Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

El Pollo Blanco posted:

Your 'entirely anecdotal perception problem' and describing some leftists as being a 'bit glib' about minority issues is telling. Why should minorities trust that leftists actually have their best interests at heart when their concerns are often written off like this, just as an appropriation of Liberals to attack leftists more?

This is a little nauseating, given how readily centrists erase people of color, women, and LGBT folks who support a more leftist agenda. And "minorities" should trust that leftists actually have their best interests at heart, if those leftists show that they understand and give a poo poo about their interests. I'm sorry, but your whole line of argument is pretty unconvincing, given how often leftists here are told that people who pushed for welfare reform and the '94 crime bill are "the candidate(s) of black people."

Majorian fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Sep 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

Majorian posted:

This is a little nauseating, given how readily centrists erase people of color, women, and LGBT folks who support a more leftist agenda.

This is disingenuous whataboutism at its best, and does not address anything I have said.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

El Pollo Blanco posted:

This is disingenuous whataboutism at its best, and does not address anything I have said.

Your "criticism" is only valid if you present a better alternative, which you do not, on account of cherry picking which voices get to be heard and which get to be silenced.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

El Pollo Blanco posted:

All of your posts so far in this discussion have been some of the most shameless whataboutism I've ever seen. I mean, look at this poo poo:

El Pollo Blanco posted:

I agree, a lot of leftists idealistically feel that Keynesian or some form of Nordic model (lol) econ policy alone can fix racism, in pretty much the same way that Libertarians think that free-market economics fixes racism through their stupid rational actor theory.

No one here is arguing that.:psyduck:

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

imo, economic justice and social justice are both important, cause without both you can't have actual justice.

both need to be pursued at the same time, and progress in one can help with progress in the other imo.

if you meet someone who's telling you that social justice is unimportant, they're not actually leftist. we might be able to get them to vote for the dems with good policies on economic justice, but dems should not give up on social justice to appeal to them.

ditto for the other way around. the dems should not hide from economic justice and focus only on social justice to appeal to socially-liberal/economically-conservative types

PoC both need to be treated like human beings in this nation and that involves both making sure they're not being murdered by police and being redlined out of certain areas, but also that they are receiving equal pay for their work, good pay for their work that lets them live a decent life, and equal access to jobs

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Why do the "we can't focus too much on the economy when we should be fixing racism" literally never talk at all about how to fix racism.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Did I miss housing chat? I just wanted to say that every drat apartment complex that goes up should be forced to take 10% subsidised tennants.

Normally my solution is massive construction projects, but that doesnt work well for housing. I think we should strive to eliminate low income as a concept all together in housing. Not in the gentrifying poor areas, but in the going forward gently caress you this rich apartment complex will take a portion of people in need of housing. I hate the trend of all subsidised housing going in just certain neighborhoods. Its modern day segregation and it is sick.

Also gently caress this year for making it impossible to know if im left or liberal or a cuck.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

a specific social justice policy i would like to see the dems go in hard on is ending the war on drugs. civil asset forfeiture, imprisonment for marijuana, etc are used to suppress minorities, and always have been.

black people are arrested for drug use at a much greater rate than white people despite using drugs much less. civil asset forfeiture is used to steal whatever wealth they manage to accumulate and hand it to white people at a discount, which has been something racists have been doing since jim crow and probably earlier than that. worse yet, the war on drugs is used as an easy way to get more free prison labor, which is being sold to companies

all of that has to stop

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

Majorian posted:

All of your posts so far in this discussion have been some of the most shameless whataboutism I've ever seen. I mean, look at this poo poo:

No one here is arguing that.:psyduck:

How is this whataboutism? I'm pointing out that I do not believe that economic solutions alone will solve these issues, but I still believe everyone's lives will be made better through leftist economic policy.

steinrokkan posted:

Why do the "we can't focus too much on the economy when we should be fixing racism" literally never talk at all about how to fix racism.

I'm saying that in order to fix both at the same time, you need a big tent of leftism that embraces the concerns of a lot of different groups.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

Condiv posted:

imo, economic justice and social justice are both important, cause without both you can't have actual justice.

both need to be pursued at the same time, and progress in one can help with progress in the other imo.

if you meet someone who's telling you that social justice is unimportant, they're not actually leftist. we might be able to get them to vote for the dems with good policies on economic justice, but dems should not give up on social justice to appeal to them.

ditto for the other way around. the dems should not hide from economic justice and focus only on social justice to appeal to socially-liberal/economically-conservative types

PoC both need to be treated like human beings in this nation and that involves both making sure they're not being murdered by police and being redlined out of certain areas, but also that they are receiving equal pay for their work, good pay for their work that lets them live a decent life, and equal access to jobs

I agree with this p much 100%.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

El Pollo Blanco posted:

I'm saying that in order to fix both at the same time, you need a big tent of leftism that embraces the concerns of a lot of different groups.

The current progressive movement is as a big tent as it gets. Judging its overall dynamics on the words of a small number of misguided reductionists is clearly not arguing in good faith. Imagine if the whole Democratic party had to make an address every time one of their supporters said something stupid.

There is clearly a double standard where the progressives have to apologize for every misstep of anybody vaguely associated with them, while the Dems get the benefit of the doubt even after decades of screwing over their constituents.

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Sep 22, 2017

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

El Pollo Blanco posted:

How is this whataboutism? I'm pointing out that I do not believe that economic solutions alone will solve these issues, but I still believe everyone's lives will be made better through leftist economic policy.

Your posts strongly suggested that you thought leftists here disagree with that position, when that's not the case:

El Pollo Blanco posted:

Have you considered the possibility that the criticism of the leftist position of 'only economic leftism will solve racism/sexism etc' doesn't only come from centrist Liberals? Like it's possible to believe in genuinely leftist economic positions, but also criticise leftists' constant mockery of social justice issues they see as coming from a place of wealthy Liberal privilege? This isn't some dumb zero sum game.

I mean, seriously, who did you think you were arguing against here?:psyduck:

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Condiv posted:

a specific social justice policy i would like to see the dems go in hard on is ending the war on drugs. civil asset forfeiture, imprisonment for marijuana, etc are used to suppress minorities, and always have been.

black people are arrested for drug use at a much greater rate than white people despite using drugs much less. civil asset forfeiture is used to steal whatever wealth they manage to accumulate and hand it to white people at a discount, which has been something racists have been doing since jim crow and probably earlier than that. worse yet, the war on drugs is used as an easy way to get more free prison labor, which is being sold to companies

all of that has to stop

I agree 100%. I grew up in a county that constantly got in hot poo poo for basically being racist SOB's and it steams me like nothing else when I read about those counties on the border with LA getting all that money by stealing people's cars as they cross from Louisiana.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
Kinda left wondering why some concerns over racial issues is being taken as a repudiation of the movement.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Der Waffle Mous posted:

Kinda left wondering why some concerns over racial issues is being taken as a repudiation of the movement.

it's related to primary chat, and so cannot be fully discussed here

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

Also gently caress this year for making it impossible to know if im left or liberal or a cuck.

We're all cucks here.

Also it's actually real easy to fight for more than one thing at a time, so if someone is giving you that better season bullshit they aren't fighting for anything but a status quo you'd like to change. Not a good ally, SAD.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I think my problem is the ways id change things differ in some respects that make people want to make me out to be an entirely different faction. It doesnt help that the definition of leftism has changed so much over the decades of my life.

But still, we are definetly all cucks here.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

El Pollo Blanco posted:

Your 'entirely anecdotal perception problem' and describing some leftists as being a 'bit glib' about minority issues is telling. Why should minorities trust that leftists actually have their best interests at heart when their concerns are often written off like this, just as an appropriation of Liberals to attack leftists more?

Well it's kind of a Catch-22 then, isn't it? If they can never prove their sincerity to the questioner's satisfaction because that questioner has been disappointed in the past, they eventually lose the incentive to even try.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

I think my problem is the ways id change things differ in some respects that make people want to make me out to be an entirely different faction. It doesnt help that the definition of leftism has changed so much over the decades of my life.

But still, we are definetly all cucks here.

just have faith in what you are. even i've been called a centrist before

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!

Der Waffle Mous posted:

Because politically motivated accusations of sexism and racism are being used to attack and discredit the left.

(NOTE: This post does not carry the implication that all such accusations are politically motivated.)

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Der Waffle Mous posted:

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/2017/08/10/how_identity_politics_became_a_weapon_vs_the_left_418008.html

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Der Waffle Mous posted:

People who proclaim themselves leftists on the internet have very thin skin.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

Condiv posted:

https://twitter.com/jcassano/status/910987746440892418

dems shouldn't be advancing the causes of saudi arabia either....

This is pretty disgusting. Russian shills swayed the election! Oh wait, here are some shills of our own. It's so throughly naked.

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008
Thom Avella (an anarchist, admittedly) slams leftbook for being the worst kind of leftism (pro-authoritarian, anti-feminist, anti-sex workers, anti-asexuality): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ApOvcsNIYg

So yeah, lots of "regular" leftists can be poo poo about idpol (and not just the rainbow capitalism variety of idpol).

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Anti-asexuality is just so problematic.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Please please please take it to the dem thread Jesus loving Christ

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Mostly not serious, though I do definitely remember some people trying to use it in very disparaging/insulting ways.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

This is the dem thread now. The awful Democratic Party is a quintessential aspect of U.S. Politics.

Fuck Whitey
Nov 9, 2016

by SA Support Robot

Rex-Goliath posted:

Please please please take it to the dem thread Jesus loving Christ

Welcome to demthread Comrade

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Pembroke Fuse posted:

Thom Avella (an anarchist, admittedly) slams leftbook for being the worst kind of leftism (pro-authoritarian, anti-feminist, anti-sex workers, anti-asexuality): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ApOvcsNIYg

So yeah, lots of "regular" leftists can be poo poo about idpol (and not just the rainbow capitalism variety of idpol).

Tbh, last I checked there's pro-sex worker feminists and anti-sex workers feminists. Not really sure on which side of that debate I fall...

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

Condiv posted:

Tbh, last I checked there's pro-sex worker feminists and anti-sex workers feminists. Not really sure on which side of that debate I fall...

There should be no feminists who are anti-sex workers, maybe some who are anti-sex work, though.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
You should be pro sex worker and anti sex work.

E: Or at least anti actually existing sex work.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Im not sure how pro pro authoritarian is either. I mean, when it comes to somethings I want the (Functional) state to step in. Using soldiers to enforce integration and what not. I dont really think the authority of the state is really something that everyone agrees on.

Also there are like 4 waves of feminism with differing views on sex and sex workers.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Taintrunner posted:

To not say that economic and racial injustice are not directly intertwined is directly ahistorical and utterly reprehensible.

They are intertwined, yes. However, they are not literally the same. Economic inequality is a major factor in racial inequality, but if you waved your magic want and instantly abolished class and completely eliminated economic inequality, racial inequality would still exist. The effects would be lessened, but many would still be there. Discrimination has deep ties to economics, but it's become so deeply rooted in our culture that it goes well beyond just economics. Economics is definitely a very important piece of the problem, but the message can't stop there - and if your response to concerns like this is to dismiss them as centrist propaganda and go on to browbeat minorities for not being convinced by your message, then you're absolutely part of the problem.

steinrokkan posted:

The current progressive movement is as a big tent as it gets. Judging its overall dynamics on the words of a small number of misguided reductionists is clearly not arguing in good faith. Imagine if the whole Democratic party had to make an address every time one of their supporters said something stupid.

There is clearly a double standard where the progressives have to apologize for every misstep of anybody vaguely associated with them, while the Dems get the benefit of the doubt even after decades of screwing over their constituents.

What's wrong with apologizing? Why is it that when. presented with the concerns of actual minorities, you have to get super defensive and declare their opinions to be not only incorrect but also straight-up illegitimate? Yes, I think Bernie's policies would probably have been better for black Americans than Hillary's policies, but that doesn't mean they were obligated to recognize that and vote Bernie. He had to convince them and build relationships with minority communities, and his attempts there were largely too little, too late. You want to talk double standards? How about the fact that poor rural areas voting for Trump over Clinton is explained away as "well, she would've been better for them, but it's the candidate's job to convince people of that and she clearly failed", but the same justification isn't being applied to non-millenial minorities voting Hillary in the primary?

I think I've drifted a bit away from my point, which is, again: what's wrong with apologizing? Minority communities have endured centuries of injustice, the least you could do is acknowledge that maybe their complaints have some merit and are worth listening to and engaging with, even if you don't agree with them yourself! When you get defensive and insist that their problems are made-up or so minimal that they must not be arguing in good faith, you're dismissing and minimizing their concerns and feelings as straight-up not valid. When you insist that there's no need to specifically talk about racial inequality because cops won't shoot non-poor black people, you're ignoring the very real problems they face and declaring that the injustices of their daily life don't merit special attention. Why can't you just say "yes, absolutely, racism is bad and racial equality is an important priority" without bracketing it with an indignant rant about how you don't need to apologize because it's a made-up problem invented by Hillary Clinton to bring leftists down?

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

Im not sure how pro pro authoritarian is either. I mean, when it comes to somethings I want the (Functional) state to step in. Using soldiers to enforce integration and what not. I dont really think the authority of the state is really something that everyone agrees on.

Also there are like 4 waves of feminism with differing views on sex and sex workers.

1. Pro-authoritarian refers in this case to genuflecting towards or attempting to downplay the worst "excesses" of the USSR, PRC, NK and the rest. The left's answer to "there was no holocaust but I wish there were" is "there were no gulags, but I wish there were", etc. Obviously, I don't disagree with the notion that so long as you have and need states, you will be using state power to get things done.

2. SWERFs are pretty bad though. Also, not all waves were alike. Presumably we no longer subscribe to the "you gave n*****s the vote, how come white women can't vote?" wave of feminism.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
I dunno man, I'm a Jew who's pretty upset sometimes by leftist antisemitism and the refusal to acknowledge and engage with it when it's pointed out. But uh that doesn't mean I need Bernie Sanders to publicly whip himself and apologize for the nasty attitudes of people who agree with some of his ideas. As far as I can tell leftists aren't proposing legislation or ideas that actively harm minorities (unlike dems in the 90s) unless there's something I'm missing. Like, lots of people in other minority rights groups end up subscribing to sometimes nasty antisemitic ideas as well but I'm not gonna refuse to support them unless they apologize to me because of the behavior of some people who are ideologically related. Why are leftists held to this standard but other groups aren't?

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Casey Finnigan posted:

I dunno man, I'm a Jew who's pretty upset sometimes by leftist antisemitism and the refusal to acknowledge and engage with it when it's pointed out. But uh that doesn't mean I need Bernie Sanders to publicly whip himself and apologize for the nasty attitudes of people who agree with some of his ideas. As far as I can tell leftists aren't proposing legislation or ideas that actively harm minorities (unlike dems in the 90s) unless there's something I'm missing. Like, lots of people in other minority rights groups end up subscribing to sometimes nasty antisemitic ideas as well but I'm not gonna refuse to support them unless they apologize to me because of the behavior of some people who are ideologically related. Why are leftists held to this standard but other groups aren't?

please tell me who is asking Bernie to self-flagellate.

There is a big difference between that and asking someone to denounce the shittiness of their supporters. (Which is why everyone wanted Trump to condemn neonazis, if you recall)

It seems more and more that certain leftists are ready to throw black people under the bus because they're not getting their way. Racism is a thing that needs to be addressed, and it can not be fixed by economics alone. Bernie himself had said in the primary that economical changes were his anti-racism plan. He has put forward no plans to deal with the justice system, which needs to be fixed from top to bottom. No plans (that I recall) to deal with those hunting down black folks in the streets. Why would black people jump from a candidate who has been working with our community for decades to some guy who clearly does not want to make our interests a priority?

And just everyone can get their poo poo straight: I am saying this as a black person who voted for Bernie in MI primary so you're loving welcome.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

authoritarian "leftists" are tankies who just regurgitate russian nonsense and are seen as leftist because they say they're "anti-imperialist" :laffo:

Main Paineframe posted:

When you insist that there's no need to specifically talk about racial inequality because cops won't shoot non-poor black people, you're ignoring the very real problems they face and declaring that the injustices of their daily life don't merit special attention. Why can't you just say "yes, absolutely, racism is bad and racial equality is an important priority" without bracketing it with an indignant rant about how you don't need to apologize because it's a made-up problem invented by Hillary Clinton to bring leftists down?

who is insisting that? that post certainly wasn't. of course racial injustice deserves special attention. what kind of idiot would claim that it didn't? the "made-up" part is the way any mention of how class and race are intersectional issues, or any discussion of class in general, is used to claim that leftists are not treating racial justice as a serious priority.

there is a tendency in these discussions to read the other side as being as extreme as possible, in this instance, reading the posts you quoted as claiming that all criticism of the left on racial justice issues is illegitimate and coordinated by third way democrats. this is simply not true; when leftists misstep on racial justice issues, there are PoC within and outside of the left who rightly criticize, and this is good. there has been, however, an ongoing effort in the NYT, op-eds in general, and on twitter from the (almost entirely white) democratic establishment to straight-up lie about the demographics and opinions of bernie supporters, you know the stereotype by now - young white "bernie bros" who are racist and sexist and just want free stuff - thereby erasing PoC leftists, including extremely prominent ones like nina turner, in the process.

these are separate phenomena. one is legitimate and the other is attempting to assassinate the movement's character because the democratic establishment genuinely believes in incrementalism for incrementalism's sake and are very uncomfortable with the idea that their base wants more ambitious ideas.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Casey Finnigan posted:

Yeah, I mean, Donald Trump didn't apologize for having some open racists among his supporters, so why should anyone else have to? Clearly "maybe you should say that racism is bad" is just an unfair double standard demand cooked up by the dastardly centrist conspiracy to attack Bernie Sanders!

Again, what exactly is wrong with saying "racism is bad"? What is wrong with condemning it and rejecting racists, instead of going on a defensive rant about how it doesn't really matter? Are you afraid that having the guts to acknowledge that racism exists everywhere will make you look worse than the movement whose most prominent member right now is a literal loving slaveowner? It's nice that you aren't bothered by it, but I'm also a Jewish person who's pretty upset about leftist antisemitism and it does bother me when people ignore it. I'm strongly pro-Palestine, but that doesn't mean I'm going to keep quiet and get defensive when a fellow member of the pro-Palestine movement says something anti-Semitic. If you don't want to hold yourself or groups you participate in to the same standard, good for you, but I'm going to hold them to that standard regardless of what you think about it because racism is too important of a problem to minimize and dismiss like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Koalas March posted:

He has put forward no plans to deal with the justice system, which needs to be fixed from top to bottom. No plans (that I recall) to deal with those hunting down black folks in the streets. Why would black people jump from a candidate who has been working with our community for decades to some guy who clearly does not want to make our interests a priority?

just entirely wrong

https://berniesanders.com/issues/racial-justice/

quote:

ADDRESSING PHYSICAL VIOLENCE
It is an outrage that in these early years of the 21st century we are seeing intolerable acts of violence being perpetrated by police and racist acts of terrorism by white supremacists.

A growing number of communities do not trust the police. Law enforcement officers have become disconnected from the communities they are sworn to protect. Violence and brutality of any kind, particularly at the hands of the police meant to protect and serve our communities, is unacceptable and must not be tolerated. We need a societal transformation to make it clear that black lives matter and racism will not be accepted in a civilized country.

We must demilitarize our police forces so they don’t look and act like invading armies.
We must invest in community policing. Only when we get officers into the communities, working within neighborhoods before trouble arises, do we develop the relationships necessary to make our communities safer together. Among other things, that means increasing civilian oversight of police departments.
We must create a police culture that allows for good officers to report the actions of bad officers without fear of retaliation and allows for a department to follow through on such reports.
We need police forces that reflect the diversity of our communities, including in the training academies and leadership.
At the federal level, we need to establish a new model police training program that reorients the way we do law enforcement in this country. With input from a broad segment of the community including activists and leaders from civil rights organizations we will reinvent how we police America.
We need to federally fund and require body cameras for law enforcement officers to make it easier to hold them accountable.
We need to require police departments and states to collect data on all police shootings and deaths that take place while in police custody and make that data public.
We need new rules on the allowable use of force. Police officers need to be trained to de-escalate confrontations and to humanely interact with people who have mental illnesses.
States and localities that make progress in this area should get more federal justice grant money. Those that do not should get their funding slashed.
We need to make sure federal resources are there to crack down on the illegal activities of hate groups.
POLITICAL VIOLENCE
DISENFRANCHISEMENT
In the shameful days of open segregation, literacy laws and poll taxes were used to suppress minority voting. Today, through other laws and actions — such as requiring voters to show photo ID, discriminatory drawing of Congressional districts, restricting same-day registration and early voting and aggressively purging voter rolls — states are taking steps which have a similar effect.

The patterns are unmistakable. 11 percent of eligible voters do not have a photo ID—and they are disproportionately black and Latino. In 2012, African-Americans waited twice as long to vote as whites. Some voters in minority precincts waited upwards of six or seven hours to cast a ballot. Meanwhile, thirteen percent of African-American men have lost the right to vote due to felony convictions.

Yet in 2013, the Supreme Court struck down a key part of the seminal Voting Rights Act, even while saying “voting discrimination still exists; no one doubts that.”

This should offend the conscience of every American.

The fight for minority voting rights is a fight for justice. It is inseparable from the struggle for democracy itself.

ADDRESSING POLITICAL VIOLENCE
We need to re-enfranchise the more than two million African-Americans who have had their right to vote taken away by a felony conviction, paid their debt to society, and deserve to have their rights restored.
Congress must restore the “pre-clearance” formula under the Voting Rights Act, which extended protections to minority voters in states and counties where they were clearly needed.
We must expand the Act’s scope so that every American, regardless of skin color or national origin, is able to vote freely.
We need to make Election Day a federal holiday to increase voters’ ability to participate.
We must make early voting an option for voters who work or study and need the flexibility to vote on evenings or weekends.
We must make no-fault absentee ballots an option for all Americans.
We must automatically register every American to vote when they turn 18 or move to a new state. The burden of registering voters should be on the state, not the individual voter.
We must put an end to discriminatory laws and the purging of minority-community names from voting rolls.
We need to make sure that there are sufficient polling places and poll workers to prevent long lines from forming at the polls anywhere.
LEGAL VIOLENCE
Millions of lives have been destroyed because people are in jail for nonviolent crimes. For decades, we have been engaged in a failed “War on Drugs” with racially-biased mandatory minimums that punish people of color unfairly.
It is an obscenity that we stigmatize so many young Americans with a criminal record for smoking marijuana, but not one major Wall Street executive has been prosecuted for causing the near collapse of our entire economy. This must change.

If current trends continue, one in four black males born today can expect to spend time in prison during their lifetime. Blacks are imprisoned at six times the rate of whites and a report by the Department of Justice found that blacks were three times more likely to be searched during a traffic stop, compared to white motorists. Together, African-Americans and Latinos comprised 57 percent of all prisoners in 2014, even though African-Americans and Latinos make up approximately one quarter of the US population. These outcomes are not reflective of increased crime by communities of color, but rather a disparity in enforcement and reporting mechanisms. African-Americans are twice as likely to be arrested and almost four times as likely to experience the use of force during encounters with the police. This is an unspeakable tragedy.

It is morally repugnant that we have privatized prisons all over America. Corporations should not be allowed to make a profit by building more jails and keeping more Americans behind bars. We have got to end the private for-profit prison racket in America. Sen. Sanders has introduced legislation that will end the private prison industry.

The measure of success for law enforcement should not be how many people get locked up. We need to invest in drug courts as well as medical and mental health interventions for people with substance abuse problems, so that people struggling with addiction do not end up in prison, they end up in treatment.

For people who have committed crimes that have landed them in jail, there needs to be a path back from prison. The federal system of parole needs to be reinstated. We need real education and real skills training for the incarcerated.

We must end the over-incarceration of nonviolent young Americans who do not pose a serious threat to our society. It is an international embarrassment that we have more people locked up in jail than any other country on earth – more than even the Communist totalitarian state of China. That has got to end.

We must address the lingering unjust stereotypes that lead to the labeling of black youths as “thugs” and “super predators.” We know the truth that, like every community in this country, the vast majority of people of color are trying to work hard, play by the rules and raise their children. It’s time to stop demonizing minority communities.

In many cities all over our country, the incentives for policing are upside down. Departments are bringing in substantial sums of revenue by seizing the personal property of people who are suspected of criminal involvement. So-called civil asset forfeiture laws allow police to take property from people even before they are charged with a crime, much less convicted of one. Even worse, the system works in a way that makes it very difficult and expensive for an innocent person to get his or her property back. We must end programs that actually reward officials for seizing assets without a criminal conviction or other lawful mandate. Departments and officers should not profit off of such seizures.

Local governments that rely on tickets and fines to pay bills can become dependent on implicit quotas for law enforcement. When policing is a source of revenue tied to the financial sustainability of agencies, officers are pressured to meet internal goals which can lead to unnecessary or unlawful traffic stops and citations which disproportionately affect people of color. Implicit quota systems promote racial stereotyping and breed distrust between officers and communities of color.

Furthermore, we must ensure police departments are not abusing avenues of due process to shield bad actors from accountability. Local governments and police management must show zero tolerance for abuses of police power at all levels. All employees of any kind deserve due process protections, but it must be clear that departments will vigorously investigate and, if necessary, prosecute every allegation of wrongdoing to the fullest extent.

ADDRESSING LEGAL VIOLENCE
We need to ban prisons for profit, which result in an over-incentive to arrest, jail and detain in order to keep prison beds full.
We need to turn back from the failed “War on Drugs” and eliminate mandatory minimums which result in sentencing disparities between black and white people.
We need to take marijuana off the federal government’s list of outlawed drugs.
We need to allow people in states which legalize marijuana to be able to fully participate in the banking system and not be subject to federal prosecution for using pot.
We need to invest in drug courts and medical and mental health interventions for people with substance abuse problems, so that they do not end up in prison, they end up in treatment.
We need to boost investments for programs that help people who have gone to jail rebuild their lives with education and job training.
We must investigate local governments that are using implicit or explicit quotas for arrests or stops.
We must stop local governments that are relying on fines, fees or asset forfeitures as a steady source of revenue.
Police departments must investigate all allegations of wrongdoing, especially those involving the use of force, and prosecute aggressively, if necessary. If departments are unwilling or unable to conduct such investigations, the Department of Justice must step in and handle it for them.
ECONOMIC VIOLENCE
Weeks before his death, Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. spoke to a union group in New York about what he called “the other America.”

“One America is flowing with the milk of prosperity and the honey of equality,” King said. “That America is the habitat of millions of people who have food and material necessities for their bodies, culture and education for their minds, freedom and human dignity for their spirits … But as we assemble here tonight, I’m sure that each of us is painfully aware of the fact that there is another America and that other America has a daily ugliness about it that transforms the buoyancy of hope into the fatigue of despair.”

The problem was structural, King said: “This country has socialism for the rich, rugged individualism for the poor.”

But what King saw in 1968 — and what we all should recognize today — is that it is necessary to try to address the rampant economic inequality while also taking on the issue of societal racism. We must simultaneously address the structural and institutional racism which exists in this country, while at the same time we vigorously attack the grotesque level of income and wealth inequality which is making the very rich much richer while everyone else — especially those in our minority communities – are becoming poorer.

In addition to the physical violence faced by too many in our country we need to look at the lives of black children and address some difficult facts. Black children, who make up just 18 percent of preschoolers, account for 48 percent of all out-of-school suspensions before kindergarten. We are failing our black children before kindergarten. Black students are expelled at three times the rate of white students. Black girls are suspended at higher rates than all other girls and most boys. According to the Department of Education, African-American students are more likely to suffer harsh punishments — suspensions and arrests — at school. Black students attend schools with higher concentrations of first-year teachers when compared with white students. Black students are more than three times as likely to attend schools where fewer than 60 percent of teachers meet all state certification and licensure requirements.

Communities of color also face the violence of economic deprivation. Let’s be frank: neighborhoods like those in west Baltimore, where Freddie Gray resided, suffer the most. However, the problem of economic immobility isn’t just a problem for young men like Freddie Gray. Despite hard-work and the will to get ahead, millions of Americans spend their entire lives struggling to survive on the economic treadmill.

We live at a time when most older workers have no retirement savings, and millions of working adults have no idea how they will ever retire in dignity. An unforeseen car accident, a medical emergency, or the loss of a job could send their lives into an economic tailspin. And the problems are even more serious when we consider race.

Let us not forget: It was the greed, recklessness and illegal behavior on Wall Street that nearly drove the economy off of a cliff seven years ago. While millions of Americans lost their jobs, homes, life savings and ability to send their kids to college, African-Americans who were steered into expensive subprime mortgages were the hardest hit.

Most black and Latino households have less than $350 in savings. The black unemployment rate has remained roughly twice as high as the white rate over the last 40 years, regardless of education. Real African-American youth unemployment is over 50 percent. African-American women earn 64 cents for every dollar white men make. This is unacceptable. The American people in general want change — they want a better deal. A fairer deal. A new deal. They want an America with laws and policies that truly reward hard work with economic mobility. They want an America that affords all of its citizens with the economic security to take risks and the opportunity to realize their full potential.

ADDRESSING ECONOMIC VIOLENCE
We need to give our children, regardless of their race or income, a fair shot at attending college. That’s why all public universities should be made tuition free. We should pay for that with a tax on Wall Street speculators.
We must invest $5.5 billion to create 1 million jobs for disadvantaged young Americans who face high unemployment rates and job-training opportunities for hundreds of thousands of young adults. We should pay for that by ending the loophole allowing Wall Street hedge fund managers to pay a lower tax rate than nurses or truck drivers.
We must increase the minimum wage to a livable wage of $15 an hour by 2020 —which will increase the wages of about half of African-Americans and nearly 60 percent of Latinos.
We must invest $1 trillion to put 13 million Americans to work rebuilding our crumbling cities, roads, bridges, public transportation systems, airports, drinking water systems and other infrastructure needs. We should pay for that by closing offshore tax loopholes.
We must pass federal legislation to ensure pay equity for women.
We must prevent employers from discriminating against applicants based on criminal history by “banning the box.”
We must promote policies to give the formerly incarcerated an opportunity for education, including expanding the Second Chance Pell Pilot Program and reentry programs.
We need to ensure access to quality affordable childcare for working families, especially for parents who work non-traditional hours.
We must fundamentally re-write our trade policies and rebuild factories that were closed as a result of bad trade deals.
ENVIRONMENTAL VIOLENCE
PERPETRATED BY POLLUTING INDUSTRIES
People of color disproportionately experience a daily assault on their health and environment. Communities of color are the hardest hit by air and water pollution from industrial factories, power plants, incinerators, chemical waste and lead contamination from old pipes and paint. At the same time, they lack access to parks, gardens and other recreational green space.

Like income inequality, environmental inequality is rapidly growing in the United States.

Black children are five times more likely than white children to have lead poisoning. Indigenous peoples are impacted disproportionately by destructive mining practices and the dumping of hazardous materials on their lands. As demonstrated by Hurricane Katrina, poor communities of color have a harder time escaping, surviving and recovering from climate-related disasters. Taken together, it is clear that people of color experience a disparate exposure to environmental hazards where they “work, live, and play.”

Nationwide, the health of communities is consistently ignored in favor of the profits of corporate polluters. The fact that people of color breathe 46 percent more nitrogen dioxide —which causes respiratory diseases and heart conditions — than whites helps explain why one in six African-American kids has asthma.

The environmental violence being inflicted on people of color who are denied the full rights of citizenship — especially migrant workers and new immigrants — is especially pronounced. Low-income Latino immigrants are more likely to live in areas with high levels of hazardous air pollution than anyone else. In fact, the odds of a Latino immigrant neighborhood being located in an area of high toxic pollution is one in three.

Latinos and African-Americans are more likely to work in hazardous jobs that place them at higher risk for serious occupational diseases, injuries and muscular-skeletal disabilities. The fatality rate among Latino workers is 23 percent higher than the fatal injury rate for all US workers. Often reluctant to complain about poor working conditions for fear of deportation or being fired, Mexican migrant workers are nearly twice as likely as the rest of the immigrant population to die at work. This is unacceptable and must be addressed.

Taken together, these injustices are largely the product of political marginalization and institutional racism. The less political power a community of color possesses, the more likely they are to experience insidious environmental and human health threats. The environmental violence being inflicted on these communities of color is taking a terrible toll, and must be made a national priority. Access to a clean and healthy environment is a fundamental right of citizenship. To deny such rights constitutes an environmental injustice that should never be tolerated.

ADDRESSING ENVIRONMENTAL VIOLENCE
We must protect low-income and minority communities, who are hit first and worst by the causes and impacts of climate change, while also protecting existing energy-sector workers as they transition into clean energy and other jobs.
We must have equal enforcement of environmental, civil rights and public health laws.
We need to address the inadequate environmental cleanup efforts of Superfund hazardous waste sites in communities of color.
We must stop the unequal exposure of people of color to harmful chemicals, pesticides and other toxins in homes, schools, neighborhoods and workplaces and challenge faulty assumptions in calculating, assessing and managing risks, discriminatory zoning and land-use practices and exclusionary policies.
Federal agencies must develop and implement clear, strategic plans to achieve climate and environmental justice and provide targeted action where the needs are greatest.
The environmental analysis for a permit for a polluting facility must consider the disparate and cumulative environmental burden borne by a community.
States should evaluate and report progress made on addressing climate and environmental injustice.
We need to mitigate climate change and focus on building resilience in low-income and minority communities.
We must promote cleaner manufacturing processes, renewable energy systems and safe product designs that end pollution and the use of toxic chemicals, while providing safe jobs and other economic benefits for people of color.

• Locked thread