Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I think I might participate. It'll give me a good chance to get through my horror backlog. Started by watching The Blackcoat's Daughter and The Vvitch, both were fantastic. I might post a review later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Okay, seriously, are there any guides to what's on Amazon or more user-friendly ways to look at their selection? There's a bajillion horror movies on this thing and it's organized like complete garbage.

Franchescanado posted:

What Should I Watch?!

AMAZON PRIME
The 7th Curse
Alice Sweet Alice
An American Werewolf in London
Bad Taste
The Black Cat ('81; Fulci)
The Blackcoat's Daughter
Bloodrage
Bride of Re-Animator
Bruiser
Carrie
Creature from Black Lake
The Dark
The Dark Half
Dark Water
The Dead Zone
Demon
Gozu
Green Room
Grizzly
Haxan
Hell House LLC
The Innkeepers
Messiah of Evil
Monster Madness: The Gothic Revival of Horror
The Mutilator
Prom Night
PumpkinHead
Rosemary's Baby
Santa Sangre
SAW (series)
Society
Spider Baby
Stage Fright ('89)
Suspiria
The Terror
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (40th Anniversary HD remaster)
Venom
What Have You Done To Solange?
What We Do In The Shadows
The VVitch

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Okay, seriously, are there any guides to what's on Amazon or more user-friendly ways to look at their selection? There's a bajillion horror movies on this thing and it's organized like complete garbage.

An online streaming service providing an actual usable interface for browsing their collection? Don't be absurd. You have to look at just these four movie posters and slowly scroll through them one at a time as god intended.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

I'd never seen any of the Phantasm movies, so what better time to start?

5. Phantasm: Remastered

This is one of those iconic/cult classics from the late 70s that I never got around to watching, and my big takeaway from this is, if I had seen this when I was a kid in the '80s, it might very well have freaked me out. Watching it now, though, I wasn't really scared by it (ok, I admit the part where they're trying to dispose of the monster fly made me jump at least once) but I could appreciate the whole weird dreamlike vibe going on. There are moments in this that are really well done, but the acting and dialogue isn't that great and it takes away from a lot of it. I was also struck by how it set up the relationships between the guys - I can totally see why people my age got into this film because it's sort of a more hard-edged precursor to the "friends on a scary horror/sci-fi adventure" flicks common in the '80s, and I had more than a few friends with the "cool older brother" they idolized or wanted to constantly hang out with. So yeah, not really scared but I can appreciate why it made an impact on people.

6. Phantasm II

Well, after comparing how the first two Hellraiser movies fared against each, I decided to check out the first Phantasm sequel and I can definitely say, if I had seen this around the time it came out - I was in my early teens then - this DEFINITELY would have been one of my favorite horror flicks of the period. After watching this, I read a bunch of reviews and articles on its making, and the studio influence (and budget) really makes a difference, for better or worse - gone is the weird nightmare stuff and now we get lots of straightforward action and gore (reminded me of the change in Alien to Aliens). It was surprising to me how much this actually had in common with, say, Evil Dead 2 - they came out within a year of each other so I'm not sure if they directly copied stuff - what with the improvised weaponry (preteen me would have loved the juryrigged quad shotgun and homemade flamethrower, and they fight with chainsaws and drills too!) and construction montage, and the scenes where the spheres attack - particularly near the end with the one mortuary attendant. Even more so, I was surprised with what they did with Reggie, who went from hippie ice-cream guy in the first movie to Ash-like butt-of-the-joke but asskicker-when-it-counts hero. Hell, he even gets an awkward sex scene, but he's also treated like the butt of the joke in that, too. The loner teen gets to be the hero, has a telepathic girlfriend who already loves him even before they meet (lol), and he has Reggie, who is the best friend/guardian who always has his back and kicks rear end - it's a young guy's horror/action movie dream, isn't it?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Bruteman posted:

(preteen me would have loved the juryrigged quad shotgun and homemade flamethrower, and they fight with chainsaws and drills too!)
Even though I remember almost nothing about the Phantasm movies before my rewatch of the original last year, one of my most lasting preteen horror memories was that scene and how cool I thought it was. If I ever find myself in a horror setting I'm totally making a quad shotgun.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Bruteman posted:

The loner teen gets to be the hero, has a telepathic girlfriend who already loves him even before they meet (lol), and he has Reggie, who is the best friend/guardian who always has his back and kicks rear end - it's a young guy's horror/action movie dream, isn't it?

This is pretty dead-on as a summary of the entire Phantasm series.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

So I guess the question is "is it worth watching the rest of the series" if I liked these? While looking at reviews for 3-5, people seemed not quite as enthusiastic about these as they were about the first two.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Bruteman posted:

So I guess the question is "is it worth watching the rest of the series" if I liked these? While looking at reviews for 3-5, people seemed not quite as enthusiastic about these as they were about the first two.

Phantasm III has a similar budget as II, but unfortunately IV and Ravager didn't have the resources to make the production look as good as they had before. They have a t.v. movie look, whereas Phantasm and Phantasm II feel very cinematic. Phantasm III is still watchable.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Basebf555 posted:

Phantasm III has a similar budget as II, but unfortunately IV and Ravager didn't have the resources to make the production look as good as they had before. They have a t.v. movie look, whereas Phantasm and Phantasm II feel very cinematic. Phantasm III is still watchable.

Thanks, I'll probably check them out then.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

SomeJazzyRat posted:

1. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (2003)
2. TCM: The Beginning
3. Halloween (2007)

Now watch Zombie's H2, it's one of the best ones in the series.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

#6 Prom Night(1980) - A mediocre slasher, I mostly just found it dull. I can get what they were going for, with the slow burn and not very good killer. But it just doesn't quite give me enough to care about in all that time it spends before the action and even that bit isn't very good. Everything involving the actual disco prom was great, but not enough to carry the rest of the movie for me. 2/5

Also the version on Amazon is ugly and cropped to 4:3. I stopped it and rented the blu-ray it was so bad. Seriously, what the gently caress amazon?

Prom Night 2 sounds like it could be alright, maybe I'll check it out. Tonight though I've got tickets to see The Texas Chainsaw Massacre for the first time.

Total: 6
Butterly Murders [4/5], Candyman: Day of the Dead [1/5], The Fog [4/5], Demons [5/5], Demons 2 [4/5], Prom Night [2/5]
Letterboxd list

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

I made a Letterboxd list that's mostly inventory sorted by director. Recommend double features or other movies that pair well with my base. It's very 80s biased but I haven't seen any of it so whatever.

First off, if you haven't seen Opera, put that one on your list.

Some double features:

The Void & From Beyond
Texas Chainsaw Massacre & The Eyes of My Mother
The New York Ripper & Ms. 45 (not on your list, but on Shudder; add it!)
The Fog & The Beyond (really, Dead & Buried would be the perfect double feature with The Fog, and it's on Shudder)
Phantasm & Night of the Creeps
The Invisible Man & Re-Animator
The Funhouse & PumpkinHead
Lifeforce & The Love Witch
Basket Case & Puppet Master
Nosferatu & Night of the Hunter
Don't Look Now & Your Vice Is A Locked Room
The Innkeepers & The Beyond (If you go with the Dead & Buried suggestion; edit another good one with The Innkeepers might be Fright Night, if you haven't seen it; on Shudder)
Zombie & City of the Living Dead

Wilhelm Scream posted:

I think we all just use my personal list as the final saying on Friday the 13th.

https://letterboxd.com/vincentprice/list/friday-the-13th-ranked/

It's quite legit

You're loving crazy. Part 8, 9, Reboot and X higher than 2 & 5? Part 2 is the worst? You're a monster.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Sep 21, 2017

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Magic Hate Ball posted:

MOVIE ONE

The Brood - Cronenberg, 1979

I would be hard-pressed to call it scary, but I was definitely gripped a few times, and the overall atmosphere is pervasively eerie. It's just a good, solid, workaday B movie. You could build a house out of movies like this. 8/10

The thing that REALLY makes the Brood interesting, is that it's metaphorically autobiographical for what was going on in Cronenberg's life right before he made it. He doesn't go into detail often, but has admitted that after a messy divorce, his ex-wife, who apparently has some mental illness in her, got into pop-science new age healing stuff, and also began being abusive to their child. It's one of his angriest films, with Rabid being the only one that feels worse, and yet in a completely different way, this one might actually be #1 there.

One small unrelated thing I like about the film is the detail for the psychoplasmics clinic. They put in all this background PSA style created material for the science that you can't even read but you notice it's there in flyers and wall posters. They really make it look real.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
The doctor in The Brood is played by Oliver Reed, if you've never seen him in anything before just remember the name and if you see it appear in a cast listing just watch the movie. He's great in everything I've ever seen him in, even small roles, like Night Creatures AKA Captain Clegg. In Venom he arguably outshines Klaus Kinski, which is no easy task.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

I mean, that's good and all, but there's a loving shitzillion movies on there and that seems like a relatively small cross-section of them.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

MacheteZombie posted:

Now watch Zombie's H2, it's one of the best ones in the series.

That's the idea. Watching all of the followups to the films I watched last year (F13, NoES, TCM, Halloween, Scream), before moving on to some other stuff.

And honestly, I was looking forward to watching this one and it's sequel. The horror thread never steered me wrong, and a lot of not terrible things have been said about it. Especially the second, as you mentioned.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

SomeJazzyRat posted:

That's the idea. Watching all of the followups to the films I watched last year (F13, NoES, TCM, Halloween, Scream), before moving on to some other stuff.

And honestly, I was looking forward to watching this one and it's sequel. The horror thread never steered me wrong, and a lot of not terrible things have been said about it. Especially the second, as you mentioned.

Haha I was one of the guys defending it in the thread a few days ago.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I think even people who don't like Zombie's Halloween films would have to admit that Halloween II at least tries to do it's own thing. It's not just another "Michael comes back again to kill Laurie('s friends)" story, it's a pretty unique film within the series.

Trot_to_Trotsky
Dec 9, 2000
Must... Destroy... Capitalism...
Grimey Drawer
I'm definitely going to participate, although I may not start watching movies until October rolls around. My wife and I try to watch at least 31 movies every October, so I think that's a good goal to set for myself.

I've also just ordered Suspiria, Don't Torture a Duckling, Demons, and Bay of Blood on blu-ray, so I'm counting down the seconds to October.

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
2. De Dødes Tjern [Lake of the Dead], 1958

So this is reportedly one of the best Norwegian films of all times. I don't think I've ever seen a Norwegian film, so it is currently the best one I've ever seen. The plot has a group of friends confronted with a deadly mystery while vacationing together at a cabin. The characters all have interesting interplay with each other, and the film has some fun uses of flashbacks and transitioning to and from them. There is also a psychotherapist in the friend group, not as some weirdo outsider, but just as one of the friends! Makes my heart warm. The psychotherapist is played as pretty rational and intellectual, much to the frustration of his other friends. However, the big twist of the movie involves the discovery that telepathy between a lustful brother and his sister is at the heart of the mystery. This is presented to the viewer as the rational and scientific explanation. Another character even scoffs at someone for suggesting that something supernatural is going on when the perfectly logical answer is telepathy! This revelation is of course completely accurate to the modern science of psychology, and makes total sense.

Overall, the movie has a lot of the charm that movies prior to the 70s had with less naturalistic dialogue, closer to stage delivery for different lines. The characters are likable, and the mystery is pretty hard to guess, unless you are also a psychotherapist like me who already knows all about this kind of thing.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

5: Nochnoi Dozor (2004)

A personal favourite that I haven't watched in a few years now. Timur "The Mad Russian" Bekmambetov adapted Sergei Lukyanenko's series of novels about feuding magical factions in 21st century Moscow into an insane fantasmagoria that became Russia's all time highest grossing movie. It's slightly disjointed, feeling chapterised in places, but it works as an organic piece. I keep noticing new things in it every time I watch.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Movie #12: Chopping Mall

A group of young adults gets trapped in a high tech mall overnight and are hunted by the state of the art murder robots that protect the mall. Pretty standard? It was a lot of fun but I was really bothered by a specific inconsistency: How powerful are the robot's lasers? In one scene they mildly burn someone when hit, in the next scene someone's head is exploded by a laser, then in another a laser goes straight through someone's leg. What's up with the laser settings? I was just wondering.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
#4: Phantasm

While it wears its Dune influences proudly on its sleeve, Phantasm shares more DNA with trippy foreign fare like Suspiria or Hausu, concerned more with delivering scares and interesting setpieces than a cohesive story or smooth narrative. The only way to truly tell it's American is how quickly the protagonists get strapped after weird poo poo starts happening around them. Coscarelli's dream logic works great here because it's set up very early on; flashbacks with unusual editing and narration, disappearing hands, a nightmare without the relief of waking up, all of these happen within the first act of Phantasm, and their weirdness paves the way for the ridiculous plot twists and leaps of logic to come, where little makes sense, but it's enthralling just the same. This movie wouldn't work if the scares weren't effective, and they are. The creepy set design mixed with outstanding lighting and cinematography add a layer of tension to already well-timed moments. Especially surprising is the performance of A. Michael Baldwin as Mike, who manages to deliver a great, nuanced performance that, along with the writing and his co-star Bill Thornbury, gives an understated and effective sibling relationship in a film that otherwise deals in very broad strokes. This one's a real gem of 70's horror.

Completed: Beyond the Black Rainbow, Rabid, The Driller Killer, Phantasm*

*denotes rewatches

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Franchescanado posted:

Some double features:
Thanks!

Untrustable posted:

Movie #12: Chopping Mall

A group of young adults gets trapped in a high tech mall overnight and are hunted by the state of the art murder robots that protect the mall. Pretty standard? It was a lot of fun but I was really bothered by a specific inconsistency: How powerful are the robot's lasers? In one scene they mildly burn someone when hit, in the next scene someone's head is exploded by a laser, then in another a laser goes straight through someone's leg. What's up with the laser settings? I was just wondering.
Like David Lynch, Jim Wynorski creates vivid worlds unbound by consistency.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
1. Motel Hell

What a trip. I was cracking up most this movie because the premise was so ridiculous. What caught me off guard though was just how good the movie looked and how good the sound work was. The scoring was pretty great, but those guttural noises made by the victims was extremely effective. That ending was out of this world. Two brother pigs fighting with their dicks chainsaws over a woman strapped to a death trap :discourse: :mrapig:

I don't want to say too much about the film, going in blind is what I did and it was a treat. The Smith Family was a lot fun and you could see how much the actors enjoyed playing those roles.

:hampants::hampants::hampants::hampants::hampants:/5

Watched: Motel Hell

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

X-Ray Pecs posted:

While it wears its Dune influences proudly on its sleeve,

Oh yeah, that scene with the fortune teller and the box, I was going to mention that in my writeup but forgot. That was a pretty :wtf: moment.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

If you use any of them, it would be fun to hear why you think they were paired! I've had practice linking film themes into double features for my horror nights (with help from the horror thread, of course).

Tonight's feature is Cemetery Man

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Did a triple feature to get started with a bang.

1. The Blackcoat's Daughter
This was a fantastic little movie. Slow burn all the way through, and oozing with a moody, calm atmosphere. The violence was used sparingly, and to great effect. This is the kind of horror movie I really like. Slowly build up a creepy atmosphere and keep the story tight, just focus on a few characters. It wasn't mindblowing, but I loved this movie.
4/5

2. The Vvitch
If Blackcoat was the type of movie I really like, The Witch is the kind of movie I love. I'm an absolute sucker for a period piece, and this movie portrayed things in such an interesting way that felt somewhat realistic. The focus was tight, only focusing on the family and their desperate struggle to carve out a home in the wilderness as the supernatural happenings and looming starvation slowly encroach on them. Very minimalist movie, bleak and simple, not unlike life would have been at the time. They used the shots of the woods looming over the cabin to great effect as they cultivated a sense of creeping dread as the situation gets worse and worse. The casting was probably one of my favorite parts of the movie, even the kids gave solid performances. This is probably gonna wind up being one of my favorite horror movies ever.
5/5

3. Baskin
I sure as gently caress didn't know what was going on past the surface layer until I read up a bit later, but this movie was disturbing as hell. It's like the better aspects of Hostel mixed with an arthouse horror movie mixed with Mr Magoo. It had a strong opening that built up the camaraderie between the police officers that was pretty slow paced at first, but once it got going it went into full gear immediately. It was a bit of a puzzle, things were intentionally confusing, cutting between different times and places throughout, but it all comes together in the end pretty well. It was definitely my least favorite of the three, being a lot more heavy handed than the first two, but I thoroughly enjoyed myself during it.

The guy who played Baba looked wonderfully creepy and gave a really solid performance. He definitely added a lot to the movie. I thought it was prosthetics at first, but apparently the guy actually looks like that, though obviously a lot less creepy in real life
3.5/5

Evil Vin
Jun 14, 2006

♪ Sing everybody "Deutsche Deutsche"
Vaya con dios amigos! ♪

Fallen Rib
More rewatches over the last two nights.

Bonus: Rec 2 (2009):
More of the same from REC 2. Still pretty short, enjoyed it for the most part.
:spooky::spooky::spooky::spooky:/5

Bonus: Halloween (2007):
I guess I got lucky rewatching this one when I did. I remembered liking this for the most part when I saw it ten years ago, didn't quite like it as much this time. I don't think I really needed like 70 different scenes proving Mike Myers was evil (here have this tangent with Danny Trejo being nice to him, so hes soooo much more evil when he kills Trejo). Also, every murder is like 10 seconds way too long. I don't need to linger on everyone begging for their life, or attempting to crawl away before they're murdered. And that drat rape scene, it really adds nothing to the movie and makes no sense why the guys brought her over to Myers' room. They're like a parody of what people think bullies are. Ugh, I went in watching this because I wanted to watch H2 this year but I'm not sure anymore.

:spooky::spooky:/5

Question:
Does Battle Royale count towards this? I saw it was on Shudder so I thought it could go on the list.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Bruteman posted:

Oh yeah, that scene with the fortune teller and the box, I was going to mention that in my writeup but forgot. That was a pretty :wtf: moment.

Phantasm's full of :wtf: moments, and that's part of why I love it so much. The guitar jam is another great scene that shouldn't really work but does.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

X-Ray Pecs posted:

While it wears its Dune influences proudly on its sleeve, Phantasm shares more DNA with trippy foreign fare like Suspiria or Hausu, concerned more with delivering scares and interesting setpieces than a cohesive story or smooth narrative. The only way to truly tell it's American is how quickly the protagonists get strapped after weird poo poo starts happening around them. Coscarelli's dream logic works great here because it's set up very early on; flashbacks with unusual editing and narration, disappearing hands, a nightmare without the relief of waking up, all of these happen within the first act of Phantasm, and their weirdness paves the way for the ridiculous plot twists and leaps of logic to come, where little makes sense, but it's enthralling just the same. This movie wouldn't work if the scares weren't effective, and they are. The creepy set design mixed with outstanding lighting and cinematography add a layer of tension to already well-timed moments. Especially surprising is the performance of A. Michael Baldwin as Mike, who manages to deliver a great, nuanced performance that, along with the writing and his co-star Bill Thornbury, gives an understated and effective sibling relationship in a film that otherwise deals in very broad strokes. This one's a real gem of 70's horror.

Completed: Beyond the Black Rainbow, Rabid, The Driller Killer, Phantasm*

*denotes rewatches

Your mind is going to be blown when you realize what year Phantasm was actually made and started filming

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Hollismason posted:

Your mind is going to be blown when you realize what year Phantasm was actually made and started filming

1974, right? Didn't it take about 5 years to make?

Jeff Wiiver
Jul 13, 2007
#1) Your Vice Is A Locked Room And Only I Have The Key
#2) God Told Me To (1976)
Talk about a grower and not a shower. The opening scene features some of the worst acting by extras I've ever seen. Not a single person had any idea how the human body would react after getting shot. It was laughable. The acting by featured players isn't much better in the first 15 minutes, and I was convinced I had hit my first dud of the challenge.
Once the film settles into the procedural search for the reason behind the killings, a really coot atmosphere starts to bleed through. Hard to describe, but it really reminded me of the criminally overlooked Angel Heart (1987). A PI/cop takes on a case where it's very unclear what he's actually even searching for. On the surface, a missing person is at the heart of the mystery, but by the end of both films, it becomes clear that what we're seeing on screen is a metaphor for inner turmoil within the protagonist.
Just as with the use of De Niro's character in the aforementioned cult hit, genre trappings are avoided in God Told Me To by turning the protagonist's search for answers inward. Tony Lo Bianco is no De Niro, but he gives off an authentic enough performance as a tough-minded NYC cop. Robert Forster was actually originally cast in the lead, and I think even shot some scenes, but quit because he couldn't take Larry Cohen's constant yelling. I would have LOVED to see Forster in this, but oh well.
The flashback scenes are perfectly in Cohen's wheelhouse, and look as if they've been ripped straight out of a '50's B-movie. Overall, a very enjoyable, quick watch that overcomes a weird, campy start.

Bonus Shot Context:

Up Next: Venom (1981)

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Friday the 13th 4: the Final Chapter (1984)

I feel this may be the most iconic one of the series. It has all the elements you expect from the series, plus it introduces Tommy Jarvis. I found the interesting thing about this to be how little we actually see of Jason. He appears early in the movie, but we don't really see him much until the third act after that. We do see his kills, but Jason is hidden from view. He comes off as a force of nature. This pays off in the third act, where we finally see the force up close.

Speaking of the third act, the climax of the film is probably my favourite of the series. We get a lengthy battle with the final girl, Tommy going mad, and a very gruesome end for Jason.

I'm going to skip part 5, but I'll be watching part 6 in a few weeks and I may watch part 7 this season as well.

Rewatches (2): Maniac Cop, Friday the 13th 3, Friday the 13th 4
First time watches (2): Mortuary, Little Evil

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

X-Ray Pecs posted:

1974, right? Didn't it take about 5 years to make?

Yeah it did. It's just a bizarre coincidence that it matches up so well with Dune ( makes sense though because of the book sort of the box I don't believe was in the book but it's been awhile) and Star Wars.

Like if you look for it you'll notice all these bizarre coincidences like the bar name etc..

Phantasm may be the greatest horror film made through just sheer incompetence and willpower. Like from the view that it's all a young boys way of coping with death etc. all the Star War / Dune stuff makes sense

However, none of those films were even made yet when this was in production

Phantasm has been my go to background film for a while now but I have switched over to Fright Night

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Sep 22, 2017

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

The Cat

This is one of those movies you've never heard, but you know somewhere in the back of your mind that you are missing. Made by the director of forums favorite "Story of Rikki", this is the story of a space cat fighting an evil space mushroom parasite, and the chinese author who is trying to get to the bottom of the affair.

"According to ancient legend, having a black cat cross your path could be a sign of good luck ... or it might be just the opposite! When a black cat with mystical powers and more than nine lives wreaks havoc on a small city, is it preordination or just coincidence? You be the judge. Stars Gloria Yip and Waise Lee."

It has such great moments as:
Vodka bombs
Cat shaped holes knocked in wondows
Cat vs Dog Fight with stop motion puppets
Giant space mushroom consuming people
Oily armpit fetish
Ghostbuster's 2 ripoff

And many more. Not to be missed.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

2. Phantom of the Paradise (1974, Brian De Palma)

He sold his soul for rock and roll!

One of the great disappointments is that there's so many adaptations of Phantom of the Opera, yet nearly every one of them misses the mark. The silent has an iconic Lon Chaney performance, but not much else. The 40s remake has a great lead with Claude Rains, but no much else. Even the movie adaptation of the Webber musical looks pretty, but that's it. Little did I know there was this wonderful cult classic that not only has the best take on the story, but owns in every way possible.

Brian De Palma's film is the rare horror-comedy musical that surpasses everything it sets out to do. It's fun to see so much ambition hit a bullseye. The music is great, the whole film looks like a live-action cartoon, and there's not a weak performance. At front is William Finley as composer Winslow Leach. He plays Leach with this wonderful naïveté that only gets funnier until he finally cracks... and becomes the Phantom. It helps that he has one of those faces that sticks with you, but he's not muted by the inclusion of a mask (which is the coolest mask in the history of cinema, by the way). I thought it was a joke that Paul Williams could play a diabolical music producer, such as Swan. Yet he's chilling to the bone, with this smug assuredness. He really stands out in one particular scene exposing a quite important plot point. Jessica Harper is wonderful as Phoenix. I love how strong she is as a character, resisting to become part of the grossness of music. At first. I really wish I've seen more films with her (Suspiria is in my to-watch list). Also, Gerrit Graham is absolutely hilarious as Beef - whether it's every ridiculous facial expression and that voice.

What really makes this film own are the visuals. From the first frame, everything is stylized to the max. Colors pop from the screen. Everything is shot either in deep focus or in wide-angle. There's split-screen scenes, handheld running shots, long 360 shots, and plenty of montages. Even the shoddy-looking matte work due to a lawsuit works, giving stretches this almost fluorescent blown-out look. There's no attempt to aim for realism, but instead making it somewhat of a pop art piece. I love the design for The Phantom, taking a bird-like silver helmet with only one opaque eye, a cape, and leather jacket. It makes sense to have an essentially grayscale character appear in an otherwise candy-colored film.

The real star of the film are the songs, though. Paul Williams manages to nail a dozen different musical styles, ranging from doo wop, heavy metal, piano ballads, to The Beach Boys. They're all tremendously catchy, but with smart lyrics. I didn't notice until this second viewing that the song at the beginning (Goodbye Eddie, Goodbye) pretty much tells the story of the film. You also have songs re-appearing in different arrangements, echoing the way Leach's Faust was stolen.

It's a drat shame this is only a cult classic, since it really is a great film that deserved more. Then again, being a cult classic is an honor that makes a film that more special to people.

1a/b: The Creeping Terror/The Creep Behind the Camera

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Egbert Souse posted:

Even the movie adaptation of the Webber musical looks pretty

It really, really does not.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Hollismason posted:

Yeah it did. It's just a bizarre coincidence that it matches up so well with Dune ( makes sense though because of the book sort of the box I don't believe was in the book but it's been awhile) and Star Wars.

Like if you look for it you'll notice all these bizarre coincidences like the bar name etc..

Phantasm may be the greatest horror film made through just sheer incompetence and willpower. Like from the view that it's all a young boys way of coping with death etc. all the Star War / Dune stuff makes sense

However, none of those films were even made yet when this was in production

Phantasm has been my go to background film for a while now but I have switched over to Fright Night

It's been awhile since I read the book, but isn't "fear is the killer" one word short of an exact quote from the book?

#5: Phantasm II

Just what a sequel to Phantasm should be. Using callbacks, references, and even plot beats and their timing from the first movie, Phantasm II still manages to have its own voice and is never an also-ran of the original. Part of that is how it expands the scope of The Tall Man's terror without giving too much detail, and part of it is a loving dose of Sam Raimi, particularly Evil Dead II: Dead By Dawn; Coscarelli even puts Raimi in the movie as a sight gag. But it also feels like Coscarelli wants to one-up Raimi at the same time, just like Raimi and Craven's infamous beef. Bodies go flying across rooms, Reggie carries a quadruple-barrel sawed-off shotgun, there's a King Ball, many of the eccentricities of the first Phantasm and Evil Dead II are cranked up even further. The presentation and editing are slicker this time around. The story isn't anywhere near as jumbled and the film loses a lot of the dream logic that made the first so appealing, but that's just a part of Phantasm II finding its own niche instead of redoing the first. It's a funnier, more palatable version of the first movie, but breaks new ground for the series.

Completed: Beyond the Black Rainbow, Rabid, The Driller Killer, Phantasm*, Phantasm II

*denotes rewatches

[/quote]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I just recently marathoned all of the Phantasms and up until like the latest they all hold up especially 2 and 3. Like 2 is a legit great sequel and just a weird.

I don't think they'd ever match though the weirdness of 1 though

edit:

I'm watching Fright Night and every time I pick up on some new fantastic detail

• Locked thread