Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Weedle posted:

Yes, thanks. This is what I was hoping for.

That's bizarre. I don't have the scroller and it's a huge pain in the rear end.

That is *weird*. Did you try changing the sort options to "Artist" to try to get it to re-set? Or kill Music.app and relaunch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Proteus Jones posted:

That is *weird*. Did you try changing the sort options to "Artist" to try to get it to re-set? Or kill Music.app and relaunch?

Yep, no scroller with either sort option. I've relaunched Music.app as well as deleted it and "reinstalled" from the App Store. If I'm browsing by Artists or Songs, I get the scroller, though.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Out of curiosity, how many albums do you have in your library? Really fuzzy memory makes me wonder if it’s less than 50.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

EL BROMANCE posted:

Does this show you what you need?

Goddamn stop only showing four albums per screen Appple you assholes. :argh:

Weedle
May 31, 2006

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Out of curiosity, how many albums do you have in your library? Really fuzzy memory makes me wonder if it’s less than 50.

It was at 98; I added a couple more to make sure the threshold isn't 100, but still no dice.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah they should have the same kind of size slider they use in iTunes really.

I don’t think it bothers me about only 4 per screen, but maybe subconsciously it does as I default to Album View in iTunes but pretty much always use Artist View on my phone.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A GROWNUP WHO FUCKS A REAL DOLL

EL BROMANCE posted:

Does this show you what you need?

Hell yeah The Anniversary

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!
The letters don't show up in the main library tab. They do in Artists, Albums, etc window.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

decypher posted:

The letters don't show up in the main library tab. They do in Artists, Albums, etc window.

They don't show up for me in Albums.

Keystoned
Jan 27, 2012
I have a handful of older apps that are giving me a message that they will not be compatible with ios11. Does literally mean that the day I upgrade they will cease to open, or theyre just not optimized.

Im guessing they will just be flat disabled which sucks because my favorite app, gym buddy is one of them. Any recommendations for a simple and customizable app for tracking workouts / lifts?

What I like about gym buddy is you can build any workout based on their existing lifts or add in your own. It also his history for me going back several years so it sucks to lose that.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If they're 32 bit apps, yeah, they are dead.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Keystoned posted:

I have a handful of older apps that are giving me a message that they will not be compatible with ios11. Does literally mean that the day I upgrade they will cease to open, or theyre just not optimized.

Im guessing they will just be flat disabled which sucks because my favorite app, gym buddy is one of them. Any recommendations for a simple and customizable app for tracking workouts / lifts?

What I like about gym buddy is you can build any workout based on their existing lifts or add in your own. It also his history for me going back several years so it sucks to lose that.

Time to get 'Strong'! It's the best workout app there is with a very active developer who listens to his users.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I have a handful of 32-bit games that I'm leaving installed in the hope that in a few months I'll see an update for them to make them work.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
This is going to be dumb, but now with iTunes removing apps from the program (Windows), how the heck am I supposed to download updates for large files and sync them over?

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!
What. Just update them from the App Store??

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I think he's talking about moving large files to use IN an app over via app and file management in iTunes.

At a guess? Throw it up on Dropbox or One drive or something and pull it into the app that way?

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Legs Benedict posted:

What. Just update them from the App Store??

I mean I normally used itunes window's program to updates my apps (instead of updating though my phone). iTunes's latest update has completely removed the app section to "focus on music" more or something stupid. Hence now I do not have a way to update the apps through my computer.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A GROWNUP WHO FUCKS A REAL DOLL
Now you update them through your phone. Your other computer.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Etrips posted:

I mean I normally used itunes window's program to updates my apps (instead of updating though my phone). iTunes's latest update has completely removed the app section to "focus on music" more or something stupid. Hence now I do not have a way to update the apps through my computer.

Why would you want to do this? Your phone will happily do it automatically without you touching a thing.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

People still plug their phones into their computers in 2017? Huh.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
:shrug: it's just how I have done things since the beginning of time.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

tuyop posted:

I'd love a guide for setting that up if you have a handy reference. My googling is failing me.

See my old post in this thread here:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?goto=post&postid=471544317

Any questions and I can elaborate.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Just found out you can update apps through a computer

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Just found out you can update apps through a computer

ah buddy

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I've no qualms with not being able to update through my PC since I haven't done that in years, but it's handy sometimes to be able to upload files into an app (e.g. videos into Infuse) through my PC since it's a lot quicker than the wifi upload.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
You can still transfer files from your computer into an app like you used to, it's just in a very slightly different place. Plug in your device, open its page in iTunes, and click "File Sharing" on the left hand side.

Not being able to update apps is a bit of a pain - I have an iPhone and an iPad, and didn't really see the point in downloading the same update twice, so just downloading once and syncing to both was nice - but it's not the end of the world. I'm more annoyed over the books stuff...

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

~Coxy posted:

See my old post in this thread here:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?goto=post&postid=471544317

Any questions and I can elaborate.

That's funny, I see that we've been here before! Sorry that I forgot.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

tuyop posted:

That's funny, I see that we've been here before! Sorry that I forgot.

I've never used it, but isn't that what huffduffer is for?

https://huffduffer.com

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

The Kins posted:

You can still transfer files from your computer into an app like you used to, it's just in a very slightly different place. Plug in your device, open its page in iTunes, and click "File Sharing" on the left hand side.

Not being able to update apps is a bit of a pain - I have an iPhone and an iPad, and didn't really see the point in downloading the same update twice, so just downloading once and syncing to both was nice - but it's not the end of the world. I'm more annoyed over the books stuff...

Can't you just turn on automatic downloads? Or does that not cover updates?

Frankly, iTunes has been bloated forever. So if this is just the start (and likely finish) of them optimizing that program, then good for them.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

IUG posted:

Can't you just turn on automatic downloads? Or does that not cover updates?

It seems like it's supposed to but it literally never works on my iPhone or iPad.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
So, can I delete the Mobile Applications folder in my iTunes Library and not worry about anything?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

I did and it doesn’t affect anything. It’s like iTunes doesn’t know what apps are anymore.

You can now hide purchases from the phone App Store (Account > Purchased > Not on this [iDevice] > (swipe)) and still unhide them from your account page in iTunes’ music store (the Apps category in the right top edge in hidden purchases). I haven’t looked where to unhide apps on the phone because ehhhhhh.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

The new App Store is really nice. I’ve actually bothered to try a few new ones due to the interface. Separating games was a good idea.

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

The new Files app seems like it might be cool but right now it’s got some weird quirks. Some files, like Pages documents, open in the Pages app, which makes sense. However, PDFs seem to only be able to open in the built-in reader. If I want to use PDF Expert, I have to copy the file to that app, which makes the Files app less useful. Opening a Word document will prompt me to copy it to Google Drive.

Basically, if I’m going to actually do any work with my files, it doesn’t really change the game.

Anyone know how much of this is just because it’s new and 3rd party apps haven’t caught up, or if it’s just going to be fundamentally weird until maybe the next iOS?

Edit: viewing a PDF inside the files app apparently doesn’t make that file eligible for the “recents” tab, but copying a word document to google drive does. Consistency!

tankadillo fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Sep 20, 2017

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Speaking of PDFs, does anyone get an issue when they use Safari to view one that it’ll work for a small bit then the whole document goes black? I can import to iBooks and they’re ok. This happened in iOS 10 for me and has persisted to 11. Small documents and large.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

None of my notifications are saving. I think I've had this since iOS 10 when I may have turned it off somehow but there's no notification history at all, for read or unread. Swiping down on the main screen to get the faux-lock screen always says there aren't any older notifications. Where's the setting to turn those on? I have "show in history" or whatever on for every app in the notification settings but it looks like there's some master switch somewhere that's set to disabled but I can't find it. :(

SeANMcBAY posted:

The new App Store is really nice. I’ve actually bothered to try a few new ones due to the interface. Separating games was a good idea.

I hate that I lost my wishlist and the only way I can get it back is by downgrading and writing down what was on it.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Use Appshopper.com for your wishlist so you can be notified of price drops.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Where's my 3D push left side of screen to switch apps

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

In the garbage can of features Apple decided we didn't actually need.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Boris Galerkin posted:

Where's my 3D push left side of screen to switch apps

Gone for absolutely no good reason. Thanks Tim!!