Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Mantis42 posted:

They should do that, but instead of a mirror universe the Not-Trek crew should be one of the more prestigious ships in the Orvilleverse's federation, to help reinforce the fact that this show is about underdog b-listers.

I'm not picky, that would work too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I think Star Trek exists as a show in the world of the Orville. That would explain why the Whole Crew wanted to go after the captain and first officer when they've only known them like, a month at most. That's the proper heroic thing to do and those always work out. 75% of (human) Union enlistees feel like they're joining Starfleet.

Digital Prophet
Apr 16, 2006

"..and then came the black crow, herald of doom, who foretold the coming of death."

I think Patrick Stewart should be a tiny role that has no bearing on anything, like the voice of the shuttle craft's computer or an alien with so much makeup you can't tell who is under it and who only talks in high pitched screeches.

Kinda like Clooney and Sparky.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

In the same way that Norm MacDonald plays a blob in the show, Patrick Stewart will most likely play a piece of poo poo, like he did in the Emoji movie and that one failed Showtime show.

That said, as I was falling asleep last night, I got it in my head that if they brought John de Lancie on as Q except his name was J or something to avoid lawsuit, but he was literally the same character in every other aspect, it would pretty much be the best loving thing in the history of the show, no matter what else they do.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

DaveKap posted:

In the same way that Norm MacDonald plays a blob in the show, Patrick Stewart will most likely play a piece of poo poo, like he did in the Emoji movie and that one failed Showtime show.

Blunt Talk? It got a second season, it wasn't that big a failure. It was also pretty funny.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

DaveKap posted:

That said, as I was falling asleep last night, I got it in my head that if they brought John de Lancie on as Q except his name was J or something to avoid lawsuit, but he was literally the same character in every other aspect, it would pretty much be the best loving thing in the history of the show, no matter what else they do.

Couple this with the TNG cast on the Union flagship, and they're all just like, oh, him again.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I feel like if they introduce a Q like character, it should be played by Will Wheaton. The dude can totally play a smarmy arrogant type and it would be perfect.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Mantis42 posted:

They should do that, but instead of a mirror universe the Not-Trek crew should be one of the more prestigious ships in the Orvilleverse's federation, to help reinforce the fact that this show is about underdog b-listers.

Yea, I really want an episode where they have to deal with some hyper-competent crew that always gets along and has a better ship.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

swickles posted:

I feel like if they introduce a Q like character, it should be played by Will Wheaton. The dude can totally play a smarmy arrogant type and it would be perfect.

I highly approve of this idea.

Which matters not at all.

But I do.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

DaveKap posted:

I mean, you know that is the thing "my little pony" did and one of the reasons weirdo nerds like that show so much right?

"Hasbro giving them a very loose rein and generally a policy of "why the hell not?" was what brought it all together. Case in point: Discord. Discord was a character straight off Lauren's pen, because apparently she'd been bingeing on Trek:TNG lately at the time that script got written. She decided to play him just like Q, because why the hell not? She'd originally planned to have Discord voiced by a De Lancie soundalike; but then during one of the meetings, someone (Jayson said it might well have been him) just said, "Why don't we just try to get the real guy?" Sure it cost money, but Hasbro said why the hell not? And John was free, and he was game, so there's our Discord. Why the hell not?"

Owlofcreamcheese fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Sep 21, 2017

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I mean, you know that is the thing "my little pony" did and one of the reasons weirdo nerds like that show so much right?

That didn't happen until the beginning of the second season and nerds were well into their obsessive fandom by then.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

The Bloop posted:

That didn't happen until the beginning of the second season and nerds were well into their obsessive fandom by then.

I won't argue on the exact time line of nerds liking mlp, but discord is openly just john de lancie playing a character that has the same powers as Q in the same role and is openly just hired to be Q by the show's creator.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I just want to see Patrick Stewart yell "I'm the mayor of Jam City!" in real life.

cjg
Sep 5, 2003

How did she not understand old school Earth references but knew about reality TV?

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

So you are afraid of ponies? That's all I can really take from that. Bronies = trekkies, same poo poo different uniform. In fact, TNG:Orville::Bronies:Tekkies

Chew on that you puss

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

cjg posted:

How did she not understand old school Earth references but knew about reality TV?

Isn't that how everyone is about any culture that isn't their own? You just know a random patchwork of whatever while having no idea what other aspects even are.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

3 DONG HORSE posted:

So you are afraid of ponies? That's all I can really take from that. Bronies = trekkies, same poo poo different uniform. In fact, TNG:Orville::Bronies:Tekkies

Chew on that you puss

Monologues at u

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

cjg posted:

She said Lt Gordon Malloy told her to look into it

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
Did they move the third episode of The Orville to tonight at some point or was it always scheduled this way?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It was always scheduled to premeire the first two episodes on Sunday then move to Thursday.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Tonight's game is pure garbage so I have faith in the ratings

Arglebargle III posted:

Monologues at u

My one weakness..how did you know.......

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

swickles posted:

Eugh, jesus, no.

Wheaton, really? You seriously don't see how Wheaton would be different in the role from De Lancie?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
If we're going to jerk it to hypothetical fanservice about openly ripping off other series' characters, how about getting Peter Jurasik in to play Londo?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Isn't he dead?

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Honestly if there isn't a single reference to Roger this show is trash.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Isn't he dead?

No you're thinking of Jesus.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Isn't he dead?

Pretty sure you're thinking of Andreas Katsulas who played G'Kar (and also the Romulan commander Tomalak in TNG!)

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Jurasik is still teaching a college acting course, last I knew.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Yeah like 3/4 of the Babylon 5 cast are dead so I'm always surprised when any are alive I guess.

Farewell
Flounder
G'Kar
Bill Mumy
Probably captain Sinclair
Like, I dunno I bet the security chief after Jerry Doyle went to Mars probably died or something

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
The dudes who played Sinclair and Garibaldi are both dead

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I hope they meet Darth Retcon with the lightsaber knees

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
I hope Babylon 5 existed as a show in the show universe's 1990s and they find it in the archives and spend an episode making GBS threads on it non-stop.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Tighclops posted:

The dudes who played Sinclair and Garibaldi are both dead

What? I thought Garibaldi was still hosting a lovely third tier right wing radio show.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Nope. Jerry Doyle died last year, complications from alcoholism. JMS gave a nice eulogy where he mentioned that a lot of Garibaldi's "jesus, dude, that's brutal" lines were literally just poo poo that Doyle said backstage, like the one about the solution to crime being moving from electric chairs to electric bleachers.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

swickles posted:

You got some poo poo for this idea, and I know Wil Wheaton would be totally different from John De Lancie, but I like this idea anyways. Maybe they could steal the effects from the Traveler phasing in/out and comment on how creepy all of that was while basically making him Q too.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Wil Wheaton already played an rear end in a top hat on Dark Matter.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Yeah like 3/4 of the Babylon 5 cast are dead so I'm always surprised when any are alive I guess.

Farewell
Flounder
G'Kar
Bill Mumy
Probably captain Sinclair
Like, I dunno I bet the security chief after Jerry Doyle went to Mars probably died or something

Dude, Bill Mumy isn't dead.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

He's a mumy

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Cojawfee posted:

Wil Wheaton already played an rear end in a top hat on Dark Matter.

And the guild. And big bang theory. It's his niche.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gizmojumpjet
Feb 21, 2006

Fill your bowl to the brim and it will spill. Keep sharpening your knife and it will blunt.
Grimey Drawer
The guy who played Londo's aide, Vir, is also dead.