Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

The Dave posted:

I actually wish the new way Now Playing automatically shows up wasn't so. I have my headphone controls for changing tracks.

The Gillman posted:

General > Wake Screen > Auto-Launch Audio Apps

The Dave posted:

In what way? The old app didn't give you any history right? I thought that was too bare bones. I like that I can see the graph now.
The half inch high graph whose y axis goes from 40 to 150 or above (if you sleep with the watch on and then work out the next day) is pretty useless, as is their “resting heart rate” calculation — pretty sure my resting heart rate today isn’t 42.

I realize both of these would be better if you didn’t wear the watch while sleeping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer

The Dave posted:

I actually wish the new way Now Playing automatically shows up wasn't so. I have my headphone controls for changing tracks.

You can disable this in settings under the raise to wake.

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!
It feels really cheap and an obvious transparent ploy to get users to upgrade. I understand that, business model, income, etc and it's good and ok. But holy gently caress what the gently caress were they loving thinking!

Email Tim Cook like I did to express how cheap a move this is. loving cheap as gently caress.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

decypher posted:

It feels really cheap and an obvious transparent ploy to get users to upgrade. I understand that, business model, income, etc and it's good and ok. But holy gently caress what the gently caress were they loving thinking!

Email Tim Cook like I did to express how cheap a move this is. loving cheap as gently caress.

what

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

decypher posted:

:same:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Does anyone know how to clear playing music from the watch now? Like if I want my Now Playing to just show iPhone stuff:

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!
WatchOS 4 has ruined my entire life.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

So glad I’m getting my watch tomorrow. My S0 is not gonna make it much longer.

Speaking of what the hell should I do with this thing? I’d feel bad selling to someone knowing it has a poo poo battery.

I wouldn’t feel bad about trading it into amazon or Apple though for credit.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

[quote="“Grassy Knowles”" post="“476610834”"]
No. Just wait until you accidentally activate it to find out why, nevermind that it calls emergency services so you’ll also hear the voice of the person on the other end when you activate it, negating the silence.
[/quote]

I don't see how you could accidentally activate it and it already vibrates heavily before going through. You can disable the sound for the same feature on iPhone itself so it's disappointing you can't on the watch.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer

MarcusSA posted:

So glad I’m getting my watch tomorrow. My S0 is not gonna make it much longer.

Speaking of what the hell should I do with this thing? I’d feel bad selling to someone knowing it has a poo poo battery.

I wouldn’t feel bad about trading it into amazon or Apple though for credit.

I flipped mine so some guy on OfferUp for $100. Look for the people that have a history of buying/selling iPads/phones etc. These people usually are just doing minor repairs and reselling. Don't feel too bad about selling them one with a bad battery since they may replace it anyways.

Also I think I read on here that the warranty for battery related issues was extended to 5 years? Maybe have it checked out at the fruit stand.

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

Three Olives posted:

Just get the milanese loop.

I don't know about you guys but I'm really hungry for some ham hock now.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

[quote="“Sock The Great”" post="“476624271”"]
I flipped mine so some guy on OfferUp for $100. Look for the people that have a history of buying/selling iPads/phones etc. These people usually are just doing minor repairs and reselling. Don’t feel too bad about selling them one with a bad battery since they may replace it anyways.

Also I think I read on here that the warranty for battery related issues was extended to 5 years? Maybe have it checked out at the fruit stand.
[/quote]

Good idea I’ll do that.

Yeah I already went to da fruit stand but their diagnostic said the battery was fine even though it only lasts 12 hours.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Does anyone know why the sunrise / sunset time doesn't work since I upgraded to watchOS 4? I restarted my watch and Apple Watch Faces can use Location Services in my phone's settings.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Endless Mike posted:

Oh, okay, I get it now. This is neither an improvement or crippling since before, trying to browse my library would just go to a long spinner, and when finally loaded, was so slow as to be useless, which is why I never used the Music app on my Watch. Now there's just not much to browse. :shrug:

I legitimately have never played music on my phone via my watch because of that. Plus navigating a very large library on that small screen is not especially more convenient than just grabbing my phone, since all the previous watches needed the phone anyway.

I'm guessing the full library view exists on the series 3, but it wouldn't surprise me if the intent is to really use siri anyway because of the tiny screen problem.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A GROWNUP WHO FUCKS A REAL DOLL
But I don’t use Siri. It’s disabled in all my stuff. Let me scroll.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

MrBond posted:

I legitimately have never played music on my phone via my watch because of that. Plus navigating a very large library on that small screen is not especially more convenient than just grabbing my phone, since all the previous watches needed the phone anyway.

I'm guessing the full library view exists on the series 3, but it wouldn't surprise me if the intent is to really use siri anyway because of the tiny screen problem.

Ill just grab my phone out of my elestic workout band from the small of my back, convenient!

Wait... thats what im doing right now and I dont have my watch yet. :mad:

I can already talk to Siri with my airpods. Why the gently caress did I buy this thing?

The library view does not exist apparently.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The LTE box is different than the other models and that's making me angry. Anyways, got my watch. Activating it with T-Mobile took no time and the restore to backup also was just a few minutes.

I'll play with LTE today but at a quick glance Music is still just what you've synced. So the whole Apple Music on the watch is... hoping you can ask Siri for a song/album?

EDIT: I took my watch to a couple of job sites this morning and left my phone in the office. Watch worked snappy as hell for directions, a quick phone call, and a ton of texting (using dictation). The one thing it didn't do at all was Music (since none was synced) and it didn't pair/connect to my AirPods which I thought it was supposed to just magically add the watch to devices it can connect to. This led to me trying to find some semblance of Bluetooth controls on the watch and there's none.

So yeah, I've no idea how to actually listen to music over LTE because at first glance the option isn't there at all. Once I synced a couple of songs it did pick up on my AirPods, though.

EDIT10000: just found online the music over LTE isn't available yet and will actually roll out at some point next month. So that sucks.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Sep 22, 2017

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

Grimey Drawer
So I emailed Tim Cook regarding my charger issue (none in the box with my refurb S2) and got a call back from their executive response team this morning. Originally customer service said I had to return the entire watch, then they would send me a replacement (hopefully) with a charger in the box. I thought this was insane since the charger is an off the shelf part. They could easily just send me a charger or just send me a gift card to cover the cost.

Sent Tim the following email:

Hi Tim,

Picked up my refurbished S2 Watch yesterday (order XXXXXXXX) and was surprised to see that a charger was not included in the box. This seemed off to me so I called this morning and was told by the CSR that "yes, refurbished Apple Watches do not include a magnetic charger".

So I went and checked the listing again and it definitely states that an Apple Watch includes a charger in the box. Contacted support again via chat, and was told again that a charger is not included. So I sent the CSR a link to the listing which stated that a charger is included in the box.

Representative agreed that a charger should have been included. I was told that the only way to process this was to return the entire watch, then have another one resent to me. Total process could take a week or more (not to mention being without my watch for some time). This doesn't seem very efficient considering this is an off the shelf item. Is there a way I could just be sent a charger separately, or issue me a $30 gift card to cover the cost?

I have a return number of XXXXXXXX, but I would really prefer to settle this with a gift card or have one sent. Please let me know if there is anything you can do.

Best Regards,

Andrew

Was shocked to actually get a response to this. Getting a charger sent next day.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Sock The Great posted:

Was shocked to actually get a response to this. Getting a charger sent next day.

Thats actually really awesome.

Also still waiting for drat Fed Ex for my new watch but I did get that knock off Nike band from amazon and it actually feels really nice.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

GoldfishStew posted:

You literally can’t play music that’s not synced to the watch

I don't care about that ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
I picked up my SBSS S3 this morning, a few quick observations/notes coming from a longtime watch owner (S0 SS/S2 SBSS/S3-LTE SBSS).

The red dot is triggering me because it is brighter than the pictures would lead me to believe, but its also shiny and high quality looking like the existing black dots for the stainless. I ordered some WatchDots and I'll probably put one on the crown unless I get used to it and stop REEEEEEEEEing.

LTE activation was pretty simple, its done in the apple watch pairing app on the iPhone, it brings up an in-app web connection to your existing carrier where you can review your plan, make changes and see the $55 credit ($25 activation fee, 3x $10/mo device cost comp'd) being applied. I don't know if I'm going to keep it after the 3 month period but I'll try it out I guess! One of my coworkers is getting his S3-LTE activated today as well, so we will try out making watch to watch LTE calls AND IT WILL BE LIKE THE FUTURE THAT DICK TRACEY PROPHESIZED.

The S3 is also holy gently caress fast, even compared to my S2. There is no delay on anything, changing watch faces, checking notifications, force touching to bring up the secondary menu, pulling up my frequently used apps they are just instant. Its like the S0 ran at 30fps, the S2 ran at 60fps with slight lag, and the S3 runs at 120fps with Gsync.

The new "explorer" face is a little lackluster, its like a chubbier utility that has some green dots showing LTE signal strength. Both chronograph, simple and utility look better and the place where the dots show could really be added to almost every single watch face.

I cleaned my S2 and took a bunch of lovely close up pictures with my 7+ to show how a 1 year old Space Black "weathers" compared to a brand new S3. It doesn't. I wear mine every day and have never put any kind of protector or anything on it, I don't baby it or do anything different at all, I even take it out on the beach and stuff when I'm on vacation. Space Black is the best black, Apple really should apply this tDLC coating to the iPhone X black steel band, it would look and feel great and be invulnerable to boot.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Run a marathon and tell me if it lasts the whole race with LTE enabled. Tia.

Also, I assume it shows up in Find my Friends?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Also, I assume it shows up in Find my Friends?

Playing soccer and tracking it in Strava for 90 minutes this week on my S2 left me with 17% battery. This battery much better? Can't imagine it with streaming LTE music.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

S0 barely lasts a marathon with the workout app. But what in the world would you need LTE for during a marathon anyway? Time to catch up on those important calls?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Agronox posted:

S0 barely lasts a marathon with the workout app. But what in the world would you need LTE for during a marathon anyway? Time to catch up on those important calls?

To listen to music that is offered by Apple Music. This is not a stretch of the imagination by any means.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Any good deals on S1s or 2s?

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

Grimey Drawer

SeANMcBAY posted:

Any good deals on S1s or 2s?

The S2 refurbs were $279 (42mm) through Apple last week.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Grassy Knowles posted:

To listen to music that is offered by Apple Music. This is not a stretch of the imagination by any means.

Save it locally then. Seems bonkers to expect something the size of a watch to give you 3.5+ hours of LTE streaming plus fitness tracking on one charge.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Sock The Great posted:

The S2 refurbs were $279 (42mm) through Apple last week.

Thanks. That's pretty tempting.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
quote="Agronox" post="476657180"]
Save it locally then. Seems bonkers to expect something the size of a watch to give you 3.5+ hours of LTE streaming plus fitness tracking on one charge.
[/quote]

Okay so how about wanting to get notifications without hauling your phone along?
Text messages?
How about wanting to track your run and then make a phone call when you're done to decide where to meet.

Again, no stretch of the imagination.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

Grimey Drawer

SeANMcBAY posted:

Thanks. That's pretty tempting.

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/FP032/refurbished-apple-watch-series-1-42mm-space-gray-aluminum-case-with-black-sport-band

$239 for a S1 if you don't care about waterproofing or GPS. The cheapest S2 is stainless at $469.

I really think this S2 refurb I received might be brand new though, there isn't a nick or scratch on it.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The current marathon world record is 2 hours and change. You can easily stream LTE music and track your pace with GPS and not worry about battery :smug:

GPS+LTE workout is 4 hours I think. If you have your music stored locally and only use LTE for notifications or a quick call I think you can get through it. So basically you now have a good motivation to get better at running!

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Sep 22, 2017

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Anyone know how much used great condition 0s are going for?

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Grassy Knowles posted:

Okay so how about wanting to get notifications without hauling your phone along?
Text messages?
How about wanting to track your run and then make a phone call when you're done to decide where to meet.

Again, no stretch of the imagination.

Well, look, if you're trying to find reasons why anything sucks you will always find them.

But I am literally the use case the other guy described (a music-listening marathoner) and I've been happy with the S0.

The answer for all your questions above is to not run LTE for 200 minutes straight unless you absolutely need to. Just turn it off until the end of your run unless you really need it for something.

Or leave it on if you're doing a half or shorter, Jesus how many loving marathons do you run anyway?

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!
If I cant be on a conference call for the duration of a marathon what's the point of anything?

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer
Is it really that much effort to pre-load your music onto the watch anyway?

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

[quote="“Sock The Great”" post="“476657478”"]
https://www.apple.com/shop/product/FP032/refurbished-apple-watch-series-1-42mm-space-gray-aluminum-case-with-black-sport-band

$239 for a S1 if you don’t care about waterproofing or GPS. The cheapest S2 is stainless at $469.

I really think this S2 refurb I received might be brand new though, there isn’t a nick or scratch on it.
[/quote]

It very well may have had the shell replaced. I've never heard of Apple refurbed products being any less than "better than new" (since they replace any wear & tear items, and then test them.)

Frabba
May 30, 2008

Investing in chewy toy futures
My S3 really does not want to restore the backup from my S0.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Smashing Link posted:

Is it really that much effort to pre-load your music onto the watch anyway?

If I'm a dirty spotify user and don't keep any music in iTunes is there a way? Can I import any of my old tracks into iTunes and sync to my iPhone and then to my Apple watch?

God that was painful just typing it out. Please god, get a Spotify app on the watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

TraderStav posted:

If I'm a dirty spotify user and don't keep any music in iTunes is there a way? Can I import any of my old tracks into iTunes and sync to my iPhone and then to my Apple watch?

God that was painful just typing it out. Please god, get a Spotify app on the watch.

You can do this. It seems you must add by either album or playlist though.

• Locked thread