Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

infernal machines posted:

Has this one been floating around for a while? I had drinks with a client and another local business owning shithead who was there trotted this one out in between bitching that it wasn't really "their" land anyway, and complaining that employees had too many rights.

CBC Indigenous twote about it last week, which is where I heard about it first https://twitter.com/CBCIndigenous/status/908011974000300033

e: she published that letter Sep 1 on her senate website, so says the CBC

flakeloaf fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Sep 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
I'm guessing it's been a talking point for a while because this conversation was back in June.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Y'know my grandmother seemed to have had a good time in residential school. However she is also very hosed up in some ways.

Let's call it a wash

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

I imagine the guidelines go something like the following;

quote:

Senator Beyak,

In response to your recent letter regarding the status of Canadians identifying as members of the First Nations, the Conservative leadership has established a series of guidelines moving forwards in regards to any further comments you may wish to make;

1) Are you going to comment on the status of First Nations people?
If yes, SHUT THE gently caress UP
If no, good. Continue shutting the gently caress up.

As a result of your comments, we have felt it prudent to remove you from any position where your rampant stupidity and racism might actually be heard. Next time you should think before putting crayon to construction paper.

gently caress you.
With warmest regards,
Sen. Larry Smith
Conservative Senate Leader

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Force Senators to go through live American Idol judging every 5 years where all Canadians are requiring to vote through an app whether or not they are allowed to continue being a Senator.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Falstaff posted:

The latter is never going to happen without a major sea change in the Canadian political landscape, because the Maritimes is full of olds who'd never, ever vote for an NDP candidate.

There was an NDP government in Nova Scotia everyone hated.

Man, my "National Post isn't that right wing" from last week was really naiive, as they've had cover stories that are all :cry: What about the Rich? Why should we tax them more to give to the "poor":cry: since the Libs tax plan release.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

MA-Horus posted:

:laffo: if you think it's anywhere near that correct ethically speaking, and not just naked political pragmatism.

brucio
Nov 22, 2004

Falstaff posted:

The latter is never going to happen without a major sea change in the Canadian political landscape, because the Maritimes is full of olds who'd never, ever vote for an NDP candidate.

Eh? Megan Leslie and Peter Stoffer? Even Cape Breton had an NDP MP 20 years ago. And are you forgetting that the NDP held govt in NS in the last decade?

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

brucio posted:

Eh? Megan Leslie and Peter Stoffer? Even Cape Breton had an NDP MP 20 years ago. And are you forgetting that the NDP held govt in NS in the last decade?

I was speaking federally (even New Brunswick, fiefdom of the Irving bloodline, has had an MLA - and I've spoken to people who voted for her in the past, who react with revulsion at the idea of voting for the NDP at the federal level.)

But yes, Megan Leslie and Peter Stoffer did slip my mind. My bad.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Furnaceface posted:

He isnt wrong though? The NDP have given up their ability to pull the political discourse of this dumb country back to the left every time the Cons and Libs push to the right just for a singular chance to be the governing party.

i wasn't laughing at him for being wrong

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Trudeau just gave a speech to the UN, he was handing out platitudes for all to hear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wwE5eB-NuQ scroll back on the timeline

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
Liberals need to learn from game devs. If you nerf a class, people will get mad. Better to buff the other classes to parity. Clearly they should just allow everyone to structure their personal income as corporate income and decide year-by-year how much they are going to pay corporate taxes on, how much personal taxes, and how much they are going to distribute as dividends. Total freedom! And a huge windfall for the tax accounting industry! Who wants a salary from a company when your employer can instead be the primary source of revenue for your sole proprietorship? Then it could truly be said that corporations are people, and we will have achieved the neoliberal dream.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
That's what I keep saying. Don't kill the Indian act, just let it apply to everyone else too.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

The Liberals popularity has not been touched by tax reform, either the only people that care are already Conservatives or Andrew Scheer is an ineffective opposition leader.

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

DariusLikewise posted:

The Liberals popularity has not been touched by tax reform, either the only people that care are already Conservatives or Andrew Scheer is an ineffective opposition leader.

Both of these things are true.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

THC posted:

they’re all fine, honestly. we should have co-leaders like Québec solidaire

Given how efficiently we import all things American, I'm surprised nobody tries to run a federal campaign with a Vice President-equivalent. Seems easy enough: leader of a party points to someone and says "when elected I'll appoint this person Governor General, in the meantime they campaign for me".

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..

Bleu posted:

Both of these things are true.

I bet under 50% of the Canadian voting population could tell you who the federal conservative leader was.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Le Saboteur posted:

I bet under 50% of the Canadian voting population could tell you who the federal conservative leader was.

Creepy McFuckFace

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
A living, breathing human anus

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Stands to reason but doesn't really narrow it down any.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
Number of Ontarians who could name the federal conservative leader vs Ontarians who could name the provincial NDP leader? I'd pick very narrow win for conservatives.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

TheKingofSprings posted:

Yeah but which member of the Conservative Party?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

TheKingofSprings posted:

But enough about PT6A

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

Le Saboteur posted:

Milk Chugger

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Le Saboteur posted:

anime?

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

MA-Horus posted:

No, you see, she went on a double-date with a First Nations couple once, so there's no way she could be racist.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Le Saboteur posted:

The photo that came with the frame.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Duck Rodgers posted:

What's their reasoning for being anti-gmo? There are legitimate socio-economic issues tied to industrial agriculture related to the use of GM crops in developing countries ie. GM crops require a lot of other produced inputs that are expensive, so poor farmers can't keep up and end up getting bought out and going broke. This is because GM crops were developed largely in the US, for American farmers, and little thought was given to the different circumstances of farmers in India and elsewhere.

Also the majority of new GM crops being developed in Canada and elsewhere are oil crops, largely to try and cash in on the biofuels market. So the idea that GM crops are going to feed the world is largely a myth. That really shouldn't be surprising though since public plant research has largely been defunded, and there's no money to be made developing crops to feed people that can't afford food. Like anything else, the biotechnology industry would really benefit from more public involvement.

The whole health concern thing is silly though, and largely serves to draw attention away from the legitimate concerns with the industry.

Do you really think that the idiots railing against GMOs are the type of people who give a poo poo about foreign countries being exploited?

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
Oh hey, Trudeau was in New York for the UN or something but check out his socks.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Powerful sock game.

toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE
Hair and socks? This guy can do everything. :shlick:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

The Dark One posted:

Oh hey, Trudeau was in New York for the UN or something but check out his socks.

I'm so....proud?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Rather that than large suits and orange makeup.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Trudeau probably gets his tailor to give him extra short pants just to make sure the press get a good shot of whatever socks he's wearing [so that they ignore the content of whatever speech he made]

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
If you people actually watched his UN speech, there were two young UN staffers oogling him in some of the side profile shots. His brand is very strong.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It's what he's there for. He's a fashion model to draw media attention while libs gonna lib in the background

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

Do you really think that the idiots railing against GMOs are the type of people who give a poo poo about foreign countries being exploited?

I mean these arguments exist and are put forward by people other than me so it's possible. There's also a lot of idiots who think that GMOs are going to solve world hunger.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Duck Rodgers posted:

There's also a lot of idiots who think that GMOs are going to solve world hunger.

Bill Gates, noted idiot. http://www.wsj.com/video/bill-gates-gmos-will-end-starvation-in-africa/3085A8D1-BB58-4CAA-9394-E567033434A4.html

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

vyelkin posted:

Trudeau probably gets his tailor to give him extra short pants just to make sure the press get a good shot of whatever socks he's wearing [so that they ignore the content of whatever speech he made]

Suit pants are supposed to ride up like that normally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Vintersorg posted:

Suit pants are supposed to ride up like that normally.

If they didn't you'd be walking on your cuffs.