Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

And by extrapolation, the thing you're doing in the first place must be EM: Electronic Measures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

goatface posted:

Theorycrafted ECCCM is my favourite.

That is what's called "doubling up on standard ECM" AKA the Angel ECM.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions

Leperflesh posted:

Electronic Counter-Counter-Measures?

Literally that, yes. It cancels out opposing ECM 1:1.

When you use ECCM with a unit that's also part of a c3 or c3i network, your opponent will probably murder you. This isn't in the rules, but it's considered standard procedure.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
The most amusing interaction in the game is Angel ECM and the Null Signature System.

With Angel ECM up and Null Sig active, 1 of the Angel's 2 ECM bands is used to run Null Sig and the other does nothing. If you switch that second ECM band to ECCM you negate the effects of your own Null Signature System, spending the heat / etc. as normal but not getting any of the benefits.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?
Yelp. Its taken awhile, and, we're finally screwing around with EC/CM 'Bubbles'; this should prove interesting.

Quick, someone drive PTN insane by switching to that 'ghosting mode' which makes you harder to hit, and is stupid inane to track! :)

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
It doesn't make you harder to hit is the problem. Or rather, in order for it to work you have to be such a significantly better pilot than your opponent that you probably don't need it and can just stay at medium range and enjoy the same to-hits they'd get at short range..

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

PoptartsNinja posted:

It doesn't make you harder to hit is the problem. Or rather, in order for it to work you have to be such a significantly better pilot than your opponent that you probably don't need it and can just stay at medium range and enjoy the same to-hits they'd get at short range..

So you're saying we need to combine our robot ghosts with robot AI to make Robot Ghost AI Robots?

Cappies, go!

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
If that's a reference to something, I didn't get it.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

PoptartsNinja posted:

If that's a reference to something, I didn't get it.

Only my own insanity. And the Cappellan AI robots.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Jade Star posted:

Centurion

Okay I'm calling the lance with me, the bander and two roughnecks Alpha lance for ease of coms. I think we should have a small change of plans since our two scouts have picked the most inconvenient way to merge on our position. Ambushing them on the 0600 road now looks more complicated and more likely to alert both of them at the same time. I say we take an extra turn and let the pinky patrol all the way to 1047 where it will stop in two turns. We need to be careful of Yellow Scout with a probe, but we have two ECM mechs in our lance, so we can double cover the lance and be secure. So my plan is as follows; we take positions about where we are in the 1000 line. Personally I want 1049 just in case I can get a probe on the yellow patrol. two mechs take 1046 and 1045, and someone takes 1050. We stay in a cluster with double ECM coverage just in case yellow does something dumb, or smart, and goes ECCM. We're all clustered under my and the banders ECM so even if he does ECCM we don't get probed. We wait two turns, Pinky arrives at 1047 and we murder the poo poo out of it. Once pinky's dead we see where on the patrol yellow is and we set up another ambush.

Roughneck "Frosty"

This is what I thought we were doing from the beginning. :v: This turn I'm headed forward four hexes, then spending two MP to turn left two facings. There I'll stay until Pinky rounds a corner, and I engage at a range of 3 hexes, with no movement penalty and against +3 TMM for total TNs of 7 plus range (four MLs at 7s, two PPCs at 8s, one SL at 11).

If Korean Robert moves forward four hexes and turns two hexsides right, the Centurion does the exact same, and the Bandersnatch stays right where it is, we can unload with frankly unreasonable levels of firepower at optimum ranges (minus the Bandersnatch's LRMs) to immediately incinerate whatever scout that is. It could be a goddamn Neanderthal and that kind of firepower would still probably drop it, or at least make it easy pickings for next turn.

EDIT: Option 2 is I move forward two hexes and turn around, and then when the scout shows up I fire all MLs and the SL, and then punch its face in on 6s to hit. I'm okay with either.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.
I've finally caught up! I mean, I've skipped a couple of rights, and skimmed some of the later updates rather than reading every post, but legally, I've caught up.

Wow, that took forever. Still, what a ride!

1. So glad that the Goliath Scorpions are in the invasion corridor, they are my second favourite clan, behind the Cloud Cobras, and ahead of the Smoke Jaguars.
2. Thank you for rearranging the Universe so that Victor Steiner-Davion and his siblings never existed. I'm sad you had to kill Katrina Steiner to do it, but sacrifices must be made.
3. I'm conflicted over the Stackpole bashing. On the one hand, yes, it's funny, and young adult fiction can be janky. On the other hand, his stories were fun (especially compared to the second book in the series, The Sword and the Dagger). On the gripping hand, at least he reads well, compared to Thomas Gressman, whose books made the IS attack into Clan-space completely unreadable. I'm not kidding. I've had to look at wikis to figure out what happened because he's such a terrible writer.
4. Your readings of the Victor Milan books is much appreciated. The books were a lot of fun to read, but I had never noticed the subtlety (which I'm not good at anyway).
5. There were rules for the "Phantom Mech" phenomenon in the Kell Hounds scenario book. At least they've tried to explain it. And y'know what, it is also referenced in the later books, e.g. the Smoke Jaguar invasion of Luthien.
6. My first book was The Highlander Gambit. I like the Capellans better than the others. The Liaos were responsible for the Ares Convention and were among the first who were tapped for the Star League. And y'know what, I like Sun Tzu. He's not as clever or sly as he'd like to believe, but he's a lot better than f---ing Victor. "Double Blind" was a fun little read.
7. "Serpents at Somerset" is a must-read scenario in this thread. It's an early mission, the goonLance lost, but by only one turn, and it makes the later curbstomps (e.g. the Demon Hawk missions) so much more satisfying.
8. I'd like to be a pilot. Only... not yet. I don't know how to play Battletech. I have all of the books (collecting them became a hobby), but I've never had anyone to play with, so I never did. I'm going to watch a couple of games in progress, and if I think I can do a good enough job, I'll volunteer, and if I'm still around when my turn comes around, I'd be honoured to give my life for the thread.
9. Who is Bethany Cochrane? She has a comic, she was in the Demon Hawks, and was a Steel Viper? Where did we meet her?

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Sentinel

Calling 1150 for turn 3 unless someone else needs it.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Bethany Cochrane is a random combination of names I picked that i thought would make for a funny bloodnamed warrior spy.

LegendairyBovine
Oct 6, 2014
She's also a sick Hunchback/Mad Dog pilot.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Xarbala posted:

Bethany Cochrane is a random combination of names I picked that i thought would make for a funny bloodnamed warrior spy.

She is a Lyran Mech Reporter, and absolutely not a spy!

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.

painedforever posted:

8. I'd like to be a pilot. Only... not yet. I don't know how to play Battletech. I have all of the books (collecting them became a hobby), but I've never had anyone to play with, so I never did. I'm going to watch a couple of games in progress, and if I think I can do a good enough job, I'll volunteer, and if I'm still around when my turn comes around, I'd be honoured to give my life for the thread.

Don't worry about that. There is a large group of people in this thread and elsewhere that can help you out. Quite a few people played their first game of Battletech here, myself included. It is a little harrowing because so many people are reading about it, but the joy of throwing yourself into match is well worth the anxiety.

Oh, make sure to be polite and willing to accept constructive criticism. Occasional bad things happen to very stubborn people.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Krumbsthumbs posted:

Don't worry about that. There is a large group of people in this thread and elsewhere that can help you out. Quite a few people played their first game of Battletech here, myself included. It is a little harrowing because so many people are reading about it, but the joy of throwing yourself into match is well worth the anxiety.

Oh, make sure to be polite and willing to accept constructive criticism. Occasional bad things happen to very stubborn people.

yeah I was a total noob for air raid and managed to come through that without doing anything idiotic, people are really helpful about the details.

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

If you've read all the missions you should be ready w/out actual play experience, at least that worked well for me in the Nergal mission, but expect a few minor mistakes early on unless you check all your moves with others well in advance of the update. (IRC is the fastest.)

If you get a jumper just keep backshotting and kicking every round and using any special skill PTN gives you. Gives the best chance of explosions eventually. :)

RA Rx fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Sep 22, 2017

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
My take on it is that at least the pre-Darkages stuff (because I never read DA stuff) is that Stackpole is fun to read, but not necessarily good? Possibly could be other ways he could have done things that would have been more good but still fun, but I enjoyed his stuff enough to buy a lot of it.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Night10194 posted:

She is a Lyran Mech Reporter, and absolutely not a spy!

Oh of course, I misspoke.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

mekilljoydammit posted:

My take on it is that at least the pre-Darkages stuff (because I never read DA stuff) is that Stackpole is fun to read, but not necessarily good? Possibly could be other ways he could have done things that would have been more good but still fun, but I enjoyed his stuff enough to buy a lot of it.

Stackpole is a literal novel-writing machine.

He wrote Warrior: En Garde and Warrior: Riposte in 1988, Warrior: Coupé and Lethal Heritage in 1989, Blood Legacy in 1990 and Lost Destiny in 1991, then went on to write X-Wing: Rogue Squadron, X-Wing: Wedge's Gamble, and X-Wing: The Krytos Trap all in 1996. He cuts corners in his haste, such as using author inserts in lieu of character growth, but author inserts usually work for his target demographic (teenagers who really wish they were X-Wing piloting Jedi Knights).

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Ice Fist posted:

I am already enjoying MechGear Solid. Can we please get exclamation points for the clan mechs when they eventually spot the players? Not nearly enough cardboard boxes though.

plenty of ClanBoard boxes, though, which are twice as deceiving but only weigh half as much.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Green Intern posted:

plenty of ClanBoard boxes, though, which are twice as deceiving but only weigh half as much.

Alerted Clan guards have twice as many exclamation points but only half as many bullets to shoot at you with.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Alerted Clan guards have twice as many exclamation points but only half as many bullets to shoot at you with.

They'll ironically try and rush you in melee, because on foot there's more glory in taking down an armed opponent while forsaking your own gun.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

What if we come up behind a clan guard? Can we hold it up, force it to the ground, and the attach a large balloon to it so it ends up back at base?

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Ice Fist posted:

What if we come up behind a clan guard? Can we hold it up, force it to the ground, and the attach a large balloon to it so it ends up back at base?

Where do you think bondsmen come from?

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Not gonna lie I asked PTN if Grappling was on the table and got a yes. There's a nonzero chance I go bearhug a scout at some point in this game to drop its TMM to zero the next turn. :v:

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

When I turn in a hex, is it 1mp per facing turned, or can I piroutte like a ballerina for just 1mp?

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

mercenarynuker posted:

When I turn in a hex, is it 1mp per facing turned, or can I piroutte like a ballerina for just 1mp?

The former.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

mercenarynuker posted:

1 MP per hex side, so a 180 is 3 MP.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

painedforever posted:

9. Who is Bethany Cochrane? She has a comic, she was in the Demon Hawks, and was a Steel Viper? Where did we meet her?

Bethany Cochrane was made up for a joke about the uselessness of Clan intelligence services - i.e. a totally not Clan pilot in a mech wearing a trenchcoat, whose idea of intelligence gathering is to walk up to the highest ranking person and challenge them to a duel for all their secrets.

The thread loved her enough that PTN did a "Bethany Cochrane run" in a Mechwarrior 2 LP to show off some of the losing mission paths. Later he actually named a pilot after her in the Demon Hawks arc, where she was actually quite loyal and competent and didn't spy on or backstab anyone as far as we know.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Strobe posted:

Not gonna lie I asked PTN if Grappling was on the table and got a yes. There's a nonzero chance I go bearhug a scout at some point in this game to drop its TMM to zero the next turn. :v:

Melee Stealth Takedowns! Now we just need jump jet assassinations from up high. If only some of the player mechs had retractable wrist blades.

Cascade Jones
Jun 6, 2015

Strobe posted:

This mission keeps getting better and better.

Also - there's rules for grappling with Mechs? Now I gotta pick up TacOps.

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

BANDERSNATCH
This is going to sound perhaps insane, but I'm think of reversing to 1346, turning 1 facing, and reversing into 1446. That gets me there in walk speed, has me facing the way I want to face to spring the ambush next (?) turn, and keeps me in range of it. However, I can't help but get the feeling I'm opening myself up to a comedy of errors in regards to movement/falling rules

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

mercenarynuker posted:

BANDERSNATCH
This is going to sound perhaps insane, but I'm think of reversing to 1346, turning 1 facing, and reversing into 1446. That gets me there in walk speed, has me facing the way I want to face to spring the ambush next (?) turn, and keeps me in range of it. However, I can't help but get the feeling I'm opening myself up to a comedy of errors in regards to movement/falling rules

You're executing a standard reverse movement, there are no rolls required; you just do it.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Loxbourne posted:

Bethany Cochrane was made up for a joke about the uselessness of Clan intelligence services - i.e. a totally not Clan pilot in a mech wearing a trenchcoat, whose idea of intelligence gathering is to walk up to the highest ranking person and challenge them to a duel for all their secrets.

The thread loved her enough that PTN did a "Bethany Cochrane run" in a Mechwarrior 2 LP to show off some of the losing mission paths. Later he actually named a pilot after her in the Demon Hawks arc, where she was actually quite loyal and competent and didn't spy on or backstab anyone as far as we know.

Bethany sacrificed her 'mech (although she came out of it just fine) to save a shutdown Yul Liao from being pulped by a 4 LPL Warhawk with a pilot who specifically aimed for pilot kills

A Good Mech Reporter

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

CourValant posted:

You're executing a standard reverse movement, there are no rolls required; you just do it.

Oh good. I saw something in the primer about reversing has to go straight back and had some concerns that meant no turninh

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
The only restrictions on reversing is you can only use walking MP, and can't go up down hills.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Unsurprisingly, there is a TacOps (and BattleMech Manual optional) rule for reversing up and down hills.

Also there's rules in TacOps for 'Mechs scaling building.

And also rules for "Intentional Falls From Above" that are distinct from Death From Aboves somehow. (BAH GAWD, IT'S THE ROUGHNECK FROM THE TOP ROPE)

Also rules for picking up and throwing Elementals like baseballs.

Really you could probably re-enact both a baseball game and WWE Raw with TacOps. Possibly in the same game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Yea, I'd played Megamek with those rules for so long that that not being the default definitely bit me in terms of advice given to my team mate... probably 2 years ago haha.

• Locked thread