Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I'm going to buy a bunch of booze tomorrow and blow some heads off of demons all Friday night long :cheers:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

In Training posted:

I enjoyed the first one with basically the same general response, I'll check out 2 some day when it's on sale and I'm in the mood. Oh also thank you CJacobs for telling me about the humble store sale, I bought painkiller

the humble bundle this month is hella good. i've still got codes for Oxenfree and Shadow of Mordor, if anyone wants those. CJacobs? Bueller? Anyone?

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Fungitown apparently has generic toads now, and Geno's little cameo is gone.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

return this world to ashes

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

CJacobs posted:

Hell yeah, Painkiller rules and everyone should own it. :respek:

Its so much better than doom 2016
Come at me haters

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I've contemplated throwing away both Spore and Assassins Creed III, but I just stored away the former to rot, and the latter I sent back to gamefly 4 years ago.
I returned FF13 (a loving birthday present), Black Ops 2 and Fallout 4 back to gamestop, got most of my money back.

Spore remains the most dissapointing game I've ever played, followed by Bioshock Infinite.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

i don't think they can use Geno i don't know i am no lawyer

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

a.lo posted:

i don't think they can use Geno i don't know i am no lawyer

But why'd they get rid of everyone's favorite character, the DK Skeleton?

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
I don't care for Geno

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the death of dk skele is really what ruins this remake

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Grapplejack posted:

Fungitown apparently has generic toads now, and Geno's little cameo is gone.

wtf is the point of this

Grouchio posted:

I've contemplated throwing away both Spore and Assassins Creed III, but I just stored away the former to rot, and the latter I sent back to gamefly 4 years ago.

I have my copy of Spore Galactic Edition sitting on top of one of my desks. Its a reminder to never trust things that seem too good to be true.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Internet Kraken posted:

wtf is the point of this

i guess it just requires less resources??? kind of garbage if they're half-assing the remake that much though, of all the things to cut, big bink is the weirdest one

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Booster should've been Wario but Booster is the actual best character of SMRPG.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Came across a recurring bug in Xenogears where your gears do poo poo damage on everything until you board your boat. Doing so counts as a full heal, so that saved money for the trouble. Elly now utterly destroying things by herself.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Internet Kraken posted:

wtf is the point of this

I have my copy of Spore Galactic Edition sitting on top of one of my desks. Its a reminder to never trust things that seem too good to be true.
I literally spent 2 years doing nothing but spew on about 'how loving awesome Spore's gonna be please play it stranger' after having seen the 2005 E3 demo in 2006.

And then it came out and it was.....A watered down kid's game that threw it's promised components of a real evolution/biology game down the toilet.

In essance, loving nothing.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Samuringa posted:

Overconfidence is my worst enemy in Bloodborne. I could've beaten Amelia with few tries, but every time I got her under half HP I began ignoring cues or trying to do the charged attack. It kinda gets me miffed that I lose my composure so easily.

Changing my axe to one-handed also seemed to have helped but I believe that was more of a placebo.

(Also, she healed once and that's cheating, not counting that try)

Meanwhile, my worst enemy in Horizon is the game's loving camera. It's absolutely terrible and every time something starts sprinting towards me I already get ready to heal myself because there's a 90% chance I'll roll into a rock or fence or tree or whatever.

(Still good game)

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I literally followed Spore from his first trailer ever. It sounded like the perfect game for me. Delay after delay didn't hurt my enthusiasm at all, as I was naive enough to think such a game was possible to make back then. When the creature creator came out and worked so well, I was even more hyped.

Then it came out and after half a week I had to admit it wasn't fun. Such a disappointment.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I also fell for the E3 trailer on spore. I felt like a goddamn fool.

To this day I have done the stages from microscopic to simple RTS only once. After that, all i kept doing was building stupid space ships.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

i remember a video that was maybe e3 where will spaces around in a spaceship and terraforms a planet and whatnot. did any of that end up being in it

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
IN20R-V2J7R-V0C9R

Outlast for Steam. It's free on the Humble Bundle store. Turns out I had it (but not its DLC, which is also free on the store, but this key is just for the game)

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Was this posted yet?

https://twitter.com/SeamusBlackley/status/910556053598646272

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

holy poo poo :worship:

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

oddium posted:

i remember a video that was maybe e3 where will spaces around in a spaceship and terraforms a planet and whatnot. did any of that end up being in it

Terraforming was mostly cut out and replaced with a very simplified version. Once you reached the space stage, every planet would have exactly 3 types creatures and 3 types plants on it. You could seed worlds with different creatures and plants but no more than 3. Also any terrain changes you could make were entirely cosmetic stuff, like changing the color of water. You couldn't actually mold the terrain of the planet to change the way it looked. So basically anything cool you could imagine doing with terraforming was not in the game.

My one solace when it comes to Spore is that it became an important learning experience. My expectations when it comes to games have become far more realistic now. Which is why when No Man's Sky came around I knew it was bullshit from the start.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

oddium posted:

yeah all that stuff is in the game, the space stage is the part that people tend to like the most.

IDK I replayed spore a couple months ago and its fine, people talk it up like its the worst poo poo ever but it never really was. its just a kinda shallow minigame collection with a few interesting ideas that weren't executed particularly well

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
What I liked the most about Spore was the idea of Feeding Frenzy, but you can customize your thing-that-eats-smaller-things with body parts you take from them. That in combination with the evolving mechanic to organically grow your creature sounded really cool to me. Unfortunately that only ended up being a small part of the game and it lost me.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I like Spore

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

this is what i was thinking of

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8dvMDFOFnA&t=1530s

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

CJacobs posted:

What I liked the most about Spore was the idea of Feeding Frenzy, but you can customize your thing-that-eats-smaller-things with body parts you take from them. That in combination with the evolving mechanic to organically grow your creature sounded really cool to me. Unfortunately that only ended up being a small part of the game and it lost me.
my biggest problem with spore is that the evolution conceit of the game is kind of a huge lie. you can completely redesign your species at any time up through the tribal stage and they don't really have to bear any resemblance at all to the previous generation other than you have to draw parts out of the pool of stuff you've collected up to that point, its really more of an intelligent design game lmao. I always try to make incremental changes so it looks like my dudes are actually evolving but that's just roleplaying tbh

also

In Training posted:

I like Spore

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
the best part of spore is the missions insane people make for galactic adventures and i bet you people dont even know about them

wacky spore animal survival horror quest

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

now I'm gonna tell you how sick darkspore was. I heard people wanted it so badly they were stealing it off the shelves

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Lol....darkspore

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

when i played spore i made like spider-plant-turtles and then they all got dressed up in tribal masks and it was okay

i think this was an early one because i remember them being cuter eventually

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

homeless snail posted:

now I'm gonna tell you how sick darkspore was. I heard people wanted it so badly they were stealing it off the shelves
"Naw gently caress Halo 3 this is where the poo poo is at - I'm never playing the Halo franchise for being popular" - Me age 12

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
ive still got darkspore on my steam account even though it'll never be played

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
there are aspects of secret of evermore i like but the balance feels really hosed up and it makes combat a chore in these early bits. my dog does like twice as much damage as i do

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

The Colonel posted:

there are aspects of secret of evermore i like but the balance feels really hosed up and it makes combat a chore in these early bits. my dog does like twice as much damage as i do

that's because the dog has no weapons to get a boost to atk from and curving the dog's power gains would make him really awful early on. the laser lance is about as strong as the toaster dog's charge attack, but then it also has the problem of only hitting once while the dog can hit like 2-3 times

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The Colonel posted:

It's a bad game

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

The Colonel posted:

Salabog has more HP than the next few bosses. Trying to address it means you spend hours grinding garbage alchemy and trash weapons. Just load a save past that section and nothing will be lost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
precision has kindly gifted me his extra copies of Oxenfree and Shadow of Mordor! I am very excited to be a dick to my friends, then blow up some orcs with jedi mind tricks.

• Locked thread