Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Action George
Apr 13, 2013

Pander posted:

There's more than 4 good relics on this though? I had mistilteinn and asylum already but drat a half price pull on at least 1 guaranteed burst just seems like a good way to be.

Yeah, I only got Sarah's BSB out of this and despite already having Y'shtola and Relm's BSB it was completely worth it. I tried her out replacing Relm in my magicite squad and I went from a dicey Bismarck clear that popped last stand multiple times to smoothly mastering it on the first time. I was unenthusiastic about pulling it at first because I never hear anyone talk about it but Sarah's BSB is sneaky good and she'll probably replace Y'shtola as my primary healer against magic heavy bosses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Ovelia bsb, yshtola bsb, iris bsb, ceodore bsb, eiko bsb

I think I'll pass...

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?

Crazy Larry posted:

Yeah, I only got Sarah's BSB out of this and despite already having Y'shtola and Relm's BSB it was completely worth it. I tried her out replacing Relm in my magicite squad and I went from a dicey Bismarck clear that popped last stand multiple times to smoothly mastering it on the first time. I was unenthusiastic about pulling it at first because I never hear anyone talk about it but Sarah's BSB is sneaky good and she'll probably replace Y'shtola as my primary healer against magic heavy bosses.

Sarah's BSB is very good. I also discovered how sneaky good it was recently. Magic blink on entry and an insta-cure that does major regen. Very nice tools.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

If you're less than 6/18 of the relics here or bankrupt in mythril, I don't see any good reason not to pull here. Medica BSBs are probably the least power creeped relics in light of the future. Half the relics have some form of Last Stand, Astra, Blink, Stoneskin or Faithga, which if you're missing any of those, automatically make this a worthwhile risk.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
The only bad part about pulling Eiko BSB is how my phone keeps trying to autocorrect Eiko to Seiko or Keiko.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

It'll probably combo pretty well with Garnet BSB2 and my X CM team is mage meta anyway. Yeah, I'm on board for Yuna BSB2

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope

BGrifter posted:

The only bad part about pulling Eiko BSB is how my phone keeps trying to autocorrect Eiko to Seiko or Keiko.

O'Brien spotted.

Philouza
Jul 20, 2005

Benthalus posted:

1/11 for Ceodore's Enhancer. I needed neither more holy relics, nor more FFIV non-Rosa relics, nor any BSB without AoE cure commands.

Basically this was the worst possible draw I could get for this banner. I'd rather have a dupe for one of the three healer BSBs I already have so at least they'd have a better stat stick. All the rest of the items were 3* as well.

Terrible start. Hopefully it doesn't continue like this.

I got the same and feel the same way. It might help me finish the 200CM Torment but I'm not sure it's gonna get use elsewhere.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Due to my poor mythril habits and the fact that we don't get the massive load of free mythril until the day after the last lucky (cheeky bastards) I'll be skipping out on today and tomorrow. I should at least be able to pull on the 6* Lucky, which is the important one anyways.

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

BGrifter posted:

This post reminded me that I actually have Eiko's BSB and now I'm kind of sad because it saw a lot of use as my first healer BSB but now I rarely use it since it doesn't provide any bonus defensive buffs on entry or have an instant cast.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Crazy Larry posted:

This post reminded me that I actually have Eiko's BSB and now I'm kind of sad because it saw a lot of use as my first healer BSB but now I rarely use it since it doesn't provide any bonus defensive buffs on entry or have an instant cast.

It's pretty good for physical teams that don't need the extra defensive options from other healers. I run it in my Earth magicite team and it'll add about an extra ~15k for each of Tifa's BSB uses.

Also having a spammable targetable blink is nice for Ninjas.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
i got Arc's BSB, which will collect dust nicely along with his robe and shell/regen staff, while Arc remains level 1

:| slot's full, kid, you're good but not good enough for me to care

i honestly don't even know why i rolled on this loving banner, i'm drowning in healer gear and had like six of the items on the banner already. i'm shocked i didn't get a dupe.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Yuna's BSB2 is incredibly good and it's one of the reasons I'm able to beat one of the magicites. Stacking faith+mindga, healing, and a command combo that does summon damage while healing the whole party. It's really really good.

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

"I'm thirty," I said. "I'm five years too old to lie to myself and call it honor."
I'd like to think i can incorporate Ceodore into a gimmick non-healer team with Reks, so I'll report on that in the future :v:

In other news, since I got Lenna's BSB, I realize I have no idea how Rebirth works compared to Last Stand. What are the relevant differences?

Also, with Iris: 1) is Astra purely preventative or does it Esuna as well and 2) what's the best way to get healer sb gauge up without wrath? I noticed Iris and Penelo have similar movesets.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Elephant Ambush posted:

Yuna's BSB2 is incredibly good and it's one of the reasons I'm able to beat one of the magicites. Stacking faith+mindga, healing, and a command combo that does summon damage while healing the whole party. It's really really good.

Hmm. This might change my mind on aphmau bsb. I thought it was bad but haven't actually used it yet.

Also pulled Deuce bsb and i can see myself easily replacing OK with her

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

ceaselessfuture posted:

I'd like to think i can incorporate Ceodore into a gimmick non-healer team with Reks, so I'll report on that in the future :v:

In other news, since I got Lenna's BSB, I realize I have no idea how Rebirth works compared to Last Stand. What are the relevant differences?

Also, with Iris: 1) is Astra purely preventative or does it Esuna as well and 2) what's the best way to get healer sb gauge up without wrath? I noticed Iris and Penelo have similar movesets.

Rebirth revives a character after they've been KO'd. However, they're revived without any buffs, making them very vulnerable to any follow-up attacks. Last Stand preserves a character with 1% hp if they'd die, keeping their buffs but meaning they're a breath away from being KO'd.

They can stack (giving them double protection). Last Stand is generally better than Rebirth, but note that Last Stand will not protect a character from things like Death and Doom, while Rebirth will at least get them back up.

Astra is purely preventative. Healers are a bit limited if they don't have Wrath; the best they can do is using RMs to boost their gauge gain if they can afford it. Characters with instant cast commands (like Relm or Iris) will be able to squeeze in more actions in the same amount of time, building up gauge faster.

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

"I'm thirty," I said. "I'm five years too old to lie to myself and call it honor."
Ah drat, I was afraid of that -- not having native wall hurts when someone dies. I'm sure it'll come in handy somewhere though.

Thanks for the info! I'm excited to start abusing one of the best BSBs.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

ceaselessfuture posted:

With Reraise, when a character dies (and they will, unlike Last Stand which prevents it) they'll automatically get brought back up at 40% HP. The key difference is that since they actually die they lose all buffs. Generally this means they'll get gibbed again in unlucky circumstances and it's why this is considered worse than Last Stand which prevents the loss of buffs. It's still pretty useful though since in the tougher content you are far more likely to encounter ludicrous gibs even with all preparation in the world.

With Astra, it doesn't cleanse anything already inflicted it just prevents anything incoming. Worth noting is that it's smart enough to only get used up when an ailment would actually successfully land so it's a useful thing to have in fights where you know statuses will get thrown at you. (ie Magicite Liquid Flame)

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
Small note on Reraise, it'll be nice for the upcoming Dark Magicite (Holy Weak) - unless you're ultra ready for a 30 second clear and can deal 120k damage in 10.5 seconds, he's gonna Instantly KO someone. A reraise medica might be nice there, and Lenna is surprisingly great Holy DPS with all her MND boosts anyways.

(It also targets whoever has the highest HP, so you can also Galuf SSB through it.)

Edit: Fixed the damage/time threshold

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Pander posted:

There's more than 4 good relics on this though? I had mistilteinn and asylum already but drat a half price pull on at least 1 guaranteed burst just seems like a good way to be.

I mean I've got Yshtola with Wall + BSB and a full legend dive, it would have to be a loving *amazing* relic to get me to switch from that for non-CMs.

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

It's in the garbage. Where it belongs.
Good luck splitting that Yshtola to the three necessary teams to clear Crystal Tower's 220 bosses.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Hello, I'm one of those people who could've done Nightmare bosses months and months ago but is only doing them now bc I didn't see the utility in 6* abilities and want to do Magicites. Here's what I think of the ones I've done so far-

Tonberries: This one was kinda funny, because I got owned on my first attempt, and then I brought Halting Rumba. It's hilarious how badly Halting Rumba owns the 2nd phase, which is definitely the clutch part of the fight. I think the scaling attack on the Tonberry King was hitting me for 2222 or something, and that's with me being lazy and making mistakes.

Kaiser Dragon: Beat it on my first try, but failed to Master it because he never became vulnerable to water and I lost a damage taken medal in the meantime. This one is one of the most vulnerable to power creep/bruteforcing, because you can really burn him down if you have a lot of good mage SBs and magic boost, but Mastery is annoyingly RNG-dependent especially if you take a bruteforce speed kill approach. I'll do it some day when I'm really bored and those crystals make the difference in being able to hone Meltdown again or something.

Guardian: The description and white mages being the synergy class made me grit my teeth for this one, but it was also a first attempt kill with Mastery to boot. I brought ninja Tyro, BSB Minwu, summon Yuna, and Selphie (Dreamstage) and Sarah (BSB) for magic blink medicas. With Moderate+ fire resist and wall the Atomic Ray counters did less than a thousand damage. Ninja magic and Yuna put in work, and it was smooth as butter aside from Yuna running out of hones at the end and Tyro basically having to bring it home because even with full synergy MND gear Minwu's offensive BSB components do poo poo damage.

Necrophobia: Just lost my first attempt at this one trying to do it "the right way". Probably doesn't help that I actively decided not to bring Shellga bc for some reason I got it in my head that most of the damage here ignored RES. Gonna try a Support-light DPS burndown strat next. I really need outstanding damage dealers; I haven't had good luck pulling DPS relics in a long time, and I legend dove Lightning (who I only have the BSB1 and OSB) and Balthier (who I only have the Enfire SSB and BSB1) because I'm insane and prioritize the characters I like. I really, really wish Balthier's BSB1 entry was either Fire/NE or wasn't random target; I'd really like to roll for the Spica on the PS2 banner but it feels like such a waste given that I already have two of the better gets on it (Vaan and Ayame's BSBs) and, you know, Tiny Bee.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Neutral Zone Trap posted:

Good luck splitting that Yshtola to the three necessary teams to clear Crystal Tower's 220 bosses.

I've also got Vanille's BSB, Yuna's BSB2, Eiko's BSB, Aerith's BSB, and Selphie's BSB. I dunno, there's just nothing that compelling on this banner for me when there's so much good poo poo around the corner. It would just be trying to dodge dupes in order to get some stuff for CMs.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

ApplesandOranges posted:

Rebirth revives a character after they've been KO'd. However, they're revived without any buffs, making them very vulnerable to any follow-up attacks. Last Stand preserves a character with 1% hp if they'd die, keeping their buffs but meaning they're a breath away from being KO'd.

They can stack (giving them double protection). Last Stand is generally better than Rebirth, but note that Last Stand will not protect a character from things like Death and Doom, while Rebirth will at least get them back up.

For tough fights I like to stack Reraise and Last Stand. I haven't needed to do this as much since Cloud USB breaks the game in so many ways, but once in a while there's a fight that's tough enough to warrant Reraise/Last Stand/RW wall on the first turn.

Stopgap
May 26, 2003

That's MISTER Freeze to you!
Another banner with Asylum, another time it slips through my fingers. Ceodore BSB and a dupe Eiko BSB/11 isn't terrible, though, considering how many dupes I already had. Is Ovelia's burst ever coming up again? I picked up her twincast LMR last pull and it'd be a shame for it to go to waste.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

I've also got Vanille's BSB, Yuna's BSB2, Eiko's BSB, Aerith's BSB, and Selphie's BSB. I dunno, there's just nothing that compelling on this banner for me when there's so much good poo poo around the corner. It would just be trying to dodge dupes in order to get some stuff for CMs.

Having Larsa/Iris' BSB would be really good to have, but there are two upcoming banners with Iris' BSB I guess.

Also Relm's for a Last Stand source, if you don't have Edge/Raijin's.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Got Ceodore and Porom BSB's - not too shabby, they both have some nice niche uses.

Also, why does FF4 have so many healers? I mean there's a shitload of characters and I'm not complaining, but wow I have 3 healing BSB's in that realm alone.

Ice_Mallet
Feb 22, 2011

Just barely don't have enough damage. Asylum and Hidden Bloom is really great healing for this fight, but even with an Entrust bot and Shout+Truth, Laguna just isn't putting out enough damage. I plan on diving him when he comes out so I should be able to do it then (Laguna gets 35% chance to Dualcast Machinist), but jeez.

(Note: Bismark was at max Imperil, the Wind Imperil is just from an extra Pirate Princess after I ran out of Entrusts.)

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Can you afford to drop Aerith for another DPS? A sole DPS just isn't going to cut the mustard in a lot of cases unless it's an OSB-user with strong support from the rest of the team or someone with a very good USB. It doesn't even have to be a Lightning character (although it would help).

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

1st AD posted:

Also, why does FF4 have so many healers? I mean there's a shitload of characters and I'm not complaining, but wow I have 3 healing BSB's in that realm alone.

FF4 has twelve playable characters; 6 of them are primarily mages, and 4 of those (Rosa, Porom, Tellah, FuSoYa) are effective healers. One could also make the case that Edward, who's a fully supportive character, is primarily a healer since the Medicine command is like the only useful thing he can do. And then there's Ceodore, who's a hybrid of his parents.

By contrast FF6 has fourteen playable characters, none of whom's baseline abilities and traditional depictions in the franchise are indicative of them being primarily a healer. Terra's a hybrid, Strago's a primarily-offensive caster, and Celes is more of a paladin/spellblade archetype. Nobody else gets magic without espers and nobody has a primarily-supportive special command other than Celes (who again, is more of a tank). They basically went with Relm because she was the only one who made sense and they had to come up with somebody to be a healer.

That said, does FF4 actually have more healing SB relics than any other realm?

Baku fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Sep 21, 2017

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
I think XII has more if you count Ashe's SB and SSB and ties without (Penelo SB, SSB, BSB, USB; Larsa SSB1, BSB; Reks SSB). Penelo is also getting a second burst in the next XII event, but Ursula gets a healing SSB in the next IV event so it balances out.

I wasn't considering HP Stocks either, but they're sorta Medicas too. I might actually look into this if I get bored later.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Can I ask why people are still using any res ability other than Arise? It's not that expensive to craft and you don't really have to hone it and it's a million times better than dumpy-rear end Curaise and Reraise.

Every single time I've seen some pubbie goober bring Curaise to a raid it never ever works. They keep spamming it and then the boss does an AoE attack and the res'd character dies and then they do this 3 more times and then use the "..." emote as though they expected a different outcome. If you're going to res someone make sure they at least have full HP so that they have a chance of surviving until buffs can get re-applied.

If you don't have Yuna USB or Arise just don't bother. Bring a last stand ability or an instant heal SB or something. Jeez.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

But but but my precious White Orbs!

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
curaise is good because it does something even if everyone's alive so you can just use it and let the AI do the decision work

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

got revenge on bahamut, 2/3 cm

gently caress that tedious rear end in a top hat

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

ApplesandOranges posted:

Also having a spammable targetable blink is nice for Ninjas.

Holy poo poo I never even considered this application.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

wizard on a water slide posted:

FF4 has twelve playable characters; 6 of them are primarily mages, and 4 of those (Rosa, Porom, Tellah, FuSoYa) are effective healers. One could also make the case that Edward, who's a fully supportive character, is primarily a healer since the Medicine command is like the only useful thing he can do. And then there's Ceodore, who's a hybrid of his parents.

By contrast FF6 has fourteen playable characters, none of whom's baseline abilities and traditional depictions in the franchise are indicative of them being primarily a healer. Terra's a hybrid, Strago's a primarily-offensive caster, and Celes is more of a paladin/spellblade archetype. Nobody else gets magic without espers and nobody has a primarily-supportive special command other than Celes (who again, is more of a tank). They basically went with Relm because she was the only one who made sense and they had to come up with somebody to be a healer.

That said, does FF4 actually have more healing SB relics than any other realm?

In addition, FF4's paladins in particular crossclass into White Magic, which is why Pencil and Ceodore have healing aspects to their SBs. I guess monk chakra is the explanation for Ursula. :shrug:

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.
3/11
Ceodore
Yuna bsb2
And, well

I made a thing

Blockhead
Jun 6, 2003

turtle power
The one thing I had been missing for the past few months was a healer BSB so this draw was great for me. I feel like I got decently lucky too. Which of these is going to be my best general use BSB for healing? My usual party is...

Onion Knight
Orlandeau
Ramza
Agrias
<healer>

Rosa seems great but so does Aphmau. I like Deuce too for the instant but will I run into problems with the attack and magic buff overriding my OK and Ramza buffs for the worse?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Hmm, I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this but I still feel like getting a second opinion: JP's getting third anniversary as pointed out above and one of the things they're doing is giving you a selection of OSB, BSB and SSB per realm.On the one hand the cult of three draws gave me Firion USB so I feel like I should just take the II package and get his BSB and OSB to go with it (and forever solve my relative lack of Magic Blinks). On the other hand, Papalymo BSB for the XIV package is +Fire and Terra would really appreciate having that . . .

• Locked thread