Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
Edit didn't see the safe space thing when laying down some criticism. Will respect the OP's intent.

Rhymenoserous has a new favorite as of 16:16 on Sep 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
I have bronchitis and it's making me really loving tired and my supervisor who isn't actually my boss he's just my supervisor keeps going on and on about how he had bronchitis and he just powered through it, and I took half days the last two days because I was literally too tired to do my job, and I'm less tired now but I'm still so tired that I want to loving cry, and he just keeps going on about how he powered through it and you need to power through it and he doesn't believe that I'm actually sick as I am he hasn't actually come out and said that he doesn't think I'm that sick but it's just inherent in the way that he's talking to me about it? And I'm just really tired of this whole thing and really want to just go the gently caress home and never come back to this loving job ever again because I'm so loving tired of this poo poo. There are other things going on with this job that are shady but whatever I'm just tired I'm just tired and I want to be allowed to be sick. I got a loving doctor's note and everything but that wasn't good enough because my supervisor powered through it

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

Intoluene posted:

Imposter syndrome is a real thing and I think you're knee deep in it. You wouldn't have been hired unless they thought you could do it. I'm going through this poo poo with a new job myself and the confidence does build. Worst case, just loving ask somebody if you're not sure. You're the new guy, they're expecting questions from you.

I'm pretty sure I was hired based off my initial interview several months ago. The immediate manager wanted me and authorized to push me forward in the hiring process, but his boss nixed it due to corporate drama (my cousins, who would have been coworkers, had turned in evidence of him not doing his job). It was humiliating because I was made a martyr on the spot as a demonstration of his power in the office. Like he even brought engineers in to grill me on for a non engineering position. He physically took a few people off of real projects to grill me on topics not related to the position so he could walk me out in front of the staff and say "Nope, totally unqualified! Let me give you job hunting tips now!"

Anyway, I didn't go through another interview for this position, and it's an IT/call center ordeal. I'm totally a fish of of water, and it's hard to get a grasp of the rules when it seems like there are so many exceptions to the stated rules. I'm unaware of how to use most of the programs I'm supposed to be troubleshooting live, and it's one of the main reason I feel like it's not a case of imposter syndrome as I didn't earn poo poo getting here. It was more I just knew someone.

Rhymenoserous posted:

Edit didn't see the safe space thing when laying down some criticism. Will respect the OP's intent.

Now I'm curious what was said, and more importantly, if it was towards me!

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Pastry Mistakes posted:

I'm pretty sure I was hired based off my initial interview several months ago. The immediate manager wanted me and authorized to push me forward in the hiring process, but his boss nixed it due to corporate drama (my cousins, who would have been coworkers, had turned in evidence of him not doing his job). It was humiliating because I was made a martyr on the spot as a demonstration of his power in the office. Like he even brought engineers in to grill me on for a non engineering position. He physically took a few people off of real projects to grill me on topics not related to the position so he could walk me out in front of the staff and say "Nope, totally unqualified! Let me give you job hunting tips now!"

Anyway, I didn't go through another interview for this position, and it's an IT/call center ordeal. I'm totally a fish of of water, and it's hard to get a grasp of the rules when it seems like there are so many exceptions to the stated rules. I'm unaware of how to use most of the programs I'm supposed to be troubleshooting live, and it's one of the main reason I feel like it's not a case of imposter syndrome as I didn't earn poo poo getting here. It was more I just knew someone.

Now I'm curious what was said, and more importantly, if it was towards me!
your boss's boss is a childish and petty dickhole

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

Yeah, he was a massive knob and it was loving humiliating. He got poo poo canned a few months back though thankfully, which is the only reason I actually bothered to try to take on this job.

But now this position has its own stresses that are driving me nuts and filling me with anxiety. I've noticed that as I am getting older, my fear of failure is getting more excruciating. This is probably due to the fact that I realize I'm running out of time and have accomplished basically none of my life goals. This isn't even a field I want to be a part of, but I feel like I need to stick this out as much as I can so I can at least get some financial support so I can do being a total loving loser.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

InediblePenguin posted:

I have bronchitis and it's making me really loving tired and my supervisor who isn't actually my boss he's just my supervisor keeps going on and on about how he had bronchitis and he just powered through it, and I took half days the last two days because I was literally too tired to do my job, and I'm less tired now but I'm still so tired that I want to loving cry, and he just keeps going on about how he powered through it and you need to power through it and he doesn't believe that I'm actually sick as I am he hasn't actually come out and said that he doesn't think I'm that sick but it's just inherent in the way that he's talking to me about it? And I'm just really tired of this whole thing and really want to just go the gently caress home and never come back to this loving job ever again because I'm so loving tired of this poo poo. There are other things going on with this job that are shady but whatever I'm just tired I'm just tired and I want to be allowed to be sick. I got a loving doctor's note and everything but that wasn't good enough because my supervisor powered through it
ask him what college he got his medical degree from when he starts up again

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

InediblePenguin posted:

I loving hate people like that. Illness affects people differently. Only a loving moron thinks otherwise.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I've had the flu and toughed it out just fine! Everyone who's died from the flu just needs to man up a little!

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Through some error, my electricity got cut off and I've been in this hot rear end 92 degree house trying to get it turned back on for hours.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Had a guy from Hong Kong tell us that we're all giant wimps in Canada when we get really bad forest fire smoke, the air where he is from is much worse.

SORRY I'M ALLERGIC TO FOREST FIRE SMOKE, guess I'm just being a baby when my lungs and throat close up!

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

oldpainless posted:

Through some error, my electricity got cut off and I've been in this hot rear end 92 degree house trying to get it turned back on for hours.

more like oldcomfortless

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Picnic Princess posted:

Had a guy from Hong Kong tell us that we're all giant wimps in Canada when we get really bad forest fire smoke, the air where he is from is much worse.

SORRY I'M ALLERGIC TO FOREST FIRE SMOKE, guess I'm just being a baby when my lungs and throat close up!
Well la dee da Mr. "I don't want to induce COPD before I'm 70" aren't you well-to-loving-do! Didn't you know the only way to toughen up is constant low-level exposure to toxins? It worked in the Princess Bride.

-------------------------

I had to invest in a loving $400 interior car detail today with money I don't really..... have. It was a "this really can't wait anymore" thing--the car is a 2005 and hasn't been deep-cleaned once before I inherited it a few years ago--and it feels amazing in a way that is objectively worth the hustle it's going to take to pay it, but it's a stressful amazing. It's like when you're in one of those upper-class malls without a food court and designer-brand stores for brands you didn't even know had stores--yeah you're buying a high-quality piece of luggage that will last you through to your grandchildren, but just standing around reminds you of how poor you are in every other respect.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
$400 for a car cleaning lolwut. For $200 you could buy a steam cleaner AND a shop vac and do it all by yourself in 20 minutes. Nobody "has" to get a car cleaning. Are you entertaining diplimats or something?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

$400 for a car cleaning lolwut. For $200 you could buy a steam cleaner AND a shop vac and do it all by yourself in 20 minutes. Nobody "has" to get a car cleaning. Are you entertaining diplimats or something?
"Hey I don't know anything about your situation, but let me try to take a big steaming poo poo on it while breaking the primary thread rule."

Believe me or don't champ. No one cares.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
A thorough detailing on a car that hasn't ever been deep cleaned is worth every loving penny. The luxurious feeling lasts for forever! And bonus, now you can just wander up to any lovely carwash and get the same clean for a fraction of the price.

My day is already poo poo. I stood up out of bed and promptly fainted face-first into my nightstand. Never done that before. I lost two hours of time, my forehead has dent in it, and I can't afford to miss work. Hope I don't faint in front of a bunch of roughnecks. I'd never live that poo poo down.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

fizzymercy posted:

A thorough detailing on a car that hasn't ever been deep cleaned is worth every loving penny. The luxurious feeling lasts for forever! And bonus, now you can just wander up to any lovely carwash and get the same clean for a fraction of the price.

My day is already poo poo. I stood up out of bed and promptly fainted face-first into my nightstand. Never done that before. I lost two hours of time, my forehead has dent in it, and I can't afford to miss work. Hope I don't faint in front of a bunch of roughnecks. I'd never live that poo poo down.

Any theories as to why? I'd be highly tempted to go and see a doctor a) because fainting for no reason is weird, and b) slamming your head at full force into a solid object can be pretty dangerous. Be aware that some symptoms of a head injury can take a little while to manifest. Not to make you paranoid or anything.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
Jeza you were right, no paranoia needed. You probably saved my drat life dude. Not going into specifics, but once I read your post I realized I was loving up and went to the ER. I'm in the ICU and doing better. My job is even giving me time with pay!

I can't believe I'm dumb enough to think I was going to work like that. Goddamn US working conditions had me seriously convinced risking horrible death was worth trying to show up anyway.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

fizzymercy posted:

Jeza you were right, no paranoia needed. You probably saved my drat life dude. Not going into specifics, but once I read your post I realized I was loving up and went to the ER. I'm in the ICU and doing better. My job is even giving me time with pay!

I can't believe I'm dumb enough to think I was going to work like that. Goddamn US working conditions had me seriously convinced risking horrible death was worth trying to show up anyway.

Holy poo poo, hope you're doing okay. If he didn't say that, I would have.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Pastry Mistakes posted:

Yeah, he was a massive knob and it was loving humiliating. He got poo poo canned a few months back though thankfully, which is the only reason I actually bothered to try to take on this job.

But now this position has its own stresses that are driving me nuts and filling me with anxiety. I've noticed that as I am getting older, my fear of failure is getting more excruciating. This is probably due to the fact that I realize I'm running out of time and have accomplished basically none of my life goals. This isn't even a field I want to be a part of, but I feel like I need to stick this out as much as I can so I can at least get some financial support so I can do being a total loving loser.
I've never started a job with more than a vague idea of what I'm doing. Learn as you go, read up on what you're doing in your downtime, and explain to your coworkers that you're changing fields and might need help. Most reasonable people will be glad to help out someone new with what they know and you shouldn't be afraid to ask.

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Not sure where they live, but $400 for a thorough cleaning and detailing is on the high side but believable in my area. Steam cleaner, shop vac, air compressor to blow stuff out of vents, claybar for the exterior, ozone generator to get rid of any residual smells, plus taking a full day to do it all because you're not used to doing it for a living, it all really adds up.

fizzymercy posted:

Moral of the story: if you hit your head hard, get checked out because you might not be thinking completely clearly. Glad to hear you're being treated and doing better.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

fizzymercy posted:

That's crazy. I'm glad you're doing OK and that your job is cool with everything. Concussion and things can be insidious as gently caress.

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX

mind the walrus posted:

"Hey I don't know anything about your situation, but let me try to take a big steaming poo poo on it while breaking the primary thread rule."

poo poo not the primary thread rule

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.
I saw a guy (probably) die today. First time ever seeing it happen and hope to god the last. Bad car accident, he rolled the car a bunch of times onto our property after swerving to miss a vehicle whose lane he'd drifted into. He wasn't wearing a seatbelt, the car had no airbags, and he was ejected as the car was rolling. I'm pretty sure he was gone before the car stopped rolling, but we tried to save him anyway. First responders left without turning their siren on, so I'm not optimistic about his outcome. I'm just glad he didn't take out the van with a family in it, or any of us.

It's almost midnight and I'm exhausted but I'm afraid to go to sleep because I don't know what kind of nightmares I'm gonna have. :(

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

This was actually yesterday but I want to whine anyway. Sorry for all the words.

I went to catch the train to get to work, I live 2 stops away and it takes 5 minutes from station to station. Yesterday they decided to shut all 3 stations down to do some construction, there was warning, but there was a lot of misinformation. All the info at the stations and online claimed that there was a train running from the station to the west of my work (I live 2 stations to the east). I would just have to take a shuttle bus from my home station to the station west of work then take the train from that station to my work. I would have made it to work on time if that was the case. But it wasn't.

When I go to the westerly station I was told that the train turns around before it gets to my work station but didn't go the whole way there. There was no shuttle bus stopping at my work station because it wasn't considered an important stop. I work at one of the most popular tourist and family destinations in my province. Apparently city transit doesn't care about this. So no bus to work when the train is down. I decide to walk because it's really not far between stations. The train runs in the middle of a major roadway that is not pedestrian friendly, there are no sidewalks along this road at all. There is a pathway along the river just off the road, that apparently went up the side of an onramp over a bridge to access the road to my work's parking lot. So I'm like "okay, the bike path is fine, I'll walk, I'll be 20 minutes late but at least I'll get there."

Except the pathway was closed and torn up and fenced off for some kind of construction project. I couldn't tell from the station. So I get to the fence and am like "gently caress". I decide to just say screw it and cross the onramp and walk on a narrow curb with a steel barrier right beside it, cars passing me within inches, then climb over some barriers to continue on to work.

I was walking on the curb on the left while the fence for the construction was to the left of the white lines, forcing the cars to barely scrape by me. I was not happy about that.

It turned out that literally everyone who works at my venue who takes transit was 20 to 60 minutes late due to the stupid misinformation of a train running between the west and work station that my venue, that by 3 pm city transit changed the shuttle bus routes to service our station too because it was a really busy day and there was no loving staff.

Break relief at my particular location on grounds was so late for her shift that by the time I had my break I was ready to start closing duties during my 7 hour shift. It was really busy and I was by myself all day. It was just an all around lovely-rear end day. But I texted my husband asking if he could pick me up since there was no reasonable way for me to get home and he showed up with my favourite burger when I was done my shift so that helped relieve my rage.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

My grandma passed away Saturday, I sprained my ankle that evening, the girl I was seeing kind of ended it Sunday, and because I missed work today I lost a big account to another bank. Been a pretty lovely month.

Hannot
Nov 29, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I had to answer some questions via email for a job I really, really, REALLY want and genuinely think I would be good for. I got it into my head that I needed to send the responses fairly quickly, for some reason. They were pretty standard interview questions, but in the midst of my anxiety-ridden responding, I really missed the whole point of one. I basically just stated some tasks that were done instead of answering the real point of the question, which was about how I handle/can contribute in a certain situation. Worse still, I cut something out of my answer and as a result mentioned how someone had helped me instead of describing what I contributed.

Ugh. At least if I were rejected after answering everything well (particularly considering it was basically a take home quiz!), I could feel I did my best. Instead now I look like a self-centered jerk who didn't understand what they were asking for, and I'll lose this really important opportunity because of it.

I'm desperately hoping something else will make up for it, but... :smith:

Stago Lego
Sep 3, 2011

Haze Thank Liberty posted:

I had to answer some questions via email for a job I really, really, REALLY want and genuinely think I would be good for. I got it into my head that I needed to send the responses fairly quickly, for some reason. They were pretty standard interview questions, but in the midst of my anxiety-ridden responding, I really missed the whole point of one. I basically just stated some tasks that were done instead of answering the real point of the question, which was about how I handle/can contribute in a certain situation. Worse still, I cut something out of my answer and as a result mentioned how someone had helped me instead of describing what I contributed.

Ugh. At least if I were rejected after answering everything well (particularly considering it was basically a take home quiz!), I could feel I did my best. Instead now I look like a self-centered jerk who didn't understand what they were asking for, and I'll lose this really important opportunity because of it.

I'm desperately hoping something else will make up for it, but... :smith:

What ever happens, don't give up. I'm in the same position and know how much it sucks to fumble on a job you really want, but another chance will come by.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
So, I took monday off to coming down witha cold, I figured I was good to coast on it this week. But then I got a job interview and had to beg time off to go to it, and now I feel obligated to stay at work tonight because my cold has exploded into a full force one, and god help me I feel terrible but I am still here, punishing myself.

Yobgoblin
Mar 19, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Clapping Larry
Having nerve damage really loving sucks. Don't do drugs. Hope the drug cocktail im getting from the doctor doesn't zombify me too much after I get my big toe rebroken tomorrow. The new dishonored is pretty fun though.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

I saw and fed a stray momma cat and her three kittens today and I got real sad because I'm a big soft idiot who wants to save all of the cats but I don't have the space or money to.

So instead I just cried about cats for two hours because I'm dumb.

NarwhalParty
Jul 23, 2010
Long story short, we put an offer in on a house for the first time ever and they accepted somebody else's first. All that stress for nothing. I really don't think we'll be able to afford a place of our own. The only reason that place was affordable was because it was a foreclosure.

Now my targeted ads are full of houses I'll never be able to afford and it makes me sad.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I'm sick and just started my weekend.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Thought you said sharted.

My mom's cat died. Only a few months after mine passed away. We got them both a few days apart the same year without knowing each other's plans, and they were both our first cat since the one we had when I was a kid. Both were sudden deaths with only a few hours between normal and gone.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

NarwhalParty posted:

Long story short, we put an offer in on a house for the first time ever and they accepted somebody else's first. All that stress for nothing. I really don't think we'll be able to afford a place of our own. The only reason that place was affordable was because it was a foreclosure.

Now my targeted ads are full of houses I'll never be able to afford and it makes me sad.

I'm going to tell you, as someone who was in your position 5 years ago, you lucked the gently caress out. I got the house in my situation, and I had to put an extra 27000 into it within 3 years for surprise issues that the previous owner halfassed. Take that down payment money and invest it and keep saving for as long as you can.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
Nvm

Thin Privilege has a new favorite as of 10:26 on Sep 29, 2017

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
Quote =/= edit

ArtIsResistance posted:

poo poo not the primary thread rule

Gonna edit that in

Thin Privilege has a new favorite as of 10:03 on Sep 29, 2017

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
I had coffee and burritos and I still can't poo poo

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k

We Know Catheters posted:

Eat some undercooked chicken, or take antibiotics. I've had diarrhea for 4 days now!

Yobgoblin
Mar 19, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Clapping Larry

We Know Catheters posted:

are you allergic to laxatives?

Hannot
Nov 29, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Sociopastry posted:

I saw and fed a stray momma cat and her three kittens today and I got real sad because I'm a big soft idiot who wants to save all of the cats but I don't have the space or money to.

So instead I just cried about cats for two hours because I'm dumb.

It's not dumb. I hope someone comes along who might be able to help you find a place to care for them. It's hard to see them out on their own.

Stago Lego posted:

What ever happens, don't give up. I'm in the same position and know how much it sucks to fumble on a job you really want, but another chance will come by.

Thank you, friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
My loving head won't stop hurting.