Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

NASA Mission Control.
but you can't "take that poo poo off any sweet jumps" :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

I've done something vaguely similar to Hey gals work except that instead of 17th century mercenaries I worked with 18th century priests, and for the most part Google Maps is pretty poo poo for that sort of thing, actually. In my case I was lucky as virtually all of my dudes come from Bavaria, and the Bavarian government offers easy online access to really detailed maps both current and historical (which came in pretty handy when I had to find locations that were abandoned at a later date), so I had that tab open pretty much all the time to see whether a village named x could be found. In some cases you have to get creative though, especially when your sources get creative likewise with the spelling, and ofc place names can change over time as well (like what is today Merching in Bavaria used to be called “Bayermenching“). Here Google books was a great help, since people in the late 18th/early 19th centuries really loved their detailed topographic works. I'd estimate that in about 15-20% of cases I still was unable to pin down the exact location, especially when it was some generic name like Neustadt which appears dozens of times all over Germany.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

slubice represent :poland:
Dammvorstadt?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

anglos really really want to believe that they defeated Napoleon by themselves which obviously requires being significantly more clever than the french

We've got a nasty habit of that yeah, we were just the money guy with the really nice distracting boats and a hate on for France.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I spent some time looking through registers of Midshipmen at Annapolis during the 19th century and it's interesting that you can see non-WASP names become more prominent as the years go by, although there were always a few exceptions (my favorite being a two guys named Colvocoresses).

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
will posting an excerpt from a book yet to be published do anything to my copyright

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Probably.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
poo poo, yall don't get my wicked sick names-of-dudes story then

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

System Metternich posted:

I've done something vaguely similar to Hey gals work except that instead of 17th century mercenaries I worked with 18th century priests, and for the most part Google Maps is pretty poo poo for that sort of thing, actually.
i found it not that bad if you're willing to spend a lot of time checking misspellings

i bet my czechs are undercounted though

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

SeanBeansShako posted:

Yeah basically if your city or region did sea trade, you will get non white european settling and working there and eventually putting down roots. It's super obvious but these crazy rascists don't see it. I bet in Bristol there are families that can trace their trading roots back to the 15th century.

I find it oddly fascinating with the weird Anglo-British obsession with the weird FRENCH COLUMNS stereotype even though we rarely mention the hilarious clusterfuck of the British Army having to learn again how to fight a modern war in the Revolutionary Wars and early Napoleonic Wars because one guy really bought into Frederick The Great.

Don't leave us hanging like that.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Siivola posted:

No keep going don't stop

Okay, quick and dirty post follows:

Basically after the American Revolution finished the British Army did a lot of soul searching and began to at least attempt to fix some of those short comings (they had an interesting performance in that conflict) and like always came up with some...mixed results.

Long story short, David Dundas really really had a hard on for Frederick The Great style tactics and did everything in his power to play down the light infantry actions during the conflict. It didn't help help that he himself was never involved in the war or was BFF with The Duke Of York who he dragged with him to watch the Prussian Army doing their parade ground reinactment routine.

Then Flanders happened, it was a embarassing clusterfuck of a campaign and they not only awkwardly brought in Cornwallis to fight the fire but also a man called Harry Calvert who had fought and saw action in the American War for Independence who teamed up with a now much older and wiser Duke of York (motivated by the biting satire of that certain rhyme) and with a few officers who were young men who saw service in the late 18th century started building the bad rear end army that Wellington would eventually helm.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

SeanBeansShako posted:

Long story short, David Dundas really really had a hard on for Frederick The Great

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Like seriously, dude showing up in Horse Guards a year or two after his retirement and casually sliding up several of his own made up Prussian inspired drill manuals and winking suggestively at the poor bastard on the other side of the desk.

I imagine a lot of the other European armies that emulated those tactics got an equal nasty shock when the Revolutionary French showed them the doorframe was rotton and one good kick would cause the whole thing to collapse.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

SeanBeansShako posted:

Like seriously, dude showing up in Horse Guards a year or two after his retirement and casually sliding up several of his own made up Prussian inspired drill manuals and winking suggestively at the poor bastard on the other side of the desk.

I imagine a lot of the other European armies that emulated those tactics got an equal nasty shock when the Revolutionary French showed them the doorframe was rotton and one good kick would cause the whole thing to collapse.
the thing with fredrick the great is you have to REALLY work to maintain that poo poo, his own idiot nephew couldn't even keep up the army good enough

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Can you please explain for me (and any other retards who may be present) how/why Frederick the Great's tactics were so dodgy?

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

HEY GAIL posted:

i found it not that bad if you're willing to spend a lot of time checking misspellings

i bet my czechs are undercounted though

Maybe it's better in the Saxony/Thuringia area but at least in my case it would happen often that I would look for, say, an “Arnhofen“ and Google either gives me something that's way out of the region I'd expect it to be or nothing at all. In a lot of cases the Bayern Atlas would give me a much better answer. This was especially bad when it came to tiny hamlets or isolated single farms that sometimes aren't even mapped by Google and only appear on the satellite imagery there

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

HEY GAIL posted:

Dammvorstadt?

do not disrespect greater poland, united and indivisble for all time!!!!!

edit: evidently the town spent 50k zlotych on a statue in honor of wikipedia

KYOON GRIFFEY JR fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Sep 22, 2017

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

System Metternich posted:

Maybe it's better in the Saxony/Thuringia area but at least in my case it would happen often that I would look for, say, an “Arnhofen“ and Google either gives me something that's way out of the region I'd expect it to be or nothing at all. In a lot of cases the Bayern Atlas would give me a much better answer. This was especially bad when it came to tiny hamlets or isolated single farms that sometimes aren't even mapped by Google and only appear on the satellite imagery there
typed in a name at random and a town with 123 people in it popped up, bavaria sucks at wikipedia
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beuden

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

GotLag posted:

Can you please explain for me (and any other retards who may be present) how/why Frederick the Great's tactics were so dodgy?
they're fiddly and require perfect training to be able to pull off under fire

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

The rank of Gefreiter went through a sad decline from the lowest rank that would be expected to give an order to someone, which in the German army today would be the Unteroffizier (Uffz) and indeed seems to map to corporal or squad leader, to just generic rank for post-basic soldier.

Today there are five ranks of Gefreiter up to Oberstabsgefreiter, affectionately known as NATO-Zebra or Pommesbude (french fry stand) for the rank insignia

and they're all on the spectrum pvt / pfc / spc / (terminal) lance.

Modern Bundeswehr rank structure is lovingly detailed, in the best German tradition. I've gotten the impression reading period Wehrmacht stuff that the Unteroffizier and Feldwebel ranks have shifted around a bit as well compared to how they seemed to be used when I was in ze Bundeswehr.

HEY GAIL posted:

speaking of statistics, i've read literally every muster roll from 1618-1651 in the saxon state archives and the places of origin of the guys who had that recorded look like this:

(not pictured: the baltic coast. There's dudes from there as far north as Talinn.)

Awesome. Is there a guy from Freiburg(Breisgau)?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

aphid_licker posted:

Awesome. Is there a guy from Freiburg(Breisgau)?
drowned out by the noise from freiberg (saxony), i'm afraid. One dude from Breisgau tho. Michael Otto, common soldier, 1636.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

HEY GAIL posted:

Oh, yeah, I can see how that would cause issues

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

HEY GAIL posted:

speaking of statistics, i've read literally every muster roll from 1618-1651 in the saxon state archives and the places of origin of the guys who had that recorded look like this:

(not pictured: the baltic coast. There's dudes from there as far north as Talinn.)

What town is the northern Brit from? Looks like it could be mine.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Looks like Lincoln to me.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

FAUXTON posted:

I'm imagining big columns of pantalons-rouges marching into volley after volley, screaming the drat marsellaise to keep everyone from fleeing lol

I thought the Marseillaise was a song from a group rebelling against the revolutionary government?

Anyway when the Imperial Army was attacking their war cry was more like:

*fast march beat, stomping feat at 80 BPM*

(Fast Drum Beat) Ba-Rum-De-Dum-Dum
(Shout in time) Vive l'Emperour!

The accounts of it make it sound quite intimidating.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Don't have the time to read any responses I got, just have to post and say that Dendra panoply is stupid as gently caress:

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

lenoon posted:

What town is the northern Brit from? Looks like it could be mine.
I'm unfamiliar with English geography, we have Kingston, Kinthal, Lincoln, a whole bunch of "unknowns" (defaults to nation's capitol), Shropshire in general, and a place the musterschreiber knew only as "Epertin" (Aberdeen? does it make sense for a Saxon in the 1620s not to know the difference between an English person and a Scot?) Mostly from the 1620s. Any of those look right?

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

HEY GAIL posted:

drowned out by the noise from freiberg (saxony), i'm afraid. One dude from Breisgau tho. Michael Otto, common soldier, 1636.

Aw yeah :kimchi:

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

FAUXTON posted:

I'm imagining big columns of pantalons-rouges marching into volley after volley, screaming the drat marsellaise to keep everyone from fleeing lol

cran, yall

Can't wait to try your upcoming tower defense game

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Fangz posted:

Nassim Taleb is a walking talking case of Dunning Kruger syndrome who thinks writing a book about how 'sometimes unexpected things happen' makes you better than the experts in everything. I've been aware of his antics for a while.

He's also an anti-GMO nutbag. Dunning-Kruger syndrome is really hitting the nail on the head.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
there's probably plenty of dudes from freiburg am breisigau tbh, i just can't find them because how could you tell

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Murgos posted:

I thought the Marseillaise was a song from a group rebelling against the revolutionary government?

Anyway when the Imperial Army was attacking their war cry was more like:

*fast march beat, stomping feat at 80 BPM*

The accounts of it make it sound quite intimidating.

nah it was like 100% from the beginning a song about protecting the republic/revolution against the coalition

it talks a lot of poo poo about kings

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

HEY GAIL posted:

there's probably plenty of dudes from freiburg am breisigau tbh, i just can't find them because how could you tell

Yah. One day we will destroy Freiburg (Elbe) and Freiberg (Sachsen) and then we can finally live with dignity

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I'm still like a hundred pages back to catch up on, but now that I have a proper Kindle to read poo poo on at work , is there a list of goon-recommended milhist ebooks I can start spending money on instead of model kits? I've already read both WW1 Day By Day books and I need more historical input, dammit :argh:

There's really no one specific area I'm interested in, so any and all recommendations are welcomed. My great-granddad was infantry (no, I have no idea what unit or anything) in WWII, so stuff in that vein has a familial interest.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Malachite_Dragon posted:

I'm still like a hundred pages back to catch up on, but now that I have a proper Kindle to read poo poo on at work , is there a list of goon-recommended milhist ebooks I can start spending money on instead of model kits? I've already read both WW1 Day By Day books and I need more historical input, dammit :argh:

There's really no one specific area I'm interested in, so any and all recommendations are welcomed. My great-granddad was infantry (no, I have no idea what unit or anything) in WWII, so stuff in that vein has a familial interest.

https://www.goodreads.com/group/show/133084-goons-and-their-military-history

shattered sword is always a good one, gets brought up a lot in the thread when we start talking about the IJN.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Hey gal, any Lithuanians in your rolls?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

HEY GAIL posted:

I might be rubbish with my geography here but the terrain (east Prussia and Poland is mostly plains with swamps with minor forresty bits right?) and army composition of the enemy you are fighting helps or hinders such regimented tactics.

Also, the officer make up of each army is very different. The British Army infamous amateur gentlemans club alt employment routine for the first half of the 19th century doesn't help for example.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

JcDent posted:

Hey gal, any Lithuanians in your rolls?
there are several people from the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth but none from what is now Lithuania. A bunch of Livonians. Here is a zoom-out of my first map. I ended up not using it because at this resolution, Germany is just a blob.

See the Baltic cities? :3:

Bourricot
Aug 7, 2016

aphid_licker posted:

Yah. One day we will destroy Freiburg (Elbe) and Freiberg (Sachsen) and then we can finally live with dignity

There's also the one in Switzerland.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

HEY GAIL posted:

See the Baltic cities? :3:

What is that speck in Bumfuck, Finland? Frankfurt-am-Siikajoki?