Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Bape Culture posted:

All car everything is cool

except pt cruisers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

sneakyfrog posted:

except pt cruisers.

Do a Google Image Search for "cool PT cruiser". It's....something.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Funzo posted:

I bet they were all German

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Funzo posted:

I can just look in my garage.

I'm gonna go cry now.

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

I want one.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Funzo posted:

No results found. Did you mean PT Cruiser on fire?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

:perfect: That's amazing looking.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Rhyno posted:

I can just look in my garage.
I'm gonna go cry now.

I thought you got rid of it?

Also, life savers :lol: Good call

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

McTinkerson posted:

One of the fringe benefits of donks is that some of the suspension kits are well enough engineered that they also work great as a foundation for "Safari"/"Overland"/Rally-x builds.

Toss a donk kit on a ratty fifth generation Camaro. Add General Grabbers or your A/T tire of choice and you're all set to go rally crossing.

drat, now this seems kind of lacking.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Fo3 posted:

I thought you got rid of it?

Also, life savers :lol: Good call

I had a dude who was gonna give me cash for it but then he asked me to do payments.

Payments, on a $400 car.

I haven't even started it in forever, it'll probably explode and hopefully take me with it.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
At lunch with a friend, he went out to put money in the meter and took a couple snaps of something he saw out there.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvk18vx-nrY

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?

Ether Frenzy posted:

At lunch with a friend, he went out to put money in the meter and took a couple snaps of something he saw out there.

That is somebodys absolute genuine pride and loving joy.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Actual race starts at 5:00 for people like me that just want to skip to the money shot.

I was not in the least bit surprised which car won.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Memento posted:

Actual race starts at 5:00 for people like me that just want to skip to the money shot.

I was not in the least bit surprised which car won.

Seems somewhat odd that they didn't have a Challenger Hellcat in the mix. Next year the Demon would probably be the favorite to win, just from a pure power perspective if the driver can handle the launch well.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Not at all surprised at how it went, but :lol: at the statement that a $65k car running 12.2 in the 1/4 desperately needs more power.

I absolutely love that we live in a world where that is a completely valid and accurate statement.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
The trap speed on the Ferrari though, jesus.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer

At least he's self aware.

Pic was taken on the 405 where I literally didn't move an inch for over 5 mins.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

BlackMK4 posted:

The trap speed on the Ferrari though, jesus.

Now I wanna see a 1/2 mile result :argh:

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Ether Frenzy posted:

:fap:

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer

BoostCreep posted:

At least he's self aware.

Pic was taken on the 405 where I literally didn't move an inch for over 5 mins.

Wait isn't that highly illegal?

Like, worse than driving with NO plates?

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Olivil posted:

Wait isn't that highly illegal?

Like, worse than driving with NO plates?

It's California. For some reason the whole state treats plates as optional. I think it has to do with how the DMV gives you new plates (i.e. they don't. You have to wait while they're mailed to you)

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Is there not an oddity where you get 6 months grace to organise a plate for a new car? I seem to recall Steve Jobs never ran any plates, simply by buying a new car regularly.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
He was leasing them and I think they changed the laws after his death

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

CA doesn't give out temporary plates, so as long as your car is believably new-ish you don't need plates. That law has been changed and in 2019 they'll give out temp plates when you buy the car.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
A city cop pulled me over last week since he didn't like this setup; the exchange was pretty ridiculous. I mean, I can't complain too much since I've done it to myself here, and I should consider myself privileged to be able to argue with a cop in 2017.

"I pulled you over because of your license plate, is this car from Europe or something?"
"Yup it was built in Germany"
"OK well what you're doing here is running a fictitious plate and that's illegal"
"It's actually a bumper sticker, my license plate is mounted legally on the back"
"But you can't put a fake license plate on the back of your car like that"
"It looks nothing close to a legitimate US license plate, there's no way you could confuse it. If a bumper sticker is illegal, I'll take the ticket"
"Well I'm not gonna give you a ticket for it today but I want to make you aware what you're doing is illegal"

yyyyyeah...

625 ILCS 5/3-413 Sec. 3-413 posted:

Display of registration plates, registration stickers, and drive-away permits; registration plate covers.
(b) ... every registration plate shall at all times be securely fastened in a horizontal position to the vehicle for which it is issued so as to prevent the plate from swinging and at a height of not less than 5 inches from the ground, measuring from the bottom of such plate, in a place and position to be clearly visible and shall be maintained in a condition to be clearly legible, free from any materials that would obstruct the visibility of the plate...

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

NoWake posted:

A city cop pulled me over last week since he didn't like this setup; the exchange was pretty ridiculous. I mean, I can't complain too much since I've done it to myself here, and I should consider myself privileged to be able to argue with a cop in 2017.

"I pulled you over because of your license plate, is this car from Europe or something?"
"Yup it was built in Germany"
"OK well what you're doing here is running a fictitious plate and that's illegal"
"It's actually a bumper sticker, my license plate is mounted legally on the back"
"But you can't put a fake license plate on the back of your car like that"
"It looks nothing close to a legitimate US license plate, there's no way you could confuse it. If a bumper sticker is illegal, I'll take the ticket"
"Well I'm not gonna give you a ticket for it today but I want to make you aware what you're doing is illegal"

yyyyyeah...

While it might be technically legal, running German plates on a VW (or any other German car, it's just always VW's) outside of Europe is terrible car stuff and should be punishable by immediate forfeiture and exchange of said car for the equivalent Japanese, Korean or American econobox (whichever causes the most audible groans from the driver).

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I kinda think the plate is dumb, and totally opens you up to being pulled over like that. However, you totally acknowledge it and are self aware so :shrug: keep being you. Shine on.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I could sort of get away with running a Japanese-sized (but still plastic laminate, UK style manufacture) plate on the Suzuki or Daihatsu, because even though the allowance to do so is only valid for imports that won't fit a proper size plate, they're likely to get a pass.

But I'm a great believer in not giving out blatant excuses to be pulled over. Obey the little rules, and get away with breaking big ones.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

InitialDave posted:

But I'm a great believer in not giving out blatant excuses to be pulled over. Obey the little rules, and get away with breaking big ones.

This.

Why would you want to draw the attention of the police just to show everyone that you're GDM AF?

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Relatedly, just yesterday I saw an Audi with a big fake euro-style plate that was done up like a Washington State plate. Had the Mt. Rainier background and WA state crest in the blue box that normally has the EU country abbreviation and presumably even had the real plate number. But no way that is possibly legal, and I didn't see the real state-issued plate mounted anywhere, either.

Wish I could have caught a picture. That seems like it is just begging to get pulled over.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
It would be kind of neat to use whatever plate you wanted as long as it was approved by a DMV while mounted. Text is text as long as it isn't profane and legible.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

They want a standard size to make plate scanners more effective.

Plus they want the fees they can charge to sell you an official plate.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

xzzy posted:

They want a standard size to make plate scanners more effective.

Plus they want the fees they can charge to sell you an official plate.

I'm on the side of gently caress scanners :freep: but that isn't a discussion for here. They could charge more for a custom plate like they do vanity stuff.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I've thought it would be nice to cut down the front plate to just the numbers, or have a sticker made so it fit on the bumper instead of a bracket hanging down.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Or how about an RFID transponder you put in your vehicle or maybe even it's part of the car itself. No valid registration? Car won't go.

That's the way the world is going anyways, might as well save them the image processing and let stop lights/police cars/speed traps/toll booths ping you and get a positive ID.

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

xzzy posted:

Or how about an RFID transponder you put in your vehicle or maybe even it's part of the car itself. No valid registration? Car won't go.

That's the way the world is going anyways, might as well save them the image processing and let stop lights/police cars/speed traps/toll booths ping you and get a positive ID.

cool, another reason to drive old cars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

um excuse me posted:

It would be kind of neat to use whatever plate you wanted as long as it was approved by a DMV while mounted. Text is text as long as it isn't profane and legible.

I would love this because I want to have one of these plates

but in motorcycle-size, which was never something they made