Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

betamax hipster
Aug 13, 2016
If you're not roleplaying the worst kind of bay area hipster you can imagine you're not playing WD2 right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Lobok posted:

The attention to detail in the game is cool. Sadly, Transitions themselves are not.

Hey gently caress you, you can pull my Transitions lenses off my cold dead face. I don't have to forget my sunglasses everywhere any more, that's cool to me.

I've been playing Defense Grid 2 co-op and I love how your partner's cursor shows up on your screen. It really helps when I can say "this tower here" and wiggle the cursor around, instead of having to remember the button for ping.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I'm really really close to beating the optional boss in Anima: Gate of Memories. I can consistently get his health down to his name, which is about a quarter/fifth of his health left, but the hardest stage to deal with is the middle stage, because the first stage is basic spells that are easily dodged, although sometimes he's an rear end in a top hat and shoots a beam at you that tracks really well and is hard to dodge, and the final stage he starts casting his Big Spell which is easy to dodge most of and leaves him very open to attack while he charges it. The middle stage however has him spamming this really irritating claw attack that hits really far away from him and is hard to close in on him with as a result, although the spell that's a long range physical attack is decently reliable. I just need to get the timing down. If I can get through that part with some healing items left over I'll likely be fine.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

What's wrong with Transitions

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
As a person that made glasses for 7 years: everything.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

bbcisdabomb posted:

Hey gently caress you, you can pull my Transitions lenses off my cold dead face. I don't have to forget my sunglasses everywhere any more, that's cool to me.

Probably shouldn't have tossed that grenade of a comment in the thread. I don't personally have a problem with them but I know from others they don't have the best rep.

The modern ones are at least an improvement on the originals, which I used to wear way back in the day. Those things never went perfectly clear.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

So are transitions good or not? My wife has lost multiple pairs of prescription sunglasses so if they're any good that's the way to go.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Note that they do not work for driving, because the windscreen blocks the UV that would cause them to darken.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
You (read: I) always look like a huge friggin dork when you(I) come in from outside and end up sitting at your desk for half an hour wearing shades as they slowly go back to normal.

I'm going to mod transition lenses into New Vegas and they give you -1 charisma when your indoors but +1 perception when outside during the day.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I had some for going to the beach and wore them for work occasionally when I didn't feel like searching for my other glasses and they only ever took like 20-30 seconds to change?

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I think the bad rep is that people think transitions last forever. They have a much shorter shelf life than regular glasses (still measured in years though), the transition part just starts to work slower and shittier as they get old.

I have contacts now but I enjoyed my transitions for years.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Drunken Baker posted:

You (read: I) always look like a huge friggin dork when you(I) come in from outside and end up sitting at your desk for half an hour wearing shades as they slowly go back to normal.

I'm going to mod transition lenses into New Vegas and they give you -1 charisma when your indoors but +1 perception when outside during the day.

Transitions? Whatever, fool. Get magnetic clip on sunglasses and get on my level!

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
No fashion faux pas is worse than that of taking fashion advice from Goons.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Guy Mann posted:

No fashion faux pas is worse than that of taking fashion advice from Goons.

Horizontal stripes are hot right now.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

TontoCorazon posted:

Horizontal stripes are hot right now.

Wear Waldo ®

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Something that's fairly rewarding in games is when you bother to fight super/optional-bosses because they really make you learn the hell out of every system the game has. In my latest attempts at Anima's optional boss I've found out which moves the under-used Ergo has that are actually worth a poo poo, been using him more during the fight because he effectively doubles my health bar, and when using healing items I've been switching between the characters while under the gradual-healing effect so that they both get a good amount of health back. Hasn't resulted in a win yet but it's definitely feeling like a more and more manageable feat as the attempts tick by.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Also I always enjoy videogame endings because they sometimes get kind of silly because by that point you have enough context that they appear extraordinarily petty at times. Like in Xenoblade Chronicles X, with the alien race trying to wipe out humanity, it's built up as a Big Deal, an intergalactic war with a superior race, but doing sidequests means that you are the guys with all the allies, and their tech is poo poo compared to the Ma-Non so even that's no longer impressive, so by the end their nature goes from unfathomable deadly force to "Dudes, you are literally the only beings in the UNIVERSE that are scared of humans... haven't you got the memo that when you don't kill countless numbers of us, we are fairly chill and willing to be buddies. You have some super-destiny that we are the only thing standing in the way of? Don't give us a reason to stand in your way.

Or in a less specific example, any game in which the villain "Becomes a god" because it's always hilariously underwhelming. It's like "You realise you were stronger as a normal dude with a sword right? Until you became a god we literally weren't able to beat you in single combat, and now we are working as a team to curbstomp you because we have all the cool weapons, and you are poo poo at using your powers." I like to think that that's the reason, they knew how to fight when they were human, they had training and practice, but when becoming a God/Demon/Mannequin/Whatever they suiddenly have a completely different skill set that they don't know how to use. It's like "Did you read the manual? Did you try turning your powers off and on again?"

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
So what you mean is that you enjoy JRPG endings because that's drat near every JRPG ever, I think.

Except Lavos, who is eternally Lavos. Maybe that's why it successfully comes across as so menacing, even at the end of the game.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

RyokoTK posted:

So what you mean is that you enjoy JRPG endings because that's drat near every JRPG ever, I think.

Except Lavos, who is eternally Lavos. Maybe that's why it successfully comes across as so menacing, even at the end of the game.

Plus, you can fight and beat Lavos right after learning it exists.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I never did it but one of Anima Gate of Memories Endings is "Kill Nameless during the tutorial, ending the game before you even get brought to the tower of Arcane". Only possible on NG+

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

BioEnchanted posted:

Also I always enjoy videogame endings because they sometimes get kind of silly because by that point you have enough context that they appear extraordinarily petty at times. Like in Xenoblade Chronicles X, with the alien race trying to wipe out humanity, it's built up as a Big Deal, an intergalactic war with a superior race, but doing sidequests means that you are the guys with all the allies, and their tech is poo poo compared to the Ma-Non so even that's no longer impressive, so by the end their nature goes from unfathomable deadly force to "Dudes, you are literally the only beings in the UNIVERSE that are scared of humans... haven't you got the memo that when you don't kill countless numbers of us, we are fairly chill and willing to be buddies. You have some super-destiny that we are the only thing standing in the way of? Don't give us a reason to stand in your way.

Or in a less specific example, any game in which the villain "Becomes a god" because it's always hilariously underwhelming. It's like "You realise you were stronger as a normal dude with a sword right? Until you became a god we literally weren't able to beat you in single combat, and now we are working as a team to curbstomp you because we have all the cool weapons, and you are poo poo at using your powers." I like to think that that's the reason, they knew how to fight when they were human, they had training and practice, but when becoming a God/Demon/Mannequin/Whatever they suiddenly have a completely different skill set that they don't know how to use. It's like "Did you read the manual? Did you try turning your powers off and on again?"

The ganglion were pissy because humans were chosen by the Samsara or whatever to be their descendants while the ganglions were their crappy forgotten creation that was meant to be destroyed and replaced by humanity on such a fundamental level even touching a human meant their death

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Lobok posted:

Probably shouldn't have tossed that grenade of a comment in the thread. I don't personally have a problem with them but I know from others they don't have the best rep.

The modern ones are at least an improvement on the originals, which I used to wear way back in the day. Those things never went perfectly clear.

Yeah, the new Transitions are better than they've ever been. I get new lenses every year with my insurance, so it's also entirely possible that they really start to suck after a few years. Get your eyes checked, people. Your prescription changes!

As for little things chat, I've been playing Monster Hunter lately and I always forget how delicious they make the food look. You're going to eat before just about every hunt, and I appreciate the amount of dedication the art team has for food.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

BioEnchanted posted:

Counterexample: Undertale. Multiple times.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Undertale is terrible rating bait

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Undertale is terrible rating bait

What does that even mean?

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Guy Mann posted:

What does that even mean?

probably "pandering to snowflakes" or something

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
It contains a fat lady who likes anime. It's mostly about nonviolence and friendship. It also does clever stuff with your files.

A lot of really weird morons are super invested in trying to make other people not like/try it. Probably because it won a dumb joke contest that no-one cares about.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

RaspberryCommie posted:

I think that's one of the little things I like about Suikoden 3 for instance.

One of three main characters is female and she looks like this:

for most of the game.

She does get out of her armor for part of her chapters but even then she dresses like this:

It might not have been the best Suikoden but I still love it.

It's great that the Suikoden character designs are generally sensible and grounded but then you get to Jeane and that gets thrown out the window.
Her least ridiculously revealing outfit is a black evening dress with a gigantic boob window. Maybe that's why we'll never get Suikoden 6, they're unable to think of an outfit that wouldn't be obscene.

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

Making the impossible possumable
Undertale is a good game and worth the :10bux:. Shame about the lovely people on both sides of the community, though.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Is the whole "meta" thing explained further when you do multiple playthroughs? I enjoyed it well enough, but then Flowery seemingly pulls the "this is all a game" thing out of his rear end and starts messing with the save files and... Where did THAT come from?

My PC gave up the ghost not long after so I never did a "no kills" run or "genocide" run.

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes
There's one guy who canonically knows what happens between your save games(like if you decide to reload a save and 'delete' the progress you made, he wouldn't forget it) and there's one guy who knows about the saving and reloading and multiple playthroughs but is only aware of what's happened in that 'version' of the events.

There's also a guy who deleted himself from the game that you can find some remnants of.

I never felt like any of this poo poo tied into anything else in the game and thought it was kinda just shoved in to be clever.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Drunken Baker posted:

Is the whole "meta" thing explained further when you do multiple playthroughs? I enjoyed it well enough, but then Flowery seemingly pulls the "this is all a game" thing out of his rear end and starts messing with the save files and... Where did THAT come from?

My PC gave up the ghost not long after so I never did a "no kills" run or "genocide" run.

Yes. Particularly if you do a genocide run it affects the game in various different ways even if you start a new game "from scratch".

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Testekill posted:

It's great that the Suikoden character designs are generally sensible and grounded but then you get to Jeane and that gets thrown out the window.
Her least ridiculously revealing outfit is a black evening dress with a gigantic boob window. Maybe that's why we'll never get Suikoden 6, they're unable to think of an outfit that wouldn't be obscene.

Mainly because Jeane is apparently either centuries old and incredibly powerful, an otherworldly creature, or something else.
It makes her stand out. They always include something that causes a lot of suspicion about who/what she is.

But it did get plenty ridiculous in 5.
the outfit is literally just ribbons

Rigged Death Trap has a new favorite as of 13:46 on Sep 25, 2017

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Drunken Baker posted:

The explanation eventually is that flowey is another 'player' and was the main powerhouse in the game until you came along and took the player status from him. Flowey is a player who would do things just because they could and then reload and do other things, basically using 'reality' as their plaything because to them no other entity in the game was real. So when you reload a game or make a new file flowey still knows it's you because he used to do the same poo poo.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
There's no 'players' or anything, it's the concept of humanity, human souls, and DETERMINATION that allows saving and such - Flowey had a taste of humanity, due to backstory and essentially mad science, and that's why he understands basically what's going on. The other character, however, simply is part of a larger organization that you never see or hear of except for like one reference. I think Flowey explicitly states that someone is 'watching', which is implied to be you the player, but I don't think he ever says outright that it's a video game.

It's been a while since I've played it so I might be wrong here.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Pooncha posted:

Undertale is a good game and worth the :10bux:. Shame about the lovely people on both sides of the community, though.

...As opposed to who? FTL fans? Ace Attorney fans? ...Mass Effect fans? What work even has a decent community at this point?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

RareAcumen posted:

...As opposed to who? FTL fans? Ace Attorney fans? ...Mass Effect fans? What work even has a decent community at this point?

Games featuring Luigi.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

RareAcumen posted:

Pretty much everything BioEnchanted plays, because for the most part, he is the entire community.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Morpheus posted:

There's no 'players' or anything, it's the concept of humanity, human souls, and DETERMINATION that allows saving and such - Flowey had a taste of humanity, due to backstory and essentially mad science, and that's why he understands basically what's going on. The other character, however, simply is part of a larger organization that you never see or hear of except for like one reference. I think Flowey explicitly states that someone is 'watching', which is implied to be you the player, but I don't think he ever says outright that it's a video game.

It's been a while since I've played it so I might be wrong here.

He literally uses save states. it's an explicit comment on how people play games. It can be other things too but it's that first and foremost. IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Thanks for the replies. It just kinda felt like this the first time though.

Jukebox Hero posted:

I never felt like any of this poo poo tied into anything else in the game and thought it was kinda just shoved in to be clever.

Like there was no build up to it. Sans jokes about teleportation and stuff, but I never recalled him saying it was because it was a game or anything.

I'll have to get me PC fixed sooner or later and give it another go.