Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XtraSmiley
Oct 4, 2002

TheScott2K posted:

I hope Nintendo makes millions of these and loving incinerates the SNES cart bubble

Yeah just like how NES games are cheap as crap now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

XtraSmiley posted:

Well you can't find an NES Classic so

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

XtraSmiley posted:

yeah, I have to imagine the people that are inflating the cartridge market aren't too concerned about the SNES classic wiping them out. you've gotta be a turbo-nerd in the first place to really care about the authenticity of playing on original hardware vs on an emulator, and the vast number of people who'll spend $80 on an SNES classic were never in the market for a $300.00 pristine copy of the Earthbound cartridge or whatever.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

ballistics statistics posted:

gently caress I don't know what to do.

I really don't want to pay the Gamestop ransom if there are going to be enough out there that I can just buy one. They've got me on the hook for a lovely package that's twice the retail cost for some book I don't care about and a wireless controller that I'd rather have an 8bitDo.

Do I cancel my preorder or not... hmmmm.

Don't they do free returns in-store for stuff ordered online? Just keep it, find it elsewhere and return the GS version. That way you are guaranteed one either way.

If you don't mind waiting a bit, I am sure within the first 3 months you'll get one either way with nowinstock and brickseek.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
A buddy sold me Earthbound a million years ago, along with box and paperwork in pristine condition, plus his SNES and Mario RPG as well as a half dozen lesser games for $75.

I shoved all of it but the cart straight under my bed and disappeared to college. A couple of years later when I checked it had been smooshed and destroyed and I tossed it.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Huxley posted:

A buddy sold me Earthbound a million years ago, along with box and paperwork in pristine condition, plus his SNES and Mario RPG as well as a half dozen lesser games for $75.

I shoved all of it but the cart straight under my bed and disappeared to college. A couple of years later when I checked it had been smooshed and destroyed and I tossed it.

REEEEEEEEEEEE

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Huxley posted:

This makes me so sad.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Huxley posted:

Some things are better left unsaid....

Also, you tossed the carts because the box was smashed/dented? They are cardboard, just pop the dents back out, even if they look beat up and creased. SNES carts are pretty tough unless they get wet.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Nail Rat posted:

This makes me so sad.

Hey, nobody is sadder about it than me. To be fair, at the time of the deal $75 was pretty fair for what I got and he really needed the help. I still have all of it, aside from the Earthbound stuff. Still stinks to think back on it, feels a lot like our parents lamenting all the baseball cards they shoved in their spokes.

FireMrshlBill posted:

Some things are better left unsaid....

Also, you tossed the carts because the box was smashed/dented? They are cardboard, just pop the dents back out, even if they look beat up and creased. SNES carts are pretty tough unless they get wet.

No, games were all very well cared for, but I would never sell them in a million years. One day my buddy will tell me about a bill he's having trouble paying and I'll just send it all home to him.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Huxley posted:

No, games were all very well cared for, but I would never sell them in a million years. One day my buddy will tell me about a bill he's having trouble paying and I'll just send it all home to him.

Keep the games, send him money.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

A friend of mine gave me a copy of Earthbound for my birthday 9 years ago. :smugdog:

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

FireMrshlBill posted:

Keep the games, send him money.

Probably both, tbh.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Doesn't this mean that the EU versions will be easy to get, as well? So we don't necessarily have to get the ugly US version? :woop:

Also, TRU is going to die. Most of them are right next to Targets and Wal-Marts which sell the exact same stuff but for better prices. TRU hasn't adjusted to the new economy and will be gone soon as a result. It's funny, when you think about it. There are more toys than ever and more children buying more toys. But TRU can't make money.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Waltzing Along posted:

Doesn't this mean that the EU versions will be easy to get, as well? So we don't necessarily have to get the ugly US version? :woop:

Also, TRU is going to die. Most of them are right next to Targets and Wal-Marts which sell the exact same stuff but for better prices. TRU hasn't adjusted to the new economy and will be gone soon as a result. It's funny, when you think about it. There are more toys than ever and more children buying more toys. But TRU can't make money.

I just got done watching this pretty informative video about TRU's history and decline.
https://youtu.be/4JYUo9WKkao

Long story short, the company got bought out in 2005 and went private. The company that bought TRU used TRU as collateral to purchase the company. They haven't been able to pay that debt back, not to mention the debt TRU had before the buy out. Which leads us to now.

Online doesn't seem to have hurt them as much as you'd expect since they started their website twenty years ago. (I remember they were even partnered with Amazon for a while.)

That said, their prices could have been lower.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Toys R Us went downhill ever since they got rid of the ticket system for games.
https://twitter.com/jeff_delgado/status/910179930624815104

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Waltzing Along posted:

The Babies R Us stores don't overlap with Target and Walmart as much, and they do pretty well. I've read a lot of articles this week suggesting they may shutter some TRU stores but keep the BRU stores and consolidate the two stores some more.

And from what I've read, the problem isn't that TRU can't make money, the problem is that it can't make enough money to cover its gargantuan interest payments - and those interest payments are only there because of a leveraged buyout years ago in which some private equity firms loaded TRU up with mountains of debt to take it private. In other words, the fundamental business is likely fine, and this was an entirely avoidable situation caused by greed and mismanagement.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.
I wonder how much of a hurdle enhancement chips are going to be when it comes to modding. There are some games like star ocean and mega man x2/3 that use chips that no other games in the collection use.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Ohtsam posted:

I wonder how much of a hurdle enhancement chips are going to be when it comes to modding. There are some games like star ocean and mega man x2/3 that use chips that no other games in the collection use.

If you're talking about a hakchi style mod, hakchi lets you replace the original NES emulator on the NES Classic with another emulator, while still keeping the UI and savestate functionality, so I don't see this as being any different in theory.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

Blotto_Otter posted:

And from what I've read, the problem isn't that TRU can't make money, the problem is that it can't make enough money to cover its gargantuan interest payments - and those interest payments are only there because of a leveraged buyout years ago in which some private equity firms loaded TRU up with mountains of debt to take it private. In other words, the fundamental business is likely fine, and this was an entirely avoidable situation caused by greed and mismanagement.

Mitt forgot to put Geoffrey's pet carrier back in the car before driving off. The business isn't fine--the hundreds of millions they make in profit annually aren't even covering interest on the twelve-year-old shitshow and they're so loaded that the big sharky banks are swimming around, trying to finance their bankruptcy. I completely expect TRU to shut stores down without warning in the next few months and Bloomberg to write an article about how millennials killed them.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

SeANMcBAY posted:

When I was a kid I had to wait until a game was like 20 bucks and even then it took a weeks-long campaign tied to a birthday or Christmas to get one.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

I phrased that poorly - I meant the underlying concept of "national chain of toy- and baby-specific retail stores" is still a viable business, not that TRU is fine. TRU isn't going away completely but it is gonna go through some poo poo soon, and yeah, they're probably gonna close a bunch of stores.

In January, of course. Gotta keep the employees around to sling those toys and vidyagames for one last Black Friday.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

I hope TRU stays open. The toy aisles at Target and Walmart just aren't as magical for a kid. Plus, I try to avoid that circus called Walmart like the plague. I want my kids to enjoy TRU and there aren't any local or regional toy stores in the area like I had as a kid (Toy Castle, etc.).

I'll start throwing more business their way instead of Amazon... though I am still going to price match Amazon, haha. Making more stores TRU/BRU combined stores may be a good idea.

However, for video games, still going with my 20% discount on Amazon Prime and Best Buy Gamers Club.

FireMrshlBill fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Sep 21, 2017

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

SeANMcBAY posted:

when I was a kid, the concept of a store that only sold toys seemed like some kind of fantastic heaven that couldn't actually exist. it didn't hurt that I lived in a small town in the middle of nowhere and the closest TRU was about a 4 hour drive away in another part of the state. I maybe got to visit once a year and oh my god those trips were the stuff of legends. you'd see the kind of regular toys that were always in wal-mart or k-mart, but then there'd be a gently caress-ton of toys you'd never even heard of and your kid brain would hit critical overload and you wouldn't even know which toy to beg your parents for because there'd be too many cool options.

I think toy stores are probably one of the few types of retail that can survive amazon changing the shopping paradigm because kids still go apeshit about having an actual store with actual toys they can touch and play with. you can even tell the difference if you've got a kid; my daughter is excited to go down the toy isle at target, sure, but once in a while when we hit a TRU she goes to a whole next level of excitement.

shame TRU got their business so badly mismanaged. whatever company purchases them for pennies on the dollar after their bankruptcy will likely be able to turn a pretty profit as long as they aren't pants-on-head stupid about their business choices.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Huxley posted:

Hey, nobody is sadder about it than me. To be fair, at the time of the deal $75 was pretty fair for what I got and he really needed the help. I still have all of it, aside from the Earthbound stuff. Still stinks to think back on it, feels a lot like our parents lamenting all the baseball cards they shoved in their spokes.

gently caress dude even my battered eb players guide with doodling and weird highlighting in it sold for like 60 bucks, can't imagine it got more hosed up than that

I hope toys r us stays around, or at least the one in Nashua NH does, that place is usually decently busy, let alone during Christmas time when it's a madhouse. It's got a babies r us built in too iirc

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

Freaking Crumbum posted:

when I was a kid, the concept of a store that only sold toys seemed like some kind of fantastic heaven that couldn't actually exist. it didn't hurt that I lived in a small town in the middle of nowhere and the closest TRU was about a 4 hour drive away in another part of the state. I maybe got to visit once a year and oh my god those trips were the stuff of legends. you'd see the kind of regular toys that were always in wal-mart or k-mart, but then there'd be a gently caress-ton of toys you'd never even heard of and your kid brain would hit critical overload and you wouldn't even know which toy to beg your parents for because there'd be too many cool options.

I think toy stores are probably one of the few types of retail that can survive amazon changing the shopping paradigm because kids still go apeshit about having an actual store with actual toys they can touch and play with. you can even tell the difference if you've got a kid; my daughter is excited to go down the toy isle at target, sure, but once in a while when we hit a TRU she goes to a whole next level of excitement.

shame TRU got their business so badly mismanaged. whatever company purchases them for pennies on the dollar after their bankruptcy will likely be able to turn a pretty profit as long as they aren't pants-on-head stupid about their business choices.

Kids go apeshit watching toy demonstrations on YouTube now.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Ohtsam posted:

My 4 year old watches these, or people playing with toys, more than he watches normal cartoons. It drives me a little nuts.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Freaking Crumbum posted:

I've seen boutique toy shops that do really well. They sell a lot of books, wooden toys, and creative brands like Haba and Playmobil. The value add to the customer there is a well curated selection of high quality and unique toys, and a lot of it has open toys that kids can play with before they buy. I can relate to the level of excitement difference between a Target toy aisle and a dedicated toy store (like that boutique one I have in mind). My kids could probably happily stay there for a couple hours playing with the display stuff, compared to about 30 minutes at Target (because everything is in the package! :argh)

It's a similar idea to why hobby game stores don't survive on selling chess sets and Scrabble, but on selling Magic The Gathering, Warhammer, and RPG books and supplies and providing a play space for those.

It's the mass market, high volume, can-buy-it-anywhere stuff that fills half the gargantuan Toys R Us stores and probably accounts for 90% of their sales volume that isn't really necessary in the walgetmazon era.
I'd be unsurprised if their Babies R Us business is really healthy, because that's an evergreen segment that also has a lot of incentive for people to handle the item in person before buying it.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

one more week yall

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Ohtsam posted:

mine does both

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

PneumonicBook posted:

My 4 year old watches these, or people playing with toys, more than he watches normal cartoons. It drives me a little nuts.

My 4 year old wants boss rushes. All bosses, no damage.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Ohtsam posted:

PneumonicBook posted:

univbee posted:

mine does both

loving same. it's weird to me that she wants to watch other people play with toys when she has loving piles of toys she barely touches.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

gently caress and I thought I was a cool dad

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Captain Invictus posted:

gently caress dude even my battered eb players guide with doodling and weird highlighting in it sold for like 60 bucks, can't imagine it got more hosed up than that

I hope toys r us stays around, or at least the one in Nashua NH does, that place is usually decently busy, let alone during Christmas time when it's a madhouse. It's got a babies r us built in too iirc

I picked up my 2x WoN Metroids there. One I was getting for a buddy who then declined it, and it immediately sold to another buddy at work before I got home.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
And it's always like, Mario and Luigi or something he wants where it's like two hours long.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I think mine's watched the hour long history of Mario and bowser boss battles dozens of times and can probably tell you how to beat them better than I could at this point.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Oh God yes. I don't know why this person uploads all these videos. No loving way they are getting any monetization, Nintendo has to have claimed them.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

SeANMcBAY posted:

lmao are we going to get a bunch more of these when it finally closes. people are so obsessed with their child nostalgia goddamn (also just lmao at the pic)

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Captain Invictus posted:

Speaking of toys r us, I had a parent work there once as a manager and among other things, i managed to get a yoshi's story demo cartridge because they gave it away in a raffle.I sold that thing a decade ago when you could find one online for like 60 usd. Now? Just checked and Someone selling them on ebay for a loving thousand+ dollars. Man, retro game market got hosed up.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Freaking Crumbum posted:

loving same. it's weird to me that she wants to watch other people play with toys when she has loving piles of toys she barely touches.

Just wait until they get into just watching video games instead of playing them. My 8 year old does this despite her having, like every game an 8 year old could possibly want on PS4, Switch and Wii U.

It makes me feel really old.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

Tengames posted:

Speaking of toys r us, I had a parent work there once as a manager and among other things, i managed to get a yoshi's story demo cartridge because they gave it away in a raffle.I sold that thing a decade ago when you could find one online for like 60 usd. Now? Just checked and Someone selling them on ebay for a loving thousand+ dollars. Man, retro game market got hosed up.

If you wanna read some crazy retro fuckery, read up on SNK and the two guys who bought up all their old game/system stock. They bought all of SNK's poo poo for like $90k, sold about 20% of their purchase, and pulled in almost $400k in a week. SNK eventually sued them for reprinting inserts and converting arcade-only Neo Geo games to console carts but they're both filthy rich at the end of it all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Tengames posted:

We're all over 30 now and new things are scary. Nostalgia is a hell of a drug. Though I feel like our generation spends more on it than others

Did Boomers have anything similar? I wanted to say Vinyl but gently caress I think that market is driven mainly by hipsters sipping organic coffee
(Sits back and Drinks Organic latte with a side of Avocado toast)