Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

GreenNight posted:

My boss sent me this on duties for the new IT person he wants to hire.

Good loving luck.
Uh, s/36 as in the predecessor to as/400? :psyduck:
I had a customer who ran an old 400 in s/36 mode a while back and I thought he was the only one left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Dick Trauma posted:

I've had to work with both a mystery toilet seat shitter as well as someone that would leave what appeared to be a massive explosion of nose crunchies on the bathroom mirror. Every morning one of us would find the mirror covered in spray of partially bloody snot bits and even after three years we never figured out what goddamn creep was doing it, or what exactly they were doing.

The nose crunchies on the mirror actually seems worse than hallway making GBS threads to me. I've become desensitized to random poo poo on the floor.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Aunt Beth posted:

Uh, s/36 as in the predecessor to as/400? :psyduck:
I had a customer who ran an old 400 in s/36 mode a while back and I thought he was the only one left.

Yup. We have old code that no one ever re-wrote in RPG cause it just works.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

And what does that code actually do that's useful in TYOOL 2017.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

DigitalMocking posted:

The only problem I have is that senior staff salaries tend to just die off. There's no raises beyond a static 2% year regardless of your performance review once you crest 6 figures. I'm between 30 - 80% underpaid in the current market (depending on the level of responsibilities in the jobs in question) and I'm really hoping the new HR team is going to unfuck some of this. There's evidence they are, some other folks have had reasonable near market adjustments. I've been told mine is in line for the new fiscal year starting October 1st.

I honestly don't think I'd leave even if they don't do anything, I love where I work, I love the freedom and flexibility and the people are top loving notch, but man, and extra 50k/year... it's so tempting.

I'm in a similar boat but I'm in a much crappier body of water. I'm 100% remote (a few hours from the nearest corporate office) and I'm never going to get another significant raise around here, but the local pay scale is considerably lower. If I ever get RIFed, it's a long-rear end commute or a local job and a 40% reduction in salary for me.

Not entirely unrelated question: I got real good at Perl scripting, then my job changed and I don't have occasion to do a lot of scripting anymore. What I do write, I have to hand off to some other support team, so I've mostly been writing in sh lately. I want to get comfortable with Python and Ruby so I can get my resume out of the 90s. Can anyone recommend good books on those languages for someone who's already got a decent background and doesn't need babby's first script?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Dick Trauma posted:

I've had to work with both a mystery toilet seat shitter as well as someone that would leave what appeared to be a massive explosion of nose crunchies on the bathroom mirror. Every morning one of us would find the mirror covered in spray of partially bloody snot bits and even after three years we never figured out what goddamn creep was doing it, or what exactly they were doing.

Cocaine

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

GreenNight posted:

Yup. We have old code that no one ever re-wrote in RPG cause it just works.
There are probably half a dozen greybeards who work in Rochester MN who will be fired the instant your support contract ends or you move off the platform.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

We don't use our IBM support contract for code issues. Hardware and IOS updates.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
At one of my previous jobs we also had an incident with someone making GBS threads in the middle of our auditorium. I never heard any more about it from security, so I think it was a visitor.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Hmmm... it was an ad agency...

:bustem:

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Dick Trauma posted:

Here's someone that never had to use Retrospect.

Depends on the version. Classic Retrospect by Dantz was rock solid for me, but every version after that got worse.

Also, gently caress ad agencies. I had PTSD for a couple of years after working for TBWA.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Yeah I think internal customer is really just short hand for "we're going to do anything that's asked of us by anyone, enjoy your workload"

That's exactly what an OLA is for. Ain't in the OLA, ain't your problem.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
There was a thing at my high school at one point with a turd being found in a water fountain :(

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Dick Trauma posted:

a shitton of cocain, sounds like

e: f;b

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
I know I've posted this before, but it's still relevant to the conversation.

The booger bandit has yet to be identified.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I'm glad whoever made the "don't wipe snot on the wall" poster took the licensing of the image seriously

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Thanks Ants posted:

I'm glad whoever made the "don't wipe snot on the wall" poster took the licensing of the image seriously

I can just picture some super anal person, the type of person that would take the time to type out License: Creative Commons (or at least leave it in the picture) for something like this, furious that they have to type up something telling people not to wipe snot on the walls. And don't forget you will "increase your own risk of infection" and "you will lose the respect of your coworkers."

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
I used to work at a gas station and one of the mechanics would always shoot snot rockets at the wall across the toilet when he was taking a poo poo. Man I don't miss being a teenager working at a gas station.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Trip report: Company is godly. I could not find a single flaw. Poop closets everywhere.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

jon joe posted:

Trip report: Company is godly. I could not find a single flaw. Poop closets everywhere.

Only thing I'd be wary of is the nature of the business itself. Would you be supporting an application sold by the company? Cause that can lead to niche experience that doesn't translate well. If it's not that, gangbusters, have fun, but otherwise something to consider.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Only thing I'd be wary of is the nature of the business itself. Would you be supporting an application sold by the company? Cause that can lead to niche experience that doesn't translate well. If it's not that, gangbusters, have fun, but otherwise something to consider.

All reseller stuff based on broadly used systems, with multiple products.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

jon joe posted:

They plan to fatten you up and then sacrifice you to the computer gods. Get out now!

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Did you check the WiFi signal in the shitter? You fool. Check that and ensure it's a good strong signal or make that your first priority.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

jaegerx posted:

Did you check the WiFi signal in the shitter? You fool. Check that and ensure it's a good strong signal or make that your first priority.

This man knows what's up

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

jaegerx posted:

Yes, actually.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Not that I'd ever want to goof off secretly there, because they are very open about allowing you to goof off if there's no work to be done (which is infrequent, but lasts for hours when it does happen).

Mostly I'd just want to take advantage of their training opportunities, which they pay for.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

There's a set of Cisco Wi-Fi planning documents that include an AP labelled as "restroom", they know what's important

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Zorak of Michigan posted:

Not entirely unrelated question: I got real good at Perl scripting, then my job changed and I don't have occasion to do a lot of scripting anymore. What I do write, I have to hand off to some other support team, so I've mostly been writing in sh lately. I want to get comfortable with Python and Ruby so I can get my resume out of the 90s. Can anyone recommend good books on those languages for someone who's already got a decent background and doesn't need babby's first script?

"Automate The Boring Stuff" is what's recommended by the Python thread, as well as "Learn Python the Hard Way".

I used ATBS and I really liked it. I had no real experience besides an intro to java 10+ years ago in college and some bash/perl scripting at work. ATBS is available for free online or in (e)book for a small fee I believe.

It helped me get started and I really enjoy automating stuff with it these days.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
I just worked on a network with a fully functional vtp configuration. That was nice to have to only configure the vlan on one switch but man I fear for the day they screw the pooch when adding a switch. No backups and no internal network admin with a good understanding of it all.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
VTP is a bomb.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/jupenur/status/911286403434246144

:lol:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

*breathe*

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

When I think of "Adobe" the first word that comes to mind is "security" for sure

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

https://twitter.com/me_irl/status/911328527248699392

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Oh my god

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

CLAM DOWN posted:

When I think of "Adobe" the first word that comes to mind is "security" for sure

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It's even labelled as being the private key, in the key.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
And people wonder how poo poo like Equifax happens

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Thanks Ants posted:

It's even labelled as being the private key, in the key.

Well to be fair, that's actually how it comes out when you export a PGP Keypair. The stupid comes from doing it in the first place. The absolutely, holy-poo poo, wtf you loving incompetents comes from putting out for everyone to snag.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Sep 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Adobe.txt