Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Great. I ordered some wheels from a breaker, on the basis that the PCD should be what I want (checked a couple of sites, both gave the same info). Now looks like they might not be the right PCD. Ah well. I guess I'll see when they turn up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Rhyno posted:

Don't sweat it, it's not for everyone.

Wait what? A normal, non-insulting response to someone saying they don't like something, on the internet?!

What the hell is this bizzaro world

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

cakesmith handyman posted:

"Surprise, we'll all go out for a meal tonight" says our visit organiser. Bugger, thinks cakesmith. Of course my favorite translator sits beside me so I made the most of it, managed to have a lovely chat and get her taking about herself, living in St Petersburg, her experiences, life etc. I stay involved in the general conversation as well, make everyone laugh talking about the British car industry etc, it's all going great.
Comes time to leave and she's right on my arm, asks if we're going for another drink? Nah, I've got to pack as we're off straight from work tomorrow.

"Oh, so a coffee?"

So I'm sweating away here and bless her the only other woman in the group comes to my rescue and drags her off, yes she'll have a coffee, girly chat etc we all set off back to the hotel. I end up in the lift with the pair of them and I can see this other woman is silently laughing at my obvious awkwardness as the translator has more than once "accidentally" leant on me. Luckily both these women are on the same floor, not mine.

I know this sounds like mediocre STDH but honestly I'm neither smooth not confident and it's funny as hell to me after the fact.

Oh also the two Russians she's translator for were making obviously lewd gestures at us the whole night, thanks for the moral support there fellas.

You're a better person than I am most people are.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

You Am I posted:

So something like this happened to you?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2Of8Av0nBA

Pretty much, yeah. Ironically it worked the other way for my ex wife. I can name 5 guys that completely fell in love with her while she was married to me. The last one contributed directly to our divorce, then lost all interest the second she became single.

angryrobots posted:

Exactly. Good on you, man.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

LloydDobler posted:

Pretty much, yeah. Ironically it worked the other way for my ex wife. I can name 5 guys that completely fell in love with her while she was married to me. The last one contributed directly to our divorce, then lost all interest the second she became single.

Exactly. Good on you, man.

have you tried marrying dudes? then both of you have the same ring powers.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Elsa posted:

have you tried marrying dudes? then both of you have the same ring powers.

There's only one ring that has any power

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

MrChips posted:

Wait what? A normal, non-insulting response to someone saying they don't like something, on the internet?!

What the hell is this bizzaro world

He works at a comic book store, that part of his brain is probably burned out.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

mekilljoydammit posted:

Firman's OK. We tested that 3500W open frame one at work - as I recall, the engine is kind of understressed in that if you pull full load the electronics are limiting it and the engine's not hitting WOT. Probably a deliberate design decision. We broke it in testing but we were doing some weird things that average owners wouldn't. Have not tested Firman's 2100 watt inverter.

Any of the non-inverter ones are going to vary the frequency a bit with load - the spec they have to meet is somewhere between 63 and 57hz. They're pretty duh-simple though and as you noticed you get a bit more power per dollar. The industrial type guys who use them all the time gravitate towards the open frame ones because they cool better at full load - most of the RV type people gravitate towards the plastic cased ones because they're quieter. If you're not going to be hammering the thing at full load in 100+ degree weather a lot, I do like the plasticey inverters personally.

Thanks for this. I think I'll pick up that 2100W inverter type Firman from Costco. If it sucks I can return it, but I think it will fit the bill for fridge/freezer and possible sump pump duty in case of a power outage.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

I would go that route and if you end up needing something bigger for big resistive loads then you can probably get one used for <$200. At least my local craigslist has a bunch of 4-6kW units which supposedly work with asking prices of 150-200.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Cage posted:

Last year I got a legit email from paypal about paying $200 for some phone from ebay. Somehow someone bought an ebay item (not my account) and used my paypal to pay for it. No one was able to explain how. It was being shipped nowhere near me to some company that buys things in the US and then ships them overseas. Luckily my bank was able to get my money back.

Had that happen too. They got a leather coat and tried to get an iPhone 7.

Thank gently caress I only had a debit card on PayPal, and not my actual checking account. Only the coat charge went through, and I got ahold of the seller before they shipped it to let them know it was fraud.

Paypal was a bag of dicks to deal with about it, but that shouldn't surprise anybody.

NEVER link your ebay and paypal accounts.. if someone gets your ebay password, they're into your paypal account too. :argh:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

angryrobots posted:

For not sleeping with her? What's one night vs the 17 years I've loved my wife, plus what it'd do to my kids.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

gently caress paypal with a cactus. I will only use it as a last resort and the only thing I will ever give them is a temporary credit card number with a credit limit of a few dollars more than whatever I am buying and a very short expiration date.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

For not sleeping with her? What's one night vs the 17 years I've loved my wife, plus what it'd do to my kids.
To be ABSOLUTELY CLEAR I would never, ever advocate cheating on your spouse, and you are a good man for not even seriously considering it, but a one night stand fling =/ divorce, marrying her and breaking your family apart. People have made bad impulsive decisions and had trysts and it doesn't necessarily mean absolute carnage and disaster.

Galler posted:

I would go that route and if you end up needing something bigger for big resistive loads then you can probably get one used for <$200. At least my local craigslist has a bunch of 4-6kW units which supposedly work with asking prices of 150-200.
Yeah, that's kind of what I'm thinking too. I did look local for used and there isn't much, and what there is is quite overpriced, but I'm pretty sure the 2k watt will be adequate for what I need.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

DICK DICER posted:

There's only one ring that has any power

One ring to rule them all

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

Coasterphreak posted:

One ring to rule them all

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

You're gonna get eaten by a Bicorn, you know that, right?

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

Paging any Danish goons - how hosed am I if i want to import a car into Denmark? My girlfriend has gotten a job in copenhagen and I was thinking of getting us a car for there. I've heard some absolute horror stories about the registration tax there, but playing around on an import tax calculator leads me to believe that importing an E34 525i would be cheaper than actually buying one there.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Rhyno posted:

Deadpool is fun and hilarious but it's ugly as poo poo. It's one of the worst looking films of the genre.

I thought that was part of the point? As in 'we don't have an Avengers level budget, so gently caress it, we're doing this anyway.' Like the Deadpool leaving his guns in the cab scene happened because they didn't want to rent them or pay for the effects.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Grakkus posted:

Paging any Danish goons - how hosed am I if i want to import a car into Denmark? My girlfriend has gotten a job in copenhagen and I was thinking of getting us a car for there. I've heard some absolute horror stories about the registration tax there, but playing around on an import tax calculator leads me to believe that importing an E34 525i would be cheaper than actually buying one there.

i think one of the questions is probably from where

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Grakkus posted:

Not at all hosed, as long as you're prepared for a bit of bureaucracy. Be aware that the registration tax system has been changed recently (literally this week), so maybe wait until that gets worked out to all the appropriate systems. I don't know exactly how this will affect older cars, but new cars will get all kinds of adjustments due to safety gear and such.

And yes, importing an older car is a decent idea. The reason is that you also pay registration for any options on a new car here. But with imported cars, optional equipment is exempt AFAIK. So get the absolute most loaded E34 you can possibly find. If you can, import a car from southern Germany, where they don't salt the roads.

Insurance on a 525i is going to be rather high, but I assume you're aware of this already. I pay ~$1,500/year for comprehensive insurance on my 2.2L Peugeot 406, with a ~$900 deductible., and I'm with one of the least expensive insurance companies we have. This is why I'm selling it and getting a smaller car, and I expect my insurance costs to be around half. Not to mention gas is really expensive here.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Sep 22, 2017

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I think you mistake my compliment for some judgment?

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Grakkus posted:

I can't help, but curiosity demands I ask where are you importing from? Mainly because I want to know why don't you ever post in the bmw thread (I have a 525i e34 and plan on an engine upgrade soon. It is low powered but I love the design and chassis).
Also while reading various e34 forums I noticed they are still loved in Latvia so cars around, and of course Denmark is where schmiedmann is based.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Sep 22, 2017

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Had that happen too. They got a leather coat and tried to get an iPhone 7.

Thank gently caress I only had a debit card on PayPal, and not my actual checking account. Only the coat charge went through, and I got ahold of the seller before they shipped it to let them know it was fraud.

Paypal was a bag of dicks to deal with about it, but that shouldn't surprise anybody.

NEVER link your ebay and paypal accounts.. if someone gets your ebay password, they're into your paypal account too. :argh:
I did the same, contacted the seller and they held it for me. They didn't use my ebay account though, which was the weird part.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Liquid Communism posted:

I thought that was part of the point? As in 'we don't have an Avengers level budget, so gently caress it, we're doing this anyway.' Like the Deadpool leaving his guns in the cab scene happened because they didn't want to rent them or pay for the effects.

Yes it was part of the point - Deadpool had for a comic book movie an absurdly small budget. It shows and they even lampshade it several times - it was a project Reynolds really fought hard to come to fruition in the way it did and the studio gave him relatively nothing to work with and thats why it looks the way it does and a lot of cost trimming went on. No one was expecting Deadpool to make any real money at all, let alone be so remarkably profitable.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Grakkus posted:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

i think one of the questions is probably from where

Very much so.

KozmoNaut posted:

Clever words.

To expand on what Kozmonaut says, it's not all that difficult, just expensive. People do it all the time, as both selection, options and rustiness are much better elsewhere (read: Germany.) One thing to note is that there is some uncertainty about the final tax, so you need to be able to stomach 10-20% more than estimated. Could also go in your favor though.

You can even have an agent help you. There are a bunch.

Do note that there's a road tax paid yearly for cars, based on (theoretical) fuel consumption. Some things, like old diesels without particulate filter, are prohibitively expensive because of this.

Finally, Copenhagen City has pretty awesome public transportation, is the perfect city for cycling, and can be a bit of a pain to navigate by car, so maybe try before you buy? Oh, and there's a couple of very decent rent-an-electric-car-by-the-minute options. If you're somewhere in the suburbs, a car makes more sense.

Edit: Kozmo, I believe options are linearly "written off" over eight years, so if the car is over that age, it doesn't matter whether it's poverty spec or loaded. It wouldn't make sense for almost new cars, then everybody would import loaded one-month old cars.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Yes it was part of the point - Deadpool had for a comic book movie an absurdly small budget. It shows and they even lampshade it several times - it was a project Reynolds really fought hard to come to fruition in the way it did and the studio gave him relatively nothing to work with and thats why it looks the way it does and a lot of cost trimming went on. No one was expecting Deadpool to make any real money at all, let alone be so remarkably profitable.

The initial budget was indeed small but they did some very expensive reshoots and pickups later in the production and for some reason this gets omitted from the budget reports.
Buy I lay it being ugly and poorly shot in the shoulders of the inexperienced director who got his rear end fired from the sequel.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

angryrobots posted:

I think you mistake my compliment for some judgment?

No sorry, this is just a new experience for me.

In less fun news I think I have a parking ticket for the damned hire car but I won't know until the ticket is forwarded to me whether it's 17, 35 or 135 euros. Doubt I can expense it, learning experience I suppose.

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

To elaborate, I'm currently based in Warsaw, Poland and would be importing from here, so it would be from within the EU. I'm fine with bureaucracy as I've shuffled a fair few cars around between different countries in the past - it's more that I've read stories like

quote:

I bought a Smart car in the UK in 2002 at a cost of £8,000. When I wanted to bring it to Denmark in 2008, the registration fee was 80,000 kroner. That is £8,700. That is £700 more than I paid for it and it was 6 years old. I bought a new car in Denmark - for 120,000 kroner - instead.

And the concept of paying a car's value again to import it pains me. (By comparison, import tax on sub-2L engine cars to Poland is 2% of their value, or 20% for 2+L cars) My W124 300CE is worth about 4,000 euros here and the import tax calculator I've played with would have me paying about 6,000 for the privilege of driving it in Denmark. By comparison, the 525i in question would cost me about 1200 euros and then another 1700ish to import which is more palatable. Of course, this is all based on a calculator I found online and I have no idea if it's accurate - are the figures in the ballpark or is it totally wrong?

KozmoNaut posted:

Insurance on a 525i is going to be rather high, but I assume you're aware of this already. I pay ~$1,500/year for comprehensive insurance on my 2.2L Peugeot 406, with a ~$900 deductible., and I'm with one of the least expensive insurance companies we have. This is why I'm selling it and getting a smaller car, and I expect my insurance costs to be around half. Not to mention gas is really expensive here.

Is comprehensive required? Or can I get away with basic insurance? Any damage that doesn't render the car undriveable I can have fixed in Poland for probably less than the cost of the comprehensive insurance.

Fo3 posted:

I can't help, but curiosity demands I ask where are you importing from? Mainly because I want to know why don't you ever post in the bmw thread (I have a 525i e34 and plan on an engine upgrade soon. It is low powered but I love the design and chassis).
Also while reading various e34 forums I noticed they are still loved in Latvia so cars around, and of course Denmark is where schmiedmann is based.

The reason is that I don't actually have it yet :) A friend is selling it (https://www.olx.pl/oferta/bmw-525i-kombi-CID5-IDkHFGA.html) and we need a big car to take our poo poo to Copenhagen, it's cheap and I've always wanted an e34. I'd either register it there, or bring it back and sell it in the future if keeping it is unviable. It's cheaper than renting a car. (and more fun)

bolind posted:

You can even have an agent help you. There are a bunch.

Do note that there's a road tax paid yearly for cars, based on (theoretical) fuel consumption. Some things, like old diesels without particulate filter, are prohibitively expensive because of this.

Finally, Copenhagen City has pretty awesome public transportation, is the perfect city for cycling, and can be a bit of a pain to navigate by car, so maybe try before you buy? Oh, and there's a couple of very decent rent-an-electric-car-by-the-minute options. If you're somewhere in the suburbs, a car makes more sense.

Any chance you could take a wild guess at how much such a road tax would be? The 525i theoretically burns about 9.5L/100km.

Also, I know a car wouldn't really be necessary to live in Copenhagen, but I know myself and being carless makes me positively loving miserable :)

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
What are the rules, though, on driving a foreign plated car? Maybe you can get away with it by just leaving the country briefly every six months or so.

e.g. I can tool around the USA in pretty much anything for up to a year, as long as the car leaves the country (or is scrapped) when I do.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

Platystemon posted:

Someone on Reddit had a few problems with their Volt and left this with the dealership.

“Diagnosis: The ECM had to be reset or replaced or something, it was causing all the problems ever. And yes, it was covered under the electric warranty.
When I came in to pick it up and identified myself, they made me say "poo poo is hosed!" to multiple people, including the manager, before checking me out. Even the sales guy knew of me.”

Crossposting from the EV thread because this is hilarious.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
my sons name is also spaceship

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Boy howdy, this "orthostatic hypotension" sure is fun!
*falls down, sprains ankle for third time in 4 days*

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Went out to the shops in my landrover today. Broke down on the way home. It felt down on power for a while and then it just stopped running.

I walked the 2 miles home and then drove back out to it. Tested loads of stuff and eventually it just started again.

It looks like my thread has now been archived too. I'm feeling a bit stumped as to what the issue with it is.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

As a North American, I was shocked when I met a Norwegian who told me about the hoops and bullshit ($$$) he had to go through to import a C4 Vette into his homeland. It was something absurd, like $50-60K equivalent by the time he got it plated and could drive it. I think he paid $15K for it in Canada or US.

Really, really wanted a C4 I guess :shrug:

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
It's ridiculous to get anything from the US into Australia as well, wrong hand drive and all. Sucks both ways as no aussie falcons could be sold in NA too.
Luckily we in AU can get everything else worth having (euro cars via UK, Japan or SA, or anything Japanese). But no USA only cars here are cheap.
In the 90s lot's of mustangs and other 1960s cars were about with huge LHD sticker warnings, some people also got a lot of F series trucks back then. But I think all cars imported now have to be RHD, the exemption with just a sticker has long ended and it's 20k+ for a conversion.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Sep 22, 2017

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

slidebite posted:

To be ABSOLUTELY CLEAR I would never, ever advocate cheating on your spouse, and you are a good man for not even seriously considering it, but a one night stand fling =/ divorce, marrying her and breaking your family apart. People have made bad impulsive decisions and had trysts and it doesn't necessarily mean absolute carnage and disaster.

My wife wouldn't divorce me. She would, however, castrate me with a rusty set of garden shears. I wouldn't blame her.

Changing subject: why the gently caress has nobody come up with a decent way to search for used cars within a certain area? Craigslist is full of morons who think they have gold in that thar veehickle, dealerships are also overpriced and half the time they can't find the cars listed because they've either sold them or the lot boy moved them to god only knows where, and used-car lots have websites they set up in the mid 2000s and never updated again and, again, want to bend you over a barrel. I just want to be able to go to one place plug in "2005 or later, $10k or less, SUV with AWD/4WD, a backup camera would be nice" and have it spit out 5-15 things that match those criteria.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Tomarse posted:

Went out to the shops in my landrover today. Broke down on the way home. It felt down on power for a while and then it just stopped running.

I walked the 2 miles home and then drove back out to it. Tested loads of stuff and eventually it just started again.

It looks like my thread has now been archived too. I'm feeling a bit stumped as to what the issue with it is.
Fuel evaporation perhaps? How hot was it?

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Magnus Praeda posted:

My wife wouldn't divorce me. She would, however, castrate me with a rusty set of garden shears. I wouldn't blame her.

Changing subject: why the gently caress has nobody come up with a decent way to search for used cars within a certain area? Craigslist is full of morons who think they have gold in that thar veehickle, dealerships are also overpriced and half the time they can't find the cars listed because they've either sold them or the lot boy moved them to god only knows where, and used-car lots have websites they set up in the mid 2000s and never updated again and, again, want to bend you over a barrel. I just want to be able to go to one place plug in "2005 or later, $10k or less, SUV with AWD/4WD, a backup camera would be nice" and have it spit out 5-15 things that match those criteria.
https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for...iveGroup=AWD4WD

Change your location obvs.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Yeah, I've actually been using that and it works okay but it doesn't index everything, unfortunately. It does cut down some of the work, thankfully.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Yay back in the UK! *flies over seemingly gridlocked M1 through drizzle*

• Locked thread