Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

hawowanlawow posted:

I bet the "garrote executioner" position had a lot of burnout

The boss strings them along for a while, but eventually they all drop a line and give their two weeks notice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Have two interesting facts from the personal history of GDR leaders I learned today:

:eng101: It's a well-known fact that the later years of the Weimar Republic were marked by a brutal conflict between the Communist KPD and the Nazi NSDAP. Despites all their hatred against each other both parties shared a common enemy though, which they hated even more: democracy itself! Thus it was fully possible that at some points the KPD and the NSDAP would cooperate, when their respective interests would overlap.

One such occasion was the 1932 Berlin transport strike, when the union-level organisations of both KPD and NSDAP would form a united alliance against the social democratic SPD. The photo above was taken at a rally held during the strike: it shows Walter Ulbricht (born 1893), a high-ranking KPD member and MP, delivering a speech, while to the left of him a certain Joseph Goebbels (born 1897) listens attentively (?), his head resting on his hand (Edit: actually it was probably taken at a different event, see below). At the time Goebbels, one of Hitler's closest confidants, was leader of the NSDAP in Berlin and also responsible for the entire propaganda department of the party; he would go on to become German propaganda minister and one of the most powerful people of the Third Reich until his eventual suicide in 1945. After Hitler's appointment to chancellor in 1933, Ulbricht on the other hand fled first to Paris and then to Moscow in 1938. After the German invasion of the Soviet Union in 1941, Ulbricht became Stalin's chief executive for Soviet propaganda aimed at Germans. After the war had ended, Stalin installed Ulbricht as the most powerful man of the emerging GDR. Ulbricht would rule the country with an iron fist, his most infamous achievement being the erection of the inner-German border wall in 1961. He got deposed ten years later when Erich Honecker, a young(er) and power-hungry member of the central party committee secured himself the backing of Moscow and forced Ulbricht at gunpoint to abdicate. Ulbricht died in 1973, isolated and embittered.

:eng101: About a year before the joint KPD-NSDAP rally described above, Ulbricht and a number of other KPD members got themselves involved in a much bloodier affair. After a 19yo KPD member named Fritz Auge had been shot dead by a police officer during a demonstration in Berlin that had gone bad, Ulbricht, who had for a long time urged his comrades to to not just defend against, but specifically target police officers ("At home in Saxony we would have done something about the police a long time ago. Here in Berlin we will not fool around much longer. Soon we will hit the police in the head."), encouraged fellow KPD members to take revenge. Only hours after Auge's death, the above graffitto appeared on a wall near to where he had died; it read "For every killed worker there will be two dead police officers!!! The Red Front [=the paramilitary wing of the KPD that had been banned in 1929 but lived on under a number of differenct successor organisations] takes revenge. The Red Front lives on." The "Schupo" mentioned in the German text was the "Schutzpolizei", i.e. the part of the police that was present "on the ground" and therefore the most involved when KPD rallies turned violent. The KPD conspirators decided to target Captain Paul Anlauf specifically; his beat included the KPD headquarters, and he was probably the individual police officer hated the most by the Berlin KPD. Two communist volunteers, Erich Mielke (born 1907) and Erich Ziemer (born 1906), shot and killed Anlauf together with another officer the day after Auge's death. In the following confusion, other police officers started firing wildly at the crowd; at the end of a bloody shootout, the scene numbered four dead and 35 injured. Mielke and Ziemer however were able to escape.

A 1933 poster depicting those who were suspected to directly or indirectly have been involved with the murder

Mielke and Ziemer fled to Moscow, where they were trained by the NKVD in paramilitary tactics and espionage. Both were sent to Spain in order to support the Republican struggle against the fascist takeover. Ziemer was KIA there in 1937, while Mielke went on to become one of the Soviets' most important men on site to spy on Republican commandos and purge anti-Stalinist elements amongst them. After the war, Mielke immediately became an important part of the Soviet takeover of East Germany. In 1957, he became the director of the GDR's intelligence agency, the dreaded and all-powerful Stasi. Mielke led the agency until his forced removal in 1989. His past as a murderer didn't leave him, however: in 1993, more than 60 years after the crime, he was sentenced to six years in prison for the murder of Paul Anlauf and his fellow officer. Due to his old age and because he had already spent most of the six years in prison, Mielke was released in 1995 and died five years later in Berlin.

e: it looks like the first photo actually shows a different occasion where Ulbricht and Goebbels met, though in this case not as part of a joint rally but instead as political opponents publicly debating politics! Sorry for any confusion; I'll leave the image here though unless I manage to find a photo actually depicting the event in question.

System Metternich has a new favorite as of 23:56 on Sep 21, 2017

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

plainswalker75 posted:

Yeah, it's a real pain in the neck to find replacements though.
Puns like this always end up strangling discussion.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

PMush Perfect posted:

Puns like this always end up strangling discussion.

I prefer my discourses going full-throttle.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Samovar posted:

I prefer my discourses going full-throttle.

Breathtaking.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

plainswalker75 posted:

Yeah, it's a real pain in the neck to find replacements though.

yeah it's hard to find other candidates with air-tight credentials

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

hard counter posted:

yeah it's hard to find other candidates with air-tight credentials

anyone could get the job if they pulled a few strings

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Sweevo posted:

anyone could get the job if they pulled a few strings

Only if they choke out.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

In 1627 Germany had burned so many "witches" that they started to run out of wood, two villages south of Cologne even refused to provide wood for the witch burnings because they needed it to get through the winter.

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo
Well you can't say they didn't learn any lessons for the next time they needed to kill mass amounts of innocent people.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

TenCentFang posted:

Well you can't say they didn't learn any lessons for the next time they needed to kill mass amounts of innocent people.
:stonklol:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

TenCentFang posted:

:thurman:

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

System Metternich posted:

Have two interesting facts from the personal history of GDR leaders I learned today:

:eng101: It's a well-known fact that the later years of the Weimar Republic were marked by a brutal conflict between the Communist KPD and the Nazi NSDAP. Despites all their hatred against each other both parties shared a common enemy though, which they hated even more: democracy itself! Thus it was fully possible that at some points the KPD and the NSDAP would cooperate, when their respective interests would overlap.

One such occasion was the 1932 Berlin transport strike, when the union-level organisations of both KPD and NSDAP would form a united alliance against the social democratic SPD. The photo above was taken at a rally held during the strike: it shows Walter Ulbricht (born 1893), a high-ranking KPD member and MP, delivering a speech, while to the left of him a certain Joseph Goebbels (born 1897) listens attentively (?), his head resting on his hand (Edit: actually it was probably taken at a different event, see below). At the time Goebbels, one of Hitler's closest confidants, was leader of the NSDAP in Berlin and also responsible for the entire propaganda department of the party; he would go on to become German propaganda minister and one of the most powerful people of the Third Reich until his eventual suicide in 1945. After Hitler's appointment to chancellor in 1933, Ulbricht on the other hand fled first to Paris and then to Moscow in 1938. After the German invasion of the Soviet Union in 1941, Ulbricht became Stalin's chief executive for Soviet propaganda aimed at Germans. After the war had ended, Stalin installed Ulbricht as the most powerful man of the emerging GDR. Ulbricht would rule the country with an iron fist, his most infamous achievement being the erection of the inner-German border wall in 1961. He got deposed ten years later when Erich Honecker, a young(er) and power-hungry member of the central party committee secured himself the backing of Moscow and forced Ulbricht at gunpoint to abdicate. Ulbricht died in 1973, isolated and embittered.

:eng101: About a year before the joint KPD-NSDAP rally described above, Ulbricht and a number of other KPD members got themselves involved in a much bloodier affair. After a 19yo KPD member named Fritz Auge had been shot dead by a police officer during a demonstration in Berlin that had gone bad, Ulbricht, who had for a long time urged his comrades to to not just defend against, but specifically target police officers ("At home in Saxony we would have done something about the police a long time ago. Here in Berlin we will not fool around much longer. Soon we will hit the police in the head."), encouraged fellow KPD members to take revenge. Only hours after Auge's death, the above graffitto appeared on a wall near to where he had died; it read "For every killed worker there will be two dead police officers!!! The Red Front [=the paramilitary wing of the KPD that had been banned in 1929 but lived on under a number of differenct successor organisations] takes revenge. The Red Front lives on." The "Schupo" mentioned in the German text was the "Schutzpolizei", i.e. the part of the police that was present "on the ground" and therefore the most involved when KPD rallies turned violent. The KPD conspirators decided to target Captain Paul Anlauf specifically; his beat included the KPD headquarters, and he was probably the individual police officer hated the most by the Berlin KPD. Two communist volunteers, Erich Mielke (born 1907) and Erich Ziemer (born 1906), shot and killed Anlauf together with another officer the day after Auge's death. In the following confusion, other police officers started firing wildly at the crowd; at the end of a bloody shootout, the scene numbered four dead and 35 injured. Mielke and Ziemer however were able to escape.

A 1933 poster depicting those who were suspected to directly or indirectly have been involved with the murder

Mielke and Ziemer fled to Moscow, where they were trained by the NKVD in paramilitary tactics and espionage. Both were sent to Spain in order to support the Republican struggle against the fascist takeover. Ziemer was KIA there in 1937, while Mielke went on to become one of the Soviets' most important men on site to spy on Republican commandos and purge anti-Stalinist elements amongst them. After the war, Mielke immediately became an important part of the Soviet takeover of East Germany. In 1957, he became the director of the GDR's intelligence agency, the dreaded and all-powerful Stasi. Mielke led the agency until his forced removal in 1989. His past as a murderer didn't leave him, however: in 1993, more than 60 years after the crime, he was sentenced to six years in prison for the murder of Paul Anlauf and his fellow officer. Due to his old age and because he had already spent most of the six years in prison, Mielke was released in 1995 and died five years later in Berlin.

e: it looks like the first photo actually shows a different occasion where Ulbricht and Goebbels met, though in this case not as part of a joint rally but instead as political opponents publicly debating politics! Sorry for any confusion; I'll leave the image here though unless I manage to find a photo actually depicting the event in question.

This got passed over for punchat but this was a Good Post

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

TenCentFang posted:

Innocent? I thought they convicted them beforehand. The witches, I mean.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

TenCentFang posted:

They actually solved the firewood shortage problem by building huts which they put all the "witches" they could find into and then set the huts on fire.

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Alhazred posted:

They actually solved the firewood shortage problem by building huts which they put all the "witches" they could find into and then set the huts on fire.

Ironically, the person who came up with that innovation was Jewish. First they came for the witches...

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Platystemon posted:

He should have commuted it only on the condition that they climb Kilimanjaro.

Both peaks.

Ranestone
Sep 19, 2017

Carbon dioxide posted:

That, also some Norse god, and also the actual Turkish saint St Nicholas features somewhere.

E: Also, Santa got his modern colors from Coca Cola.

Some Turkish archaologists think they found the tomb of Santa Claus/St. Nicholas recently:

"The crypt of St. Nicholas, popularly known as Santa Claus, was found in the famed saint’s namesake church in the Demre district of Antalya, a southern region of Turkey believed to be his birthplace. The tomb was revealed during a digital analysis of the ground beneath the 5th century Byzantine church." - http://www.history.com/news/archaeologists-might-have-found-the-tomb-of-santa-claus

The tomb itself is being protected by mosaic on the floor of the church, so archaologists are still trying to figure out how to dig/break into it.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ranestone posted:

Some Turkish archaologists think they found the tomb of Santa Claus/St. Nicholas recently:

"The crypt of St. Nicholas, popularly known as Santa Claus, was found in the famed saint’s namesake church in the Demre district of Antalya, a southern region of Turkey believed to be his birthplace. The tomb was revealed during a digital analysis of the ground beneath the 5th century Byzantine church." - http://www.history.com/news/archaeologists-might-have-found-the-tomb-of-santa-claus

The tomb itself is being protected by mosaic on the floor of the church, so archaologists are still trying to figure out how to dig/break into it.

The idea of maybe possibly not digging up St Nicholas was rejected out of hand. "What do you think is going to happen," one researcher was overheard to say. "What, like his revenant is going to stride the earth in some kind of grisly Santapocalypse? Superstitious nonsense."

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I mean, it's almost Halloween. If there was ever a time...

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

for hundreds of years santa has given out presents...
but tonight...
he's come back...
to collect!

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

AriadneThread posted:

for hundreds of years santa has given out presents...
but tonight...
he's come back...
to collect!

The only way to slay Santa is for all the naughty children to use their coal to incinerate him

Government Handjob
Nov 1, 2004

Gudbrandsglasnost
College Slice
Other gods play
Santa Claus slays

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Fun fact: in the Neolithic there were no wedding rings:

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Automatic Retard
Oct 21, 2010

PUT THIS WANKSTAIN ON IGNORE
Goode tymes, Goode tymes.

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Boyes shall be boyes

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Fratte partee!

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
So that's where the Bullingdon Club comes from.

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax
loving nothing new under the sun, is there?

Les Os
Mar 29, 2010
life is hard for hostesses

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Myne bretherein, toniyte shall we engagyg upon the endeavorre of a hyste of undergarments of the fair maidennes of delta gamma. Yn faythe there shall be songes of toniyte.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

PMush Perfect posted:

I swear, we'd have cured cancer by now if it was an obstacle between a platoon of marines and getting shitfaced.

As a person who has spent the last ten years studying spirits and distillation and teaching others about them, I can tell you that this is universally true across history and human (and in some cases, animal) kind. The sheer volume of effort, discovery, ingenuity and science that has gone into figuring out ways to get hosed up is amazing.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

As a person who has spent the last ten years studying spirits and distillation and teaching others about them, I can tell you that this is universally true across history and human (and in some cases, animal) kind. The sheer volume of effort, discovery, ingenuity and science that has gone into figuring out ways to get hosed up is amazing.

That and girls. If you had to go to space to impress girls and get slammed, we'd have colonies on Pluto by now.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
Befaithful Asser

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Ah, the joys of a simple Georgian/early Victorian English kitchen: Good conversations, good ale, the children are playing, the fire is roaring in the chimney and a small dog is running in a large wheel affixed to the wall. Wait, what?

Meet the “turnspit dog“ (canis vertigus or “dizzy dog“) or “vernepator cur“, a now extinct breed of dogs that nevertheless was a staple of large English kitchens throughout the early modern era. You've probably all seen or read the cliche image of a medieval scullion slowly turning a large piece of meat over an open fire as to prepare it for the feast. Well, this was dull and repetitive work and probably not very popular with whoever had to do it, so the 16th century (the dogs were first mentioned in 1576 as “turnespetes“, but they may well have been employed first at an even earlier date) saw an innovation that would revolutionise the kitchen: a dog, running in a wheel and thereby turning the meat - well, not automatically, but close enough. The wheels were put far away from the fire as for the dogs not to overheat, and they would also work in shifts - turning spits all day was exhausting, and so most every kitchen would keep at least two turnspits to relieve each other. Extant sources of the time even tell us that the dogs would know when their time was up and would leave their wheel as if on cue for the other one to take over. They also doubled as foot warmers, and there's the nice anecdote of the Bishop of Gloucester once giving a sermon in Bath and saying "It was then that Ezekiel saw the wheel...", when a couple of foot-warming turnspits among the audience would hear the last word and immediately run for the door, although I cannot say whether they wanted to jump into the wheel right away or tried to get the gently caress out of Dodge instead.

The usage of turnspit dogs wasn't limited to the UK, though; we know of several large kitchens in the US where they were employed as well. Benjamin Franklin's Philadelphia Gazette had advertisements for both dogs and wheels, and their bad treatment by NYC hotel owners in the 19th century was one of the main reasons for the formation of the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals.

The advent of automated roast spit turners, so-called “clock jacks“ or “roasting jacks“ in the 19th century would eventually lead to the breed's disappearance. By 1750 they were ubiquitous, by 1850 only poor people still had them and by 1900 they were effectively extinct, although Queen Victoria would adopt unemployed turnspits as pets.

The short-legged breed died out that quickly because most people saw them as nothing more than tools, and many sources take note of how ugly they were and that they tended to have a “morose disposition“ as well. You can be the judge of that - above you can see “Whiskey“, the only taxidermied example of a turnspit dog in existence, displayed at the Abergavenny Museum in Wales. It's not the best example of taxidermy, either. Personally I think it looks cute.

I'm no expert in dogs, so I'll have to rely on the experts who tell me that the turnspit was either a kind of Glen of Imaal Terrier or Welsh Corgi, so it may well be that the closest living relatives of the lowly wheel-running dog now are the Queen's favourite pet.

System Metternich has a new favorite as of 22:26 on Oct 17, 2017

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Ah, the joys of a simple Georgian/early Victorian English kitchen: Good conversations, good ale, the children are playing, the fire is roaring in the chimney and a small dog is running in a large wheel affixed to the wall. Wait, what?

Meet the “turnspit dog“ (canis vertigus or “dizzy dog“) or “vernepator cur“, a now extinct breed of dogs that nevertheless was a staple of large English kitchens throughout the early modern era. You've probably all seen or read the cliche image of a medieval scullion slowly turning a large piece of meat over an open fire as to prepare it for the feast. Well, this was dull and repetitive work and probably not very popular with whoever had to do it, so the 16th century (the dogs were first mentioned in 1576 as “turnespetes“, but they may well have been employed first at an even earlier date) saw an innovation that would revolutionise the kitchen: a dog, running in a wheel and thereby turning the meat - well, not automatically, but close enough. The wheels were put far away from the fire as for the dogs not to overheat, and they would also work in shifts - turning spits all day was exhausting, and so most every kitchen would keep at least two turnspits to relieve each other. Extant sources of the time even tell us that the dogs would know when their time was up and would leave their wheel as if on cue for the other one to take over. They also doubled as foot warmers, and there's the nice anecdote of the Bishop of Gloucester once giving a sermon in Bath and saying "It was then that Ezekiel saw the wheel...", when a couple of foot-warming turnspits among the audience would hear the last word and immediately run for the door, although I cannot say whether they wanted to jump into the wheel right away or tried to get the gently caress out of Dodge instead.

The usage of turnspit dogs wasn't limited to the UK, though; we know of several large kitchens in the US where they were employed as well. Benjamin Franklin's Philadelphia Gazette had advertisements for both dogs and wheels, and their bad treatment by NYC hotel owners in the 19th century was one of the main reasons for the formation of the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals.

The advent of automated roast spit turners, so-called “clock jacks“ or “roasting jacks“ in the 19th century would eventually lead to the breed's disappearance. By 1750 they were ubiquitous, by 1850 only poor people still had them and by 1900 they were effectively extinct, although Queen Victoria would adopt unemployed turnspits as pets.

The short-legged breed died out that quickly because most people saw them as nothing more than tools, and many sources take note of how ugly they were and that they tended to have a “morose disposition“ as well. You can be the judge of that - above you can see “Whiskey“, the only taxidermied example of a turnspit dog in existence, displayed at the Abergavenny Museum in Wales. It's not the best example of taxidermy, either. Personally I think it looks cute.

I'm no expert in dogs, so I'll have to rely on the experts who tell me that the turnspit was either a kind of Glen of Imaal Terrier or Welsh Corgi, so it may well be that the closest living relatives of the lowly wheel-running dog now are the Queen's favourite pet.

I spent this entire drat post thinking it was an elaborate joke.

My God.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Related, Dog Power at The Museum of Retro Technology

ca. 1875:

1939:

1908:

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

If Wikipedia is to be trusted, this type of dog was also known as the "Underdog".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Carbon dioxide posted:

If Wikipedia is to be trusted, this type of dog was also known as the "Underdog".

If Wikipedia is to be trusted, that term comes from the timber industry.