Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

General Dog posted:

Graphical guide for SEC coaching vacancies

After "not a head coach" there needs to be a box for "was he a Saban assistant?" with yes going to "Hire him immediately."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Pakled posted:

After "not a head coach" there needs to be a box for "was he a Saban assistant?" with yes going to "Hire him immediately."

The chart is also inaccurate because SEC ADs loving love to hire former SEC head coaches, regardless of how badly they actually did at their former school. Really anyone with SEC EXPERIENCE jumps to the front of the line regardless of other qualifications.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
It occurred to me that if Malzahn was to be fired this year, Nick Saban would be the only coach in the conference to have won the conference in his career. Has this situation ever existed in one of the major conferences?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

MourningView posted:

The chart is also inaccurate because SEC ADs loving love to hire former SEC head coaches, regardless of how badly they actually did at their former school. Really anyone with SEC EXPERIENCE jumps to the front of the line regardless of other qualifications.

This one is from the fan perspective, though admittedly the fans also have a weakness for hot DC's with SEC experience.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

General Dog posted:

It occurred to me that if Malzahn was to be fired this year, Nick Saban would be the only coach in the conference to have won the conference in his career. Has this situation ever existed in one of the major conferences?

I'm guessing there were a couple years in the 70s right after Osborne took over at Nebraska where Switzer was the only guy in the Big 8 to win it but maybe not. Maybe Hayes or Schembechler at some point in the 70s too, but I think they technically tied a lot

There was no parity at all in 1970s college football

MourningView fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Sep 20, 2017

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

General Dog posted:

After the 1996 season, Gene Stallings retired, so at the beginning of the '97 season, Steve Spurrier was the only active SEC coach who had won the conference.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

General Dog posted:

Not a major but no current coach in the American has won it. Randy Edsall's two UConn titles came in the Big East.

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

General Dog posted:

When Chip Kelly moved to the NFL, David Shaw was the only active coach to have won the conference at the time. Jeff Tedford just got booted days before that.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

MourningView posted:

what's HOUSTON DALE NUTT up to these days

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Troy Queef posted:

He's got a lawsuit and hilariously ruining Ole Miss to worry about.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Troy Queef posted:

Busy perusing everybody's phone records for familiar 1-900 numbers

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

General Dog posted:

Lol if Malzahn gets fired how many head coaches will have a win over Saban at their current job, 2?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
This is kinda before the idea of 'major conferences' but I checked the Big 8 on a hunch and OU won the conference every year from 1948 to 1959, so that's a strong possibility for only one coach having won the conference title.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Duckaerobics posted:

Lol if Malzahn gets fired how many head coaches will have a win over Saban at their current job, 2?

sadly Charlie Weatherby retired from head coach of the UL-Monroe Warhawks in 2009

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

Duckaerobics posted:

i would suppose we're assuming sumlin is already dead

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL

Raku posted:

i would suppose we're assuming sumlin is already dead

Sumlin's dead, Jim.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
For what it's worth it seems like the Phoenix media is circling the wagons today a bit around Todd Graham. I don't think he's going to get let fired in-season unless there's scandal.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Grittybeard posted:

This is kinda before the idea of 'major conferences' but I checked the Big 8 on a hunch and OU won the conference every year from 1948 to 1959, so that's a strong possibility for only one coach having won the conference title.

I always forget that Wilkinson went like half a decade without losing a game

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Duckaerobics posted:

Kevin Sumlin
Gus Malzahn
Dabo Swinney
Urban Meyer
Kyle Whittingham

General Dog fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Sep 21, 2017

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Go full circle back to Tubberville

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Duckaerobics posted:

Saban wasn't at Alabama yet but Kirk Ferentz!

E: this cheat might literally only work for Ferentz since I'm not sure anyone aside from he and Snyder have been at their current jobs long enough to have played Saban at MSU or LSU. I guess Alvarez if you consider that he is still the actual head coach at Wisconsin

E2: Dang, I didn't realize Patterson had been at TCU since 2000, which was the year after Kirk started

MourningView fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Sep 21, 2017

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

https://twitter.com/SInow/status/910605755254001667

May be back in to coaching soon

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I hope he stays clean, he was clearly in a bad way for quite a while.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Nebraska firing their AD means Mike Riley's all but gone unless he goes on a miracle conference-winning run. Nebraska ain't what it used to be but I'd laugh if they were the ones to pull Dan Mullen out of Starkvegas. It'd mean there'd be three former SEC coaches in the B1G, all of whom left on their own accord, and Urbz/Franklin are having more success at their current schools than their former.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

C. Everett Koop posted:

Nebraska firing their AD means Mike Riley's all but gone unless he goes on a miracle conference-winning run. Nebraska ain't what it used to be but I'd laugh if they were the ones to pull Dan Mullen out of Starkvegas. It'd mean there'd be three former SEC coaches in the B1G, all of whom left on their own accord, and Urbz/Franklin are having more success at their current schools than their former.

:raise:

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Mullen was at the top of my list in 2014.

... Hire me, Chancellor Green

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
Nebraska seems like a tougher sale than MSU. The expectations are astronomical, the recruiting is as tough and location wise...:shrug:

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

tactlessbastard posted:

Nebraska seems like a tougher sale than MSU. The expectations are astronomical, the recruiting is as tough and location wise...:shrug:

It's a pretty soft division though; if you aren't a total fuckup it shouldn't be hard to get back to the 8-9 win level and stay there. That's not going to be enough for the fans indefinitely, but at least it's not like the SEC West where the talent margin between 9-3 and 5-7 is razor thin.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Nebraska should run it back and hire Bo

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Willie Fritz or Troy Calhoun

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
My guess as of Sept. 21, 2017 AD is that Riley keeps the job with six regular season wins.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah I'm not so sure of this either. Urban's last couple seasons at Florida were messy but he still wrecked poo poo there on the whole.

Plus, y'know, the 2 nattys.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Eichorst is owed $1.7mil by Nebraska per his buyout.

Also:

https://twitter.com/max_olson/status/910932462708121600

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

DJExile posted:

Yeah I'm not so sure of this either. Urban's last couple seasons at Florida were messy but he still wrecked poo poo there on the whole.

Plus, y'know, the 2 nattys.

I mean, 2 nattys in the first 4 years on the job. That's starting off pretty well. His only actual down year was the last one.

I suppose you could argue he would have won 2 in his first three years at Ohio State if they weren't on probation, but that 2012 team beating 2012 Bama is a pretty massive 'if.'

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Nebraska should run it back and hire Bo

He's even more of a toxic rear end in a top hat now.

Feels like it's probably Scott Frost as long as UCF is at least a bowl team. I feel like if they could pull someone at Mullen's level they wouldn't have wound up with Poor Man's Kirk Ferentz last time, though I guess they were also hyper focused on finding a nice guy.

Grittybeard posted:

I mean, 2 nattys in the first 4 years on the job. That's starting off pretty well. His only actual down year was the last one.

I suppose you could argue he would have won 2 in his first three years at Ohio State if they weren't on probation, but that 2012 team beating 2012 Bama is a pretty massive 'if.'

That 2012 team got really lucky to go undefeated, there's no way. It's funny that they blew their chance by not self imposing the ban in the fickell year though

MourningView fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Sep 21, 2017

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches

MourningView posted:

He's even more of a toxic rear end in a top hat now.

Yes. (Y'all, google his name to see what's going on at YSU right now)

quote:

Feels like it's probably Scott Frost as long as UCF is at least a bowl team. I feel like if they could pull someone at Mullen's level they wouldn't have wound up with Poor Man's Kirk Ferentz last time, though I guess they were also hyper focused on finding a nice guy.

I think he was dialed in on Riley from the start. I've read twice in the past week that Eichorst also pursued Kyle Whittingham, but he would've been "too expensive" — and that's what makes me skeptical about the rumor. Nevermind that weird poo poo with Bielema that lasted a few hours; I still think that was bogus, given who we ended up with.

Dalmuti
Apr 8, 2007
Please forget that you know about Dan Mullen. He is our arrogant Yankee scientologist yall

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Y'all need to return to the glory days. Hire Niaumatolo(?) from Navy or Calhoun from AF and go full triple option. Or be super nice and do what I saw on Twitter and take CPJ away from the ACC. that would be fine too.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Y'all need to return to the glory days. Hire Niaumatolo(?) from Navy or Calhoun from AF and go full triple option. Or be super nice and do what I saw on Twitter and take CPJ away from the ACC. that would be fine too.

It's been years but I always wanted RichRod to go to Nebraska when he left WVU. The run first spread offense seemed like a natural evolution of what Nebraska football should be.

Unfortunately that Arizona stint...whew. So that's never going to happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Grittybeard posted:

It's been years but I always wanted RichRod to go to Nebraska when he left WVU. The run first spread offense seemed like a natural evolution of what Nebraska football should be.

Unfortunately that Arizona stint...whew. So that's never going to happen.

His last Big Ten stint also, uh, wasn't great

• Locked thread