Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Can't link stuff right now but pretend I posted shots from like the first twenty chapters of Berserk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

mike12345 posted:

Could someone recomend me mangas/artists that are really good at conveying action sequences? I was told to start with Dragonball Z, but there are probably other (better?) examples out there.

e: couldn't find a general manga q's thread

For more realistic fighting type stuff there's:

Shamo (although it ends up getting bad about halfway through)
Teppu
All-Rounder Meguru

All of those are pretty good with action stuff. You could argue that Holyland belongs on that list but it's not everyone's favorite.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
All Rounder Meguru

e. gently caress, beaten, BUT I HAVE PANELS, SO THERE! :argh:

Mikl posted:

D-d-d-double post!

All Rounder Meguru

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

RareAcumen posted:

Kengan Ashua- that's Ashua, not Ashura. Don't make the same mistake I did

It's Ashura; the only reason it's misspelled as Ashua is because the first site to rip it from the scanlators hosed it up and then every other site ripped it off them without bothering to even check, and none of them can be hosed to fix it

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

That Works posted:

For more realistic fighting type stuff there's:

Shamo (although it ends up getting bad about halfway through)
Teppu
All-Rounder Meguru

All of those are pretty good with action stuff. You could argue that Holyland belongs on that list but it's not everyone's favorite.

There's also Holyland, if you feel like also reading about depression.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Sorta tooting my own horn but Shigurui does action really really well if you're okay with the extreme gore and homoeroticism that goes with portraying samurai culture.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

BAKI

THE

GRAPPLER

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

AnonSpore posted:

It's Ashura; the only reason it's misspelled as Ashua is because the first site to rip it from the scanlators hosed it up and then every other site ripped it off them without bothering to even check, and none of them can be hosed to fix it

gah son of a bitch

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

From the OP of my Baki thread

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I like fightmans manga but I don't like how fightmans manga treat women help.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Glagha posted:

Settle for Fullmetal Alchemist I guess.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Glagha posted:

There's treatment for Low-T out there

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Ages ago back in Jr High I used to read a series of novels about a person from our world transported to another, so Isekai stuff has a somewhat nostalgic appeal to me. Reincarnated as a Sword and Knights & Magic are my guilty pleasures. I hadn't heard how bad Re:Monster was but I'm glad this thread is here as I can happily avoid it now.

I prefer the Manga to the LN/WN translations though. Somehow I always get this feeling when reading translated novels that the differences in grammar and sentence structure is leaving out a lot of inflection and detail. Manga still has some issues with that but less so. I don't know if the reason there's huge delays and gaps between chapters in the 'Reincarnated as a Sword' manga are due to long delays between chapters or if there's a lot of chapters and we're just very slowly catching up, but I hope more becomes available soon.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Glagha posted:

Fixed that for you.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Teppu was great and I wish it had been longer.

All Rounder Meguru is by far the most realistic / technical fighting manga I've seen.

Glagha posted:

Teppu has a virtually all female cast, All Rounder Meguru is maybe 1/4 to 1/3 female. They beat the poo poo out of each other just as well as the dudes :v:

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

RatHat posted:

Fixed that for you.

read better manga

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

RabidWeasel posted:

Teppu has a virtually all female cast, All Rounder Meguru is maybe 1/4 to 1/3 female. They beat the poo poo out of each other just as well as the dudes :v:

Also out of the dudes, I'm pretty sure Maki can take Meguru.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Glagha posted:

Just to reiterate

Read Teppu

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Captain Invictus posted:

Just to reiterate

Read Teppu

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Thanks all, some good suggestions there. Someone else mentioned Gantz to me, so I'm reading that now, although the examples itt seem to be more action-y. Has a weird negative atmosphere though.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Hungry Marie

Someone please find out what the gently caress they've been dosing Tamura Ryuuhei with

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

mike12345 posted:

Thanks all, some good suggestions there. Someone else mentioned Gantz to me, so I'm reading that now, although the examples itt seem to be more action-y. Has a weird negative atmosphere though.

Do not read Gantz

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

mike12345 posted:

Just stop reading it as soon as you feel it gets boring or dumb. Because it doesn't get better from there. Same for Shamo. When they're good they're good, but those two mangas have about the worst endings around and some of the worst arcs stuck in here and there.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

People were nice enough to go into Re:Monster's crimes. Is Kingdom also bad? I see that one come up kinda often.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

RareAcumen posted:

People were nice enough to go into Re:Monster's crimes. Is Kingdom also bad? I see that one come up kinda often.

Kingdom owwwwwwnnnnnsssssssss

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

I'm late to the recs I guess but Choujin Gakuen is a short and sweet shonen with some good action.

AnonSpore posted:

Sorta tooting my own horn but Shigurui does action really really well if you're okay with the extreme gore and homoeroticism that goes with portraying samurai culture.

The anime of it is really good too, though more for atmosphere than the action.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Teppu was insanely good when it was around, but had to be canned for some reason I can't remember and had a really bad and abrupt ending.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

tweet my meat posted:

Teppu was insanely good when it was around, but had to be canned for some reason I can't remember and had a really bad and abrupt ending.

P sure it was health problems for the author

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

RareAcumen posted:

Who is the retard who said Kingdom is bad?

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

RareAcumen posted:

Kingdom is Good.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I started reading Teppu on recommendation and I enjoy this manga. I am actually shocked by how lovely the protagonist is, in terms of personality not in quality of writing. Like, I'd heard people say that this was a fight manga where the main character would be the antagonist in anything else and she is that in spades. It's pretty great and I'm torn between wanting to see her win and wanting to see her get her rear end kicked.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
drat, All Rounder Meguru is definitely starting to fill the hole that Teppu left. It's a really solid series if you like down to earth, technical fighting with good female characters, even if it primarily focuses on the male MC.

Shigurui is also a fun read if you're looking for a batshit insane samurai gore fest.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Afterschool Charisma

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

khy posted:

Ages ago back in Jr High I used to read a series of novels about a person from our world transported to another, so Isekai stuff has a somewhat nostalgic appeal to me.

i'd really like to read a transported-to-fantasy-world series where the guy doesnt give a poo poo about the magic stuff and just starts cooking meth

harry potter meets breaking bad

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

where the red fern gropes posted:

i'd really like to read a transported-to-fantasy-world series where the guy doesnt give a poo poo about the magic stuff and just starts cooking meth

harry potter meets breaking bad

Sadly, the perfect name for that idea is already being used by Dr. Stone.

It's not quite meth, but here's a spread of the main character's plan to create the ultimate drug:

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

They swapped Ammonia and Sodium Bicarb somehow. The scan I read had them in the right palce

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Meme Emulator posted:

They swapped Ammonia and Sodium Bicarb somehow. The scan I read had them in the right palce

I used to get so confused as to why dog pee was needed for Sodium Bicarbonate, until someone mentioned that swap in the Dr Stone thread. Though I think cat pee contains more ammonia. If only Senkuu had known, he could have harvested the lion bladders.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Nobunaga Concerto

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

That Works posted:

Just stop reading it as soon as you feel it gets boring or dumb. Because it doesn't get better from there. Same for Shamo. When they're good they're good, but those two mangas have about the worst endings around and some of the worst arcs stuck in here and there.

Yeah, I think I know what you mean. I've reached the first reset, and decided to stop. Still interesting trip though.

Kengan Ashua - Yeah this is action alright. Pretty cool, I like it!
Shamo - This is some dark poo poo. I'll keep reading.
Teppu - it's like the rear end in a top hat antagonist from a teen show is the main character.
Shigurui - not sure yet, kinda violent and gay, as promised.

Still a couple I need to go through, but so far so good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

Just to reiterate

Read Teppu

Teppu owns but the writer got sick and had to end it early... :(

• Locked thread