Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hunterhr
Jan 4, 2007

And The Beast, Satan said unto the LORD, "You Fucking Suck" and juked him out of his goddamn shoes

wizard on a water slide posted:

Cat's Eye is a fun bad movie, making it better than a lot of King adaptations, which are just bad movies (sometimes bad books, even)

Kitty vs. Troll is pure grade A ridiculous :hellyeah: and I love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

“Why don’t they come out into the open?"

“Because they don’t trust us. Because what we don’t understand we want to destroy. ... That spider. Why are you afraid of it? Because it has eight legs? Because its mouth moves from side to side instead of up and down? If it came at you, what would you do? ... You'd destroy anything you didn't understand. Don't you see, Matt? That's why they've been hiding behind other men's faces, until they can clear out!"

IT is really blatantly inspired by It Came From Outer Space.

The thing about this is that the aliens in It Came From Outer Space behave completely differently from the creature in IT.

They're totally benign, just failing to hide/communicate effectively, and plotting their escape from us. IT, on the other hand, has been living under Derry for the entire history of human civilization, and clearly tears people apart or tries to eat them. If the purpose of the book/film is to illustrate what happens in a lapse of communication, it certainly comes to very different conclusions than It Came From Outer Space; that film indicts humanity for our unwillingness to communicate, while IT tells us that the Other is dangerous and it's impossible to effectively communicate.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

“Why don’t they come out into the open?"

“Because they don’t trust us. Because what we don’t understand we want to destroy. ... That spider. Why are you afraid of it? Because it has eight legs? Because its mouth moves from side to side instead of up and down? If it came at you, what would you do? ... You'd destroy anything you didn't understand. Don't you see, Matt? That's why they've been hiding behind other men's faces, until they can clear out!"

IT is really blatantly inspired by It Came From Outer Space.

I always sorta wondered how much King was inspired by the "It..." Titled movies from the 50s- like he wanted to write the primal It behind all those terrors. Hence the Rodan cameo.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I thought Jonathan Brandis was a better Bill. Such a shame about the guy.

he shoulda played stan.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Groovelord Neato posted:

he shoulda played stan.

:drat:

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Maxwell Lord posted:

I always sorta wondered how much King was inspired by the "It..." Titled movies from the 50s- like he wanted to write the primal It behind all those terrors. Hence the Rodan cameo.

If he wanted to be a pill he could've called it "The!"

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Pennywise is IT's 'fursona'.

:chloe:

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

wizard on a water slide posted:

The thing about this is that the aliens in It Came From Outer Space behave completely differently from the creature in IT.

They're totally benign, just failing to hide/communicate effectively, and plotting their escape from us. IT, on the other hand, has been living under Derry for the entire history of human civilization, and clearly tears people apart or tries to eat them. If the purpose of the book/film is to illustrate what happens in a lapse of communication, it certainly comes to very different conclusions than It Came From Outer Space; that film indicts humanity for our unwillingness to communicate, while IT tells us that the Other is dangerous and it's impossible to effectively communicate.

IT is obviously not impossible to communicate with. IT can talk, hear, etc. (IT actually has incredibly advanced communication abilities, given IT's psychic powers.)

There is miscommunication in the film, but that's to be expected when you're talking to an alien species.

IT, for example, does not kill people - being immortal, IT has seemingly little concept of death. Instead, IT specifically 'makes people float', which means uploading their minds into IT's own, to be stored for eternity. George's body might have died, but his mind is now immortal. Other kids, like Beverley, don't die at all; their bodies persist while their minds are away.

IT does stuff because IT is not a mindless eating-machine. Otherwise, it would have just eaten Beverley and the rest. IT wants friends.

You have to be careful, because a lot of what people have been saying about IT is actually just the kids' speculation, and/or stuff from the novel or the miniseries. This film is quite different.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Hmm yes, IT! is the Marxist collective, the children are the Randian heroes and unreliable narrators. Indeed.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

this movie gives no indication that IT is immortal as it lacks one of its best lines from the novel.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Groovelord Neato posted:

this movie gives no indication that IT is immortal

Besides IT living for 100s of years, you mean.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Redwoods live for hundreds of years but you can cut one down with a big axe.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Besides IT living for 100s of years, you mean.

Like a Galapagos turtle. 🐢

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I'm starting to see why SMG is the only goon I'd ever heard of irl before seeing him in the forums.

Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

invisible or nonexistent, and should be treated as such
Maybe IT isn't eternal, it just ages really slowly due to only being active one in twenty seven years. If IT has a lifespan of around 100 years, it could stick around in our history for almost 3000 years. It's claim to be millions of years old might be an exaggeration.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

IT is just the flamboyant cousin of Jeepers Creepers

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

IT always made more sense to me as a boredom eater.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

banned from Starbucks posted:

IT is just the flamboyant cousin of Jeepers Creepers

FWIW, you're on to something...

The guy who wrote and directed Jeepers Creepers was convicted of sexually abusing a child actor from his earlier slasher film Clownhouse.

Enticement, predation, clowns, murder, human monsters, child victims... There's some uncomfortable overlap there.

Victor Salva is the creep's name, btw.

deoju fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Sep 21, 2017

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Eifert Posting posted:

I'm starting to see why SMG is the only goon I'd ever heard of irl before seeing him in the forums.

what the hell kind of social circles do you run in???

Hammond Egger
Feb 20, 2011

by the sex ghost

Maxwell Lord posted:

I'd never thought about It like that but I love the idea, at least in terms of the original story. Doesn't work with the film dropping the monster hunter elements, but that's just one of many great things that the film loses in its translation.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

A nerd walks walks down the street when it hears a voice from the storm drain: "Sir, do you realise that the apocalyptic scenario of Watchmen is what happens when Jurassic Park goes too far?"

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Eifert Posting posted:

SMG goes to a very special movie theater with seats that recline far back enough for him to get up his own rear end while watching Smurfs 2.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

IT, for example, does not kill people - being immortal, IT has seemingly little concept of death. Instead, IT specifically 'makes people float', which means uploading their minds into IT's own, to be stored for eternity. George's body might have died, but his mind is now immortal. Other kids, like Beverley, don't die at all; their bodies persist while their minds are away.
So you're saying, when we finally see all the kids floating around in the sewer it works as a reference to the recent Ghost in the Shell movie where they find a bunch of humans wired up to serve as some kind of brain network for Kuze?

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

what the hell kind of social circles do you run in???

I'm curious about this as well.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

CopywrightMMXI posted:

I'm curious about this as well.

Korea had a pretty awesome goon community. There were like, 30 of us in the Seoul metro and most could be confused for human beings on a good day. This was like '11 to '14.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Also I believe if you Google Supermechagodzilla the very first hit is not the Toho films giant robot, but the CineD legend himself

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

MrMojok posted:

Also I believe if you Google Supermechagodzilla the very first hit is not the Toho films giant robot, but the CineD legend himself

Have googled, can confirm

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

MrMojok posted:

Pretty sure that's because the robot is Super Mechagodzilla, not SuperMechagodzilla.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!
Am I totally misremembering the book, or was there a part where some kid kicked another kid in the balls really hard?

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Phylodox posted:

Pretty sure that's because the robot is Super Mechagodzilla, not SuperMechagodzilla.

No it's because HE IS LEGEND my dude.

TheComicFiend
Oct 4, 2013

Let's Survive

Tumble posted:

Am I totally misremembering the book, or was there a part where some kid kicked another kid in the balls really hard?

Nope, you got it. Ben gets Henry Bowers right in the stones when he's getting carved up. IIRC the other bullies are standing around shocked for way too long while Ben tumbles down the hill?

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
I think Bev gives Henry a good kick to the junk too.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Yes he did, and here's Henry's come-uppance. One of my favorite bits from the book:

Whatever the reason— cuts, sprain, library books, or even the thought of the soggy and probably illegible rank-card in his back pocket— it was enough to get him moving. He lumbered forward, squashy Keds spatting in the shallow water, and kicked Henry squarely in the balls.
Henry uttered a horrid rusty scream that sent birds beating up from the trees. He stood spraddle-legged for a moment, hands clasping his crotch, staring unbelievingly at Ben. “Ug, ” he said in a small voice.
“Right, ” Ben said.
“Ug, ” Henry said, in an even smaller voice.
“Right, ” Ben said again.
Henry sank slowly back to his knees, not so much falling as folding up. He was still looking at Ben with those unbelieving black eyes.
“Ug. ”
“drat right, ” Ben said.

TheComicFiend
Oct 4, 2013

Let's Survive
Now I really really hope that was a deleted scene or an extra. Would've been a great moment for Ben and Henry's raaaage at the Losers.

Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

invisible or nonexistent, and should be treated as such
Was Guillermo Del Toro involved in this in any way? I feel like he must have been.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Croisquessein posted:

Was Guillermo Del Toro involved in this in any way? I feel like he must have been.

No, he had talked about doing his own adaptation of IT, but it was unrelated to this. However he also wanted to do an adaptation of Pet Sematary, and if he's still interested, I bet he'll have an easy time getting that greenlit now, or maybe the success of IT will be the nudge that gets his R rated "At the Mountains of Madness" finally made.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
The beaver trapping line was goddamn hilarious.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Tom Guycot posted:

maybe the success of IT will be the nudge that gets his R rated "At the Mountains of Madness" finally made.

I thought he canceled that himself because it was so similar to Prometheus

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

banned from Starbucks posted:

I thought he canceled that himself because it was so similar to Prometheus

Not sure, from what I read the studios weren't willing to give him the budget he felt he needed, at least at an R rating (I think he wanted 150m to do it). At least, I think that was what I heard about the latest "its canceled", considering its been in a starting and stopping development hell for ages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

MrMojok posted:

Yes he did, and here's Henry's come-uppance. One of my favorite bits from the book:

Whatever the reason— cuts, sprain, library books, or even the thought of the soggy and probably illegible rank-card in his back pocket— it was enough to get him moving. He lumbered forward, squashy Keds spatting in the shallow water, and kicked Henry squarely in the balls.
Henry uttered a horrid rusty scream that sent birds beating up from the trees. He stood spraddle-legged for a moment, hands clasping his crotch, staring unbelievingly at Ben. “Ug, ” he said in a small voice.
“Right, ” Ben said.
“Ug, ” Henry said, in an even smaller voice.
“Right, ” Ben said again.
Henry sank slowly back to his knees, not so much falling as folding up. He was still looking at Ben with those unbelieving black eyes.
“Ug. ”
“drat right, ” Ben said.

Not to keeping talking about the book but Ben is also channeling one of his few idols, a hardass, fatass, and deadass cool detective who doesn't take poo poo from anybody. I picked up IT a bit ago and got halfway through it, after seeing the movie I'm going to pick it up again.

I've gotta say I really enjoyed the film, and IT's dead-eyed stare reminded me of the look a lot of Junji Ito characters have. I'm probably going to see it again and take a friend who I know would be really into the design of the Flute Lady, but was pretty turned off of a Scary Clown. There was a display case full of old dolls at my Nan's house and I had a nice nostalgia trip, like most people, I avoided that thing when I was little but haven't thought about it in years. Pretty much mirroring the adults in the story. That's some harmonious filmmaking

Andy Muschietti gets monsters, so I'm hoping this dude makes horror movies for the next forever.

• Locked thread