Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Horses are the new candle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni

Solice Kirsk posted:

Wonder what kinds of riders they offer.

:perfect:

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Solice Kirsk posted:

Wonder what kinds of riders they offer.

Horse insurance prevents the owner from getting saddled with excessive liabilities.

yours is better

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

FrozenVent posted:

Horses are the new candle.

Spend less on horses.

Neigh.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Papa John Misty posted:

Spend less on horses.

Neigh.

I see the thread is galloping along today.

April
Jul 3, 2006

This is a fun one....

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/71lp9b/35k_in_debt_were_budgeting_but_feel_like_were_not/?st=j7vthzqj&sh=48ed88d3

quote:

I make $42,500/yr (that is including a new 10% raise that goes into effect on my next pay period), my wife makes $36,000. Between 9 credit cards, we owe just short of $24K (I know, I'm so mad I let myself get this out of hand). I owe $11K on my car (which is only worth $7,800), and my wife's car is leased at $500/month. No student loans - neither of us has a degree. We have absolutely no savings.
In our budget, the minimum payments on the above credit/loan/lease equate to over one-third of our monthly take-home pay. We don't eat out, we don't buy stuff we don't need (alcohol, clothes, video games, none of that kinda stuff). We just don't seem able to find the cash to throw at the debt and get on our feet. I know the raise will help, but I feel like it's not enough.
What frustrates me the most is that our combined salaries place us in a fairly enviable position for a lot Americans, but we can't enjoy where we are because we made way too many stupid decisions with credit cards in the first couple years of our relationship and are struggling month-to-month just to stay afloat.
And next year, I'll age out of my parents' health insurance. I don't know how we're going to get above the water enough to afford health insurance - which would put us in a relatively similar situation as now.
It all comes down to, I feel like we're doing everything right, but we're still being dragged down and can't get a hold on the debt. I've been too proud for too long - I need help, advice, whatever you have to offer.

Unsurprisingly, almost every single comment in the thread is some version of "holy poo poo, what is your wife driving, you can't afford that!"

And the OP has never replied at all.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

Weatherman posted:

What happens when one reports a mod in their own forum? Let's find out :v:

I did the crime, so I did the time.

April posted:

This is a fun one....

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/71lp9b/35k_in_debt_were_budgeting_but_feel_like_were_not/?st=j7vthzqj&sh=48ed88d3

Unsurprisingly, almost every single comment in the thread is some version of "holy poo poo, what is your wife driving, you can't afford that!"

What bae wants, bae gets.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

April posted:

This is a fun one....

Hahaha his only other comment is in some subreddit asking someone to make a naked version of a photo of his friend's girlfriend. I guess he wants to get out of debt via divorce

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Subjunctive posted:

I show $4,500 from Coinbase today, but they're also showing higher on the 7th too. They show a 10% drop over a month, though.

I think speculating on bitcoin is dumb, but recent price movements aren't really evidence of it.

There's this one exchange that has almost no volume, and when the price starts crashing "mysteriously" a single person will suddenly buy 10,000 coins at above market prices on it and it gets worked into some of the price aggregators because :bitcoin:

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

Inept posted:

Hahaha his only other comment is in some subreddit asking someone to make a naked version of a photo of his friend's girlfriend. I guess he wants to get out of debt via divorce

jesus christ that is one creepy-rear end-looking motherfuck of a subreddit

his wife's friend is cute tho

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

No defense of the human intended but don't horses need exercise every day?

Horses are perfectly happy being "pasture puffs" or expensive lawnmowers, they exercise themselves enough out in the field. Now if this lady wants to bring her horse to the top of its sport it'll need regular training and a fitness program, but if she is traveling that much she won't have the time to compete *anyway*. She'd be better off sending the horse on a part-lease so someone will pay her to ride it 2-3x a week to maintain its fitness instead of her paying the trainer to do that.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Youth Decay posted:

Horses are perfectly happy being "pasture puffs" or expensive lawnmowers, they exercise themselves enough out in the field. Now if this lady wants to bring her horse to the top of its sport it'll need regular training and a fitness program, but if she is traveling that much she won't have the time to compete *anyway*. She'd be better off sending the horse on a part-lease so someone will pay her to ride it 2-3x a week to maintain its fitness instead of her paying the trainer to do that.

Are....are there horse leases?

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

Solice Kirsk posted:

Are....are there horse leases?

If you have to ask...

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib
A horse lease is usually pretty good with money, at least for the horse owner.

I have two rich white people that lease my horse for their girls and it puts me up 400 bucks a month.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

pathetic little tramp posted:

I have two rich white people that lease my horse for their girls and it puts me up 400 bucks a month.

Sounds good with money for the customer, too. A horse for $200 a month, and you don't need to care if it bloats up and dies? Nice deal.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib

BarbarianElephant posted:

Sounds good with money for the customer, too. A horse for $200 a month, and you don't need to care if it bloats up and dies? Nice deal.

Oh no, they pay much more than 200. 400 is my profit after all the expenses.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Do you have insurance for when its intestines turn inside out?

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Breetai posted:

Four words: premium horse funeral service.

Do it, capitalism. I dare you.

I work at a newspaper. We've opened up our obituary process so that it does not have to come directly from a funeral home. Based on how many people now mention pets in obituaries, I asked the editor if he'd take a pet obituary itself.

He believes he would.

It has not happened yet, but if we could just get one dog obituary, I bet it would open us up to many more.

(Full obits are a minimum of $100, which while on the cheap end for print media, is still a nice amount of money coming in for the company.)

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Pet obits will take off in certain markets. Probably white upperclass urban centers.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib

cowofwar posted:

Do you have insurance for when its intestines turn inside out?

She's a racing horse so better chance her legs spontaneously break, but just standard insurance to cover if she starts a fire and burns down the barn or something

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Solice Kirsk posted:

Pet obits will take off in certain markets. Probably white upperclass urban centers.

https://twitter.com/dog_classifieds/status/875065311720075264

Crazy Mike
Sep 16, 2005

Now with 25% more kimchee.

RC and Moon Pie posted:

I work at a newspaper. We've opened up our obituary process so that it does not have to come directly from a funeral home. Based on how many people now mention pets in obituaries, I asked the editor if he'd take a pet obituary itself.

He believes he would.

It has not happened yet, but if we could just get one dog obituary, I bet it would open us up to many more.

(Full obits are a minimum of $100, which while on the cheap end for print media, is still a nice amount of money coming in for the company.)

This is where you offer a fake or free pet obituary to the paper just to get the ball rolling.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Crazy Mike posted:

This is where you offer a fake or free pet obituary to the paper just to get the ball rolling.

Poor Freckles...

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Go straight for the horse obits imo.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Horse... profit?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

What's your horse ROI?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Do you get deductions for hay and stuff? The IRS doesn't horse around for this stuff.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I bet they are just champing at the bit to go after people misclaiming their expenses.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

FrozenVent posted:

Do you get deductions for hay and stuff? The IRS doesn't horse around for this stuff.

Hay was COGS when I had a barn.

(There's a Coggins joke in there somewhere but I can't seem to find it)

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

The horse owners are inside the thread!!!

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

So um from an accounting perspective do you have horse equity?

How does one even amortize a horse anyway?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

The horse mortizes itself pretty quickly, usually.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

22 Eargesplitten posted:

The horse mortizes itself pretty quickly, usually.

Poor Freckles, thought of useful life and depreciated

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I looked up a bunch of horse terms to try and make a new pun and you guys already used all the good ones. I can't do poo poo with smegma or scours.

I did learn what a cross between a zebra and a horse is and I'm a little disappointed they didn't put more effort into the name. zorse

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Uh you can actually do a lot of poo poo with smegma.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

You gotta call him and see if you can convince him. I tried, but apparently it's a "good one" and he wants to have it on hand later when he "goes back to bread."

He's not gonna go through the return process.

He's going to be real sorry when he only has 2017 bread making technology when the iBread XIII comes out next year.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

cumshitter posted:

Uh you can actually do a lot of poo poo with smegma.

I'm sure someone on the darknet will buy it.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Smegma is the new sustainable textile for 2017.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Abort thread please abort

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib
Hm you could probably get use out of 'floating' i.e. floating loans and also the procedure you have to do about once a year to file a horse's teeth down because if you don't their teeth will grow unevenly and they'll chew their own mouth off while trying to eat, see blood, freak out, and die.