

Carolina Defense is the stone cold lock of the week.

Sounds like someone is counting out the Saints to spoil some divisional opponents!

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

weird Asian candy posted:

Sounds like someone is counting out the Saints to spoil some divisional opponents!

(2017) A down-on-its-luck football team receives help from a plucky Golden Retriever in defeating their division rivals. G, 146 minutes.

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

In division games are never a sure thing. I remember a few years back when the Bucs had a 4-12 season, 3 of those wins were in division including the Saints who were like 12-4 that year. I remember it because it was essentially my only moment of joy that whole cursed season.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

sword_man.gif posted:

(2017) A down-on-its-luck football team receives help from a plucky Golden Retriever in defeating their division rivals. G, 146 minutes.

Air Bud is a better receiver than Ted Ginn Jr.

Confirm/Deny?

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Drink it in boys

https://twitter.com/TBBuccaneers/status/910943032559783937

Enrique Meridian
Mar 29, 2010

gently caress yeah

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Silly Burrito posted:

Air Bud is a better receiver than Ted Ginn Jr.

Confirm/Deny?

Ted Ginn can only operate at his full prowess in Carolina and even then he still had the occasional infuriating drop.

It really is amusing how trash he is on literally any other team.

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

That hairball still holds our all time passing yardage record. Also most interceptions.

If you ever want to depress yourself look at the losers row that constitutes the Bucs QB history. Yeesh.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

A Pale Horse posted:

If you ever want to depress yourself look at the losers row that constitutes the Bucs QB history. Yeesh.

Man, you ain't kidding. Josh Freeman is #2 (and only 1K+ from #1) and that's all I needed to see.

Jameis could/should be #3 in Bucs history at the end of his 3rd season lol

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Man, you ain't kidding. Josh Freeman is #2 (and only 1K+ from #1) and that's all I needed to see.

Jameis could/should be #3 in Bucs history at the end of his 3rd season lol

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Tampa_Bay_Buccaneers_starting_quarterbacks

Check out this bad boy for starting QB history.

In 2006 Tim Rattay started 2 games for the Bucs, he's now the QB coach for La Tech, which I didn't know

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

A Pale Horse posted:

That hairball still holds our all time passing yardage record. Also most interceptions.

shaun king deserved more of a chance

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Joey Freshwater posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Tampa_Bay_Buccaneers_starting_quarterbacks

Check out this bad boy for starting QB history.

In 2006 Tim Rattay started 2 games for the Bucs, he's now the QB coach for La Tech, which I didn't know

I didn't realize you started the Dilf for 5 years! :stare:

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

A Pale Horse posted:

I do every spring and it's always sad.

Alaois posted:

shaun king deserved more of a chance

I used to have Shaun King jersey. He was awful.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Check out the Old Ball Coach in '76.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

loving Christ those were bad years.

Also, I still think we gave up on Freeman too soon.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

WampaLord posted:

No, Schiano broke Freeman and you'll not tell me different.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Shaun King was so close to being the first rookie QB to start in a super bowl :smith:

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

WampaLord posted:

Nah, Schiano broke his brain. He hasn't been able to catch on anywhere since which says everything you need to know.

Shaun King sucked, don't mourn for him.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Joey Freshwater posted:

Check out the Old Ball Coach in '76.

WOW yeah I didn't catch Spurrier!

Also, moment of silence for Chris Simms' spleen. It was spleen right?

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Man, I was all in on Freeman after that once incredible season he had. loving Schiano.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

WOW yeah I didn't catch Spurrier!

Also, moment of silence for Chris Simms' spleen. It was spleen right?

Yup. Ruptured his spleen, played the rest of the game (and actually did really well) and was then rushed to the hospital with internal bleeding. He'd lost a ridiculous amount of blood and doctors said had he waited longer he very likely could have died.

From Wiki:

quote:

On Sunday, September 24, he was taken off the field after taking hard hits from the Carolina Panthers defense. Simms returned to the game and even led a successful scoring drive, but remained in physical distress and was taken to a nearby hospital after the game. Tests revealed a ruptured spleen, and Simms immediately underwent emergency surgery. In the aftermath, Simms said he lost five pints of blood before the operation and conceded that another 45 minutes without treatment could have been fatal. The injury is believed by some to have been caused by an illegal hit from Al Wallace, who was later fined by the NFL. However, Simms was complaining of pain and shortness of breath, symptoms of a spleen issue, prior to the hit.

Joey Freshwater fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Sep 21, 2017

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Hey Bucs fans, remember when Josh Johnson was going to be a future star?

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

wandler20 posted:

Man, I was all in on Freeman after that once incredible season he had. loving Schiano.

So was I. I was convinced we'd found our answer at QB finally. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

A Pale Horse posted:

So was I. I was convinced we'd found our answer at QB finally. :smith:

It's enough to make me jumpy with Jameis. People say he's the Franchise and I'm just expecting him to collapse and get worse not better.

• Locked thread