Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

I think it looks great, most of the differences are just that this is the modern style of anime

The really really important thing is if they can make 20 characters wearing the same uniform all look unique.

Edit: new anime trailer on the last page

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Cake Attack posted:

It's not like the ovas were a particularly remarkable achievement of animation. The designs were standard for the time and the show itself was pretty stiff. The biggest issue is that there's no way this show is getting the like 75 episodes minimum you'd need to actually cover the story

The OVAs had a consistent style that was absolutely perfect for the series. The other aspects of the animation may have been average, but style is just as, if not more, important. The preview doesn't give much to make a comparison though, showing only 3 major characters out of a cast with dozens.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Much as I like the period-appropriate style of the previous OVA, this looks good too. What'll make or break it for me is the soundtrack.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Yang looks good to me so there's that. He's my main dude. The rest is... interesting but hey, we'll see.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

I am hoping that this series will be taking a lot of cues from the (excellent) manga.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Do we know how long this series is scheduled to be/how much it will be covering?

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.

Go RV! posted:

Do we know how long this series is scheduled to be/how much it will be covering?

First season is going to be 12 eps, coming this spring. second season is going to be 3 films with a total of 12 episodes of story.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2017-09-20/new-legend-of-the-galactic-heroes-anime-reveals-cast-staff-promo-video-dates-titles/.121619

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"
I can deal with how the new version looks, mostly, but I'll miss the classical music if they don't bring that back.

Popo posted:

First season is going to be 12 eps, coming this spring. second season is going to be 3 films with a total of 12 episodes of story.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2017-09-20/new-legend-of-the-galactic-heroes-anime-reveals-cast-staff-promo-video-dates-titles/.121619

Which suggests they probably aren't going to adapt more than a small handful of arcs, at least at this time.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I came in ready to be disappointed, and I thought the designs looked really good until they got to Yang. Yang looks fuckin ridiculous. Is julian gonna be in this? It seems weird to make Yang look so young when he's supposed to have a ward.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
also yang isnt a frowny bishie type, he's a shy professorial type going aw shucks

Scatsby
Dec 25, 2007

Echoing on the Yang thing. I mean, he's a military officer, but he's not supposed to look or act like one -- he should be disheveled and unserious and sort of rueful looking.

That said, he was in it for all of like 2 seconds, so who knows.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Bongo Bill posted:

Much as I like the period-appropriate style of the previous OVA, this looks good too. What'll make or break it for me is the soundtrack.

I was going to make a Mahler joke but while looking for relevant clips I found something amazing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hh3RbTUcg8Y

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Bongo Bill posted:

Yeah this was what I realized, if it has anything but orchestral classics they will have RUINED IT FOREVER!!!

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
the FPA ships look pretty bad but they might be some kinda boring cruisers or something. If the Hyperion isn't in I'd be sad

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

No anime has ever shown a character in his or her 30s, except maybe by adding a small beard to a younger model.

Do 12 episode seasons suggest each season will cover 2 books? So season 1 will end right about when the double civil war starts?

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Billzasilver posted:

No anime has ever shown a character in his or her 30s, except maybe by adding a small beard to a younger model.

The OVAs made Yang look too old to be in his 20s and too young to be in his 40s. :colbert:

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I don't know if I can agree with that. Maaaybe if you have prior knowledge that his drink is secretly full of bourbon.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
functioning alcoholic yang looks like a total babe

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

This show will be good, because it will lead to more people watching Legend of Galactic Heroes, which they should, Q.E.D.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Doc Hawkins posted:

This show will be good, because it will lead to more people watching Legend of Galactic Heroes, which they should, Q.E.D.

Tell me about it. I'm getting an itch to watch it and see if I can't get myself to stick with it past the 50~ ep mark, which is where my attention span usually wanders.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I mean if you've not watched it yet it's kind of an incredible saga told in about a hundred episodes constantly, while it's not balls to the wall really, I don't really remember any long stretches where nothing important happened. Maybe the history episodes but those owned anyways.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Captain Invictus posted:

I mean if you've not watched it yet it's kind of an incredible saga told in about a hundred episodes constantly, while it's not balls to the wall really, I don't really remember any long stretches where nothing important happened. Maybe the history episodes but those owned anyways.

Yeah, people say that it's slow paced but the truth is that it just has a lot of ground to cover. There's always something going on.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
i will probably just watch the toast to democracy scene in the new series. i cant think of any real standouts beside that which are worth rewatching

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Relin posted:

i will probably just watch the toast to democracy scene in the new series. i cant think of any real standouts beside that which are worth rewatching

Schenkopp, with a rocket launcher slung over his shoulder, kidnapping Lebello. "We're the lawless and brutally cruel rebel squad."

bondster
May 6, 2007

Fixed with a more accurate answer.

Walter von Schenkopp :swoon:

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

Doc Hawkins posted:

It will be bad on it's own merits because it's 2018, and also because some people will say they like it more than the good adaptation, which most newcomers will probably ignore.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

Is the new anime getting an average budget or what

It's going in movie theaters for season 2

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I sincerely hope that the new series puts an amount of male gaze on Reinhard that is more similar to the books, i.e. a lot of it.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
I have no expectations this will be anywhere near as good as the OVA, but I'm sure I'll watch it all. I don't care too much about the animation - If it's less than half the trainwreck that Berkserk 2016 was, I'll consider it a win.

The ships were recognizably empire/FPA, Reinhard's flagship was recognizable - if they keep that up that's fine. Go wild with the doodads or don't...whatever. Yang definitely looks too young and neat in the trailer, hopefully they figure out how to animate foppery and whim between now and release. Nothing else looked that off other than Kircheis looking Asian instead of European, but I figure that's fair considering what we do to Asian characters over here.

The voice acting and music will make or break it for me, though if they do any fanservice that's not blatantly centered around Schenkopf and Poplan, I'll be pretty mad.

Anyone know if they're keeping OVA Dusty Attenborough or sticking with the novel version?

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

They couldn't have made Reinhard's face look more unlike his personality. He looks like a teenager making a badass face in his bedroom mirror. Yang looks like a cheap gigolo.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I'll be honest I thought they were gonna like way anime it up so aside for infant Yang I'm pleasantly surprised. I'd take this over the gaiden animation, for example.

For me though it's a bit of a wasted effort, since I love the original, but obviously the idea is to exploit the same story for a generation of people who never saw or heard of the original, so I doubt they are trying to please current fans so much as remain recognizable while not being slavish to the adaptation.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

VostokProgram posted:

I was going to make a Mahler joke but while looking for relevant clips I found something amazing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hh3RbTUcg8Y
I didn't watch this earlier on my phone, thank god I reread this page of the thread. Holy poo poo that's hilarious.

Ghost-Slug
Feb 21, 2011

Feeding Tigrex
one Hunter at a time

Lipstick Apathy
I'm not sure how I feel about the new designs for Yang and Sieg but I will probably still watch it if it's closer to the books' timeline/canon. I'm actually one of the rare people who started getting into the series through the books so I've only seen a few episodes of the old OVA for fear of spoilers, but I really like the art and character designs in it. The new sharp-looking Yang just seems wrong.

I thought folks in the thread might be interested in this - it's an article/talk by the translator of vol 4 and 5 of the novels about the series:
http://www.haikasoru.com/legend-of-the-galactic-heroes-vol-3/legend-of-the-galactic-heroes-translator-tyran-grillo-speaks/

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Ghost-Slug posted:

I will probably still watch it if it's closer to the books' timeline/canon.

It won't be. The OVAs are hilariously faithful, which is part of the reason the series is 110 episodes long. The most they differ (that I have noticed) is in the fact that certain scenes which are flashbacks in the books are sometimes parcelled out into their own Gaiden episodes instead of being shown in the middle of the current events the way they're interleaved in the books.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Well, the OVAs also have Dusty. It saddens me to think of a LoGH without Dusty.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

YF-23 posted:

Well, the OVAs also have Dusty. It saddens me to think of a LoGH without Dusty.

Dusty is still in the books but he's introduced in Book 3 I think, rather than being around from the start. Now that I've been listening to the audiobooks for the series it saddens me that the exploits of Yang's father aren't included in the OVAs.

The_White_Crane posted:

It won't be. The OVAs are hilariously faithful, which is part of the reason the series is 110 episodes long. The most they differ (that I have noticed) is in the fact that certain scenes which are flashbacks in the books are sometimes parcelled out into their own Gaiden episodes instead of being shown in the middle of the current events the way they're interleaved in the books.

The recontextualisation of the background lore and history in episodes 50-51(?) was a brilliant decision, as they were formerly just an inelegant lore dump right at the start of the first book.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007
Has anyone read the translated novels and would the first three be worth $20?

There's a humble bundle deal at the moment but I'm not sure if it's worth buying and I have no idea about the other novels.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Kegslayer posted:

There's a humble bundle deal at the moment but I'm not sure if it's worth buying and I have no idea about the other novels.

Well if you already wanted to read the novels that's a great price, since the usual price for one is $16 on amazon. If you're unsure, my personal feeling about the first one is that on it's own merits its a decent novel, but the OVA was such a ridiculously faithful adaptation that it almost feels like you're reading a script. So if you go in expecting to see some new story or nuance that you haven't seen before, you'll be mostly disappointed. On the other hand, if you go in expecting loving descriptions of how beautiful Reinhard is....

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Kegslayer posted:

The audiobooks are worth more simply because it gives a different interpretation of characters, like Yang who is a bit more bitter. There's also a ton of small details here and there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost-Slug
Feb 21, 2011

Feeding Tigrex
one Hunter at a time

Lipstick Apathy
I've only been reading the novels and haven't seen much of the OVA but I'd say it's definitely worth it - I've really been enjoying the series! In my opinion, what I saw of the OVA wasn't completely the same as the novels (the background history has apparently been moved from the very beginning of the series to mid-way through, they added Dusty into a bunch of scenes, and I don't remember Yang having a romantic thing for Jessica in the novels). There's enough different that it's worth checking both out, I think. :)