Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
It's just now occurring to Worf that sending his son away right after his mom died might have upset him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Wheat Loaf posted:

I was listening to a podcast earlier where they alluded to (but didn't go into detail about) the people who made Star Trek games suing Star Trek about 10 years ago for being so uninteresting they were hurting their ability to develop and sell games. Is that true at all?

Yeah, Activision sued Viacom back in 2003 over how bad Paramount was running the franchise, because Activision had paid for the rights to make Star Trek games. They settled out of court in 2005.

Of course now the shoe's on the other foot and I think the last half-decent Trek game to come out might have been fuckin' Bridge Commander. My recollection is that the shooter based on 2009Trek was a buggy pile of hot dogshit, and most everything else since has been shameless shovelware.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Riker sexually harassing a chair again

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Everything went wrong in the worst possible way it could for Alexander

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Yeah, Activision sued Viacom back in 2003 over how bad Paramount was running the franchise, because Activision had paid for the rights to make Star Trek games. They settled out of court in 2005.

Of course now the shoe's on the other foot and I think the last half-decent Trek game to come out might have been fuckin' Bridge Commander. My recollection is that the shooter based on 2009Trek was a buggy pile of hot dogshit, and most everything else since has been shameless shovelware.

At least Bridge Crew is novel shovelware. If it had a campaign or even scenarios it might be worth some money!

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Oh the "everything goes wrong for Alexander" saga is only just beginning!

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Worf just became one of those mythological women who lift cars off their kids

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It should be so easy to make a Star Trek sim mobile game with loot boxes and just make a poo poo ton of money

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Episode over. Didn't seem like Worf and Alexander actually resolved their issues completely. I guess they're saving it for later eps.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

God late TNG Season 7 has some really funny premises, like Worf's son is so unhappy that he travels back in time to kill himself and The Ferengi try to convince Picard that he has a son, so that he'll be sad when they say they've killed him. And the second-to-last episode is a weird choice; a regular guest character leaves in disgrace and everybody is shaken.

TNG season 7 is a lot like Voyager. You have silly episodes with out-there scifi themes like Genesis, scraping-the-barrel episodes like Bloodlines where the story is pointless, and bizarre high concept episodes like Journey's End and Emergence that have some big ideas but don't quite land.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Sep 21, 2017

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

"It's okay. I wouldn't remember me either."
The problem with Voyager is that I don't give a poo poo about most of the characters for all 7 seasons.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

*Checks thread, sees 30+ new posts*

*Jeb! doing some variation of "lol" / "what is happening" / "this is dumb" / "wait what" / "oh go to hell" *

gently caress's sake, man. There's liveposting and then there's hooooly gently caress, settle down.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

The lawsuit actually brought to light how weird the game rights licenses were. Right now, STO exists in a happy place, which is the worst of worst worlds.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Timby posted:

*Jeb! doing some variation of "lol" / "what is happening" / "this is dumb" / "wait what" / "oh go to hell" *

gently caress's sake, man. There's liveposting and then there's hooooly gently caress, settle down.

It's real, new content about TNG. Don't discourage it. Scroll past or even ignore list him if you hate it. It's good.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Timby posted:

The lawsuit actually brought to light how weird the game rights licenses were. Right now, STO exists in a happy place, which is the worst of worst worlds.

What Jeb! is doing is cool and good.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
Go Jeb go

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Al Borland Corp. posted:

It should be so easy to make a Star Trek sim mobile game with loot boxes and just make a poo poo ton of money

That already exists:

https://www.disruptorbeam.com/games/star-trek-timelines/

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Rewatching TMP.

I know there's been a lot of theorizing over the years about a connection between V'ger and the Borg. First, this isn't a great idea because all it does is make the universe smaller. More than that, though, I think people are forgot just how powerful V'ger actually was, even if you go by the reduced AU. If the Borg had even a tenth of V'gers mojo they wouldn't have bothered to mess around with assimilating anything.

And V'ger was just the machine planet messing around.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Beachcomber posted:

Rewatching TMP.

I know there's been a lot of theorizing over the years about a connection between V'ger and the Borg. First, this isn't a great idea because all it does is make the universe smaller. More than that, though, I think people are forgot just how powerful V'ger actually was, even if you go by the reduced AU. If the Borg had even a tenth of V'gers mojo they wouldn't have bothered to mess around with assimilating anything.

And V'ger was just the machine planet messing around.

The best part is that the machine planet is never shown or explored. It is some external alien god like force. And it is left to the imagination with this small glimpse you see from V'ger.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Jeb! Repetition posted:

In real life too!
http://www.coloradodaily.com/ci_13945077

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Jeb! Repetition posted:

So this new propulsion form requires a nearby planet with a huge installation, and interferes with all the communications on ships that use it? Doesn't seem like that great of a replacement for warp drives

Was it supposed to be faster?

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
Does anyone have a copy of that "Major, shut that thing off!!!" moment that Sisko gives in For The Uniform? Google Image Search is turning up lots of bits from that episode, but not what's clearly the best line of the episode.

Orv
May 4, 2011

The Dark One posted:

Does anyone have a copy of that "Major, shut that thing off!!!" moment that Sisko gives in For The Uniform? Google Image Search is turning up lots of bits from that episode, but not what's clearly the best line of the episode.

4:01

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGcAbI-4_io

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Zesty posted:

Was it supposed to be faster?

No, they implied it couldn't safely go above Warp 4. I guess its main advantage was efficiency? Since it was hundreds of times more efficient than warp engines

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Has it been decided if this is going to be the Discovery thread also or is it getting a separate one?

CBS and Paramount have both been garbage for years when it comes to doing things like games with the Trek license. Right now your options are basically STO, Bridge Crew (if you really have that much extra money to burn), or one of those terrible mobile games. Some of the Activision games were bad, but they still made good ones like both of the Elite Force games, the two Armada games, and Starfleet Command III.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

"Alexander, Alexander."
"Yes, father."
"Eating sugar?"
"No, father."
"Hmmmm..." *simmering with rage*

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

vermin posted:

"Alexander, Alexander."
"Yes, father."
"Eating sugar?"
"No, father."
"Hmmmm..." *simmering with rage*

Lol

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Arglebargle III posted:

At least Bridge Crew is novel shovelware. If it had a campaign or even scenarios it might be worth some money!

Bridge Crew isn't shovelware, it's the best skin possible for a modern VR tech demo (which, sadly, is only as far as any purpose-built VR game has managed so far).

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

FlamingLiberal posted:

Has it been decided if this is going to be the Discovery thread also or is it getting a separate one?

CBS and Paramount have both been garbage for years when it comes to doing things like games with the Trek license. Right now your options are basically STO, Bridge Crew (if you really have that much extra money to burn), or one of those terrible mobile games. Some of the Activision games were bad, but they still made good ones like both of the Elite Force games, the two Armada games, and Starfleet Command III.

I'd prefer a separate thread but I'm not thread arbiter or anything

If I end up watching it it'll be three or four days late but I don't want to miss Jeb! posts by avoiding spoilers

Gelf
Oct 1, 2005

Wake up and smell the psychosis!\

Timby posted:

JEB!'s pace is roughly coinciding with my partner's first time with TNG, so its been great to have timely and amusing discussions about these episodes (which I am also viewing for the first time in HD remaster.)

It's also a more enjoyable read than the omnipresent Discovery chicken little-ing so basically:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcme3dPXARc#t=13

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

I'm more than willing to give the show an honest chance in itself. I'd like to put the :D in ST:D. Not all we've heard and seen is bad; there's enough there to pique my interest at least. I just won't watch it beyond the pilot until it is available by some other means.

I don't know how you can say this, Sybok is incredibly charismatic and one of the best things about the movie.

I watched ST 5 today just for you. No browsing the forums, no multitasking, serious watching.

Sybok just doesn't land for me. I totally get what they're going for, but I get "Gameshow Host", not " Cult Leader", or "Messiah". Must be a personal thing.

Watching some Voyager thing now with TacticLoL Janeway in a sweaty tanktop with phaser rifle. I have it on good authority that Starfleet uniforms are designed to be comfortable in any environment, so she must be crazy.

Discovery should stay here because I already have too many pages of bookmarks.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Beachcomber posted:

I watched ST 5 today just for you. No browsing the forums, no multitasking, serious watching.

Sybok just doesn't land for me. I totally get what they're going for, but I get "Gameshow Host", not " Cult Leader", or "Messiah". Must be a personal thing.
Nothing works in STV other than the Kirk/Spock/McCoy moments

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
The downside to keeping Discovery here is you'll have entire pages that look like classified CIA memos.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

FlamingLiberal posted:

Nothing works in STV other than the Kirk/Spock/McCoy moments

Balls. Say what you will about Shatner, but his blocking and camera setups are light-years beyond almost anything else in those first six movies.

And Luckinbill as Sybok is nothing short of extraordinary. He just has otherworldly charisma.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The downside to keeping Discovery here is you'll have entire pages that look like classified Section 31 memos.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I'm not modsplaining so don't take this as gospel but I think STD should have its own thread. There will be new people watching who aren't part of our incestuous nerd pile here and this is better as a general thread.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Lol. I never watched Voyager because it kept putting me to sleep in the pilot, but I'm giving it another shot. It's hilarious how quickly it does away with any goodwill it started with for its novel setting and blended crew. By episode 3 the crew is pretty much integrated, the a plot is dependent on time travel and you've got Captain Janeway going with the most awful interpretation of the prime directive possible. Sprinkle in some idiotic technobabble and extremely clumsy social commentary. This show is loving dogshit and I'd sooner watch Enterprise again than another minute of this dreck.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Beachcomber posted:

Well, I do appreciate you going to the effort. I'm sure it's, like most things, at least partly a matter of taste. For me it's the earnest enthusiasm he brings; for all that he's a nut job it's hard to dislike him. He's not really a villain in the traditional sense, which is refreshing, and he gives Spock and especially McCoy great character moments. For me he's way beyond game show host and more like, maybe not messiah or cult leader, but a philosophy professor who's super into digging deeper for truth, and wants everyone to share in what he's found, not because it makes him look good but because of the truth itself. That's an archetype I can admire and be tempted to follow.

But being a tragic hero, he dug too deep and his brilliance and dedication destroyed him.

Timby posted:

Balls. Say what you will about Shatner, but his blocking and camera setups are light-years beyond almost anything else in those first six movies.

And Luckinbill as Sybok is nothing short of extraordinary. He just has otherworldly charisma.

And the score, man. The score.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
Anyone have the link to the old BBS threads from when TNG had just come out? I think they had been posted up before, either as quotes or an archive url.

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

"It's okay. I wouldn't remember me either."

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

And the score, man. The score.

Yup.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=na76Mrl89Rs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

They don't make 'em like that anymore. Gives me a chill every time.