Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Paradoxish posted:

I'm not actually criticizing the paper at all, I just find the articles about it (which, aside from the Independent, mostly seem to be coming up from right-leaning publications) kind of eye roll worthy. They mostly amount to saying that climate change actually isn't all that bad as long as we completely reinvent society tomorrow which, I mean, yeah, I think most people in this thread would agree with that.

Yeah this is why I've been grumbling to myself about how call to action's response here is technically wrong, the best kind of wrong. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

If we can't stop people in the US from literally starving to death and we're 'first world' then we definitely can stop all carbon emissions worldwide by 2030.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Conspiratiorist posted:

Reforestation is not viable carbon capture.

Good luck fighting coastal erosion tho!

In most circumstances yes it is.

Maybe if you use a really weird and idiosyncratic definition of 'viable' like you mean it is impractical on a global scale, or it can't sequester enough carbon to offset emissions, but at that point the factoid is irrelevant to Avshalom's project.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Conspiratiorist posted:

Posting on the internet carries a lower risk of accidentally spawning more humans than going out for community activities :smug:

climate change activists are fuckers while climate change depressives are wankers

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
The worst hot take I've been seeing from shitheads on Climate Change is that its actually good because it's been leading to innovations in energy production :psyduck:

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

achillesforever6 posted:

The worst hot take I've been seeing from shitheads on Climate Change is that its actually good because it's been leading to innovations in energy production :psyduck:

and that is why i thank hitler for nuclear energy every day

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

achillesforever6 posted:

I suppose it's positive they moved up from "CO2 is plant food. Why do you hate plants?"

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

I have a request. Does anyone here have good resources (books, documentaries, online classes, etc.) about desert biomes? I'm especially looking for how desertification and reclamation can happen.

I think widespread drought is the big selling point for telling deniers that this is bad.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Billzasilver posted:

I have a request. Does anyone here have good resources (books, documentaries, online classes, etc.) about desert biomes? I'm especially looking for how desertification and reclamation can happen.

I think widespread drought is the big selling point for telling deniers that this is bad.

Except there is no warming.

And if there's any warming, it's not too bad. It won't personally impact me.

And even if it's bad, it's natural and cyclical, not man-made.

You want something that deniers will actually struggle with? High CO2 concentrations in the air we breathe are bad for humans. And even then you'll get arguments like "it'll take centuries for levels to get dangerous", or "that just shows that living in cities is toxic", or "I saw this scienceman video on youtube that says the CO2 levels will naturally level off".

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

Uh thank you, but I'm not interested in looking at warming right now, just drought.

Like you know Mars is a desert, but it's not warm?

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."

Billzasilver posted:

Uh thank you, but I'm not interested in looking at warming right now, just drought.

Like you know Mars is a desert, but it's not warm?

That's more to do with Mars's lovely atmosphere. It is 1.5 times the distance to the sun as earth is, receives 43% of its intensity, yet on the equator it still gets to 35 degrees centigrade. The next step would be to compare it to the moon (no atmosphere) - it gets up to 100 degrees C in the sun and -173 in the shade. The more atmosphere a planet has, the more it both reflects and absorbs the sun's energy, by reflecting it (via clouds, reflective surfaces like ice) and absorbing it (greenhouse gasses, water vapour/clouds) so it lingers and doesn't get as cold at night by retaining a more constant temperature.

Deserts, like mars and the moon, get hot because they rarely have clouds which reflect the heat, and get cold at night because they rarely have clouds which help trap the heat of the day into the evening.

As to how they are formed, here's something that is happening right now in America: http://e360.yale.edu/features/small-pests-big-problems-the-global-spread-of-bark-beetles - "Bark beetles are a natural part of the conifer forest life cycle, regularly flaring and fading like fireworks. But the scope and intensity in the past two decades is anything but normal, scientists say, in large part because rising temperatures are preventing the widespread winter die-off of beetle larvae, while also enhancing the beetles’ killing power. Not only are the insects expanding into new territory, they’re also hatching earlier and reproducing more frequently. "

If you're interested in the ideal temperature to breed plague insects like locusts: http://birdcare.com.au/locusts.htm: For the production of uniform size locusts a constant even temperature of about 35 degrees Celsius (and that includes 4 AM in the morning in winter when the owner is snuggled up in bed) with a humidity of as little as possible is necessary.

Heat and dry makes for more insects, more destructive insects, and less resilient plants. Which isn't good for arid areas in general.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Goffer posted:

As to how they are formed, here's something that is happening right now in America: http://e360.yale.edu/features/small-pests-big-problems-the-global-spread-of-bark-beetles - "Bark beetles are a natural part of the conifer forest life cycle, regularly flaring and fading like fireworks. But the scope and intensity in the past two decades is anything but normal, scientists say, in large part because rising temperatures are preventing the widespread winter die-off of beetle larvae, while also enhancing the beetles’ killing power. Not only are the insects expanding into new territory, they’re also hatching earlier and reproducing more frequently. "

If you're interested in the ideal temperature to breed plague insects like locusts: http://birdcare.com.au/locusts.htm: For the production of uniform size locusts a constant even temperature of about 35 degrees Celsius (and that includes 4 AM in the morning in winter when the owner is snuggled up in bed) with a humidity of as little as possible is necessary.

Heat and dry makes for more insects, more destructive insects, and less resilient plants. Which isn't good for arid areas in general.

The pine trees around here (San Diego) are dying off in droves. Ditto Oregon, Washington, and BC. This feeds the wildfire intensity.

Kicked Throat
Apr 12, 2005
This thread and other things lead me to try being a vegetarian. Three months now. It's pretty cool. I miss sardines!!!!

Thanks everyone.

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
if you like eating fish, it's pretty easy to set up an aquaponic system that'll provide enough tilapia for you and your family with a positive environmental impact (however small)

it's not going to save the world but it's a step, and fish is so delicious and good for you

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
a few years ago a locust plague swept my region, causing widespread damage to crops. but my property was spared. why? birds. ibises, shrike-thrushes, frogmouths, kookaburras. they were already there because they were welcome there, and all that happened when the locusts came was that the birds had a good season. on other farms they're not welcome, they're shot at and harassed, and those farms were devastated.

there is an essential mathematics to taming the land. but we've forgotten how to reach that equilibrium because we're so fixated on the instant fix, the witchcraft of our time, the alchemy, which makes something out of nothing. nothing comes from nothing

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
i stand here among the plagues with my hands raised in supplication, my lands unmarked, my firstborn untouched. love and humility and balance in everything, i say, love and humility and balance in everything; but nobody ever listens.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

achillesforever6 posted:

Ever since I burned my fingers off I've gotten really good at doing things without fingers!

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

the old ceremony posted:

if you like eating fish, it's pretty easy to set up an aquaponic system that'll provide enough tilapia for you and your family with a positive environmental impact (however small)

it's not going to save the world but it's a step, and fish is so delicious and good for you

Source? Because I just read a LCA placing aquaponic tilapia on par with pork and chicken for global warming potential.

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Notice how the climate minimizers never engage with the fact that CCS is a fantasy in that bullshit, worthless paper. It's very important for them to mantain the sanctity of a paper that fuels right wing denialist while contributing nothing we didn't already know. Basically reminds me of people against Medicare for All from the wonk center.

Don't let me distract from the masturbation over planting trees as a method of carbon capture though, lol. Hope you're throwing the logs down a pit and ensuring they never decay or burn.

call to action fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Sep 22, 2017

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

call to action posted:

Don't let me distract from the masturbation over planting trees as a method of carbon capture though, lol. Hope you're throwing the logs down a pit and ensuring they never decay or burn.
whats the time cycle on that? I know the carbon eventually escapes, but like, there are an awful lot of scenarios where buying us even 100 years would still be a helpful thing (one tiny one in a giant mix of lots of others)

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

we only need enough time to build cities on mars, really

then we can leave this gay earth and

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

enraged_camel posted:

we only need enough time to build cities on mars, really

then we can leave this gay earth and

be Intergalactically Gay

Eddy-Baby
Mar 8, 2006

₤₤LOADSA MONAY₤₤
We can adapt the self sustaining habitation technology we'll need for space colonies to one day make Texas livable again

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Hello Sailor posted:

Source? Because I just read a LCA placing aquaponic tilapia on par with pork and chicken for global warming potential.
i have been lied to

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Eddy-Baby posted:

We can adapt the self sustaining habitation technology we'll need for space colonies to one day make Texas livable again

I'm sorry but Texas colony was a failure.

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10584-014-1104-5

quote:

We find that baseline agricultural CO2-equivalent emissions (using Global Warming Potentials with a 100 year time horizon) will be approximately 13 Gton CO2eq/year in 2070, compared to 7.1 Gton CO2eq/year 2000. However, if faster growth in livestock productivity is combined with dedicated technical mitigation measures, emissions may be kept to 7.7 Gton CO2eq/year in 2070. If structural changes in human diets are included, emissions may be reduced further, to 3–5 Gton CO2eq/year in 2070. The total annual emissions for meeting the 2 °C target with a chance above 50 % is in the order of 13 Gton CO2eq/year or less in 2070, for all sectors combined.
my cheeseburgers :(

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
It's weird, most vegetarians/vegans I've known in my life are chubby/fat. Myself, I've been on the keto diet for awhile and don't weigh much more than I did in high school. I rarely eat beef or pork, generally eat fish or chicken (which has the same CO2 equivalent as tomatoes/potatoes per calorie) for protein.

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
i am monstrously obese and ambulate by pulling myself along with my prehensile breasts like a slug, it is true

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

Goffer posted:

That's more to do with Mars's lovely atmosphere. It is 1.5 times the distance to the sun as earth is, receives 43% of its intensity, yet on the equator it still gets to 35 degrees centigrade. The next step would be to compare it to the moon (no atmosphere) - it gets up to 100 degrees C in the sun and -173 in the shade. The more atmosphere a planet has, the more it both reflects and absorbs the sun's energy, by reflecting it (via clouds, reflective surfaces like ice) and absorbing it (greenhouse gasses, water vapour/clouds) so it lingers and doesn't get as cold at night by retaining a more constant temperature.

Deserts, like mars and the moon, get hot because they rarely have clouds which reflect the heat, and get cold at night because they rarely have clouds which help trap the heat of the day into the evening.

A great post, thank you. It was especially ominous at the end, when the article said all the dead trees would stop absorbing CO2, and would release more as the beetles kill them and they start rotting.

It also mentioned that these coniffer forests will transition into oak forests, then shrublands, then grasslands, because of drought killing the seedlings. (Got to me because I loving hate shrubs.) I guess that's one way to observe desertification right before our eyes.

If anyone else has any interesting stuff to share about deserts or droughts, I'd really love to see it.

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
why do you loving hate shrubs :psyduck: shrubs are great!

it is possible to manage the destroyed zones and replant them with trees that will maintain the moisture level needed for a proper temperate forest, but you need a functioning epa

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

WaryWarren posted:

It's weird, most vegetarians/vegans I've known in my life are chubby/fat. Myself, I've been on the keto diet for awhile and don't weigh much more than I did in high school. I rarely eat beef or pork, generally eat fish or chicken (which has the same CO2 equivalent as tomatoes/potatoes per calorie) for protein.

Maybe the cheese/egg/dairy vegetarians are fat, but the vegans I know are rail thin.

I’m the only vegan I know who is overweight. Of course I used to weight 100+lbs more so there’s that.

I’ve read that Animal Agriculture contributes more to climate change than all transport combined.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

call to action posted:

Notice how the climate minimizers never engage with the fact that CCS is a fantasy in that bullshit, worthless paper. It's very important for them to mantain the sanctity of a paper that fuels right wing denialist while contributing nothing we didn't already know. Basically reminds me of people against Medicare for All from the wonk center.

Give you apparently have no idea how biological sequestration works I appreciate your promise to keep your weird hick opinions on the subject to yourself, thanks.

WaryWarren posted:

If you live in the United States most people generally speaking are fat. I expect that is true of most vegetarians as well as for other demographic groups. Nevertheless, the American Dietetic Association had this to say about vegetarian diets and body mass.

Position of the American Dietetic Association: Vegetarian Diets posted:

Obesity
Among Adventists, about 30% of whom follow a meatless diet, vegetarian eating patterns have been associated with lower BMI, and BMI increased as the frequency of meat consumption increased in both men and women (98). In the Oxford Vegetarian Study, BMI values were higher in nonvegetarians compared with vegetarians in all age groups for both men and women (139). In a cross-sectional study of 37,875 adults, meateaters had the highest age-adjusted mean BMI and vegans the lowest, with other vegetarians having intermediate values (140). In the EPICOxford Study, weight gain over a 5-year period, among a health-conscious cohort, was lowest among those who moved to a diet containing fewer animal foods (141). In a large cross-sectional British study, it was observed that those people who became vegetarian as adults did not differ in BMI or body weight compared to those who were life-long vegetarians (53). However, those who have been following a vegetarian diet for at least 5 years typically have a lower BMI. Among Adventists in Barbados, the number of obese vegetarians, who had followed the diet for more than 5 years, was 70% less than the number of obese omnivores whereas recent vegetarians (following the diet 5 years) had body weights similar to omnivores (116). A low-fat vegetarian diet has been shown to be more effective in long-term weight loss for postmenopausal women than a more conventional National Cholesterol Education Program diet (142). Vegetarians may have a lower BMI due to their higher consumption of fiber rich, low-energy foods, such as fruit and vegetables.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

VideoGameVet posted:

Maybe the cheese/egg/dairy vegetarians are fat, but the vegans I know are rail thin.

I’m the only vegan I know who is overweight. Of course I used to weight 100+lbs more so there’s that.

I’ve read that Animal Agriculture contributes more to climate change than all transport combined.

Animal agriculture, especially beef, is fuckin huge. Cows not only put a poo poo load of methane into the atmosphere, but convert input matter into beef at the worst possible rate of like any animal humans eat. Chickens are way better, but still worse than plants.

I don't think I've ever met a fat vegan, as long as you're careful to stay nourished it's pretty hard to argue in favor of eating meat in any capacity other than "but I wanna".

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

There are lots of benefits to meat eating that take a considerable effort to fix if you don't. Most important imo (and one you should immediately fix): creatine. Not only a fantastic supplement for bodybuilding, there is a huge body of evidence that it's one of the most neuroprotective substances the human body can consume. It protects against degenerative neurological diseases, its deficiency may cause decreased cognition, and it helps with depression symptoms and enhances depression therapy - to the degree that some theorize the increased depression rate seen in vegans is due to the deficiency. It's even shown promise in reversing Parkinson's. (a pretty comprehensive review of the literature here: https://examine.com/supplements/creatine/?PageSpeed=noscript)

If this thing weren't produced in minute quantities by the human body when not supplied, it'd be called a vitamin.

A normal person avoids a huge deficiency... by eating meat. That's just one example, there are quite a few (known) ones. The fact of the matter is, we are omnivores, and due to the inherent complexity-slash-impossibility of complete nutrition research, we probably never will be able to fully identify the things we need to add to a vegan diet to make it complete. Now, whether we should take that small con for the pro of decreased carbon footprint is a different debate entirely, but there is an undeniable con.

Also, meat does taste pretty darn good. Which makes attempting to convert the world from that a bit unrealistic. What we should IMO do is find and push ways to get animal protein for a small carbon budget: stuff like fish etc, where the carbon footprint is about what transport of the food is, which you won't avoid with veggies, either.

dex_sda fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Sep 24, 2017

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Squalid posted:

If you live in the United States most people generally speaking are fat. I expect that is true of most vegetarians as well as for other demographic groups. Nevertheless, the American Dietetic Association had this to say about vegetarian diets and body mass.

I expect vegetarians are more conscious of health and have the personal resources and knowledge to pursue it as indicated by them altering their diets in the first place. Meat in itself is not going to make you fat though. The problem is when you do stuff like coat it in bread, soak it in oil and eat a bucket of oil-soaked potatoes with it. Not eating meat ain't gonna do poo poo if you drink tubs of soda and eat pizza every day so in this case it's more correlation than causation.

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
You're dumb as gently caress if you think planting trees accounts for consequential carbon sequestration, sorry man if you think I'm a hick for knowing that. Trees burn and decay, city slicker.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

dex_sda posted:

Also, meat does taste pretty darn good. Which makes attempting to convert the world from that a bit unrealistic. What we should IMO do is find and push ways to get animal protein for a small carbon budget: stuff like fish etc, where the carbon footprint is about what transport of the food is, which you won't avoid with veggies, either.

lab meat is comin

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Polio Vax Scene posted:

lab meat is comin

Will it be affordable for the masses?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Anyone care to give me a lowdown on the relative pros and cons of nuclear and renewable energy as the technologies exist today? I've had difficulty finding information from sources who don't have skin in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

call to action posted:

You're dumb as gently caress if you think planting trees accounts for consequential carbon sequestration, sorry man if you think I'm a hick for knowing that. Trees burn and decay, city slicker.

How much of an impact on climate change has deforestation had, then? Genuine question.