Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

boner confessor posted:

not anymore we dont lol

sorry your dumb plan is magical bullshit that wont work but that's not my fault so dont get mad at me for pointing it out

you don't, because of the way land use is controlled in the us localities are always subject to dumb state laws and intervention

Just because you fantasize about complicated policy points in your "solution" doesn't mean it will work either. Pretending to wank over details doesn't make your poo poo realistic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

boner confessor posted:

not anymore we dont lol

sorry your dumb plan is magical bullshit that wont work but that's not my fault so dont get mad at me for pointing it out

you don't, because of the way land use is controlled in the us localities are always subject to dumb state laws and intervention

I'm sorry, are you trying to claim that there is no such thing as public housing in the US anymore? Your random, evidence-less claims that his plan is magical aren't super convincing. And I'm pretty sure, one of the points that he's making is that we need to find a way to use state and local laws to do the things he's talking about. Do you have a substantive rebuttal to the argument, or are you just making GBS threads on it because it's cheap, easy, and common to claim all things left of Bill Clinton are impossible pipe dreams?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

boner confessor posted:

create a special gentrification mitigation overlay district which does two things:

creates a tax abatement zones which freeze or seriously delay the increase of residential property tax assessment for original owners of property and their descendants past some grandfathered date

reduces the permissible height and FAR of new residential development, substantial variances up to double or triple the stated limits can be obtained by contributing heavily to an affordable housing fund and or setting aside some portion of the new development as affordable, rent controlled apartments

These are all really bad ideas if your goal is more affordable housing.

All of these suggestions are actually currently present in some form in San Francisco.

Reducing housing stock, incentivizing single-family homes, and capping property taxes (ala prop 13) is a perfect recipe to massively increase housing costs. It makes buying a house basically mandatory and penalizes you for selling one.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Phi230 posted:

Just because you fantasize about complicated policy points in your "solution" doesn't mean it will work either. Pretending to wank over details doesn't make your poo poo realistic

ok i'll wait for you to ride up on a unicorn and save the poor minorities who are useful props for your rumplestiltskin level strawspinning lmbo

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Raskolnikov38 posted:

introducing house flippers to the national razor

They get a special guillotine made from a sharpened quartz countertop.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

RaySmuckles posted:

as for LGBT)

it wasn't obama or the dems that made that happen. it was the courts. LGBT rights are not something i can put in the "win" category for the dems because they didn't do very much to advance it beyond a vague "made it more acceptable." but isn't obama on record opposing gay marriage? i know hillary was. regardless, from my memory obama did not in any way champion gay rights and definitely cannot take responsibility for its success. to me it seemed a much more organic and grass roots movement that arose in states and won over the populace through outlets like the media. maybe i'm wrong, but that's how i remember it. perhaps you're saying that his election alone was a tacit endorsement of the idea, but that seems obtuse at best. once again, i may be wrong, but i really remember that obama was not a leading figure championing gay rights. perhaps you mean more that it was congress, but i would say thats more symptomatic of the ideological shifts of their constituents, a charge that may have been embraced by some in congress, but i wouldn't say they spearheaded it. i openly accept that i may be wrong and would love evidence to the contrary.

Not to mention that trans rights have stalled. The ACA puts protections in that trans-related things can't be denied... if there's federal funds involved, so things from the marketplace and medicare/medicaid/whatever insurance veterans have idk are completely fine, but if you get insurance through an employer, then tough poo poo you play by their rules. And the title IX bathroom things for school only applied for public schools and was only a guideline, so that was reversed immediately. There is the ability to change a passport with a doctor's note saying that everything's good, tho

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Like housing decommodification has been done before in many other places and in many degrees, even here in the US, yet you call something that exists and is still in practice "magic"

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Captain Monkey posted:

I'm sorry, are you trying to claim that there is no such thing as public housing in the US anymore? Your random, evidence-less claims that his plan is magical aren't super convincing. And I'm pretty sure, one of the points that he's making is that we need to find a way to use state and local laws to do the things he's talking about. Do you have a substantive rebuttal to the argument, or are you just making GBS threads on it because it's cheap, easy, and common to claim all things left of Bill Clinton are impossible pipe dreams?

it's called section 8 and it's a doozy. google "destruction of us public housing"

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-35913577

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

boner confessor posted:

ok i'll wait for you to ride up on a unicorn and save the poor minorities who are useful props for your rumplestiltskin level strawspinning lmbo

Do you have more to offer than 'lol nah'?

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

boner confessor posted:

Yeah just what I thought

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Captain Monkey posted:

stories of his infant daughter brutally owning him but that's it

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

boner confessor posted:

What the gently caress is this post.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Phi230 posted:

Like housing decommodification has been done before in many other places and in many degrees, even here in the US, yet you call something that exists and is still in practice "magic"

You are either being reaaaaaaaaaally generous with your definition of decommodification or you don't know what decommodification means.

Which cities in the U.S. do you believe have a decommodified housing market?

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
A major part of ending housing inequality is ending redlining and predatory lending practice but I guess those are magical pie in the sky ponies that have never been done before anywhere ever except my imagination

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Mustached Demon posted:

They get a special guillotine made from a sharpened quartz countertop.

"House Flippers" needed that as a series finale

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Captain Monkey posted:

i dont know what to tell you other than research what is happening to public housing in the united states and who is responsible for the administration of public housing (as well as the incentives they have to convert it to market based developments)

i mean i could write you a book but i doubt it would be useful here given that we're currently up to our next in the leftist firing squad version of nationalize all housing and how feasible that might be

Probably Magic posted:

me making fun of a guy who thinks building new public housing in the current political economy is at all something which could happen on a practical level in the united states

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Maybe it's just a dumb idea but I feel like housing where it's a 4 story apartment, a family gets half a floor for roughly 2000sq ft would be a decent way to increase density and maintain a higher quality of living.

But maybe that is too far outside of my realm of expertise, just that 4 floors would keep the infrastructure costs down

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

https://www.centrism.biz/

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Probably Magic posted:

He's just trying to wave away any push toward policies to the left of Third Way centrism with claims that it would require literal magic fairy wands to enact laws that are slightly less lovely than the ones currently on the books.

It's basically a really lame rear end appeal to tradition.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

You are either being reaaaaaaaaaally generous with your definition of decommodification or you don't know what decommodification means.

Which cities in the U.S. do you believe have a decommodified housing market?

Is public housing not one small degree on a scale of decommodification or what. Because that's the precedent we have here right now. It's not hard to extrapolate an already existing policy, with guidance from other policies elsewhere.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

RuanGacho posted:

Maybe it's just a dumb idea but I feel like housing where it's a 4 story apartment, a family gets half a floor for roughly 2000sq ft would be a decent way to increase density and maintain a higher quality of living.

But maybe that is too far outside of my realm of expertise, just that 4 floors would keep the infrastructure costs down

For some reason the suburban American dream REQUIRES a yard

I hate yards, they require lots of work.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

boner confessor posted:

i dont know what to tell you other than research what is happening to public housing in the united states and who is responsible for the administration of public housing (as well as the incentives they have to convert it to market based developments)

i mean i could write you a book but i doubt it would be useful here given that we're currently up to our next in the leftist firing squad version of nationalize all housing and how feasible that might be

I'm asking you to do more than tell me to do your research for you. This is a debate and discussion forum - offer us some things to debate and discuss that aren't you just wildly declaring that everyone that disagrees with you is completely crazy.

I don't think that's a lot to ask for.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

theflyingorc posted:

yeah, yards suck. they seem to me much more of a status symbol thing, but then again i don't have kids.

if i had kids i'm sure a yard would be great- much more convenient then having to go to the park all the time

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Captain Monkey posted:

He's just trying to wave away any push toward policies to the left of Third Way centrism with claims that it would require literal magic fairy wands to enact laws that are slightly less lovely than the ones currently on the books.

It's basically a really lame rear end appeal to tradition.

i mean i proposed a plan which would actually work on the level of a single jurisdiction and could be done without extensive political campaigns beyond getting enough people to show up at zoning board meetings but i'm being shouted down by people who don't even grok the idea of overlay zoning so i'm just making enemies here by pissing on useless fantasies :shrug:

it's not my fault goons are ignorant and smug

Captain Monkey posted:

I'm asking you to do more than tell me to do your research for you. This is a debate and discussion forum - offer us some things to debate and discuss that aren't you just wildly declaring that everyone that disagrees with you is completely crazy.

I don't think that's a lot to ask for.

friendo you're deliberately asking me to do your research for you

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

boner confessor posted:

i mean i proposed a plan which would actually work on the level of a single jurisdiction and could be done without extensive political campaigns beyond getting enough people to show up at zoning board meetings but i'm being shouted down by people who don't even grok the idea of overlay zoning so i'm just making enemies here by pissing on useless fantasies :shrug:

Kettle.jpg

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

theflyingorc posted:

Yeah I think there's a market for it, he'll, make it 5 and make the middle floor for singles split 4 instead of 2.

I'd like more taller apartment density too but this is where my personal incrementalism kicks in :v:

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Phi230 posted:

Is public housing not one small degree on a scale of decommodification or what. Because that's the precedent we have here right now. It's not hard to extrapolate an already existing policy, with guidance from other policies elsewhere.

Okay, so you don't know what decommodification is.

Partially subsidizing housing is not decommodifying it. Public Housing provides you with a voucher that pays a portion of your rent. It still has a market price and your subsidy is variable based on that price and your income.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

theflyingorc posted:

it's called exclusionary zoning

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

theflyingorc posted:

It's a preference thing I think. Some people (me) enjoy yard work. It's relaxing and decent exercise I guess.

It's about 50/50 in my neighborhood whether people pay for their yard work or do it themselves.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

boner confessor posted:

your poo poo is more of a magical fantasy than mine because it requires people to act and behave in very specific ways only conducive to your proposed end

you just dress it up with hoops you have to jump through and rules you have to follow

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Phi230 posted:

your poo poo is more of a magical fantasy than mine because it requires people to act and behave in very specific ways only conducive to your proposed end

you just dress it up with hoops you have to jump through and rules you have to follow

yeah changing local zoning on the level of a single jurisdiction is wayyyyyyy harder than implenting a cross jurisdictional plan to deliberately build and administrate new public housing

you have no idea how to actually implement your political dogma on a practical policy level and it's just barely funnier than it is tedious

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Okay, so you don't know what decommodification is.

Partially subsidizing housing is not decommodifying it. Public Housing provides you with a voucher that pays a portion of your rent. It still has a market price and your subsidy is variable based on that price and your income.

Decommodification is making something not a commodity. Subsidizing housing is a sure step to decommodification of housing. So are rent caps and the like. It's all apart of the process of decommodification.

gently caress it just nationalize all housing so my argument can be more in line with your semantics

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Phi230 posted:

Pretending to wank over details

Who do you think is pretending to wank here?

Trust me, he's wanking.

boner confessor posted:

Sorry, you disagreed with someone who said they were leftist. You are a centrist now.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Boon posted:

I think where you and I diverge is that I sincerely, truly, do not believe that the US can exist as a country if the Democrats do not attempt to maintain the order and the laws of our institutions and instead shift to a hyper-partisan mentality.

If you grant me that, then the question becomes what is better between a complete societal breakdown and what we have now. If we continue on this way, is there the chance that the pendulum swings back to a more orderly Congress? While John McCain is an utter poo poo, his speech to Congress before voting down the last healthcare bill was at least a moment of self-awareness - even if it isn't to be trusted to translate to policy.

The mid-19th century is a pretty good example of what happens when the good guys repeatedly insist on compromising with the increasingly-partisan bad guys. The North compromised with the Southern slaveowners over and over again, compromising their morals and allowing injustice to flourish all for the sake of holding the Union together. Look how well that worked: every time Southern stubbornness was rewarded with undeserved concessions made for the sake of keeping the peace and avoiding a crisis, they simply doubled down even harder. Every time a theoretically neutral compromise deal was forged, the South immediately went about blatantly violating and abusing it in order to keep the advantage, while at the same time whining loudly about the few conditions they couldn't easily worm their way out of. For all the North's struggles to keep the country together and maintain the peace, it ended up pointless in the end, as the South threw unity to the winds as soon as they lost effective control of the country. A Representative beat another one into bloody unconsciousness on the floor of the House, and the House couldn't even gather the votes to expel him. Was Charles Sumner at fault for being too mean to the poor old violent slaveowning maniacs? Should he have been less extreme and more compromising towards the radical white supremacists who beat him so badly he spent three years recovering?

Political polarization becomes a problem when one party is hyper-partisan. That alone is enough to destabilize the country, and it doesn't much matter what the other party does about it; compromise is only dodging the conflict and delaying the inevitable reckoning.

Herewaard
Jun 20, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
First step would be to remove housing as a profit-seeking activity. This removes both landowners who rent and speculators. As it currently stands, the only people who have housing are those who are rich enough they own their own place (the bank can make a profit of their mortgage) or those who can afford to rent at a level profitable to the property owner.

One of the problems with the Minneapolis housing market right now is city zoning codes only allow for 58' max outside of downtown, unless a variance is given (which is quite rare). 58' is generally ground level retail and then 4 levels of apartments.

This sounds nice except the land values have greatly increased in all the areas people want to live. So when development companies come in and buy the land to build, they have to build luxury apartments (~$1500/1br which is over 40%-50% more than everything else). Any sort of affordable housing is not profitable.

hosed up zoning laws are a real problem.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

theflyingorc posted:

The typical 'yard' is also pretty terrible, especially when it's just an open area of grass.

Small planting areas on patios/balconies are good though. As are 'green spaces' around the building with bushes and the like so it's not just as sea of concrete.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Majumbo posted:

Any sort of affordable housing is not profitable.

hosed up zoning laws are a real problem.

i agree that zoning codes are hosed up in many ways but often affordable housing isn't profitable because of long term market trends. there's very few occasions in us history where brand new multifamily housing is built specifically for the middle of the market or lower

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

boner confessor posted:

yeah changing local zoning on the level of a single jurisdiction is wayyyyyyy harder than implenting a cross jurisdictional plan to deliberately build and administrate new public housing

you have no idea how to actually implement your political dogma on a practical policy level and it's just barely funnier than it is tedious

Actually, I do, and my "political dogma" such as rent caps and similar/parallel policies can and have been instituted in single jurisdictions.

You're just gushing over some process rather than trying to attain a goal. The result of your thinking is a needlessly complicated system that only works when everybody is acting exactly as required and at the end of the loving day it doesn't even solve the problem.

Herewaard
Jun 20, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

boner confessor posted:

i agree that zoning codes are hosed up in many ways but often affordable housing isn't profitable because of long term market trends. there's very few occasions in us history where brand new multifamily housing is built specifically for the middle of the market or lower

So remove it from market forces. Or massively subsidize construction. Or create universal housing credits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Majumbo posted:

So remove it from market forces. Or massively subsidize construction. Or create universal housing credits.

boner confessor: but how will we means test the housing credits

• Locked thread