Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Very few people I've talked to have much of a problem with the pod race, it's usually more like "Episode I sucked, the pod-race was pretty good but one scene can't save a whole movie".

The pod race is just technically great movie making and you can't really argue otherwise. It's another example of some of the lessons learned from Kurosawa(and of course Ben-Hur as well in this case).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

euphronius posted:

He was the stand in for the Roman magistrate or emperor in a chariot or gladiator scene. Who else could it have been . Another Hutt I guess.

Traditionally a high level magistrate or the emperor would start chariot races and so did Jabba.

I guess, but we're not in Rome, we're on another planet. I suppose it does more to link the scene to something we may be more familiar with, I just don't see the need for it when one of the most common complaints is that the whole scene is too long. Jabba and (presumably) Bib Fortuna are unneeded set dressing, to me.

Serf
May 5, 2011

I feel weird because I like TPM but on a recent rewatch the pod race was like the low point of the film for me. Even more odd because I don't remember disliking it in the past.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

THat was definitely Hollywood Rome. 100%.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

How do you mean "unneeded"

What's an example of something that was "needed"

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Waffles Inc. posted:

How do you mean "unneeded"

What's an example of something that was "needed"

As I said earlier, I feel that if you were to take Jabba out of the scene, you wouldn't lose much other than, "Hey, I know that guy!" The scene would still play out the same for all the characters we're following, the similarities to Roman chariot races is already inherently obvious, and his moments aren't particularly funny or relevant to any themes or plot points. He's just there to reinforce the chariot race parallel and to show us a character we already know, a cameo.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

thrawn527 posted:

I guess, but we're not in Rome, we're on another planet. I suppose it does more to link the scene to something we may be more familiar with, I just don't see the need for it when one of the most common complaints is that the whole scene is too long. Jabba and (presumably) Bib Fortuna are unneeded set dressing, to me.

The best part about the pod race is Jabba's lack of interest in it, to the point where he rather plays with his food than watching it. Which is pretty much my reaction to the pod race.

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

e: already posted

Fake E: Tune in to Vikings/Bears anyways, they're letting one of the new aliens play QB for the Bears.

Cash Monet fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Sep 21, 2017

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Podracing is more Nascar than chariots imo.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Serf posted:

I feel weird because I like TPM but on a recent rewatch the pod race was like the low point of the film for me. Even more odd because I don't remember disliking it in the past.

It's so long.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

That's what Sheev said

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Cash Monet posted:

e: already posted

Fake E: Tune in to Vikings/Bears anyways, they're letting one of the new aliens play QB for the Bears.

Pictured: a dude who somehow ended up with $25+ million in his bank account.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I think the podrace itself is cool and good but the problem is its long and already at a time in the movie where im like gently caress get off this planet and move poo poo along already.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

banned from Starbucks posted:

I think the podrace itself is cool and good but the problem is its long and already at a time in the movie where im like gently caress get off this planet and move poo poo along already.

This but the entire first third of RotJ

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

thrawn527 posted:

As I said earlier, I feel that if you were to take Jabba out of the scene, you wouldn't lose much other than, "Hey, I know that guy!" The scene would still play out the same for all the characters we're following, the similarities to Roman chariot races is already inherently obvious, and his moments aren't particularly funny or relevant to any themes or plot points. He's just there to reinforce the chariot race parallel and to show us a character we already know, a cameo.

I think maybe what you're getting at (if I may), is that one of the common complaints about the prequels is that Lucas appears to shoehorn a lot of characters (or references to characters) from the OT into the PT, which makes the galaxy feel especially small (or at least that the most important events in galactic history over the span of 30 years seem to always involve the same several dozen people). I think that almost every example of an OT character returning is good, but I do agree that in this specific instance, and a few others, it does make the galaxy feel a little claustrophobic.

One of the examples that people point out most readily is young Boba Fett, though I think there's ample evidence that his presence isn't merely for "fan service" and it does add something (at least on a thematic level) to the story. Whereas, specifically in Jabba's case, because he doesn't have any dialogue, and doesn't function as part of the plot or story, it does feel like a plug-in to please people. I think the scene would've worked better with someone unfamiliar occupying the role that Jabba plays.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

See, I quite like Jabba's cameo, because it really makes him feel like an institution of Tatooine. He's not just an obstacle that shows up at the end of the saga to give Luke something to do in the first half of ROTJ, he's a hugely important part of Tatooine society who's been around since the days of the Old Republic (and who was a big deal even then, so he's been around longer than the saga itself). It's not "necessary" in a plot sense - you could easily tell TPM's story without him - but I think it's a really cool addition to Jabba's character and the sense of Tatooine as a place. I'd actually put it as one of the better OT cameos.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

He's also referenced by Qui Jon after the race and the reference plus his appearance tell us a lot about how society works there .

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I had no idea that the Han Solo prequel is supposed to come out in May. That seems very soon considering they fired the directors and I believe they also changed some casting mid-filming?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

FlamingLiberal posted:

I had no idea that the Han Solo prequel is supposed to come out in May. That seems very soon considering they fired the directors and I believe they also changed some casting mid-filming?

High potential to be the first bad Star Wars movie

I'm worried .

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

FlamingLiberal posted:

Ron Howard is known to be a workhorse, so the timeline should still work. And they only changed one cast member, due to unavailability for reshoots

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

euphronius posted:

High potential to be the first bad Star Wars movie

I'm worried .

Too late that goes to Rogue One

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The sequel to the movie in which Jabba is assassinated depicts him, briefly, at the height of his power. Retroactively it makes it so that the objective of Luke's raid was not merely to storm the hideout of some gangster, but to overthrow the ruler of his home planet. It is the capstone on the film's depiction of Tatooine. This also adds to the characterization of Owen, softening further its criticism of his attempts to remain apolitical and live with the Empire, in that its rise did not bring much change to the world; it's just always been like that.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
That's a neat reading, but I always enjoyed the depiction of Jabba as almost a species of one, the counterpoint to Yoda. Knowing that Tatooine is controlled by "the Hutts" as Panaka put it, makes it seem as though Jabba is just one at least a handful of criminals running a syndicate on that planet. The fact that people know of the Hutt's reputation beyond the backwater system of Tatooine suggests that they are either not from Tatooine, or that Tatooine has been made famous for its crime).

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I'm pretty sure Jabba's dad is also in the establishing shots in the podrace. Of course, don't they show a second member of Yoda's species at some point, too?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Bongo Bill posted:

I'm pretty sure Jabba's dad is also in the establishing shots in the podrace. Of course, don't they show a second member of Yoda's species at some point, too?

Iirc there is a second hutt in the traditional Roman emperor box seat

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Bongo Bill posted:

There's a female Yodarian (I made this up) on the council in episode 1.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Panaka is just a clueless racist. Hes just repeating what hes heard about a planet hes never been to. Which is why he stays on the ship. Its like saying We cant take her majesty to Hollywood its controlled by the Jews.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Zoran posted:

There's a female Yodarian (I made this up) on the council in episode 1.

Yoda's species is still canonically only known as "Yoda's Species". It's an odd thing

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

jivjov posted:

Yoda's species is still canonically only known as "Yoda's Species". It's an odd thing

See, this is the type of canon esoterica worth posting.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Don't get me started on how many toes Yoda has...

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
The Unknown Race of Gender Master Yoda.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Panaka is just a clueless racist. Hes just repeating what hes heard about a planet hes never been to. Which is why he stays on the ship. Its like saying We cant take her majesty to Hollywood its controlled by the Jews.

But the Queen is a Jew!

My god...

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I hope that in the Obiwan spinoff, he visits his canonical home planet, Stewjon.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Too late that goes to Rogue One The Force Awakens

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Detective No. 27 posted:

I hope that in the Obiwan spinoff, he visits his canonical home planet, Stewjon.

quote:

Lucas jokingly replied that it was "Stewjon," a tuckerization of Stewart's name.[2] The official StarWars.com Encyclopedia entry on Obi-Wan Kenobi later listed Stewjon as Kenobi's homeworld.[1]

lol

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Davros1 posted:

Too late that goes to The Force Awakens The Empire Strikes Back

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
In the movie they can pronounced it "Stay-yoon" or something and get away with it.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I saw it on a trading card or figure or something at a store once too.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Yaddle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Yaddle fucks.

• Locked thread