Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
You all have terrible PS3 recommendations, because nobody mentioned goddamn Vanquish :colbert:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

FireMrshlBill posted:

Someone posted it above, but thanks for raising my blood pressure again... haha

Don't worry, they didn't just take the screen.
https://twitter.com/JanHenrikH/status/910761819060531201

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Not a Children posted:

Beautiful Katamari was a 360 exclusive

And yes, it did suck, a lot

Go gently caress yourself Beautiful Katamari owns.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
I don't hate it as much as a lot of people for the on-disc DLC but "owns" is a real strong word there.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

FireMrshlBill posted:

If that is even real and not a joke, I hope those were sourced from Nintendo and not taken from functional GBA's... that poo poo gets my blood boiling more than it should.

Calm down...1...2..3...4....

If it makes you feel better it's not a backlit model and they probably sourced them in 2009 when it would have been cheap and easy to get a GBA SP.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

fishmech posted:

Go gently caress yourself Beautiful Katamari owns.

I'd rather play Me and My Katamari than Beautiful Katamari.

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

FireMrshlBill posted:

If that is even real and not a joke, I hope those were sourced from Nintendo and not taken from functional GBA's... that poo poo gets my blood boiling more than it should.

Calm down...1...2..3...4....

oh boy you better sit down because have I got some insane news for you: some people even threw GBAs in the TRASH!

and nintendo also made like 80 gajillion of them

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Lol at anyone who gets upset over the gutting of a home game console. Unless it's like an RDI Halcyon or something that literally belongs in a museum because only a handful exist.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
What should I expect to pay for a PS3 these days? My launch one took a poo poo in 2013 (I know because I was playing Ni No Kuni) and I've always planned to get another one at some point.

Tree Dude fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Sep 21, 2017

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Tree Dude posted:

What should I expect to pay for a PS3 these days? My launch one took a poo poo in 2013 (I know because I was playing Ni No Kuni) and I've always planned to get another one at some point.

I've seen them under a hundred lately (assuming you don't want PS2 backward compatibility).

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
I'd also bet money that the medical GBAs were produced back when GBAs were in production.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Improbable Lobster posted:

I'd also bet money that the medical GBAs were produced back when GBAs were in production.

That seems likely.

FWIW, there's no reason why you couldn't essentially use a GBA as a microprocessor to drive a medical device; you don't need a lot of processing power for those things. But I want to know what the FDA said when they submitted it for approval.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Reminds me of the classic PediSedate

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

Manky posted:

Reminds me of the classic PediSedate

poo poo like that and the Glucoboy makes sense

Tree Dude posted:

About $80 for a slim (used), if you plan to upgrade the hdd, then either the slim or the super slim requires a separate hard drive caddy I think that you have to buy on eBay or amazon

rdbbb posted:

oh boy you better sit down because have I got some insane news for you: some people even threw GBAs in the TRASH!

and nintendo also made like 80 gajillion of them

Eh, lots of 101's are getting gutted for mods (GBA's and GBC's) or using the screen in other projects, eventually they will be more scarce at some point naturally, so why accelerate the process. They are already almost 2x the value of the 001 SP's as it is.

wa27 posted:

Lol at anyone who gets upset over the gutting of a home game console. Unless it's like an RDI Halcyon or something that literally belongs in a museum because only a handful exist.

There are lots of consoles that are becoming more rare as they age, so it sucks to see them gutted. I can't imagine the cost savings of designing around a GBA and programming for it over designing from scratch or some other lower power computing solution.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I think grabbing a GBA for that kind of device was probably worth doing for the screen alone, since that would have been an extremely cheap way in the early 2000's to get a decent screen that was color, lit and had a decent refresh rate with no ghosting.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Tree Dude posted:

You can get a 500GB top loader for under a hundo if you shop around. I highly suggest the top loader, because they use less power, run quieter, and have far better cooling/ventilation pathways than the fat and slim models. Plus, they're slightly smaller than an original PS2, so you don't have a loving monolith taking up space on your shelf.

checksin
Nov 23, 2006

I joined the new sensation, the #RXT REVOLUTION~!

:chillout:

he knows...
i wonder if it's an ags-101

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
The secret is that a lot of portable medical equipment was massive hackjobs until pretty recently. Using a GBA probably makes sense because it's a cheap frontlit screen with a pretty good strength battery, and all you're using it for is an EKG so it doens't need to be super high-res or anything.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

univbee posted:

White Knight Chronicles
White Knight Chronicles II

Woah now don't inflict that poo poo on people

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Elliotw2 posted:

The secret is that a lot of portable medical equipment was massive hackjobs until pretty recently.

You just reminded me of this horror :stonk:

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

kirbysuperstar posted:

Woah now don't inflict that poo poo on people

I was very clear that some stuff on my list was bad. :colbert:

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You all have terrible PS3 recommendations, because nobody mentioned goddamn Vanquish :colbert:.

No need when there's a great PC port that runs on toasters.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

repiv posted:

I had seen this before. You don't have to be an engineer to be completely horrified at that build.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

repiv posted:

that guy should go into console modding

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

repiv posted:

Random Stranger posted:

I had seen this before. You don't have to be an engineer to be completely horrified at that build.

I love that guys reaction when he's looking through it

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

univbee posted:

50 Cent Blood on the Sand (has achievements on 360)

It has trophies on PS3, you just have to import the Japanese version.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

Silhouette posted:

You can get a 500GB top loader for under a hundo if you shop around. I highly suggest the top loader, because they use less power, run quieter, and have far better cooling/ventilation pathways than the fat and slim models. Plus, they're slightly smaller than an original PS2, so you don't have a loving monolith taking up space on your shelf.

I paid more than $100 for the super slim I got but it came with the original box, 3 controllers and 4 games. Lots of deals out there on eBay and Craigslist. Problem I kept running into (aside from the usual CL flakiness) was people not knowing the hard drive size.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Please play Motorstorm Pacific Rift for the Sony PlayStation 3. Namaste.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

dishwasherlove posted:

Please play Motorstorm Pacific Rift for the Sony PlayStation 3. Namaste.

This is one of my favorite racing games ever. It's so good!

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I like MotorStorm Apocalypse a lot but holy poo poo is it ball bustingly hard.

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!
I know some time ago somebody in this thread posted a Game Boy cart with special accesory used to run diagnostic tests on like motorcycles or some brand of car

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show

evobatman posted:

Just pulled this baby out of the electronics recycling at work:

Ordered up a scart to BNC plugs adapter from Retrogamingcables.co.uk, can't wait to try it out!

I tested it with an old laptop and S-video, so I know it works.

Hey that looks like the same model as my bedroom setup. Nice find :swoon:

My favorite thing about it is the separate connectors for RBGHV and YPbPr. On my 29" there's just a "line 3" and they share the connectors aka I never play anything that uses component so I dont have to gently caress with it. Shame about the single speaker though and lack of volume control via remote.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Only Shallow posted:

My favorite thing about it is the separate connectors for RBGHV and YPbPr. On my 29" there's just a "line 3" and they share the connectors aka I never play anything that uses component so I dont have to gently caress with it. Shame about the single speaker though and lack of volume control via remote.

send me everything in this picture please, thanks

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 37 hours!

Dr. Dos posted:

I know some time ago somebody in this thread posted a Game Boy cart with special accesory used to run diagnostic tests on like motorcycles or some brand of car

Excuse me it was a scooter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXK8NHum4Zw

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Only Shallow posted:

What the heck, I didn't know Sailor Moon posted here!?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I want to play the Uncharted series and that's it Can't justify the purchase for that though. gently caress you Sony for this exclusive bullshit.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Setup a Japanese PSN account and snag Rockman Complete Works 5 and 6. Rockman Complete Works 1-4 are available on the US store, but you can also get them from the Japanese store and there's no difference.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

While we're talking about gutted GBAs, I have the opposite problem, and was wondering if anyone had a good solution.

I have a GBA-SP, which I had, charging, on a table. And then, of course, like a doofus, I got my foot caught in the cord and pulled the thing right off the table, where it hit the floor directly on the hinge, which promptly went "nah" and shattered. However, while the case is hosed, the hardware is perfectly fine. What is the availability of cases with bad innards/replaceability of said innards?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

hexwren posted:

While we're talking about gutted GBAs, I have the opposite problem, and was wondering if anyone had a good solution.

I have a GBA-SP, which I had, charging, on a table. And then, of course, like a doofus, I got my foot caught in the cord and pulled the thing right off the table, where it hit the floor directly on the hinge, which promptly went "nah" and shattered. However, while the case is hosed, the hardware is perfectly fine. What is the availability of cases with bad innards/replaceability of said innards?

Go hog wild.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 37 hours!
I tried putting in 'SEX' as my name in metal slug but it changed it to 'OH!'.

• Locked thread