Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Baron Corbyn posted:

fair point

I got that part. It's just a boring reason for him to have 88 when KUSHIDA has a more fun reason. Why is KUSHIDA 94 anyway? I looked him on Wikipedia and he used to have a move called 9469 but I can't figure out why. Also is there any story behind the other numbers? I know Tanahashi has 1/100.

iirc one of the ways to pronounce 9-4 in Japanese is Ku-Shi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Ricochet, Tanahashi, and Taguchi are the only ones with numbers that aren't their names represented numerically. Same reason YOSHI-HASHI's gear has 4484 and Ishii's has 151.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

exploded mummy posted:

iirc one of the ways to pronounce 9-4 in Japanese is Ku-Shi.

Yep, there's ways to read numbers in Japanese that correspond to some syllables. So 9-4-6-9 is Ku-shi-ro-ku, or Kushida Lock. Same as mentioned with Yoshi-Hashi, 4484 yo-shi-ha-shi. Some of this goes back a long time, and also the 80s/90s when people had pagers.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Baron Corbyn posted:

I got that part. It's just a boring reason for him to have 88 when KUSHIDA has a more fun reason. Why is KUSHIDA 94 anyway? I looked him on Wikipedia and he used to have a move called 9469 but I can't figure out why. Also is there any story behind the other numbers? I know Tanahashi has 1/100.

the 1/100 is cause he cut a promos about him being a once in a century wrestler

checksin
Nov 23, 2006

I joined the new sensation, the #RXT REVOLUTION~!

:chillout:

he knows...
you guys better not be ragging on the new TAGUCHI 69 shirt i'm buying at the dome and wearing to every show my hometown indie does forever

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

harperdc posted:

Yep, there's ways to read numbers in Japanese that correspond to some syllables. So 9-4-6-9 is Ku-shi-ro-ku, or Kushida Lock. Same as mentioned with Yoshi-Hashi, 4484 yo-shi-ha-shi. Some of this goes back a long time, and also the 80s/90s when people had pagers.

I guess that's why Evil's twitter handle is like a sting of 14 numbers

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

KungFu Grip posted:

I guess that's why Evil's twitter handle is like a sting of 14 numbers

it's 151012 which I assumed was a date (20)15/10/12. Wikipedia says that's the day he debuted as EVIL so it matches up.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
The news is a few days old at this point but I don't think I've seen it mentioned in here: Tanahashi/Elgin vs. Ibushi/Finlay has been added to Destruction in Kobe this Sunday, as well as Beretta's first heavyweight singles match against Yujiro. I bought my ticket a while back so when I heard there were changes I was bracing myself to hear Kenny wouldn't be back in time after all, but he says he's "at 100%," so hey. Either way, please, Kenny, kill Juice, not yourself

Oh also the War Machine/GoD/KES three-way is now a Tornado match, which I guess is fun but there are limits to how excited I can get with both GoD and KES involved.

schweens
Jan 14, 2011

kakarot ain't got shit on me
Did you know:

https://twitter.com/TomBlargh/status/910642442772369408

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
Bully Ray in being a big loving carny shocker

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

The final Destruction show is early Sunday morning at 4 AM EDT/9:00 BST. It's not as stacked as the Hiroshima card as it kinda serves as the "Road to King of Pro Wrestling" show in lieu of the standard support tour leading to the next A tier show. Still, the main event should be excellent if Omega's knee is ready and there's a rare midcard singles feud between Beretta and Yujiro.

DESTRUCTION in KOBE
September 24th at 4:00 EDT/9:00 BST
Kobe World Hall

Hiroyoshi Tenzan and Hirai Kawato vs. Tomoyuki Oka and Katsuya Kitamura
Taguchi Japan (Taguchi, Makabe, Liger, Ricochet, and TMIV) vs. Suzuki-gun (IIzuka, Taichi, Despy, Kanemaru, and TAKA)
CHAOS (Hirooki Goto and YOSHI-HASHI vs. Bullet Club (Bad Luck Fale and Chase Owens)
Beretta vs. Yujiro Takahashi
IWGP Tag Championship 3Way Match:War Machine(c) vs. GoD vs. KES
Hiroshi Tanahashi and Michael Elgin vs. Kota Ibushi and David Finlay
CHAOS (Ishii, Yano, and Rocky) vs. L.I.J (Naito, SANADA, and BUSHI)
CHAOS (Kazuchika Okada and Will Ospreay) vs. L.I.J (EVIL and Hiromu)
IWGP US Championship Match:Kenny Omega(c) vs. Juice Robinson

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009
So War Machine won both of the first two matches right?

Second question, why did they have 3 consecutive tag team triple threat tag title matches?

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

I mean they're the only three available tag teams since they don't like to put more than one faction's team in a match if they can. Only LIJ and CHAOS aren't repped, and that's because the two heavyweights in LIJ are both #1 contenders to the IWGP title (and are working the big PPV in October so they're gonna work four/five man tags rather than risk injury), and while they could run Yano and YOSHI-HASHI or something to rep CHAOS (no Ishii since Ishii is working KOPW against Naito), they...just didn't, maybe because of the Roppongi Vice farewell match being in the middle of the tour.

The only other two teams there would be are TenCozy (Kojima is still in Mexico, I think) and GBH (and that's, well, on hold, probably forever, because Honma's neck).

The heavy tag division is kind of a shitshow.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

The Cameo posted:

I mean they're the only three available tag teams since they don't like to put more than one faction's team in a match if they can. Only LIJ and CHAOS aren't repped, and that's because the two heavyweights in LIJ are both #1 contenders to the IWGP title (and are working the big PPV in October so they're gonna work four/five man tags rather than risk injury), and while they could run Yano and YOSHI-HASHI or something to rep CHAOS (no Ishii since Ishii is working KOPW against Naito), they...just didn't, maybe because of the Roppongi Vice farewell match being in the middle of the tour.

The only other two teams there would be are TenCozy (Kojima is still in Mexico, I think) and GBH (and that's, well, on hold, probably forever, because Honma's neck).

The heavy tag division is kind of a shitshow.

I don't blame you but you forgot Goto who is in undercard tag team matches against young lions and old guys with YOSHI-HASHI as his partner. I'd like to see EVIL & SANADA get a run in the division as the main event is too congested for either of them to really get a serious look in right now. Goto & Ishii would be a cool team, but Goto & YOSHI-HASHI do nothing for me as a team. Their match with Kitamura and Oka was really interesting as it was unique to see the young lion team be the team with more personality and character to them.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Goto seems like Gedo's back pocket Ishii, so he tries to keep him healthy in case something finally breaks the Stone Pitbull so he can just slot him into Ishii's place as "gatekeeper to Okada".

I did forget SANADA, though. But if we're just specifically talking about this tour, EVIL has to be kept healthy for the actual big show in a couple weeks you can see why Gedo is like "uh" and just has him doing poo poo with Yano in these multi-mans.

That and for some reason half the time I don't even think of SANADA as a heavyweight, since he moves better and smoother than like every junior that isn't Ospreay or Ricochet.

I imagine once King of Pro Wrestling is done EVIL will get slotted down to midcard stuff again, maybe tagging with SANADA, maybe working Tanahashi at Power Struggle, who knows.

Also I will hear no bad words about MONSTER RAAAAAAGE :colbert:

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Finally got around to watching Destruction in Hiroshima and I'm pretty sure everybody in Taguchi Japan is great and I love them.

I would in fact go so far as to say Taguchi Japan rules and Suzuki-gun drools.

MJeff fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Sep 23, 2017

Dr. Zoggle
Aug 12, 2006
Go Blue!

It's funny to see the huge turn around on Taguichi over the past couple years. No one used to like him at all around here.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

here comes the spunk posted:

It's funny to see the huge turn around on Taguichi over the past couple years. No one used to like him at all around here.

PSP has gotten much more funky since then

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?
For me, Taguchi's stellar performance in Best of the Super Juniors last year really turned my opinion around. That and the whole Taguchi Japan thing giving him other people to play off.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

he was good as soon as the devitt program ended and he got away from that black hole of heat

checksin
Nov 23, 2006

I joined the new sensation, the #RXT REVOLUTION~!

:chillout:

he knows...
the gooch has been my favourite new japan wrestler for as long as i've been watching
i would never turn my back on him (because he would put his butt in my face when i turned back around)

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Taguchi won me over when he started helping KUSHIDA while dressed as Doc Brown

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
when my brother was in town I watched the show with the taguchi japan/Suzuki gun match and he was really into taguchi.

he's right.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

here comes the spunk posted:

i still don't like him :yosbutt:

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Actually the biggest turn around I've had since the start of the year has been on Yano. Used to be meh on him but his run of comedy especially in the G1 has me liking him more (Just never let him get a IWGP title shot unless it's against Okada)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Actually the biggest turn around I've had since the start of the year has been on Yano. Used to be meh on him but his run of comedy especially in the G1 has me liking him more (Just never let him get a IWGP title shot unless it's against Okada)

What if Omega's the champ?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Anything in the first half worth jumping back to catch up on?

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

The three way tag match.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Beretta/Yujiro was pretty decent too.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Baron Corbyn posted:

Beretta/Yujiro was pretty decent too.

:stare:

Any word on what Roppongi 3K is yet?

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Nope. Kevin Kelly and Callis seemed to imply it'd be a new partner but that contradicts the message I got from Rocky's promo last week.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Nobody cackles in Japanese better than Rocky :allears:

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I thought the clanking was Ishii slapping the poo poo outta Naito before my tire, pot addled fail brain pieced together it was the ring bell

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

RacistGuidingLight posted:

I thought the clanking was Ishii slapping the poo poo outta Naito before my tire, pot addled fail brain pieced together it was the ring bell

If Tanahashi doesn't rest up his bicep it's gonna start making that noise :ohdear:

Edit: That Rainmaker on EVIL was incredible.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Sep 24, 2017

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
great match, the opening Hiromu/Ospreay sequence and the entire ending sequence were fantastic

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
Either they got Evil a new scythe or it looks realer IRL

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

They are selling the poo poo out of this Juice Robinson challenge for the US Title. It rules.

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Cool that CJ Parker is getting the Barry Harowitz push

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

https://twitter.com/njkikaku/status/911880382005485568

Big draw Juice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010