Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Makoto's major problem is that her skillset is too diverse. Ultimately you're going to have to choose to ditch something she does to prevent her from becoming a less flexible Joker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Analogies! If Morgana was Yukari, Ryuji Kanji, Ann Mitsuru, and Yusuke Junpei, then Makoto is Teddie; she's the jack-of-all trades, picking up nukes, buffs and heals. The trade-off is that she learns nukes slower than Ann, heals slower than Morgana, and has less raw Magic than either of them (but it's fairly easy to fix that later on). She's also actually less busy than Teddie was, who had access to all three buffs while trying to fit everything else from his skillset; P5 spreads the buffs between three characters (Ryuji/Yusuke/Makoto) so she can devote more time to nuking.

Personal opinion is that Morgana is better than Makoto for a good portion of the game since she'll be playing catch-up while Morgana has the stronger heals. By the end, Makoto's better bulk and versatility lets her push forward.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Yeah, but Makoto is a good character and Morgana is a cereal mascot reject with a massive ego

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

GeneX posted:

Yeah, but Makoto is a good character and Morgana is a cereal mascot reject with a massive ego

not an empty quote

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
The thing is, Makoto doesn't learn THE BEST healing spells. But really, it's a case of personally preference.

Edit: Sorry, removed.

Junpei fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Sep 21, 2017

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

We'll get to all that in time. Let's not go into specific lategame skills.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

GeneX posted:

Morgana is a cereal mascot reject with a massive ego

"Morgan-Os! They're Quuuuuarktastic!- wait, gently caress!"

TheDavies
Mar 27, 2010

Arist posted:

I don’t know what you’re talking about, Mika’s great. I also believe that’s the last we ever see of her, but what an impression she made!

Nope, she shows up one more time.

Rawkking
Sep 4, 2011

Arist posted:

lol i actually thought it was this but i looked it up and my source was wrong, apparently

No, I've definitely been able to strengthen the same persona after waiting a day. It's entirely possible that both waiting a day and removing it from your inventory both let you strengthen it again.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Arist posted:

As we can see, Makoto has a fairly diverse skillset even from the start. She can use Nuclear attacks to hit weaknesses or deal Technical damage against disabled foes, hit the entire enemy party with Vajra Blast, a Medium Physical attack, use single-target (and second tier, the first we’ve yet seen!) healing, and even raise an ally’s defense with Rakukaja.

I guess you could say that Makoto had a meltdown so now she's going nuclear on their asses. :smugteddie:

Arist posted:

I realized later that Shiho was calling out for me… and I wasn’t there to help her… I didn’t want to admit my own guilt… so I took it out on you, Niijima-senpai.

Is it just me, or does it feel weird how the game keeps reminding you that Shiho still exist despite not letting you see her in person? I guess we're only at the third dungeon so we might see her after this, but it just feels strange that Maaku hasn't interacted yet with the first person to be nice to him.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Rawkking posted:

No, I've definitely been able to strengthen the same persona after waiting a day. It's entirely possible that both waiting a day and removing it from your inventory both let you strengthen it again.

You basically can use it 'once a day', however, all the game does is check if you have the strengthened persona or not. If you register it in your compendium and dismiss it or fuse it, then resummon it, you can strengthen it again.

If you want to go the normal path, you can just do it once a day.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
So what is Road Warrior Makoto's codename, anyway? Hawk? Animal?

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but back in Persona 2 or 1 didn't nuclear do almighty damage?

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

C. Everett Koop posted:

So what is Road Warrior Makoto's codename, anyway? Hawk? Animal?

We'll decide on it next time we go into the palace. Her code name is way cooler than that.

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013

Arist posted:

...gains Dream Needle from Inugami’s skills. Personas have certain inheritance types that determine what skills you can give them from fusion (though skill cards ignore this), and the Gallows process picks randomly from the applicable skills. As you can imagine, this is abusable as hell, though with a few caveats. You can only do it once per Persona per day. Furthermore, part of a Persona’s damage calculations is its base level, so while this can be used to hold onto a really good Persona for a lot longer, you’re still going to want to ditch it eventually.

resurgam40 posted:

Not true, actually; it has nothing to do with the day. You can only do it once with one persona, as long as it remains in your inventory. Thus, if you strengthen a Persona through Gallows, register it, delete it from your inventory through fusing or dismissal, summon the same persona drom you inventory, and strengthen it again. You can do this as many times as you like, and the only caveat is having enough money to constantly withdraw an increasingly expensive Persona.

Both of these are partially correct and partially incorrect. You can use the gallows to power up a persona once per day. But you can also resummon it to power it up again.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

Mraagvpeine posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but back in Persona 2 or 1 didn't nuclear do almighty damage?

persona 1 had nuclear skills as the single target almighty attacks, persona 2 had force/zan as the single target almightys, iirc

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
I'm just impressed that the game took the time to give Ann and Makoto a scene together to talk out their own issues. Bechdel Test Passed!

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

Strange Matter posted:

I'm just impressed that the game took the time to give Ann and Makoto a scene together to talk out their own issues. Bechdel Test Passed!

It is a really nice moment, isn't it, where two characters just see each other and apologize for past unpleasantness outside of the plot or character prompts?

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

resurgam40 posted:

It is a really nice moment, isn't it, where two characters just see each other and apologize for past unpleasantness outside of the plot or character prompts?
Mostly I'm kind of refreshed that the characters even acknowledge each others' existence outside of the MC's presence. In Persona 4 it felt like everyone was just hanging on the Player's every waking moment to get on with their lives.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Arist posted:

We know how to get in now. Our objective’s been accomplished!
But how are we getting out?
There’s only one exit, right?
‘Sup, Miss Post-Apocalyptic Raider.
Do you want to get smacked? I’m going on ahead, so follow me!

Yo, what's up with using the text picture here?

Arist posted:

Out in Shibuya, we spot a wild cop.

I don't trust 'im.

No one walking around carrying a suitcase with an Anarky logo on it is on the level. :colbert:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I miscopied something from my big document with all the portraits I reuse, that's what's up.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

Yo, what's up with using the text picture here?

I don't trust 'im.

No one walking around carrying a suitcase with an Anarky logo on it is on the level. :colbert:

It's clearly an Avengers logo. He's the biggest nerd.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Arist posted:

I miscopied something from my big document with all the portraits I reuse, that's what's up.

Pfft, yeah, like I'm gonna believe that you made a mistake. How dumb do you think I am?

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

No, Ann is.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

RareAcumen posted:

No, Ann is.

I'm pretty sure that's a photoshop.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Stephen9001 posted:

:thejoke:

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

Stephen9001 posted:

Dollars to donuts I bet it's actually a pixlr.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

No it's clearly his Akechi logo.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Given that I often pretend to take things entirely seriously/feign ignorance for the sake of humour myself, I really should have seen this coming.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

what's all this malarkey, Spider-Ann is totally canon

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I guess the moral here is that it's bad to coast on what you're good at. Or that it's okay to undercut people who don't respect what they do.

It's definitely one or the other.

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

We need Dragon-type Pokemon to help us prepare our food before we cook it. We're not sure why!

Really Pants posted:

That nickname doesn't make any sense. 'Man' doesn't rhyme with 'Ann'. :colbert:

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo

Rather Watch Them posted:

That nickname doesn't make any sense. 'Man' doesn't rhyme with 'Ann'. :colbert:

It does in many accents. In others it doesn't. Maybe they're using an accent that rhymes the words where Man and Ann both rhyme with Can, Dan and Bran.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So can we Gallows onto other people's personas, or only the ones in the Joker mask?

I suppose going back to managing an entire party's personas would be a bit of an overload, even if it was only through sacrifice.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Only Joker's Personas can be Gallowed. The other party members don't even know the Velvet Room exists.

Really Pants posted:

Spider-Ann, Captain Makoto, Iron Ryuji, Thorgana, and The Incredible Yusuke, ready to fight crime!

ApplesandOranges fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Sep 22, 2017

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

ApplesandOranges posted:

Captain Makoto, Iron Ryuji

I feel like these two should be reversed. :v:

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

From a thematic point oddly enough no, at least for Captain Makoto. Ryuji probably needs someone else though.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I thought about swapping things around but the remaining members fit nearly perfectly with the party members yet to come, at least for me.

Plus Iron Man is a snarky loudmouth who just wants to fly around and do whatever he wants, so works well enough with Ryuji. And Thorgana was too good of a pun to give up.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
So in theory could you use the Gallows to keep Arsene competitive for the entire game by continually resummoning him for fresh Strenthening again and again? Or do diminishing returns eventually set in?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Strange Matter posted:

So in theory could you use the Gallows to keep Arsene competitive for the entire game by continually resummoning him for fresh Strenthening again and again? Or do diminishing returns eventually set in?

The amount of experience increases incredibly dramatically, it's theoretically possible but probably not actually worth it.

Also it seems I was wrong about one more thing: I no longer believe Persona base level factors into the damage calculations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Strange Matter posted:

You can. Basically you need treasure demons.

First, you recruit a treasure demon, preferably all the ones you can.

Then you use them to strengthen Arsene. Make sure you go for the stats level ups you want.

You don't have to keep on resummoning him though. Just do it once a day. You're not always in the palace, so while you're working on daily life, once a day you can use the gallows on him.

You need loooooooots of money to do that. Loooooooooots of money.

Like Kaneshiro and his 3 million yen is like chump change. Okay, not really, but the costs add up. So either you really, really want it, because otherwise it's not really worth it. Arsene isn't actually special. He's cool and has a cool cutscene, but that's it.

Blademaster_Aio fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Sep 22, 2017