Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

"Wait, I wonder if... Yes, it's Chuck Tingle"

canyoneer posted:

The rule with kids is that if you don't get anything for them because they say they aren't hungry, they'll eat all of your meal.
And also if you order them their own meal at a restaurant they'll only want to eat 3 bites of it.

:negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

Already read it.

Volmarias posted:

To play devil's advocate, sometimes your kids actively demand the garbage and get upset if you try to give them something good (or just don't eat more than two bites before being "done").

However, hiding the good stuff from them unless it's a kind of food you don't want them to have at all (soda, etc) is horribly indicative...

Same, it's an interesting read.

Self-posting here, but if my parents wanted something specific for themselves like Yodels or Ring Dings or something, they would have to hide them because my ravenous teenage self would eat them all. But they never did that generic for me, name brand for them thing.

Also thanks to those who added to the Ye Olde BWM contest

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Moneyball posted:

Self-posting here,

What happens when one reports a mod in their own forum? Let's find out :v:

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Subjunctive posted:

I bought Ethereum today for work (don't ask) and I feel like an idiot already.

Thread title please.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Virigoth posted:

Thread title please.
Oh please, it's a perfectly cromulent investment.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Subjunctive posted:

I bought Ethereum today for work (don't ask) and I feel like an idiot already.

Coingratulations!

drat I should have bought a "coingratulations" smilie instead of :bitcoin: oh well

Saeku
Sep 22, 2010
I know a lot of people who got ungodly rich off cryptos or Magic cards. (Including one of the Ethereum co-founders...)

Seems like an even split between "they got too rich and I never saw then again" and "they ate out every single meal until it was gone." My neighbor claimed to win a million dollars off BTC and spent it all on restaurants. Last I saw him he was using cardboard boxes for curtains.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
All I know is that I'd love to be given the opportunity! Even if it's one of those monkey's paw kind of wishes

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Saeku posted:

I know a lot of people who got ungodly rich off cryptos or Magic cards. (Including one of the Ethereum co-founders...)

Seems like an even split between "they got too rich and I never saw then again" and "they ate out every single meal until it was gone." My neighbor claimed to win a million dollars off BTC and spent it all on restaurants. Last I saw him he was using cardboard boxes for curtains.

Introduce some of these mythical bitcoin millionaires to the bitcoin thread because we've been trying to find a credible story of someone who got real actual millions of dollars off cryptos for years now and I don't think we've ever found anyone

e: Also get the etherium co-founder an account and invite him to the thread to do a, uh, "interview" with divabot

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

ate all the Oreos posted:

Introduce some of these mythical bitcoin millionaires to the bitcoin thread because we've been trying to find a credible story of someone who got real actual millions of dollars off cryptos for years now and I don't think we've ever found anyone

e: Also get the etherium co-founder an account and invite him to the thread to do a, uh, "interview" with divabot
A guy I work with got and cashed out around $250k from ethereum, supposedly. He still trades crypto consistently but he's also clearly doing it for the gambling high and not because of any delusions about its usefulness as a currency.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

My client is still withdrawing steadily with no problems so far.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Solice Kirsk posted:

I think cryptocurrency as a currency is a laughable notion, but my cold dead heart is warmed by material success.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

ate all the Oreos posted:

we had one in this very thread, some goon is a finance guy helping him cash out

opposable thumbs.db
Jan 7, 2008
It's hard to say that it's wrong that my life revolves around my dog when she is cuter and more interesting than me
Pillbug
It makes me so happy that even in many crypto success stories like Solice's client's story, the behavior that led to success was the same that people like Bogle and Buffett advise with index funds--buying and forgetting about it.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Crypto is awful because the currency literally consumes vast amounts of energy to continue existing

It is objectively bad for society

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Zo posted:

we had one in this very thread, some goon is a finance guy helping him cash out

That's why I put "dollars" in italics, because there have been plenty of "bitcoin millionaires" in theory that never had more than a few hundred thousand actualdollars materialize out of it. It sounds like that guy might actually be successful over time though, so good for him, he might be the first Real Actual Bitcoin Millionaire :shobon:

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

Not a Children posted:

Crypto is awful because the currency literally consumes vast amounts of energy to continue existing

It is objectively bad for society

And it's causing scarcity in the gaming GPU market :arghfist:

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

Solice Kirsk posted:

Did he end up being able to do $10k per day, or $10k every other day?

Will those limits ever increase?

Edit: and another stupid question, would he be able to open a second, third, etc wallet somewhere that allows withdrawals, transfer some BTC to the new wallets, and do another 10k per day from each of those?

Droo fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Sep 21, 2017

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Solice Kirsk posted:

Did you tell him that the withdrawals today are worth about 25% less than the ones last week?

I assume since this was all "free money" anyway that he probably doesn't care, but it would be interesting to get a perspective on that from someone who had no idea.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Did you tell him that the withdrawals today are worth about 25% less than the ones last week?

My graph shows it up about 10% since a week ago?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Subjunctive posted:

My graph shows it up about 10% since a week ago?

I guess it's been about two weeks.

Sept. 7th - $4,638 per BTC
Sept. 21st - $3,682 per BTC

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I guess it's been about two weeks.

Sept. 7th - $4,638 per BTC
Sept. 21st - $3,682 per BTC

I show $4,500 from Coinbase today, but they're also showing higher on the 7th too. They show a 10% drop over a month, though.

I think speculating on bitcoin is dumb, but recent price movements aren't really evidence of it.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Subjunctive posted:

I show $4,500 from Coinbase today, but they're also showing higher on the 7th too. They show a 10% drop over a month, though.

I think speculating on bitcoin is dumb, but recent price movements aren't really evidence of it.

https://www.coindesk.com/price/

Says 3.6k today?

And the two crashes in one month because BTC exchanges are getting shutdown is a pretty good reason to be skeptical. The assumed value due to widespread adoption seems like an incredibly shaky assumption.

Edit: I like this poll from the site.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Are any bitcoin exchanges capable of funding a 100% withdrawal? And if the answer is no, why would you speculate on it?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

il serpente cosmico posted:

Are any bitcoin exchanges capable of funding a 100% withdrawal? And if the answer is no, why would you speculate on it?

If your holdings are less than $1,000 and not a lot of other people want to withdraw at the same time as you, then you can quickly withdraw 100% of your holdings with minimal fuss.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

If your holdings are less than $1,000 and not a lot of other people want to withdraw at the same time as you, then you can quickly withdraw 100% of your holdings with minimal fuss.

What I mean is, can any exchanges fund 100% of the exchange's total holdings at any given time?

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
I don't see how they could, given the volatility of BTC. Are they gonna go raise 25% more reserves when it takes a jump somehow? Also they're not a bank, they're not loaning anything so I don't see why they'd be expected to.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
Anyone have a link to the Blockchain book? Sounds interesting.

And while I'm asking for links of things I could probably just google myself, does anyone have a link to how much energy bitcoin is consuming? I know it's staggering but I can't seem to find out how much.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Not sure that is the point of an exchange does the NYSE hold enough cash and credit to cash out every security?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I'm not comfortable answering a bunch of those questions, but I can tell you we talked about how the price per coin could bounce around a ton and he doesn't care even in the slightest. He's waaaaaay ahead already and this is such a big windfall for him that he cried a little in my office after the first transaction hit and we confirmed it.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

I don't see how they could, given the volatility of BTC. Are they gonna go raise 25% more reserves when it takes a jump somehow? Also they're not a bank, they're not loaning anything so I don't see why they'd be expected to.

How would you even calculate a reserve amount of real money to have on hand when someone can move any amount of "coins" in our out of your exchange in the span of minutes?

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Elephanthead posted:

Not sure that is the point of an exchange does the NYSE hold enough cash and credit to cash out every security?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't exchanges the only practical way to store and buy bitcoins? And since this is the case, don't people treat them as de-facto banks? If a de-facto bank needs to go Ponzi to fund withdrawals, then that seems like a problem to me.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't exchanges the only practical way to store and buy bitcoins? And since this is the case, don't people treat them as de-facto banks? If a de-facto bank needs to go Ponzi to fund withdrawals, then that seems like a problem to me.

Not to defend cryptocurrency at all, but even real banks use fractional reserves, which depending on their size is anywhere between 3-10% minimum IIRC.

But I bet crypto exchanges still don't come anywhere close to that.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

Solice Kirsk posted:

I'm not comfortable answering a bunch of those questions, but I can tell you we talked about how the price per coin could bounce around a ton and he doesn't care even in the slightest. He's waaaaaay ahead already and this is such a big windfall for him that he cried a little in my office after the first transaction hit and we confirmed it.

I hope this guy happily withdraws all his millions and retires, meanwhile this activity crashes the entire currency and all the annoying neck beards hodling and praying on dumber investors lose their shirts.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Jesus if the car was worth about 6k and your client is cashing out what was 6k worth of bitcoins in 2012...

Yeah he just fast forwarded to richsville.

Makes me wish I'd bought like 50 buttcoins on a lark back then.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

I think what people ought to be doing is keeping their own private wallet with the vast majority of their holdings and disbursing small bits in to the exchange at just the rate you can withdraw them back out as cash. Otherwise you don't actually have coins, you have coin credit in whatever their db which as you say could become worthless overnight.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Isn't it just buy and sell orders and not the actual exchange buying your bitcoins?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Actual banks don't have anywhere near the capability to fund withdrawals. That is what fractional-reserve banking means.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

However, a bank is typically not in fact insolvent and there are rules for winding down a bank in a non catastrophic way that ensures depositors are made whole, below a certain amount per account. Bank runs don't really happen in life any more.

Or we could trust Magic the Gathering Online eXchange to have a plan for liquidation in the event of a systemic security breach. Surely the leading crypto currency exchange has made such a contingency to make its creditors whole!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

https://www.coindesk.com/price/

Says 3.6k today?

And the two crashes in one month because BTC exchanges are getting shutdown is a pretty good reason to be skeptical. The assumed value due to widespread adoption seems like an incredibly shaky assumption.

I agree that the whole currency space is shaky, or worse. I bought in with reluctance for professional purposes. I wish I could find a way to ethically expense it.

(Coinbase isn't Coindesk, but it's hilarious that they're so far apart.)